Jump to content

Best place for Fish & Chips


wblotner66
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

I like to go to the "Hanger on the Wharf" in Juneau. The beer is cold and the food is great.  https://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ It's also fun to watch the sea planes take off and land just outside.

It looks like a nice place, but $28.99 for fish and chips is a little too much for me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are places I thought the Fish & Chips really good, my favorite are the Halibut or the Salmon.

Sitka    Halibut Point Crab & Chowder

Juneau. Twisted Fish Company. Not sure they are open, but I’ve emailed them.

Ketchikan Annabelle’s & Alava’s Fish Chowder

Skagway Woodies Southeast Seafood

Victoria any of the Fish and Chips at Fisherman’s Wharf

I hope this helps .
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lived in Juneau nearly 40 years. Take a cab to the Sand Bar in the Valley. Cabbie will know, about 7 miles from dock. Back of Sand Bar has door going into what passes for a dining area. Large basket halibut and fries about $28. Decor is horrible, not your wine and oohh ahhh type of place, but they use FRESH halibut (most tourist joints use frozen, and trust me, you can taste the difference) and CLEAN oil. You're going to eat with the blue collar locals. Large basket is just that, large, twice the serving you'll get anywhere downtown. Halibut is about $24 a pound now and rising with diesel costs. Of course you can always have frozen cod and chips.

 

Bob.. aka seafood snot.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

Back of Sand Bar has door going into what passes for a dining area. Large basket halibut and fries about $28. Decor is horrible, not your wine and oohh ahhh type of place, but they use FRESH halibut (most tourist joints use frozen, and trust me, you can taste the difference) and CLEAN oil. You're going to eat with the blue collar locals.

 

Welcome new member Vagabond51 to our community!

 

This is a suggestion that has never been made before on CC.  Thanks for posting this.  

 

22 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

It looks like a nice place, but $28.99 for fish and chips is a little too much for me. 

 

I recommend Alaska Fish & Chips Company for the best Halibut and Chips that I have eaten.  They are in the same building as Hanger on the Wharf with the same great view, plus, they have an outside seating area overlooking the harbor and float plane activity.  I just looked at their menu and their Halibut and Chips is $2 less than Hanger's.

 

I was shopping at my grocery this afternoon.  The cost of fresh seafood is shockingly high.  OP, respectfully, I think you need to adjust your thinking about the prices you are going to find in Alaska.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I was shopping at my grocery this afternoon.  The cost of fresh seafood is shockingly high.  OP, respectfully, I think you need to adjust your thinking about the prices you are going to find in Alaska.  

I certainly know about sticker shock at the supermarket, and I certainly know that people have found prices high in Alaska in the past. Living in California, we didn't ever notice that much. I have no quarrel with this place charging that much for fish and chips, and I certainly have no quarrel with anybody who's happy to pay. I just won't. 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I certainly know about sticker shock at the supermarket, and I certainly know that people have found prices high in Alaska in the past. Living in California, we didn't ever notice that much. I have no quarrel with this place charging that much for fish and chips, and I certainly have no quarrel with anybody who's happy to pay. I just won't. 😃

So sorry you are going to miss out on some  excellent fresh fish.  We just returned from Florida and average price for a fish dinner was $40 so $28 sounds pretty good. I live in CA and just returned from grocery store, meat, chicken and fish prices unbelievable but it is what it is right now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Welcome new member Vagabond51 to our community!

 

This is a suggestion that has never been made before on CC.  Thanks for posting this.  

 

We learned about the Sandbar on CC before our 2019 cruise. We parked around back where there is an entrance to the dining area. There was a group of locals having lunch and talking local town issues. There was a commercial fisherman who got a phone call and left saying that this was his last warm meal for a month on his way to the boat. It really was a taste of local Juneau and the fish and chips were great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We liked Alaska Fish n Chips in Juneau.  We also liked Alava's in Ketchikan.  Halibut costs much more than Cod.  I saw Halibut from Alaska at the store here, and it was $29 per pound for fillets.  Back in 2018 I think we paid about $ 26 for Halibut Fish n Chips at above places.  

 

If we are close, we will check out Sandbar.  Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We liked Alaska Fish n Chips in Juneau.  We also liked Alava's in Ketchikan.  Halibut costs much more than Cod.  I saw Halibut from Alaska at the store here, and it was $29 per pound for fillets.  Back in 2018 I think we paid about $ 26 for Halibut Fish n Chips at above places.  

 

If we are close, we will check out Sandbar.  Thanks for the tip.

