Ultimate Dining on the Oasis of the Seas - Tips?

I splurged on my upcoming cruise and got the Ultimate Dining package. This is only me 2nd cruise on RCL. (The first was in 2019).

I'm a little confused when they say they are giving me a reservation for the 1st night. How do they know which restaurant I want? Do I call them in advance?

Where do you go on the Oasis to make reservations? Is it the same place as other reservations, like for the shows?

I believe there's a $20 pp limit for places that offer a la carte. Does this mean $20 for lunch and $20 for dinner? Is Sushi (not the hibachi) available for lunch? Do you need to make reservations for lunch or can you wing it?

Is there a definitive list (for the Oasis) on what menu items are not included? I believe Izumi is $10 pp surcharge.

• Like 1

I dont have any answers but I'd like to follow along as I have similar questions.  I purchased the 3 Dinner package and also saw they will make a reservation for the 1st night (the 2nd night was also an option but when I clicked on it, it said there were no more reservations available).  Since it's only 3 dinners and a 9 day cruise, I'd prefer not to use the package until the 3rd night.  Is it possible to move it on boarding day?

Edited by steevee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Where do you go on the Oasis to make reservations? Is it the same place as other reservations, like for the shows?

You should be able to go to any of specialty restaurants to make your reservations. There is usually someone at the entry stand that will make all your reservations. That's how I've done it in the past. Best advice is to plan ahead which restaurants and what nights you would like but also be a little flexible.

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You should be able to go to any of specialty restaurants to make your reservations. There is usually someone at the entry stand that will make all your reservations. That's how I've done it in the past. Best advice is to plan ahead which restaurants and what nights you would like but also be a little flexible.

I have no problem with being flexible, but I really wish I could do it online. I can imagine there is going to be a line when you first get on. I can imagine wondering if it would be better to find another location to make reservations or stay on the first line you see. What about other reservations like shows? Is it the same line or a different one?

show reservations you can book on the royal app on your phone (if you have one). 

Yes, they will book 1st night just to set a place mark for you but you can also switch that to whatever restaurant / time is available for that evening.      

A lot of people have the BOGO offer and that sometimes requires they use it night 1 / night 2 so they tend to be the busiest days for specialty dining. 

You may be able to book specialty dining from the app once on board but we have always done this in person.       

i.e. go to the restaurant that is least busy after boarding and have a list of what you want to book and they will be happy to help.     

Most places do not book up for lunch but best to check if you want something specific.

I love the UDP , they will make your first reservation but you can get it charged as soon as you get on the ship . I would make all reservations first day but there is no problem getting it changed. Most restaurants you get unlimited appetizers and desserts and one entree. Habatchi does charge a extra ten but I think it’s worth it , Izumi I believe you get a 35 dollar credit. While at sea most restaurants are open so you can have both lunch and dinner in specialty. I had no problems getting the times I wanted.

Edited by George C

Jul 1- Jul 8th- Waited behind 1 person bygoing to Chops immediately upon boarding to book our week of specialty.  Not bad at all.  Then, usually, changing them if you wind up with conflicts aren't impossible- especially if flexible to later dining times.     Yes- each person on the UDP gets $20 at Playmakers- and with the amount of food you get, that is actually hard to hit.  We have also gone several times in 1 day (onion rings and nachos are pretty darn good!)- never a problem or a charge.   Hibatchi is $10 regardless, but kinda cool at sea- one of my moans about Oasis- no views in any of the specialty dining places- all inward facing!

Edited by scottnkim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can, in the app. 

Can you book in the app even if you have UDP, or only if you are paying full price for individual restaurants?
I assume it would not be until you get on the ship that you can schedule for the UDP even if it is online, correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

I have no problem with being flexible, but I really wish I could do it online. I can imagine there is going to be a line when you first get on. I can imagine wondering if it would be better to find another location to make reservations or stay on the first line you see. What about other reservations like shows? Is it the same line or a different one?

I’ve never had to wait in a long line to make my dinner reservations. Most of the restaurants will have someone to help you.

Shows can be done via the app like Debbie said.

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can, in the app. 

Once on board.

11 minutes ago, Happy New Cruiser said:

Can you book in the app even if you have UDP, or only if you are paying full price for individual restaurants?
I assume it would not be until you get on the ship that you can schedule for the UDP even if it is online, correct?

You would be paying full price if booked by the app. Now you could in theory and some have tried it, book by the app at full price at the day and time you want as a placeholder and then cancel and move your UDP to that reservation. You then would get OBC for the full price that you paid. I would not worry about making your reservations. It will go just fine.

• Like 3

No pre reservation is made, you only have a place holder for their records. Best bet would be booking as soon as you board at 150 CP, that would probably be the shortest line.  If you hit the 20 or 30 dollar  a la carte limit they close your tab and open a new one. If you get to checkin before your time and you have to wait there is a good chance you can book through the App while waiting in the terminal. No worries, we have always had packages and have never had a problem getting the times or restaurants we wanted, although we do eat late.  I have found the perfect way of a non stress restaurant booking system.  I sit at Trellis bar enjoying a few  Gin and Tonics waiting for my wife to return from making all reservations.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, LeeW said:

If you want to book online you need to pay full price.  By booking a package you get times that are left over.

Not true. With UDP, on the first day when you embark, you can get anytime you want on any day you want, so long as it's available and most are early, but maybe less so later on.  Plus you can change to another day or time later on.

