How bad is Covid on Celebrity ships?

TomBeckCruise

We have a Canada/NE cruise booked on Summit for 8-31-22.Fanial payment is 5-23.  I don't think those itineraries have started yet, and I don't recall anyone posting about Covid on Summit recently.

Anyone know how things are going? Isn't X sailing at full capacity again?

We sailed on Regent Voyager in the Med 3-23 to 4-5.  The ship sailed at 70% capacity, but there were all kinds of problems.  In fairness it was the ships first cruise in 2 years. There were not enough workers onboard, and they were very poorly trained.  No problem with their effort though.  2.5-3 hour wait for dinner the first night.

Regent never mentioned Covid.  We were required to wear masks indoors except while eating or drinking or in our cabin.

Our friends tested positive at the end of the cruise.

• Thanks 2

Per the CDC, there are 74 ships sailing in US waters that are orange (more than 0.3% of passengers and crew have tested positive).  All of Celebrity's ships that are carrying passengers in US waters are orange, including the Summit.  Only 8 ships in US waters are green (no COVID cases) but some of those are ships that haven't started sailing yet so only have crew on them.  COVID is everywhere.

There are also reports across the industry (and in most industries) about a shortage of staff and service is being negatively affected by that.

I do not believe Celebrity is reducing passenger capacity by much anymore but demand still is down for some itineraries so many ships still are sailing at reduced capacity.  That will likely increase this summer and into the fall.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We have a Canada/NE cruise booked on Summit for 8-31-22.Fanial payment is 5-23.  I don't think those itineraries have started yet, and I don't recall anyone posting about Covid on Summit recently.

We sailed on Regent Voyager in the Med 3-23 to 4-5.  The ship sailed at 70% capacity, but there were all kinds of problems.  In fairness it was the ships first cruise in 2 years. There were not enough workers onboard, and they were very poorly trained.  No problem with their effort though.  2.5-3 hour wait for dinner the first night.

Regent never mentioned Covid.  We were required to wear masks indoors except while eating or drinking or in our cabin.

We just left the Eclipse Sunday after 11 nights from Hawaii to Vancouver.  One of our party of four tested positive at the airport.  Many from this cruise reported through various threads on this group and other social media related to our particular cruise having tested positive during the last half of the cruise or once ashore.  The captain mandated masks on day 8, but it was too little too late.  The dining room was eerily empty toward the end of the cruise.  It seemed as if half the passengers "disappeared".  Of course we were never told numbers, but a Delta agent said one of the cruises came in 50% positive that morning. Some of those continuing on to Alaska on the next cruise are reporting that the bars are now closed and dinner is taking long because of so many staff out with Covid.  On our cruise, many of the butlers and most of the concierge team were taken offline by Covid quarantine.  So I would say it is not going well.  I feel lucky that three of us avoided it, as the fourth is stuck in Canada for 5-12 days (there are other threads to detail what happens when you test positive in Canada).  After this experience, I'm done with cruising for the foreseeable future until things change significantly.  Just for information, it was my third cruise during this and the first two were no problem.  I assume that is because masks were still required and we didn't have yet another more contagious variant.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I was on Millie on the San Diego to Vancouver sailing. I did not see any significant changes that I could attibute to Covid.

Millie was not 100% capacity - we were told 1611 on board. It seemed a little higher than my sailing in October, especially breakfast in Oceanview Cafe. That seemed much busier.

~20-25% of passengers masked voluntarily. We were never asked to mask. I did not mask, but I spent a lot of time outside or socially distanced. I didn't go to shows or bars at night. I ate outside for breakfast no matter the temperature (it was cold!)

We have absolutely no idea what Covid will be like in August. Travel insurance is a good idea for anyone cruising right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On Apex right now. About 1700 guests, I think, no mention of Covid, no or very little hacking and coughing. Only spotty mask wearing by guests. I understand that there are still a number of people onboard from the TA that tested positive and are still quarantined 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just off Equinox 9 Day ABC Sunday. Over 200 passengers reported Covid, though Celebrity does not give official numbers. We had about 2200 passengers. Great cruise with fantastic crew, but many posted on another thread Covid numbers around 10 %. for this trip. And that doesn't include the "post cruise" infection rate. As for the CDC orange listing for Equinox, 0.3% or higher, Id ignore it. The CDC is not reporting actual numbers, certainaly 10% would pale the ship in a different category of risk. 

