Refundable Deposit Crazy Cost

_Rick_

I just looked at a SS, 9 N and price was $19K+ 😳 refundable deposit was $1972.

Think there is a glitch in the system.  From what I have seen the charge for a refundable has been about 10% of the cruise fare.  

• Thanks 1

Maybe it's a higher nonrefundable deposit for a suite and/or a sailing booked farther in advance? Last week, I booked two verandah staterooms for a December 2022 sailing, and the upcharge to refundable deposit was an additional $77 per stateroom (which I opted for). It's fully refundable until late September 2022, so just under three months that I could take advantage - perhaps why the cost was lower.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I just looked at a SS, 9 N and price was $19K+ 😳 refundable deposit was $1972.

Think there is a glitch in the system.  From what I have seen the charge for a refundable has been about 10% of the cruise fare.  

I would have to agree with what you are seeing.    I normally find the Refundable to cost in the  range of 1%.     If far out I often book using refundable deposit and as I get closer I change to non-refundable when I get a price match.      My thoughts are that it costs of the RF is more than the deposit I don't take the refundable option.   

Hopefully a glitch in their system! Pricing an October 2023 Southampton to the Canary Islands cruise show over 3k extra for a refundable deposit in a balcony and over 4K for an Aqua class room, normally it $300.00-400.00 extra. Crazy

The $6128 is 49% of the cost of the suite for the 11 day cruise.  It's Hawaii on Summit in 2024.  I will never pay more for the cabin than the amount to make the deposit refundable.  It doesn't make sense to me, even at an amount that is not an obvious mistake like this.  

I had already booked this cruise a three days ago for this same suite and there was a problem then because they did not include the Retreat package in an Aqua Sky Suite.  I had to call them to get it straightened out.  Two days later they fixed the problem on the suite booking to include the Retreat package but raised the price $1100.  To their credit they gave me the lower price with the package.  But customers should not have to deal with these glitches when spending thousands on cruises.  I wonder how many other non-informed customers booked this suite expecting to get the Retreat package, as it is prominently advertised during the booking process, but then will be upset when they get onboard and have no perks they were advertised to receive.

Celebrity needs to get their act together on fixing their booking process website.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _Rick_ said:

1 hour ago, _Rick_ said:

X wants me to pay $6128 more for my Sky Suite so that my $900 deposit will be refundable.  Umm.... I think I'll pass.  

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 11.04.01 AM.png

A heck of a lot cheaper to just insure your deposit.

Edited by Peteymil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The add-on price for a refundable deposit on Japan transpacifics is usually low compared to other itineraries, like in the $300 or so range for a balcony. I checked today and it's almost $1,700!!! I hope it's a glitch in the system. 

• Haha 1

I noticed the exorbitant refundable deposit when making a dummy booking under new promo. Also for Equinox 9/23 only pricing available is “Cruise Only” On repricing my 4/23 Transatlantic the cost increase is over 3000.00 for an Infinite Veranda. Something is not right!

I booked the cheapest balcony for a 9 night equinox cruise in Jan 2024 around a month ago and the refundable extra charge was at around $1600CAD then a couple of weeks ago it went down to around $500 and todays it’s now $2100… 🤷🏼‍♂️

I suspect they dropped a new version of the website to correspond with the pricing structure changes introduced today.   Looks like there are bugs which have been pretty standard during these transitions.  I would never book/deposit directly on their website.   I might put something on hold.  Get the guest invoice to verify everything is correct, then call and deposit.    Better yet go through a good TA.

I think they made updates last night to the site. I was looking at veranda rooms for a cruise and it was showing the cruise only fare the same as the fare that included tips, drink and Wi-Fi. This morning it was fixed…but I bet some people got a great deal booking last night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

I think they made updates last night to the site. I was looking at veranda rooms for a cruise and it was showing the cruise only fare the same as the fare that included tips, drink and Wi-Fi. This morning it was fixed…but I bet some people got a great deal booking last night.

Reminds me of the couple who got the top suite for a sweet price.  IT needs to be careful, or the sharp-eyed customer gets a deal.  This goes both ways; however, IT has been an issue for years.  Once you get on the ship, all the prior problems usually melt away quickly.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, _Rick_ said:

The $6128 is 49% of the cost of the suite for the 11 day cruise.  It's Hawaii on Summit in 2024.  I will never pay more for the cabin than the amount to make the deposit refundable.  It doesn't make sense to me, even at an amount that is not an obvious mistake like this.  

I had already booked this cruise a three days ago for this same suite and there was a problem then because they did not include the Retreat package in an Aqua Sky Suite.  I had to call them to get it straightened out.  Two days later they fixed the problem on the suite booking to include the Retreat package but raised the price $1100.  To their credit they gave me the lower price with the package.  But customers should not have to deal with these glitches when spending thousands on cruises.  I wonder how many other non-informed customers booked this suite expecting to get the Retreat package, as it is prominently advertised during the booking process, but then will be upset when they get onboard and have no perks they were advertised to receive.

Celebrity needs to get their act together on fixing their booking process website.

Do you think that will happen anytime soon.  Lol.   I always use a TA that ties into group space thus always refundable and extra OBC.

They probably have some sort of algorithm built into the system which cause huge fluctuations. The regular pricing appears to be the same way. Probably based on some sort of supply and demand coupled with days left until the cruise. IE: If all suites are sold out except one, then the price of that one suite might automatically go sky high based on some sort of algorithm. If it's only a week till the cruise, then that one suite might suddenly go low in price.

If the software is doing the calculations this way, then perhaps logic goes out the window at times.

Having cruised on 6 different cruise lines Celebrity has become my favorite but this new exorbitant refundable deposit fee snd the elimination of Always Included etc, will send me running back to Princess and HAL.

I’m still waiting for Celebrity’s official roll out of the new- awful pricing structure. 

2 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

Having cruised on 6 different cruise lines Celebrity has become my favorite but this new exorbitant refundable deposit fee snd the elimination of Always Included etc, will send me running back to Princess and HAL.

I’m still waiting for Celebrity’s official roll out of the new- awful pricing structure. 

I haven’t seen where AI isn’t a option.  I just put a hold on a December cruise, Conceigre cabin and had a choice of a Cruise Only or All Included price.