@LeeWis correct to an extent.  When you purchase the UDP and you are not booked in a full suite, you are basically third in line to make your dining reservations behind (1) those who pay full price and select their dining times when they purchase (2) those in full suites who can have the suites Concierge or the Genie book their specialty dining prior to embarkation (3) those who purchase the UDP who must wait until boarding to make their reservations.  Does that mean that the UDP folks have only crappy dining times left to choose from ?  No, not necessarily, but they are definitely at the back of the line.  I have never had a problem getting desirable reservations with the UDP but I have read of others who have had less positive results.  It’s the chance you take for getting specialty dining at a discount.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I splurged on my upcoming cruise and got the Ultimate Dining package. This is only me 2nd cruise on RCL. (The first was in 2019).

I'm a little confused when they say they are giving me a reservation for the 1st night. How do they know which restaurant I want? Do I call them in advance?

I believe there's a $20 pp limit for places that offer a la carte. Does this mean $20 for lunch and $20 for dinner? Is Sushi (not the hibachi) available for lunch? Do you need to make reservations for lunch or can you wing it?

Is there a definitive list (for the Oasis) on what menu items are not included? I believe Izumi is $10 pp surcharge.

Since I see you are on my sailing... go to the Roll Call as I have left a message there regarding your questions

19 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

No pre reservation is made, you only have a place holder for their records. Best bet would be booking as soon as you board at 150 CP, that would probably be the shortest line.  If you hit the 20 or 30 dollar  a la carte limit they close your tab and open a new one. If you get to checkin before your time and you have to wait there is a good chance you can book through the App while waiting in the terminal. No worries, we have always had packages and have never had a problem getting the times or restaurants we wanted, although we do eat late.  I have found the perfect way of a non stress restaurant booking system.  I sit at Trellis bar enjoying a few  Gin and Tonics waiting for my wife to return from making all reservations.  

That open a new tab idea may not apply on all ships. Definitely did not work on Indy

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Messaging does not work on this site, so just share what you learned from your call with everyone.

Just did not want to post a long one.... but here goes:

Ok, I just noticed that I had made a thread (‘Unlimited Dining Plan on Oasis: They can't change it after you bought it can they?????’ started June 30th) about all the ‘fun’ I had with how RCL seemed to change the actual tenant of the commercial agreement/contract that I had entered into back in Sept. 2021 for an August Oasis sailing.

The transaction details, date, the goods or services sold, price, payment details, and how the agreement can be terminated all were identified clearly to both parties when I purchased the UDP but unfortunately, certain things changed on the RCL site, with respect to the UDP in June… and more importantly, RCL confirmed the changes.

Chief among those changes were how the ala carte credit was applied, specifically it was presented ‘at the time of sale’ as a $35 credit at ALL ala carte locations (Izumi, Izumi Saki & Lunch, Solarium Bistro) with the ONLY exceptions being Port Side BBQ and Playmakers where you receive a $20 food credit.

Now it lists “For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you'll receive a $20 food credit” for any a la carte restaurants.

For me, and especially for my boys, sushi was the driving force behind our purchasing, and I might add prepaying of over $1k, of the UDP so the $35 rather than $20 at Izumi was material.  Solarium dinner was so for me.

There were some minor other changes but what was argued with RCL for almost a month was that you can’t change the offer after the payment was accepted.  If they want to change the UDP for any new buyers, fine, but not for those who already bought it.

The first comment from RCL was that they can change and/or eliminate any parts of the UDP at any …. Where I stopped them and said not in the US.  Then they stated, if you don’t want it, cancel it, where I said that’s not how commercial law works and not a very good Customer Service Policy.

Some ships, including Oasis, have still allowed the $35, some no.  Some have made other ‘arrangements’, such as closing your bill and starting a new one so that you could get more than the $20.  One traveler posted that they would go with their kids and give them their order, so the total could be over $20.

A TA suggested I go to Guest Services if they limit to $20 at Izumi but NO WAY I am going to sit in those tremendous lines just to get a fix to something that I already bought.

Last comment/suggestion made to me was to bring the screenshot of the UDP, when I purchased it, which clearly states the $35 at Izumi (and $35 at Solarium which I wanted) but that is not a solution as that puts the pressure on the server… who has little control.

Another issue was I saw my Day One, 2 hr reservation (with restaurant location) when I bought the UDP then the location disappeared altogether and I was told later that I have to now book it once I arrive on ship… even though it was listed in my planner for over 3 weeks?  That’s not a killer, as I have to book all the others that way BUT why the change, again AFTER THE FACT?

Again, I plan to be understanding on the ship as to closures (show/food/etc.) should COVID show its %^%$# head, as that’s not RCL’s fault (I hope), BUT don’t do the two-step on me at the corporate level.

To put it a different ‘analogous way’, as I did to RCL on the call, I bought sneakers with laces, don’t tell me now that the laces are not part of the deal!

Some may find this petty but you have never seen my kids eat sushi!

I have purchased the UDP on our upcoming Symphony cruise. It states that "For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge." According to the menu, you will be able to pick 1 small plate (starters), pick 2 of the large plates (covers Rolls, sashimi and bowls and 1 dessert.

This is what I received with the 3 night dining pkg on Explorer this past November. 

All this for an extra $10 is not bad. I was very full with plenty to eat. I think you will be fine and will enjoy it very much.