Diamond Lounge Coffee

6 hours ago, Seannie said:

uhhh so what kind of coffee do you drink on board?

uhhh, we buy specialty coffee that to me is  better tasting.  I'm not saying it's great coffee either, but I like mochas when I can't get really good black coffee. My point was and is that the coffee from the machines in the DL and CL aren't good.  I just don't get the obsession some seem to have with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BND said:

My point was and is that the coffee from the machines in the DL and CL aren't good.  I just don't get the obsession some seem to have with it.

Do you really not understand that it's simply a difference of opinion and that's OK?

I find the cappuccino in the DL/SL quite good and enjoy drinking it every morning. Clearly you have a different opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. Not sure why you keep repeating your opinion as if it's fact. Tastes are subjective.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

One of my favorite perks actually. 

I love the morning beverage in the DL. Just a tea drinker here, happily several times a day, and the machine and the setup suits me just fine. 

if the coffee and/or the coffee machine offends you, please don’t use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We were recently on the Adventure and most days the coffee machine was broken.  People trying to fix it.  Not worth anything.  You can purchase an inexpensive coffee card and have a much better cup of coffee at sorrentos and enjoy with your family as you can both use the same card.  I think it was good for 15 coffees.  Including espresso and cappuccino.   Only diamond and diamond plus allowed in the lounge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BND said:

We love good coffee.  My preferred coffee is Jamaican Blue Mountain or a good Kona.  DL coffee is neither.  I also don't drink the "free" coffee onboard.  Every time we go to Jamaica we buy Blue Mountain for us and family.  The coffee machines in the lounges is only popular because people think they're getting something for free.  

(Standing behind BND & spouse in line & watching the them order) “I’ll have what they’re having!!”

Barista: “Here’s a hot cup of Kopi luwak for you Sir!”

(Slurping)

Me: “Wow!?!! THAT ISSS A GOOOOOOOOD cup of coffeeeeeee!  Where do the beans come from?”

Barista gives explanation.

Seconds later…..

Barista:  “PVI PVI!!!!!!”

Edited by Seannie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Do you really not understand that it's simply a difference of opinion and that's OK?

I find the cappuccino in the DL/SL quite good and enjoy drinking it every morning. Clearly you have a different opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. Not sure why you keep repeating your opinion as if it's fact. Tastes are subjective.

Do you?  I stated what I think of it.  I never said anyone had to think like I do lol.

Edited by BND

10 hours ago, BND said:

We love good coffee.  My preferred coffee is Jamaican Blue Mountain or a good Kona.  DL coffee is neither.  I also don't drink the "free" coffee onboard.  Every time we go to Jamaica we buy Blue Mountain for us and family.  The coffee machines in the lounges is only popular because people think they're getting something for free.  

Honestly never had a bad coffee in the lounges. A couple times it hasn't been very hot, but that's about it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alex_drew said:

On our past two cruises 2021/2022, we had the deluxe drink pkg so often got coffee at Cafe Lattitudes, but we also got wonderful coffee at the DL.  We do like strong coffee and were able to get that at both Cafe Lattitudes and the DL...  I've had both Blue Mountain and Kona and they are a little milder and maybe "smoother", so while lovely, just not my particular preference.  As another poster said, "different strokes". 😊

Some machines allow you to change the strength.  Look for a button with coffee beans

1 = weak

2 = normal (default)

3 = strong

8 hours ago, rudeney said:

I assume the DL's coffee machine is similar (if not identical) to the SL's?  I really enjoy the SL's machine.  I usually do a triple-espresso for myself, and a latte for my my wife each morning.  We really aren't coffee snobs, so just some good fresh beans are find with us.  Our "daily drinker" coffee comes from a Keurig machine.  I prefer the Newman's and my wife drinks flavored crap, so the lounge machines are a treat for us.  

Not always the same. FWIW, on Indy the DL had a nicer/newer one than SL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

uhhh, we buy specialty coffee that to me is  better tasting.  I'm not saying it's great coffee either, but I like mochas when I can't get really good black coffee. My point was and is that the coffee from the machines in the DL and CL aren't good.  I just don't get the obsession some seem to have with it.

Your obsessive dislike seems to be the outlier here 😉

• Like 8

5 hours ago, cublet said:

Sadly neither seem to be cleaned as regularly as I used to see on Indy/Adventure/Navigator/Explorer when in UK. The small excuse for a sink in the DL is totally useless for washing-out the brewing unit that might explain why it is not done.

They definitely do not use the small sink in the lounge to clean the various parts.    

I have been at DL early on Anthem and have seen them bring out various parts of the machine on a cart or by hand from the mini kitchen area (door to the right of the food/coffee area) where they cleaned overnight and re-assembled machine with fresh beans, milk etc.   Believe me I have patiently waiting and watched them so I could make my coffee.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seannie said:

(Standing behind BND & spouse in line & watching the them order) “I’ll have what they’re having!!”

Barista: “Here’s a hot cup of Kopi luwak for you Sir!”

(Slurping)

Me: “Wow!?!! THAT ISSS A GOOOOOOOOD cup of coffeeeeeee!  Where do the beans come from?”

I have had Kopi Luwak and I did not think it was all that good.  

A friend of mine roast his own beans and I am able to occasionally beg an 8-oz bag or two from him.  I really like his Nicaraguan peaberry.  He knows we prefer a milder roast and that's what he give me. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I look forward to the lounge coffee😁

But I'm a glutton for punishment I'm told🙀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

Oh I like the DL coffee too, a great perk! I don't recall ever having a broken machine, just lucky I guess. 

Combination of broken or just turned off.

Cruised 100+ times. Only broken a couple times, and usually no longer than a few hours 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Are you referring to personal home machines or the ones in the D Lounge?

Lounge machines

This is Indy SL. Notice the 2 beans in lower left of control screen just touch it

20220617_175228.thumb.jpg.af6c3f48e9a906afb204a995aa93853e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were recently on the Adventure and most days the coffee machine was broken.  People trying to fix it.  Not worth anything.  You can purchase an inexpensive coffee card and have a much better cup of coffee at sorrentos and enjoy with your family as you can both use the same card.  I think it was good for 15 coffees.  Including espresso and cappuccino.   Only diamond and diamond plus allowed in the lounge.

Did you know that you could use your seapass and get free coffee from Starbucks when machine on Adventure was broken?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We are Diamond, but, it has been many years since we have sailed with RCI.  I notice for my upcoming cruise the DL is not open until 8am!!  What??!!!  I need my coffee and 6am, lol.

Cafe Promenade. $4.50 plus tip

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did you know that you could use your seapass and get free coffee from Starbucks when machine on Adventure was broken?   

I've typically been steered towards Cafe Promenade. But even that is hit or miss

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I've typically been steered towards Cafe Promenade. But even that is hit or miss

Probably varies by ship.   Adventure kept having problems and were trying their best to keep it running while waiting for a new machine.

• Like 2