Don't take on a cruise....

Canuker

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I disagree about the food suggestion. We also take pre-packaged snacks on the cruise for evening snacking after the buffet is closed and taking off in ports. Virtually nothing on the ship is pre-packaged in a way that they can be taken as a snack into port. I'm happy to each lunch in port, but when on a shore excursion you are on their timeline and that doesn't always match up with your appetite. 

Don't ever take food of a cruise ship in Australia/NZ - its in breach of our biosecurity and you will be hit with an instant $400 fine - same as if  arrive at the airport with a packed lunch! A pre-packaged sealed snack maybe ok but still needs to be declared.  Its much easier just to go to a cafe or restaurant.  

I can't even imagine needing to snack in the evening on a cruise ship LOL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

It is a dilemma straight out of Shakespeare---"to pack or not to pack, that is the question".

Yes -- whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The sprains and strains of outrageous luggage

Or take less, against a sea of possible needs....

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

This is a weird but true, told to me by TSA.  If you pack coffee, which I do, pack it on top in your carryon.  Turns out coffee confuses the drug dogs so security may need to fully inspect your belongings if put in the luggage hold. Ditto when the dogs sniff at the cruise ports 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:34 PM, wcook said:

Both your spouse and the person you are cheating on them with. It’s one or the other. 

Really? Even if I get them separate cabins? Oh darn, you've just spoiled all my fun!!

(Kidding, omg. So kidding.)

• Haha 2

We always bring snacks.  And there was a guy on one cruise who had his bagpipes.  He only played them while in port (with permission from the crew) and hearing him play as we walked back to the ship after a long day in port was kind of magical.

What NOT to bring: all the little worries of your everyday life.  

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

But, how do you decide which half to leave behind?😀

No problem...as long as it is not my better half.

We realized when we started returning home with items we never or very seldom used or wore that downsizing would not be a problem.  Cut out all the 'just in case items'.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This is a weird but true, told to me by TSA.  If you pack coffee, which I do, pack it on top in your carryon.  Turns out coffee confuses the drug dogs so security may need to fully inspect your belongings if put in the luggage hold. Ditto when the dogs sniff at the cruise ports 

That's true - I really want to take coffee bags for my next cruise -but have decided to buy them in the port rather than fly from home. I may have watched too much Border Force NZ /Australia! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

No problem...as long as it is not my better half.

We realized when we started returning home with items we never or very seldom used or wore that downsizing would not be a problem.  Cut out all the 'just in case items'.

Yup - I have lists and when I get home I highlight what didn't get used. Now sometimes I will still carry it e.g. I sometimes don't use my swimsuit but I'm an optimist so I always bring it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That’s actually not true. Dogs can smell through coffee.  The truth is, attempts to conceal drugs in coffee is one of the most common practices so presence of coffee in a suitcase is a red flag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

That’s actually not true. Dogs can smell through coffee.  The truth is, attempts to conceal drugs in coffee is one of the most common practices so presence of coffee in a suitcase is a red flag. 

We have been doing carry on for extended land trips for years.  One of us invariably  has a small zip lock bag of instant decaf coffee in our bag because DW cannot have high test past noon.  Sometimes it is difficult to find in Asia.  Plus a little powdered whitener.  

Never, ever been stopped as a result of sniffer dogs or any other reason.  Ditto for prescription drugs.  Including at least four passes through security in Japan and too many to count in Europe/Asia/Australia.

Edited by iancal

19 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have been doing carry on for extended land trips for years.  One of us invariably  has a small zip lock bag of instant decaf coffee in our bag because DW cannot have high test past noon.  Sometimes it is difficult to find in Asia.  Plus a little powdered whitener.  

Never, ever been stopped as a result of sniffer dogs or any other reason.  Ditto for prescription drugs.  Including at least four passes through security in Japan and too many to count in Europe/Asia/Australia.

I was stopped in New Orleans and my carryon searched. (I am a known traveler).  I was told to always keep the coffee on top.   I was carrying ground coffee and had packed it along the side of the bag not on top.  The agent was quite pleasant and explained it as I described above. 

4 hours ago, lissie said:

. I may have watched too much Border Force NZ /Australia! 

The all-knowing YouTube algorithm decided I wanted to watch these and I binged watched every Canadian episode. Didn’t like the UK version; I should check out the Australian. 

Note: while meat and poultry are strictly prohibited from being brought into Canada, you can bring in up to 4kg of fish. Or one fish if larger.  Gotta love the people who write such laws. 

Edited by wcook
  • Haha 2

On 7/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, lissie said:

Don't ever take food of a cruise ship in Australia/NZ - its in breach of our biosecurity and you will be hit with an instant $400 fine - same as if  arrive at the airport with a packed lunch! A pre-packaged sealed snack maybe ok but still needs to be declared.  Its much easier just to go to a cafe or restaurant.  

I can't even imagine needing to snack in the evening on a cruise ship LOL 

Is this true for packaged snacks?  We are hopefully cruising Australia/New Zealand nexs winter and I always bring some packaged snacks, such as granola/energy bars in case my husband needs something for low blood sugar in ports and also packaged chocolates just for a treat during the day.

On 7/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why people pack food to take on a cruise is beyond my comprehension.  Wine?  Yes.  But, be prepared to pay a corkage charge.  

I used to bring a some chips as they are my favorite snack and aren't abundant on the ship. It was even nicer to have them at port when I wanted something. I agree with you a little more now. I don't anymore.

I absolutely love having a bottle of wine in my room. The minute I'm ready for dinner, I like to start enjoying one (as the other half will take forever to get ready). We just can't drink a whole bottle with dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Is this true for packaged snacks?  We are hopefully cruising Australia/New Zealand nexs winter and I always bring some packaged snacks, such as granola/energy bars in case my husband needs something for low blood sugar in ports and also packaged chocolates just for a treat during the day.

You may have t o declare it - we have energy bars and chocolate here for sale in every shop! 

14 minutes ago, lissie said:

You may have t o declare it - we have energy bars and chocolate here for sale in every shop! 

Do the Customs Agents in New Zealand and Australia still have dogs that sniff bags/packages that are taken off a ship?  

On 7/10/2022 at 6:49 AM, Canuker said:

With tongue in cheek, what are some of the things that should not be taken on a cruise?

Here's one or two to get the list started:

1. Bathroom weigh scales

2. Food!

3. Your GP.

Love how this light hearted funny post turned into customs and immigration lesson 

smh

Edited by Ilovesailaway