How bad is Covid on Celebrity ships?

TomTN

11 minutes ago, blueknight222 said:

Hello all! 

Are cruisers found positive for Covid by voluntarily testing? Is it random, contact tracing? Is it mandatory after exhibiting symtoms? Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to be educated 

In general if you have cold-like symptoms and you are honest enough to go to Medical or you call them, you will be tested.  If you shared a cabin with somebody testing positive, you will be tested.  There is also testing by contact tracing - but this seems less straight-forward from what people have reported here.  It seems that if you have had some sustained period (not well defined) with a person who tested positive, like at the same dining table or in an adjacent theatre seat, or in a crowded tour bus, you might be traced and tested.  If you want to be educated search the threads here as there is quite a lot of information from Celebrity passengers who were put in isolation.  There are a series of posts from @bananavanand others recently.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ehall said:

On Apex right now on quarantine.  Lots of us here.  Don't know numbers and they won't tell us.  From the people I have spoken to hanging out of our windows, we all self reported, so that's good.  We are hold overs from the trans Atlantic.  Yes, fully vaxxed and double boosted.  Wore masks on the shuttles into towns and in immigration line.  Did not get in crowds, etc.  No idea how we got infected.  Just bad luck.  Tested positive on day 5 of quarantine, so we will be released on day 10.  Which is now 2.5 more days to go.  Cannot wait to get out of this room

That stinks for everyone on your sailing that has to be quarantined, I’m sorry to hear that. Will Celebrity provide some sort of credit because you’re missing a lot of your vacation? My friends will be on Apex without us for the 5/26 sailing out of Amsterdam. We were supposed to be with them but my husband had prostate cancer surgery in March, and continues to make progress in his recovery but not well enough to travel. We are so bummed to not be joining them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In general if you have cold-like symptoms and you are honest enough to go to Medical or you call them, you will be tested.  If you shared a cabin with somebody testing positive, you will be tested.  There is also testing by contact tracing - but this seems less straight-forward from what people have reported here.  It seems that if you have had some sustained period (not well defined) with a person who tested positive, like at the same dining table or in an adjacent theatre seat, or in a crowded tour bus, you might be traced and tested.  If you want to be educated search the threads here as there is quite a lot of information from Celebrity passengers who were put in isolation.  There are a series of posts from @bananavanand others recently.

We realized that we had an obligation to report my husband's situation to the Medical  department when he tested positive in our suite on Day 8 of our Transatlantic. 
I was subsequently tested daily for 5 days, It turned into 6 because of other issues. 
Then when I started to feel like crap on Day 10 of his quarantine, I tested and went to the Medical center. 
I tested positive and have been in isolation until further notice. 
This started on April 30. .

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DianneLovesToCruise said:

That stinks for everyone on your sailing that has to be quarantined, I’m sorry to hear that. Will Celebrity provide some sort of credit because you’re missing a lot of your vacation? My friends will be on Apex without us for the 5/26 sailing out of Amsterdam. We were supposed to be with them but my husband had prostate cancer surgery in March, and continues to make progress in his recovery but not well enough to travel. We are so bummed to not be joining them.

DO NOT TRAVEL. 
My husband had PC surgery at the end of August. 
We had this cruise as our line of hope to get us through the difficulties. 
I know well what you are going through. 
This has been a true nightmare because unlike other countries, Italy has different policies. I have to test negative or else wait until May 30. We have been in confinement since April 30; 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DianneLovesToCruise said:

What Celebrity does depends on your departure point and date.  If you follow all the rules, you get a prorated future cruise credit or refund (your option, FFC is the default and you have to call for refund) for the days you are quarantined ON THE SHIP.  If you test positive on debarkation day, you are on your own and Celebrity is only involved if local law at your debarkation point requires it.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

What Celebrity does depends on your departure point and date.  If you follow all the rules, you get a prorated future cruise credit or refund (your option, FFC is the default and you have to call for refund) for the days you are quarantined ON THE SHIP.  If you test positive on debarkation day, you are on your own and Celebrity is only involved if local law at your debarkation point requires it.  

