On Britannia now - reality check

Orianababes

Many years since we went to Toulon but I do remember it being a big naval base and from the ferry across from the ship to the town  we saw an impressive number of naval vessels including Clemenceau. 

18 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

That's brilliant - no problem reading it.

Is there a "What's On" summary per day?  On NCL (my most recent cruiseline) one of the pages lists everything that's on that day, irrespective of whether it's a show, a talk or an activity.  If there is, then that's the page I'd be most interested in, if you'd be so kind. 🙂

There is a daily listing of all events in the middle two pages in the Horizon.

Last time in Toulon (October 2021), we went to the tourist office and bought a bus ticket, and a ticket to ride the "funicular railway".  Not sure what I was expecting, but it was a pleasant bus ride through the town up the station - where a cable car awaited us.  White knuckle ride to the top where the views were simply breath-taking,  and Britannia looked like a very small toy.  There's a restaurant up there too, but it didn't open till lunchtime.  From memory it was a very inexpensive trip and very enjoyable, but I couldn't comment on its wheelchair acessability.

toulon view.JPG

• Like 1

Why is this happening? These have been booked for two years .Is it because the births are over booked .P and O should come clean and at least tell you why and not just say for operational issues.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Why is this happening? These have been booked for two years .Is it because the births are over booked .P and O should come clean and at least tell you why and not just say for operational issues.

I am most disappointed as Marseilles was the only port on the cruise we haven't visited. I was hoping Cadiz would be replaced by Cartegena.

Someone up thread said the reason was because there weren't enough buses to ferry everyone out of the port.

Sounds like a "fudge" to me. There is public transport, I think a HOHO bus and excursions. What is going on? Toulon was a bit grim last time I visited but think I went to Aix en Provence from there which was lovely and about an hour away.

It doesn't look like there's any P&O ships booked into the port before the 3rd July which is as far as I can see. Maybe a regular user of vessel finder can check for more information. There's a big gap between 18 June and 3rd July which has no listings.

5 hours ago, loveheart said:

I am most disappointed as Marseilles was the only port on the cruise we haven't visited. I was hoping Cadiz would be replaced by Cartegena.

Someone up thread said the reason was because there weren't enough buses to ferry everyone out of the port.

They said that when there were 6 ships in port on the current cruise, but only 3 planned for ours, so that story won't wash now.

• Like 1

Maybe a bit symplistic, BUT whatever the reason for Marseilles being replaced with Toulon, it sure beats sitting on a plane at Gatwick Airport and being told to get off as your flight AND holiday have been cancelled!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

One of the problems with Marseilles is that it is a 40+ minute drive from the port to the town on the shuttle bus and last week when we were supposed to dock there not only were there several oth ships but also some other local event which entailed closing the roads.

I think that large parts of the travel industry both in the UK and Europe have not got their act together after Covid and some countries, such as the UK, are way ahead of others and it is a question of catch up

• Like 3

On 6/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, wowzz said:

Actually, I don't think you gave an actual reservation as such, because no one checks when you enter the theatre,  according to other posters. 

Hi.  Each time we entered we had our bookings checked. You give your cabin number and they check on iPad. Some people do walk past the person doing the checking. 

On 6/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, Ranchi said:

Many years since we went to Toulon but I do remember it being a big naval base and from the ferry across from the ship to the town  we saw an impressive number of naval vessels including Clemenceau. 

We have been to Toulon a few times now. Our goto trip is the mini-train to the beaches, followed by afternoon tea looking out over the harbour.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We have been to Toulon a few times now. Our goto trip is the mini-train to the beaches, followed by afternoon tea looking out over the harbour.

Sounds interesting. Where do you get this train? Cruise port or town?

Just now, Fionboard said:

Sounds interesting. Where do you get this train? Cruise port or town?

In the town. We have docked in the town a couple of times with NCL on smaller ships. Otherwise the ferry to the town and onto the mini-train. I love a minitrain ride. Get off at the beaches, swim, lunch, minitrain back. We arrived on market day once. Unless you are into fruit and Veg, an experience well worth missing.🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In the town. We have docked in the town a couple of times with NCL on smaller ships. Otherwise the ferry to the town and onto the mini-train. I love a minitrain ride. Get off at the beaches, swim, lunch, minitrain back. We arrived on market day once. Unless you are into fruit and Veg, an experience well worth missing.🤣

Thanks. Very useful.

Well, sadly the cruise is over and have travelled home safely.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The little things missing hardly seemed worth mentioning. Entertainment team excellent, across the board. Food excellent on slightly reduced choices.

I think that, if you travel with a positive frame of mind, you will enjoy yourself. If you are looking for little niggles you will probably be successful, as the industry has been hammered.

Staff quality as good as ever regarding politeness and helpfulness. Some are still learning, remember we all had to learn!
Cannot wait until next cruise in August

• Like 10

Onboard and all cases safely delivered and unpacked, loyalty embarkation  lunch was fine, and we also have an invite to the usual Baltic and Ligurian lunch, so things slowly returning to normal.

So far no real problems with the current new paperwork needed, however we did have a minor issue with the passport numbers not matching, but we were quickly moved from the wheelchair check in to another priority one, and lo and behold that terminal was displaying the correct numbers.

P&O really do need to sort out their IT issues. 

Very few masks worn on embarkation and no requests were made to don one, although staff are still wearing masks.

Evening turn down still not yet reinstated, but I guess we will cope.

We might try to use the My Holiday app to book an MDR table tonight, or then again might just turn up as before and see how well that works.

Its 4:30pm and still docked so will have to see whether they are back to a late afternoon sail awa, or not.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Onboard and all cases safely delivered and unpacked, loyalty embarkation  lunch was fine, and we also have an invite to the usual Baltic and Ligurian lunch, so things slowly returning to normal.

So far no real problems with the current new paperwork needed, however we did have a minor issue with the passport numbers not matching, but we were quickly moved from the wheelchair check in to another priority one, and lo and behold that terminal was displaying the correct numbers.

Very few masks worn on embarkation and no requests were made to don one, although staff are still wearing masks.

We might try to use the My Holiday app to book an MDR table tonight, or then again might just turn up as before and see how well that works.

Its 4:30pm and still docked so will have to see whether they are back to a late afternoon sail awa, or not.

According to Southampton VTS you are scheduled to depart at 6pm John.

31 minutes ago, Orianababes said:

Well, sadly the cruise is over and have travelled home safely.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The little things missing hardly seemed worth mentioning. Entertainment team excellent, across the board. Food excellent on slightly reduced choices.

I think that, if you travel with a positive frame of mind, you will enjoy yourself. If you are looking for little niggles you will probably be successful, as the industry has been hammered.

Staff quality as good as ever regarding politeness and helpfulness. Some are still learning, remember we all had to learn!
Cannot wait until next cruise in August

Glad to hear that you had a good cruise and thanks for providing the feedback which was reassuring. Having been on all the P&O ships bar Iona, Britannia is probably the ship that we like the most (although our best cruises have been on Aurora, if that makes sense). Epicurean is our favourite restaurant at sea and the only thing that we miss on Britannia is a promenade deck. At least Iona has addressed that, with the added benefit of being able to nose inside dozens of cabins whilst you walk around it 😂 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Wishing you both a very enjoyable cruise. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Have a lovely time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I hope you both  have an amazing cruise John.