Lost items NCL at fault....

So I was wondering if anyone had this happen, and if I have any other options.  I bought Ulu knives in Ketchikan AK and all knives are collected and then given back on disembarkation.  NCL gave the knives I purchased to someone else.  This person purchased 3 knives cheaper than the 4 I bought.  When she was handed my goods, she obviously knew they were not hers but took them any way, and so when I went to collect my items, they were not there.  NCL gave me a credit for the lost items, but I am so sad that these items that I purchased for gifts leave me empty handed.  

The cruise was fabulous, this was the only hiccup, just feeling like I waited to purchase these and now am empty handed.  

It seems to me that they were more concerned, and spent more time about how this happened, and not about what what could be done.  

Anyone have this happen with any items?  

1 hour ago, WindinmySails said:

It seems to me that they were more concerned, and spent more time about how this happened, and not about what what could be done.

They gave you your money and are focusing on fixing the root cause so that it doesn't happen again.  That sounds reasonable to me.  What else do you think could be done?  Fire the employee?  Call the police?

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They gave you your money and are focusing on fixing the root cause so that it doesn't happen again.  That sounds reasonable to me.  What else do you think could be done?  Fire the employee?  Call the police?

No, I understand that these things happen, as Cole said, it was unfortunate.....live and learn.  It was a reasonable compensation. No one should lose their job over this....mistakes happen, and it happened to me, just was feeling disappointment. I will be seeing about ordering one on line, but you know, just not quite the same.  Like I said, the cruise was amazing.

• Like 1

I am not familiar with the procedure, do you get confiscated items back at the moment of disembarkation? I thought it was the morning of or even the evening before, so the other person who took your knives would still be on board somewhere. I guess not. But I assume their name and cabin number was on their knives, so if it was something truly priceless there would be a way for NCL to track them down.

I guess the ship didn’t let you keep their cheapo knives? So they can write to NCL lost and found to claim them and eventually they will end up with ALL THE KNIVES. 

So sorry to hear this!  I know you were looking forward to choosing them specifically for people.

It’s too bad NCL didn’t specifically ticket each confiscated item (or package of items) then give you a corresponding claim ticket the same way hotel luggage storage works.

To the person who took @WindinmySails Ulu knives, give them back!!!!!

5 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

I am not familiar with the procedure, do you get confiscated items back at the moment of disembarkation? I thought it was the morning of or even the evening before, so the other person who took your knives would still be on board somewhere. I guess not. But I assume their name and cabin number was on their knives, so if it was something truly priceless there would be a way for NCL to track them down.

I guess the ship didn’t let you keep their cheapo knives? So they can write to NCL lost and found to claim them and eventually they will end up with ALL THE KNIVES. 

With the knives as you debark from the cruise they have a table set up with items taken...most were knives.  The system I would think works pretty well, just didn't for me this time.  Someone who bought 3 knive took my 4 more expensive knives....she knew...and hey Karma is a ....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

So sorry to hear this!  I know you were looking forward to choosing them specifically for people.

It’s too bad NCL didn’t specifically ticket each confiscated item (or package of items) then give you a corresponding claim ticket the same way hotel luggage storage works.

To the person who took @WindinmySails Ulu knives, give them back!!!!!

They did...just someone got dyslexic with the room numbers.  I understood the mistake.  I gave them my claim ticket...and they saw that they were already given to someone else, who signed in my signature space.  

9 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

I bought Ulu knives in Ketchikan AK and all knives are collected and then given back on disembarkation.  NCL gave the knives I purchased to someone else.  This person purchased 3 knives cheaper than the 4 I bought.  When she was handed my goods, she obviously knew they were not hers but took them any way, and so when I went to collect my items, they were not there. 

Not necessarily. The passenger also bought them as souvenirs and may not have memorized the exact ones that were bought. I know when I’m souvenir shopping I look at so many thing it just starts to become a blur. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I bought 4 sets on my recent Alaska cruise. This is the first I realized I was to have turned them in when I boarded. I just took them to the cabin with me. Oops. 

I wonder how they were not spotted by the x-ray machine when you reentered the ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder how they were not spotted by the x-ray machine when you reentered the ship.

That’s a pretty cursory inspection.

The person before them probably had a bottle of liquor and security was too excited confiscating that.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Not necessarily. The passenger also bought them as souvenirs and may not have memorized the exact ones that were bought. I know when I’m souvenir shopping I look at so many thing it just starts to become a blur. 

I agree it could’ve been accidental. I probably would’ve sent my husband who would’ve looked at the number and signed.

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I agree it could’ve been accidental. I probably would’ve sent my husband who would’ve looked at the number and signed.

Ditto:

But there's something special about buying something when you are there as opposed to buying it on lline.  Just about all of us do it....anyone can order a t-shirt "from Mexico"....but we like to buy them when in Mexico.  It shows the person (if a gift) that you were thinking of them or it brings back memories if "a self gift". 

My husband likes to buy me overpriced baubles on every trip...and every time I wear one of these baubles we discuss..."Remember on that trip blah blah blah".

There's really nothing NCL can do other than the compensation, which they did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I bought 4 sets on my recent Alaska cruise. This is the first I realized I was to have turned them in when I boarded. I just took them to the cabin with me. Oops. 

Although it's been a couple years now, I also bought some Ulu knives and I'm pretty sure they were not confiscated from me.

On the Encore last summer, the crew member at the x-ray machine asked me if we had a knife.  I replied that, yes, we had purchased an Ulu knife as a gift, and she just told me to take it to our cabin & leave it there.