How to get internet connection for onboard Covid testing before disembarkation in Vancouver

rose91

How do you connect to the app onboard to take the monitored Covid test the day before flying home to the USA. Does it go through the Free Medallion app or do you  use a free WiFi connection somewhere on the ship?  We will not be purchasing an internet package.  Our group is very confused how to do it and Princess doesn't give me a specific "how to" answer.

I wasn't happy that Princess stopped free onboard testing for guests AFTER we booked.  I certainly don't want to have to pay for internet to take the test.

Was anyone successful in asking for a credit for having to buy the tests?

Cathy

I’d be curious if this option is working for anyone. We were on the Royal a few weeks ago - last trip where Princess provided free tests the day before disembarkation. I was grateful because honestly the Wi-Fi was so terrible I can’t fathom how someone could make the test work. I couldn’t even check in for our flight let alone get enough connectivity to do a proctored test. And we had the package. Unfortunately the internet access was just awful. 

13 minutes ago, rose91 said:

How do you connect to the app onboard to take the monitored Covid test the day before flying home to the USA. Does it go through the Free Medallion app or do you  use a free WiFi connection somewhere on the ship?  We will not be purchasing an internet package.  Our group is very confused how to do it and Princess doesn't give me a specific "how to" answer.

I wasn't happy that Princess stopped free onboard testing for guests AFTER we booked.  I certainly don't want to have to pay for internet to take the test.

Cathy

I would check on the roll calls for cruises right now that are ending in Vancouver in the ship you are sailing and ask what the procedure is ob.

The PCL website suggests you book an appointment for the airport testing.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. If departing Canada by air, guests are highly encouraged to pre-reserve COVID-19 testing appointments at the Vancouver or Quebec airport in advance. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

Or, if you order ahead of time, the proctored tests through Emed or Optum, you bring those with you and test ob the day before. They are not cheap. You will need the internet. 

I would ask if they are offering free internet in the Internet cafe to take these proctored tests or do you have to buy the internet for 1 day? 

Those currently sailing should be able to help.

I would also ask what the tests cost, or look it up for the Vancouver airport.

13 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I’d be curious if this option is working for anyone. We were on the Royal a few weeks ago - last trip where Princess provided free tests the day before disembarkation. I was grateful because honestly the Wi-Fi was so terrible I can’t fathom how someone could make the test work. I couldn’t even check in for our flight let alone get enough connectivity to do a proctored test. And we had the package. Unfortunately the internet access was just awful. 

Probably be better off just booking a test at the YVR airport,.

1 hour ago, rose91 said:

Cathy

No free Internet on board any of the Princess ships that I know of. And I’ve read lots of people that have the Internet included in their cruise package &  they were barely able to send emails ,so I definitely wouldn’t rely on the Internet even if you paid for it on the ship.It would probably be a waste of your time. But all in my opinion and plenty of Internet topics out there on cruise critic specifically on Covid tests to get back into USA from Canada.

Don’t know your itinerary or your ship but quite a few people are taking a princess transfer( bus/ drive) from Vancouver to Seattle and flying out of Seattle and no Covid test required. Or you can rent a car one way from Vancouver to Seattle and no test required. 

But if you need to do a Covid test and you’re in Vancouver search around and make an appointment. Or if you’re computer savvy if your day before disembarkation is Victoria do a proctored test somewhere in Victoria with Internet connection on shore  or an appointment in Victoria if feasible.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. If departing Canada by air, guests are highly encouraged to pre-reserve COVID-19 testing appointments at the Vancouver or Quebec airport in advance. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

*As long as guests have the right to enter the U.S. (citizenship or visa), they do not need a test to enter at a land border.

^You are now leaving princess.com and navigating to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

I was on the Majestic with a Saturday June 4, 2022 Disembarkment Date. Got the Binaxnow/Emed covid test in advance. Needed it for Embarkation, and had extra in the 6-pack, so that covered the surpirse Disembarkment test.

Friday was a sea day, so could not test in port prior to the Saturday Disembarkation/flight back to USA.

All week, the internet on the Majestic was barely usable at best when everyone is asleep. I tend to be an early riser. at 5am, Speed test showed a 1mbps upload and 2mbps download speed. I was barely able to test at 5am. The emed person says the video was fuzzy, but was eventually able to make out the expiration date, and the QR code on the test book. When my travel companions tried at 7am, they couldn't connect. One person said they tried all day Friday, and was finally able to get it done. I wouldn't waste a day trying.

Backup plans:

1) One travel companion was able to do it at 3am Saturday morning.

2) I have roaming in Canada, so could use cellular internet once the ship was docked.

3) I think the port has free wifi, so could have used that immediately after disembarking.

4) Airport has free wifi, and could have done it there (had enough time before the flight).