Thank you TBC for emphasizing that after 5/1/22 Celebrity will only cover onboard Covid care from medical and the FCC/refund for quarantine days. You should strongly consider trip insurance to cover interruption if disembarked and require quarantine past your scheduled return date.  No hotel or food per diem.  No air deviation cost coverage although they will assist with rebooking.  And cruise with confidence ends 9/30/22 also.  Factor these and all other aspects noted on previous posts as you make your decision.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are scheduled to sail the Silhouette on June 11 from Southampton. I had Covid , 10 days ago, mild, no fever, but still stuffiness. I have now tested NEGATIVE; 
my husband tests positive , but mild symptoms , some coughing.  We are hoping/ assuming by sail time we will both be negative. But reading, or trying to read all the CC comments( have not visited FB yet), it sounds like the Wild West. You really don’t know, from one ship to another , what you will be facing. Isolation was no fun, but at least we were in our own home. What is the point of being on a cruise if you have to be masked all the time or confined. I am wondering what the position of Celebrity with refunds in this instance. We are coming from Canada.. and thinking of just doing a UK visit w local tours? It just sounds like a real gamble to do any sort of cruising. Hopefully things will get better..

think I will contact Celebrity to determine what their/our  position is: I understand one can remain positive for a long time, so guess that means we need Certificates of Recovery? 
thankful to everyone on the CC for their info.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Decotraveller said:

We are scheduled to sail the Silhouette on June 11 from Southampton. I had Covid , 10 days ago, mild, no fever, but still stuffiness. I have now tested NEGATIVE; 
my husband tests positive , but mild symptoms , some coughing.  We are hoping/ assuming by sail time we will both be negative. But reading, or trying to read all the CC comments( have not visited FB yet), it sounds like the Wild West. You really don’t know, from one ship to another , what you will be facing. Isolation was no fun, but at least we were in our own home. What is the point of being on a cruise if you have to be masked all the time or confined. I am wondering what the position of Celebrity with refunds in this instance. We are coming from Canada.. and thinking of just doing a UK visit w local tours? It just sounds like a real gamble to do any sort of cruising. Hopefully things will get better..

think I will contact Celebrity to determine what their/our  position is: I understand one can remain positive for a long time, so guess that means we need Certificates of Recovery? 

You can sail with a certificate of recovery.  You will need to research providers online and provide your identification and a formal COVID positive test report.  Cost varies.  Check the Celebrity webpages for details on what the certificate requires.   You are within the time frame (10-90 days) prior to cruise.  I assume you can get one in Canada.  Best wishes!

3 hours ago, baggal said:

NO ONE can predict what the COVID situation will be at the end of August.  That's a very popular itinerary.  Otherwise, I would recommend you cancel now and then rebook a few weeks out from the cruise if you're anxious about COVID.

I have a cruise booked on Summit in a couple of weeks.  If I test positive I will just take the money and not book any new cruises for a while.  

I agree the best way to deal with a continually changing situation is to just wait until shortly before a potential cruise (maybe a month) and then book. Just way too many unknowns:  constantly changing itineraries (we will now be tendering in Bermuda), quality of service, changing travel requirements, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ehall said:

On Apex right now on quarantine.  Lots of us here.  Don't know numbers and they won't tell us.  From the people I have spoken to hanging out of our windows, we all self reported, so that's good.  We are hold overs from the trans Atlantic.  Yes, fully vaxxed and double boosted.  Wore masks on the shuttles into towns and in immigration line.  Did not get in crowds, etc.  No idea how we got infected.  Just bad luck.  Tested positive on day 5 of quarantine, so we will be released on day 10.  Which is now 2.5 more days to go.  Cannot wait to get out of this room

Hello neighbor. I'm also currently on deck 6 in quarantine and tested positive again on day 5. My DH chose to quarantine with me and has tested negative. I get out on Sunday and we plan to he very careful as DH will have to test Neg to fly home. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

40 minutes ago, Decotraveller said:

You should double check the ports of call about Certificate of Recovery.  While Celebrity may be OK, not all countries are and as Celebrity says on their website YOU are responsible for meeting country specific requirements.