I am not planning another trip until quarantine protocols and reported numbers change dramatically. 

All the best.....See you on the next tack !

Edited by runningtide
  • Like 3

Unfortunately there is no way to know what Covid numbers may be like in August.  Right now Covid is surging (not yet as high as this winter) and no one knows when that will ebb.   These type viruses tend to lessen in the summer but with Covid who knows.  Generally (with some exceptions of course) there is less hospitalization and death for vaccinated people, but as far as we know there will still be the same quarantine rules onboard as today.  These cruises are some of the most popular and are generally fully booked.  I would be shocked if Celebrity lowered capacity on these cruises.  So I would expect that there will be cases onboard, and we just can't predict how many.  I wish we could.

We were on 4/21 Silhouette sailing. 2700 passengers.  Mostly British first cruising out of Southampton for the season. No masking, coughing started by day 2-3. Captain daily announced “a few cases…mild or asymptomatic…wash your hands(!)”.  We wore KN95 masks anytime out of cabin only removed for food and drink.  No shows.  By day 6 my partner tested positive and we self reported.  Last 3 days in quarantine in our cabin.  Rumor was deck 3 was full and we also guessed since very mild symptoms we stayed.  Time in quarantine was what you would expect.  Staff tried very hard but they were short staffed…we love them.  Every day was a battle with room service…how long for food?  1-3 hours depending on meal.  Phone would ring for 2 minutes then disconnect, call back, repeat.  Usually after 4-5 attempts a lovely lady would answer..she was always so nice yet I knew she must be losing her mind.  Over 100 positive cases “reported”. Many were not.  A number post cruises reported on FB positive.   We were stuck in London until obtaining a Covid recovery certificate.  No more overseas cruises until test to return is lifted.  Almost all support except onboard medical and credit for quarantine changed.5/1/22.  Better have insurance for interruption and a very clear understanding of what quarantine is and is not. We have hit the pause button so far and have a 7/6 final payment for a TA we really want to take but not so sure now…

Edited by 360Guy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

Eclipse on the current sailing to Alaska.  Was posted on one of the FB boards.

Completely closed such that there is no bar service?  Or just not allowing people to congregate up at the bar?  I recall another cruise line only providing service at tables (not at the bar) as a covid protocol earlier in the restart but completely closing bars seems a bit extreme.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Just assume that the virus is on Summit at some level now and will be in the future. Just plan for it as it is not going away.  And it will be around when you travel to Boston to meet the ship.  There is a surge in the entire Northeast right now from Omicron variants.  CDC just again advised masking indoors in the northeast states.  Maybe it will subside by end of August.  Maybe not.  Prepare for your cruise as if you could be in isolation on the ship and take the things you need.  And read the threads here from a significant number of people who have experienced it.  Other than being Up To Date on vaccines, there is not much you can do now anyway.  If this is too unsettling to deal with, consider whether you want to make final payment or not.  This is the current situation we all face right now.  Best of luck!

• Like 4

NO ONE can predict what the COVID situation will be at the end of August.  That's a very popular itinerary.  Otherwise, I would recommend you cancel now and then rebook a few weeks out from the cruise if you're anxious about COVID.

