Daily testing is over

Poulsbo Cruisers

Thanks to poulsbo-cruisers for the heads up.

We have been able to cancel our already booked PCR tests with a full refund in 14 days. 24 hour notification was needed so 14th June would have been too late for our cruise.  

Having booked for 2020, then 2021 now 2022 looks as if it is happening at last.  

Don’t forget that the announcement came on Friday afternoon.  I think that it is reasonable to expect to have a new Health and Safety Plan developed with due diligence and proper vetting which likely includes the Board of Directors.  Releasing the plan on Tuesday does not seem unreasonable.

It does appear that individual ships have ceased testing which is probably the Captain’s decision, but corporate wide policy is a big deal.

• Like 1

Very interesting that Viking Ocean went from one of the most conservative in regard to testing (with daily onboard PCR testing), to not even requiring a test to board the ship (except in in the US/Canada, assuming due to the CDC.)  Are they the first cruise line to not require a test before boarding the ship?

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

Very interesting that Viking Ocean went from one of the most conservative in regard to testing (with daily onboard PCR testing), to not even requiring a test to board the ship (except in in the US/Canada, assuming due to the CDC.)  Are they the first cruise line to not require a test before boarding the ship?

We are booked on an Avalon cruise from Amsterdam next month. They require proof of vaccination, but not a negative test. 

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

No, some European river cruises have never required a test if the country visited didn't. Likewise some ocean cruises

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

We are booked on an Avalon cruise from Amsterdam next month. They require proof of vaccination, but not a negative test. 

20 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

No, some European river cruises have never required a test if the country visited didn't. Likewise some ocean cruises

Ah makes sense—and since Viking also is in the river cruise market, in some ways then they are just matching what some of their peers have been doing all along.

• Like 1

Hip hip hooray! The pre-cruise testing was the most stressful part of the whole process this previous summer for my Bermuda cruises. My next sailing is December aboard Viking Neptune. What a relief! Will be arriving in Barcelona a few days before we board & I'm guessing Spain may have their own testing requirements for enrty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Hip hip hooray! The pre-cruise testing was the most stressful part of the whole process this previous summer for my Bermuda cruises. My next sailing is December aboard Viking Neptune. What a relief! Will be arriving in Barcelona a few days before we board & I'm guessing Spain may have their own testing requirements for enrty.

Last November Spain required proof of vaccination OR negative Covid test.  It was only Viking that required both.

• Like 1

I had real confidence in Viking. Daily testing was a great safety measure.it gave you reassurance that you had little chance of interacting with infected people.  Taking away all testing increases the risks of spreading Covid.  Going from all testing to no testing is a bold move.  Will wait and see how things play out.  Either Viking is very smart or really stupid. Time will tell.  For now, I will not book Viking.  I will reassess options when I feel comfortable that things have improved.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

I had real confidence in Viking. Daily testing was a great safety measure.it gave you reassurance that you had little chance of interacting with infected people.  Taking away all testing increases the risks of spreading Covid.  Going from all testing to no testing is a bold move.  Will wait and see how things play out.  Either Viking is very smart or really stupid. Time will tell.  For now, I will not book Viking.  I will reassess options when I feel comfortable that things have improved.  

The danger, if you want to call it that, was always the crowds on extensions and excursions - over which Viking had no control. So, you had all kinds of chances to interact with infected people.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The danger, if you want to call it that, was always the crowds on extensions and excursions - over which Viking had no control. So, you had all kinds of chances to interact with infected people.

The bigger danger was when masks became optional on TA flights in the beginning of April. When the captain announced that, it was like he encouraged people not to mask. If you follow Covid related threads here on CC you’ll see the increase in quarantined cruisers in April and May.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 12:16 AM, rbslos18 said:

We were getting ready to cancel our next Viking cruise

Same situation, only ours isn't till January. Had the current spit-in-a-tube protocol continued, we wouldn ot be going. So now may rethink. 

On 6/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Jim Avery said:

Ding Dong the Witch is dead??

One can hope so.....

On 6/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Twitchly said:

There it is!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!! 

Whoop Whoop!!!!! YEA!!!! Works for me!  

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Either Viking is very smart or really stupid. Time will tell.  For now, I will not book Viking.  I will reassess options when I feel comfortable that things have improved.  

Have to wonder if part of the decision is based on a possible reduction in the number of people sailing?  Probably not..but a possibility. I relate to this change in just the opposite way - was not going to book anything further with Viking as long as the daily PCR remained in effect, and was planning to cancel my January cruise. Now...not sure. MIght still keep it. 

• Like 6

Delighted about the news of no testing, BUT we have decided to wear a mask while on the ship and on buses. We are of “an advanced age” and for us, just think it is prudent. We will evaluate as the 28 day cruise continues. Everyone should  make his/her own decision and RESPECT the decisions made by fellow passengers.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And don't you miss those sweet people that loudly told you if you didn't like Viking's testing then just don't sail?  Somehow, every dog seems to get his day....🍸

Easy there Jim! Let’s not get too cocky. We’re all hoping there’s no need to back track on the new no testing policy… 🤞🏼

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Easy there Jim! Let’s not get too cocky. We’re all hoping there’s no need to back track on the new no testing policy… 🤞🏼

Right.  That's why I am not being rude to those who wish testing would remain.  Just stating that it's nice to not be told "my way or the highway" by others.  Who knows?  The CDC might deem Monkeypox worth shutdowns.🍹

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And don't you miss those sweet people that loudly told you if you didn't like Viking's testing then just don't sail?

No....also don't miss those who, early in the pandemic, suggested that all us older folks just stay home if we're worried about the virus. 

20 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

The CDC might deem Monkeypox worth shutdowns.🍹

Oh Lordy....let's not even go there. 

47 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

every dog seems to get his day

Yep! To each his own on this thing - right along with a myriad of other present-day concerns

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I'll second that Liz! Those 'sweet' people were just rather bored of the constant and repetitive caterwauling and C denying. Hopefully we can all now enjoy a happier conversation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Right.  That's why I am not being rude to those who wish testing would remain.  Just stating that it's nice to not be told "my way or the highway" by others.  Who knows?  The CDC might deem Monkeypox worth shutdowns.🍹

I for one would hate to see Viking remove fresh bananas from the breakfast menu, but in the interest of guest safety...

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, philw1776 said:

I for one would hate to see Viking remove fresh bananas from the breakfast menu, but in the interest of guest safety...

I have to avoid bananas due to potassium levels.  Viking should remove them for my safety!

of course I am joking, I really miss bananas

• Haha 3