• Like 2

We are booked on the same cruise out of Boston. I've been comparing the case levels to the previous Omicron surge. The USA recently passed 100,000 positive cases in one day (NYT). On the previous Omicron surge, the USA passed 100,000 positive cases around December 2. Three months later on March 3, the peak (Jan 14) had passed and cases were dropping (around 50,000 per day). With a 31 August sail date, we are more than 3 months away. Who knows what will happen, but if the surge in cases is similar to previous surges, then 3 months should be past the peak and heading towards a 'valley' in cases. I'd be more worried if the cruise was next week or next month. 3 months, I'm hoping cases to have gone down by then. But Variants will vary; that's sort of their thing.
There is no way to really predict, but our last cruise we lucked into going mid-March and that was a low transmission time. The months leading to it were quite scary however.

I will also be making final payment in the next few days if my TA ever calls me back.

2 hours ago, Decotraveller said:

If you can, get a Certificate of Recovery for each of you.  Then you have fail safe access to get on the cruise ship, bypass contact tracing and fly back to the US.  I would almost get Covid on purpose just to get the COR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

DO NOT TRAVEL. 
My husband had PC surgery at the end of August. 
We had this cruise as our line of hope to get us through the difficulties. 
I know well what you are going through. 
This has been a true nightmare because unlike other countries, Italy has different policies. I have to test negative or else wait until May 30. We have been in confinement since April 30; 

Oh no, we aren’t going anywhere since he’s dealing with bladder issues. We visited his surgeon for a 6-week post surgery check-up last week and the doc says in 2 months or so it should resolve itself. PSA was at 0.51. Thrilled about that. Well before this happened, we had booked two cruises for this year, both on Apex. While we’re missing the 5/26 sailing, we have one to look forward to in September. By then, we will really need it!

I hope your husband is doing well and you can have a healthy and enjoyable cruise…because after everything you have both been thru, it is well deserved! 

If you do decide to go, I would reiterate to  be very careful the excursions you are planning to take on your cruise right now. 

We are on a 12 day cruise in Aug, and so many on our roll call have booked bus tours in each port. In my opinion, this could be risky right now, even with a mask on, because of contact tracing- one person on that bus becomes ill, or tests positive, it could effect everyone on that tour ( even if it is just having wait on test results) I understand that in normal circumstances these are great tours to take if mobility is an issue or you just want to see the sights. But I would be cautious right now. I hope things look a little different in Aug than they do now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, son3cruisers said:

If you do decide to go, I would reiterate to  be very careful the excursions you are planning to take on your cruise right now. 

We are on a 12 day cruise in Aug, and so many on our roll call have booked bus tours in each port. In my opinion, this could be risky right now, even with a mask on, because of contact tracing- one person on that bus becomes ill, or tests positive, it could effect everyone on that tour ( even if it is just having wait on test results) I understand that in normal circumstances these are great tours to take if mobility is an issue or you just want to see the sights. But I would be cautious right now. I hope things look a little different in Aug than they do now. 

Wise advice.

if there ever was a time to pop for a private independent tour or just go off on your own, this is the time.  Now way do I want to risk a ship sponsored tour bus . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Hello neighbor. I'm also currently on deck 6 in quarantine and tested positive again on day 5. My DH chose to quarantine with me and has tested negative. I get out on Sunday and we plan to he very careful as DH will have to test Neg to fly home. 

Hi neighbor!  Fingers crossed for your husband.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Orsino said:

We are booked on the same cruise out of Boston. I've been comparing the case levels to the previous Omicron surge. The USA recently passed 100,000 positive cases in one day (NYT). On the previous Omicron surge, the USA passed 100,000 positive cases around December 2. Three months later on March 3, the peak (Jan 14) had passed and cases were dropping (around 50,000 per day). With a 31 August sail date, we are more than 3 months away. Who knows what will happen, but if the surge in cases is similar to previous surges, then 3 months should be past the peak and heading towards a 'valley' in cases. I'd be more worried if the cruise was next week or next month. 3 months, I'm hoping cases to have gone down by then. But Variants will vary; that's sort of their thing.
There is no way to really predict, but our last cruise we lucked into going mid-March and that was a low transmission time. The months leading to it were quite scary however.