On Apex right now on quarantine.  Lots of us here.  Don't know numbers and they won't tell us.  From the people I have spoken to hanging out of our windows, we all self reported, so that's good.  We are hold overs from the trans Atlantic.  Yes, fully vaxxed and double boosted.  Wore masks on the shuttles into towns and in immigration line.  Did not get in crowds, etc.  No idea how we got infected.  Just bad luck.  Tested positive on day 5 of quarantine, so we will be released on day 10.  Which is now 2.5 more days to go.  Cannot wait to get out of this room

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just assume that the virus is on Summit at some level now and will be in the future. Just plan for it as it is not going away.  And it will be around when you travel to Boston to meet the ship.  There is a surge in the entire Northeast right now from Omicron variants.  CDC just again advised masking indoors in the northeast states.  Maybe it will subside by end of August.  Maybe not.  Prepare for your cruise as if you could be in isolation on the ship and take the things you need.  And read the threads here from a significant number of people who have experienced it.  Other than being Up To Date on vaccines, there is not much you can do now anyway.  If this is too unsettling to deal with, consider whether you want to make final payment or not.  This is the current situation we all face right now.  Best of luck!

Unless something changes I will be making our final payment in 4 days. If some deadly strain pops up I'll take a loss if necessary.

• Like 2

I would say just be prepared with A) say least 2 weeks extra of any medication. B) be sure you have flexible flights, hotel arrangement, etc. C) if you are working- if you miss work that may be a hardship/issue.  D) is pet care/childcare an issue and finally if you do have to quarantine, make sure you can handle the isolation.  My husband and I are together, the person next door to us is alone - for 10 days.  We also have Netflix, some cards, a cribbage board, etc.  So consider that.  And then hope for the best.  You may not get covid.  There's a ship full of people who did not

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Unless something changes I will be making our final payment in 4 days. If some deadly strain pops up I'll take a loss if necessary.

Edited by 360Guy
Would you have the cruise with confidence cancel and receive FCC option?

18 minutes ago, ehall said:

I would say just be prepared with A) say least 2 weeks extra of any medication. B) be sure you have flexible flights, hotel arrangement, etc. C) if you are working- if you miss work that may be a hardship/issue.  D) is pet care/childcare an issue and finally if you do have to quarantine, make sure you can handle the isolation.  My husband and I are together, the person next door to us is alone - for 10 days.  We also have Netflix, some cards, a cribbage board, etc.  So consider that.  And then hope for the best.  You may not get covid.  There's a ship full of people who did not

(A)Always take extra meds, (B) flights, hotel are no problem, (C)retired,(D)We should be able to get off the ship and drive home from a US port if we want? It's a Canada/NE cruise.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

The original booking was made months ago for a balcony cabin, and we upgraded to a sky suite about 3 weeks ago.    I'm not sure what we have.  I have looked at our reservation on the X website, and there is no mention of CWC , but I can't login right now. 

• Thanks 1

Currently on Reflection with about 1750 pax & 3 covid cases.    Lovely cruise with everything open.   Booked eclipse Hawaii for September, & a will probably add on Alaska for b2b.     Best wishes for those dealing with covid again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

This right here is the best advice.  If you are doing to cruise, plan for Covid because you have know way of knowing.  I boarded my cruise with a mild concern but not a plan, and we were not prepared.  Know the Covid rules in advance in your departure and arrival ports if outside the U.S. for a sudden positive test, and have a plan for what you will do if that happens.  It happened to us, we had no plan, and he had a lot of stressful scrambling and trying to figure things out all while receiving conflicting information.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

Completely closed such that there is no bar service?  Or just not allowing people to congregate up at the bar?  I recall another cruise line only providing service at tables (not at the bar) as a covid protocol earlier in the restart but completely closing bars seems a bit extreme.

The current cruise is not as active in posting, and I have seen no more about it.  

23 minutes ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

This right here is the best advice.  If you are doing to cruise, plan for Covid because you have know way of knowing.  I boarded my cruise with a mild concern but not a plan, and we were not prepared.  Know the Covid rules in advance in your departure and arrival ports if outside the U.S. for a sudden positive test, and have a plan for what you will do if that happens.  It happened to us, we had no plan, and he had a lot of stressful scrambling and trying to figure things out all while receiving conflicting information.  

Your honesty is refreshing;  I keep telling my DH that no matter how prepared we are that it can happen, even doing private tours with everything we can think of in case of quarantine.  Then there are the people who do just fine and have a great cruise.  I have been in school for 2 1/2 years without contacting Covid, but according to my MD, we will all get it sooner or later, some of us more than once.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 8