 

46 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We liked Alaska Fish n Chips in Juneau.  We also liked Alava's in Ketchikan.  Halibut costs much more than Cod.  I saw Halibut from Alaska at the store here, and it was $29 per pound for fillets.  Back in 2018 I think we paid about $ 26 for Halibut Fish n Chips at above places.  

 

If we are close, we will check out Sandbar.  Thanks for the tip.

I looked at reviews and photos for Sand Bar, so so reviews and the fish looks very greasy. It should not look like that if cooked properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2022 at 3:41 AM, Vagabond51 said:

Lived in Juneau nearly 40 years. Take a cab to the Sand Bar in the Valley. Cabbie will know, about 7 miles from dock. Back of Sand Bar has door going into what passes for a dining area. Large basket halibut and fries about $28. Decor is horrible, not your wine and oohh ahhh type of place, but they use FRESH halibut (most tourist joints use frozen, and trust me, you can taste the difference) and CLEAN oil. You're going to eat with the blue collar locals. Large basket is just that, large, twice the serving you'll get anywhere downtown. Halibut is about $24 a pound now and rising with diesel costs. Of course you can always have frozen cod and chips.

 

Bob.. aka seafood snot.

We went to the Sand Bar years ago.  Delicious!!  We had a rental car and found the Sand Bar on Yelp.  When we got to the building, we couldn't even find the entrance, as you said it's in the back and very non descript.  Our picnic style table was next to a beverage refrigerator and some cardboard boxes.  LOL  Definitely nothing fancy, but the fish and chips was amazing!  We had the halibut which is what was recommended on Yelp, and it did not disappoint.  Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

 

I love finding the out of the way places that the locals frequent.  Much better food and typically the prices are a bit better, but fish is pricey.  Alaska is pricey, so I don't expect it to be cheap by any means. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Another vote for the Sand Bar in Juneau. A local told me about it here before our 2018 cruise. We rented a car in Juneau to tour on our own. It’s very local dive bar hang out atmosphere and the food was excellent! Depending on your appetite, the portions are shareworthy. We were there at an off time and there were just a couple others there. Agree that the reviews are a mixed bag but we loved it.

 

Our group also loved the fish and chips at the Fish House in Ketichan. They offered salmon fish and chips and they were loved by my family. I had the fish chowder and it ranks among the best soup/chowder/chili I’ve ever had. Absolutely wonderful.

Edited by Anita Latte
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sea Hag said:

It looks like a nice place, but $28.99 for fish and chips is a little too much for me. 

Every single place there is after the tourists money. Juneau pier facility is couple blocks long and you have 3-4 ships there at once. 8000-10000 pax ready to part with their $$$. You do not even need to try

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Locally, an upscale grocery has Copper River Sockeye Salmon for sale at $24.99/lb.  I am surprised that it isn't more expensive than that.  

it is pretty expensive, it is salmon, not bluefin tuna. I think $15 a pound is ok price. $20 a pound for a king

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Copper River" sockeye has to be one of the neatest marketing snow jobs in seafood history. There is no, nada, none, zero difference between any salmon caught in any magical river. My son owns and operates a 50ft gillnetter making his living harvesting sockeye salmon in SEAK for over a decade now. He's fishing as I type this. Pretty much any commercial fishing boat is going to have a galley with a diesel stove in it. No hot meal for a month probably a comment for the tourists. Don't mean to sound snarkey here, just sometimes the BS piles in over the knees. CC a wonderful helpful resource. Just trying to give back a bit. Cheers.

Edited by Vagabond51
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

"Copper River" sockeye has to be one of the neatest marketing snow jobs in seafood history. There is no, nada, none, zero difference between any salmon caught in any magical river.

Agree that the marketing is over-hyped and we’d never pay those prices. Felt fortunate living in Alaska that our friends would give us Copper River Sockeyes each season. There are many posts that indicate these salmon have the highest amount of omega-3 fatty acids giving them their “rich, moist and delicious flavor”. I suppose this is subjective but we did notice the difference.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Again, not to come across as snarkey or trolling, but this discussion has been going on in the industry for a few decades now. There have been numerous double blind taste test involving dozens of folks, easily found with simple searches. No one, not one person, could distinguish a fish caught in a magical river from one caught elsewhere. Similar tests have been done with wine. About 3% of people could distigiush a $500 bottle of wine over a $30 bottle. Yeah... subjective works I guess. I'm sticking with my belief system. Cheers.

Edited by Vagabond51
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...