I will also be making final payment in the next few days if my TA ever calls me back.

The peak for Omicron in the UK was 1 in 12 people in March. We are now at 1 in 44 and still on downward trajectory.  Many cases mild or no symptoms.

All legal restrictions were lifted end of February 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Orsino said:

Orsino it is possible that you are right (or not?) and it seems that these surges are delayed from the UK surges by maybe 4-6 weeks so that is a good thing to look at too.  One thing is that the USA is huge so the surges are much more local/regional (endemic) in the US.  The current surge is in the Northeast so Boston where you plan to sail from might be out of it in a month or two.  The other thing to consider is that Omicron is in general very mild (in comparison) and immunity has really built over the population.  So many people test at home and do not report positives these days.  That works on land.  On ships, a positive is an invitation to automatic isolation.  Even if not sick.  If they would just let you isolate in your own cabin that would be a huge relief to many.

• Like 1

Just joined the Covid positive list today, 5 days after leaving Equinox 9 day ABC. Tested twice negative this week, but scratchy throat this morning had me test again..., and this time positive. Dual vaxed, boosted, and had original Covid 19 before vaccinations. 

Considering Equinox had over 200 cases on last day, would not be surprised if twice that may, or more now are positive. No regreats about the trip, but no more cruises on schedule until quarantine protocols and reported Celebrity Covid case rate transparency undergoes major changes. 

All the best my friends.........See you on the next tack !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are on Reflection on the 24th June. This was our experience in March with another line

If you go on a cruise ship the likelihood is that you will catch Covid. The test at embarkation is just a snapshot in time. The question is - will you have very mild symptoms, unnoticeable those around you  and carry on as usual . or something more serious which takes you to isolation. If you buy into all this   waffle about "Healthy at Sea " then you will be disappointed

In March we went on a cruise with Seabourn. Despite all the warm words, and waffle about health at sea there was the option  help yourself from the breakfast and lunch buffet, close gatherings in the theatre and deck. There was a strict mask and sanitising regime which everyone brought into, but by  the end of the cruise I suspect that around 30% were positive, most just keeping their heads down, a few on the isolation deck. I guess Seabourn just turned a blind eye to most of it , to save the cost of disembarking people.

We did not feel we had Covid,  but still tested positive when we got home. Luckily we did not need to test to return to the UK.

There is no way we would Cruise if we had to test negative before returning home, the disease is far too contagious. You can sanitize your hands till the skin falls of, but its not going to help you.

• Like 5

Tested positive day before yesterday 2 days after returning from Beyond with medium symptoms. Practically no passengers wore masks.  And despite only 1100 pax on ship, no social distancing on ship and even worse on tours.

Glad didn t have it on ship and can quarantaine and be sick at home !

Edited by Michidoeme
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

In my opinion, this could be risky right now, even with a mask on, because of contact tracing- one person on that bus becomes ill, or tests positive, it could effect everyone on that tour ( even if it is just having wait on test results)

Recent reports shows that this is not happening anymore. A few threads have COVID positive people saying they were only asked who was in their travel group and not gathering a history of where they've been on board. Still a good word of caution. We have definitely changed how we're booking excursions and only go with Celebrity if the time in port is tight/or if a large distance is traveled. 

Deaths in Southampton

Between 14 May 2022 and 20 May 2022, there have been 1 deaths within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test. This shows a decrease of -75.0% compared to the previous 7 days. From HM gov.

Reassuringly the dozen or so ships porting from my home city seems to have had no effect on the University Hospital.  I work in the local health community and there have been no concerns about sick cruisers.  Average deaths are down. 

I agree we need to be pragmatic as likely as many people die with influenza or complications of getting a cold, as dying from current variants. The CDC may need to more realistic as is causing so much unnecessary angst for US travellers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2