• Thanks 1

Make friends with someone who has the internet package.  Buy them a drink and hope that the signal is strong enough to take the proctored test.  This is really a problem that Princess created (announcement that they will offer a free test/retracted) AND not having wi-fi adequate for passengers to take the test.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, richmke said:

I was on the Majestic with a Saturday June 4, 2022 Disembarkment Date. Got the Binaxnow/Emed covid test in advance. Needed it for Embarkation, and had extra in the 6-pack, so that covered the surpirse Disembarkment test.

Friday was a sea day, so could not test in port prior to the Saturday Disembarkation/flight back to USA.

All week, the internet on the Majestic was barely usable at best when everyone is asleep. I tend to be an early riser. at 5am, Speed test showed a 1mbps upload and 2mbps download speed. I was barely able to test at 5am. The emed person says the video was fuzzy, but was eventually able to make out the expiration date, and the QR code on the test book. When my travel companions tried at 7am, they couldn't connect. One person said they tried all day Friday, and was finally able to get it done. I wouldn't waste a day trying.

Backup plans:

1) One travel companion was able to do it at 3am Saturday morning.

2) I have roaming in Canada, so could use cellular internet once the ship was docked.

3) I think the port has free wifi, so could have used that immediately after disembarking.

4) Airport has free wifi, and could have done it there (had enough time before the flight).

We had a similar experience on 5/20 on Majestic. When we would get connected the screen would be fuzzy and they couldnt read the QR code or the expiration date or the drivers license. 

They kept saying try again with a different device.  Ummm no, the device is fine, its the Wifi thats bad. Took about 4 hours but we were all 4 finally successful. Not a good last day though. 

From experience, do not plan on using ships Wi-Fi for any testing the day before disembarkation.  Even when internet as high speed as soon as checkin for flights opened the internet ground to a halt.

Until testing requirements ease, I am treating departure day the same as I do arrival day which is to say that I build in an extra day. I don’t fly in on the day the cruise starts and I don’t fly home on the day the cruise ends. That way I have a hotel with internet to do a proctored test and a bed to sleep in and figure things out in the event I don’t get clearance to travel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1. It is very sad how Princess has broken their promise to do testing the day before leaving the ship for passengers who need to rest before flying home

2. The Emerald's Internet Officer suggested coming to the Internet Cafe with your cell phone at an off hour to do the process test

3. It is crazy that Princess does the promised testing for other cruises like the British Isles, Mediterranean, etc. Why is The Vancouver departing Alaska cruise so different?

One problem with the poor Internet is that if you start taking the test and the Internet fails, then the test is invalid even if connection to the test company is quickly restored since there was not 100% visual on the test.

One problem with testing at the airport (or elsewhere before getting to the airport) is that the flight reservations were made at times that met Princess guidelines which did not allow extra time required for testing after disembarkation and before the three hours required before flight time for International check-in at the airport. And with possibly multiple ships having passengers heading to the airport, there may not be enough testing slots available there.

i would not leave the ship to take the test as if someone is positive and needs to quarantine the issue if princess keeps its word on covering costs vs taking legal action, they already broke their word on administering the tests, once my July Alaska and December hawaii cruise are completed i will Not sail with them again

9 hours ago, rose91 said:

Cathy

I love CC!  All great ideas for you.  Let us know how it works out for you. 

Here’s a link for the YVR testing.

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing

Wifi at sea can be spotty.  For video test; you need even faster speeds which may not be available on the ship.  I know Royal Caribbean has two packages Voom internet and Voom surf and watch which gives you a faster connection for watching videos and doing face time calls; such as what is need for a test protor to use

I would take a home test with me and test on the ship the day before disembarkation.  I know this won’t meet the actual requirements to fly but at least you will not be stuck somewhere in Vancouver and try to find help at that point if you do test positive.  This latest strain is so transmissible and you will want to inform the ship’s medical staff if you are infected before you disembark.  
All other posts have suggested what you need to do for the official test so won’t go into that.  

Personally, I thought it was actually comical that the Internet Officer suggested coming to the IC to do the test on one's IPhone. Can you imagine the demand on the WiFi? I asked if the computer in the IC had cameras and he answered no. I did not ask about using a printer there.

@Cruise Raider's idea of bringing a home kit with you and knowing your results first is right on.

@simong is absolutely correct to not leave the ship if you know or think you may be positive. Once off of the ship, your chances of Princess following through on their agreements will be tough. Another reason to bring a home kit with you.

• Like 1

Realistically, I wouldn't rely on any proctored type test done on any ship's wifi/internet.  It requires a faily decent connection and good broadband.  Think about it this way, if you can't get a decent video call going, a proctored video call isn't going to work.  It needs to broadcast both voice and video, which takes bandwidth.

I just did the emed test as I was flying home day after disembarkation from Southampton. As soon as we docked, I turned off airplane mode and used my phones data. No way would I rely on ship Wi-Fi. l would make sure to the International plan added to your cell for many reasons.