Covid test conundrum

They are not valid.  You'd need a proctored test. NCL has a couple of suggested one's.  Depending on the rules in January you may not need one.  I would wait to order tests until nov. early dec.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, davencl said:

They are not valid.  You'd need a proctored test.

The latest ones have QR codes to sign up for a proctored session to do the test and get it 'certified' so you can use it for travel.  Yes, there is a cost for the proctor.

• Like 4

I use the Azova video proctor service and my results were accepted for other cruise lines so far. another good video proctor service is onpoint testing

the video proctor service is only around 15-20 dollars

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Haven't really paid attention to the current testing requirement for NCL but just booked our next 7 day cruise for this coming January.

I ordered the free covid tests provided by the US government this week. Are those tests valid to board?

We use the NCL-recommended (ncl.com/safe) eMed proctored test for all of our NCL and RCCL cruises. Fast. Easy. Done at the kitchen table sipping coffee in the morning. You get email results within 30 seconds after showing the proctor the negative results. For us, when I submit the receipt for the proctored tests to my insurance company, our medical insurance covers 100% of the cost. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We use the NCL-recommended (ncl.com/safe) eMed proctored test for all of our NCL and RCCL cruises. Fast. Easy. Done at the kitchen table sipping coffee in the morning. You get email results within 30 seconds after showing the proctor the negative results. For us, when I submit the receipt for the proctored tests to my insurance company, our medical insurance covers 100% of the cost. 

I just ordered the test from eMed for my September cruise. Just so I’m prepared, will I need a charge card to pay the proctor or is that included in the cost of the tests?? TIA

3 minutes ago, NayRN said:

I just ordered the test from eMed for my September cruise. Just so I’m prepared, will I need a charge card to pay the proctor or is that included in the cost of the tests?? TIA

The eMed tests, if they indicate they are the proctored version, have it included in the cost.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eppler said:

NCL dropped  the requirement to test before boarding as of August 1st for most departures.

For most departures outside the US and Canada.  Yes, I know you said "most", but it helps to be entirely clear.  Cruises from the US and Canada will still require tests.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone used OnPoint proctored testing with your own home test?   

Would you recommend them?

Their website shows a very reasonable $15 proctoring cost and says they are available 24/7 for appointments.  We already have a good supply of home test kits (thanks to our insurance) so it seems wasteful to order the full kits from Emed.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I've signed up for OnPoint testing for 2 upcoming cruises, as have friends.  But no, I've never used them yet.  I'll let you know how well it works.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, Warm-Water Diver said:

Haven't really paid attention to the current testing requirement for NCL but just booked our next 7 day cruise for this coming January.

I ordered the free covid tests provided by the US government this week. Are those tests valid to board?

They are actually valid, but you have to pay for a proctor. I know others said they are not valid. We have used them very successfully before, and will use them again for our September cruise and our October/November cruises. I have NEVER paid for a COVID test, only a proctor to watch, and send me an email of the result. The last proctor we paid for was $20 per person. But we'll try onpoint for our next cruise. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cuterlmt said:

They are actually valid, but you have to pay for a proctor. I know others said they are not valid. We have used them very successfully before, and will use them again for our September cruise and our October/November cruises. I have NEVER paid for a COVID test, only a proctor to watch, and send me an email of the result. The last proctor we paid for was $20 per person. But we'll try onpoint for our next cruise. 

Used onpoint for my most recent cruise with my “free” gov’t test proctoring.  Onpoint was $14.95.  The test was no charge.  Embarked on NCL Getaway with onpoint’s negative test result which I printed out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Used onpoint for my most recent cruise with my “free” gov’t test proctoring.  Onpoint was $14.95.  The test was no charge.  Embarked on NCL Getaway with onpoint’s negative test result which I printed out.

Is it good for Bermuda?  That is the big question I have. 

I have the BinaxNow test kits but don't want to take a chance.

18 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Their website shows a very reasonable $15 proctoring cost and says they are available 24/7 for appointments.  We already have a good supply of home test kits (thanks to our insurance) so it seems wasteful to order the full kits from Emed.  

OnPoint proctor test works except when it does not.

It has no proper customer service (by email, phone, text - whatever)

They use a different third party to issue you a report.

Again, if it works, it is perfectly ok.

In our case, they messed up date/time posted on the report rendering the whole pre-testing circus useless. Lots of aggravation few hours before catching long haul flight.

This is just data point. Statistically not significant. Your experience may vary.

Given our experience with them. we are using one of the other companies for our next cruise.

CANNOT RECOMMEND OnPoint based on our experience

(but many others have found no issues - just dont expect any customer service when they make a mistake)

• Thanks 1

With all this and that about getting tested  before cruising, if all has failed somehow, is NCL still providing testing at the Port, for your cost??  Would like to hear about anyone for whatever reason able to be tested at a US Port recently before getting on Ship.  Many thanks

On 7/14/2022 at 4:32 PM, davencl said:

They are not valid.  You'd need a proctored test. NCL has a couple of suggested one's.  Depending on the rules in January you may not need one.  I would wait to order tests until nov. early dec.

Yup, I believe that the testing requirements will be eliminated for fully vaccinated passengers by next January.

I'm very sorry to ask this question, but I've looked at the NCL website and I can't find language similar to Celebrity (we took a Celebrity cruise in January) regarding what constitutes 2 days.  So for a cruise leaving on a Saturday, does that mean you can take the antigen test any time on Thursday or Friday before the Saturday departure? (leaving from Port Canaveral).

Thank you all so much.

David