LGBT or Friends of Dorothy Meet up on Solstice to Alaska

ScottC4746

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

LOL.  At your meeting can you find me a letter too?  I am a straight, fat, retired Caucasian guy.  SFRCG?😃

Oh Rick, you damn straight people always muddy the waters!  Not to worry though, we find a way to include you...

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Funny Rick.

I am a WASP and I think everyone figured that out by now ;-). I am just upset because now if I wear anything with a pineapple on it the swingers will be chasing after me. In Palm Beach most homes have these lovely pineapple plaques at their gates. I guarantee they do not know the "new" meaning either. 

Just think about the Dole plantation in Hawaii.....😢

I had no idea about the meaning of the pineapple symbol.  It is impossible to keep up with this stuff!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I had no idea about the meaning of the pineapple symbol.  It is impossible to keep up with this stuff!

I only found out recently on a TA cruise.  I had pineapple towel clips for the loungers and I had them upside down clipped for some reason.  A guy I'd met onboard and I were talking at my chairs and he said he liked my clips.  I said I got them on Amazon and he looked at me strangely.  He then told me about the "other" meaning.  I laughed my ass off and kept them exactly where they were!!!  Thanks Jose 🤣  

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Last night when I calmed down about it, I told my daughter about the pineapples. She said in Newport Beach where she lives, there is a neighborhood known for swingers and they put the pineapples on their front doors.

Now when I cruise I will be looking for the pineapples and it kind of ruined it for me. I also love coconuts and hope nobody ruins those. Does a Pina Colada in a pineapple now have a special meaning too?

Maybe we can all be just an "H" for humans. So much easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Well you could also got the the Fiends of Bill gathering.   All are welcome but few attend.  You may have to google that one also.

I made that error on my very first Celebrity Cruise.  Took my partner to "Friends of Bill" thinking it was "Friends of Dorothy".  So glad we have graduated to LGBTQI+. Hope to run into you and Iain on the B2B Iceland cruise in 5 days.  Perhaps not at the martini bar.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Last night when I calmed down about it, I told my daughter about the pineapples. She said in Newport Beach where she lives, there is a neighborhood known for swingers and they put the pineapples on their front doors.

Now when I cruise I will be looking for the pineapples and it kind of ruined it for me. I also love coconuts and hope nobody ruins those. Does a Pina Colada in a pineapple now have a special meaning too?

Maybe we can all be just an "H" for humans. So much easier.

tb - reminds me of Lou Reeds song "Walk On The Wild Side"... LOL

I would not worry much about the 'signs', if one is approached about a particular sign, just look at them askewed and then they will know you have no clue as to what they are talking about...

I know as I have done it often, even if I did know what the sign was... LOL

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

tb - reminds me of Lou Reeds song "Walk On The Wild Side"... LOL

I would not worry much about the 'signs', if one is approached about a particular sign, just look at them askewed and then they will know you have no clue as to what they are talking about...

I know as I have done it often, even if I did know what the sign was... LOL

bon voyage

Not too difficult for me to have no clue what they are talking about. It Truly comes naturally 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdv31616 said:

I made that error on my very first Celebrity Cruise.  Took my partner to "Friends of Bill" thinking it was "Friends of Dorothy".  So glad we have graduated to LGBTQI+. Hope to run into you and Iain on the B2B Iceland cruise in 5 days.  Perhaps not at the martini bar.

I would imagine that some Friends of Dorothy are also Friends of Bill. 

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL...... you will have to google on that one also.  This thread is really going off topic, but giving me a lot of much need laughs this afternoon.

On a cruise (and sometimes also on land) ‘pineapple’ is code for swinging or wife-swapping. If you see pineapple on a cruise ship door it means the people are up for meeting other couples for ‘adult fun’.

Thanks for the heads up.  Very informative thread. I guess when I put magnetic prunes on the cruise ship doors means we are looking for a couple of old fa_ts 😀. Can I say that?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, mdv31616 said:

Look forward to it.    You will always find me out walking laps between 10:00 and 1:00pm unless raining or too heavy winds.    Iain also walks but ends up sitting at the smoking area near the Mast Bar until I finish off walking. 

With us both being on the B2B I'm sure we will bump into each other.   Just stop us and introduce yourself if you see us.  I'm a avid audio-book listener and often in a different world while listening.  

We are late diners and don't usually have dinner until 8:45 - 9:00 and notice that Late diners and Early diners seem to have totally different schedules.  We usually aren't finished cleaning up until around 7:00. 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely not offended.

Friends of Bill W is the daily AA meeting that is held daily on almost all ships.    Bill W was the founder of AA

I was also curious of the derivation of the Term Friends of Dorthy and found an interesting explanation.

The phrase “friend of Dorothy” – a slang term for gay men that refers to Garland's character in The Wizard of Oz – dates to the second World War and likely relates to the Cowardly Lion, an avowed sissy, and the alternate, rainbow family that Dorothy gathers around her.

Never heard that explanation before. I've always heard two origins for the phrase:

1) Connecting to Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz because she was played in the 1939 film  by Judy Garland who was a gay icon.

2) Connecting to writer Dorothy Parker who moved within circles full of gay men. To get into secret gatherings (back in the days when it was illegal for them to gather) gays would use the term "friend of Dorothy" as a password to gain entry.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Never heard that explanation before. I've always heard two origins for the phrase:

1) Connecting to Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz because she was played in the 1939 film  by Judy Garland who was a gay icon.

2) Connecting to writer Dorothy Parker who moved within circles full of gay men. To get into secret gatherings (back in the days when it was illegal for them to gather) gays would use the term "friend of Dorothy" as a password to gain entry.

I think I like your #2 the best.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Glad someone finally mentioned NY socialite Dorothy Parker. 

She’s mentioned here....

https://www.deemichel.info/about-the-title.html

On 7/31/2022 at 8:13 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Wow a bit of stereo typing for sure.    I guess all the straights like to eat early.   Lots of them will even drink with us gays that choose not to drink at the Martini bar. 

OK..no insult intended - just got carried away.

I'll never forget walking into a large restaurant in Queensland, Au  with a big sign -  No Fags this side  (meaning of course cigarettes)  it did catch my attention.

Some of us like to eat all the time......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

So, perhaps more back to the original intent of the OP, I do feel that 6:00 PM is a rather poor time for any group event. Too close to dinner time, and 5:00 PM would be better. 

While there may be a published greeting time, in reality people come and go pre- and after dinner -  both early and late seating.   My experience has been that of course it is not an exclusive event and people of all persuasions enjoying a nice drink is the theme. 

19 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

So, perhaps more back to the original intent of the OP, I do feel that 6:00 PM is a rather poor time for any group event. Too close to dinner time, and 5:00 PM would be better. 

Thinking about your point.  Other times maybe would be inconvenient too.  During the day there are excursions.  After dinner there are shows.  So around dinner time everybody could work around it by adjusting the time/place of their dinner that day. 

2 hours ago, PatEv said:

The mischievous side of me want to buy a dozen pineapple fridge magnets and go round one night putting them on random doors....

Yesterday while having coffee I noticed I had pineapples on my shorts.    I had a good chuckle.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Thinking about your point.  Other times maybe would be inconvenient too.  During the day there are excursions.  After dinner there are shows.  So around dinner time everybody could work around it by adjusting the time/place of their dinner that day. 

On Carnival they change up the times on each cruise to avoid these issues, which I think is a great idea.