Oceania Vs HAL for South Pacific

DAF7065

I hope this type of topic is allowed.   Here is my question for those that have cruised both ships.   Or in the area we are looking to visit. 

At the end of 2023 I retire and was looking for a break away cruise.   Something to start our new life and get out of the work mode.

With that we saw two options.   One is the HAL 35 day round trip San Diego hitting HI, Tahiti and other French Polynesia. 

KONIGSDAM
February 17 - March 23, 2024

The other is

Oceania Cruises
REGATTA
March 30 - April 20, 2024

21 days Tahiti, HI then LA.  

I go back and forth on these two trying to weigh out each option.    Here are some questions and concerns

35 days seems long time to be away from home / on a ship,  especially as this will be only our second cruise.   Plan one 12 day Med in 2023.  Any issues / advice for the 35 days vs 21 days?

Any thoughts on either line?   What I see is both are good in their own way.  

Dates?   I am guessing both about the same for travel and weather.

Flights not so worried about as I probable use my Delta Miles will have some left over from work.  

Round trip San Diego is easier.  But for me I have been on plenty of Trans Pac flights for work.   So I am OK. but not so much my wife.  

Spending a few days in Tahiti before the Oceania Cruise seems worth the while, any thoughts on this?  I think in general this is pushing us to Oceania.  

I look forward to hear any advice to help with these questions.    I also look forward to hearing your opinions on either of these two lines if you cruised and enjoyed either line. 

Thanks,

Dave

11 minutes ago, DAF7065 said:

I hope this type of topic is allowed.   Here is my question for those that have cruised both ships.   Or in the area we are looking to visit. 

At the end of 2023 I retire and was looking for a break away cruise.   Something to start our new life and get out of the work mode.

With that we saw two options.   One is the HAL 35 day round trip San Diego hitting HI, Tahiti and other French Polynesia. 

KONIGSDAM

The other is

Oceania Cruises
REGATTA

I go back and forth on these two trying to weigh out each option.    Here are some questions and concerns

35 days seems long time to be away from home / on a ship,  especially as this will be only our second cruise.   Plan one 12 day Med in 2023.  Any issues / advice for the 35 days vs 21 days?

Flights not so worried about as I probable use my Delta Miles will have some left over from work.  

Round trip San Diego is easier.  But for me I have been on plenty of Trans Pac flights for work.   So I am OK. but not so much my wife.  

Spending a few days in Tahiti before the Oceania Cruise seems worth the while, any thoughts on this?  I think in general this is pushing us to Oceania.  

I look forward to hear any advice to help with these questions.    I also look forward to hearing your opinions on either of these two lines if you cruised and enjoyed either line. 

Thanks,

Dave

Most importantly, 35 days (which we do regularly on Oceania) requires a stellar shipboard experience (food, service, cabin amenities and inclusive items like internet/beverages....).

That said, I doubt you’d find anyone who’d say that HAL’s food compares favorably to Oceania. Then there’s ship size, passenger/crew and space ratios - all of which would be far better on O.

Note as well that O Life fares include airfare or an air credit as well as a choice of one perk from tours, booze or SBC. 

FWIW: we’ve done several Polynesia cruises with O - all longer cruises that included or ended in Polynesia. In fact, we’ll do 5 weeks SYD to SYD to PPT on Regatta this coming February/March 2023. And, yes, we add land days at both ends. This time it will include a stay in Tahiti at the Intercontinental (a favorite of ours). BTW, check out United for any air involving PPT.   

Having sailed both lines I’d completely agree with Flatbush Flyer. While we’ve done many cruises longer than 35 days, if you are on that long a cruise Oceania is a more pleasant experience, partially because it will have great quality of the varied food and because it’s adult only experienced cruiser mix will provide a wonderful chance to enjoy the passenger type they attract. I’d also agree with his assessment of the Intercontinental Hotel in Papeete, where we have stayed a couple of times.

• Like 1

Hal ships is much larger  more PAX  2600

R ship under 700

Go for the itinerary  & what ticks the most boxes  for YOU

If you can fit in  a short cruise on both ships  try that before you commit  to a longer cruise

Your itinerary requires alot of tendering.  With 2650 passengers on the Konigsdam, it may take awhile to get ashore, not a pleasant option.  Just remember, the passengers on longer cruises tend to be older, but even older if it is a round-trip cruise.  With a larger ship, you have more activities though this could be offset a little bit by an older less active fellow passengers.  My biggest strike against the Konigsdam is that when you think of Tahiti, you are really thinking of Bora-Bora - the Konigsdam doesn't go there - it is too big.  Food is much better on Oceania though the entertainment is better on Holland America.  So, Oceania would be the better choice unless you like to be on a really long cruise or you hate flying or entertainment is very important to you.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAF7065 said:

KONIGSDAM

The other is

Oceania Cruises
REGATTA

Thanks,

Dave

We took a very similar  HAL cruise in 2014 - although it was on the Statendam, less than half the size of Konigsdam, so more similar to Regatta in that respect. That cruise remains one of our favorites, but it will depend on your personal preferences ...

Much of the time difference is that you trade air travel for sea travel. While both have extended passages, the HAL trip has even more. Do you already know if you enjoy multiple days at sea? Some people love them (like us), others find them boring and can't wait to get back to a port for land exploration. You may want to consider this regarding either cruise. Your Meddy trip will give you a flavour for a port-intensive trip vs extended ocean passages and how you like that.

Like you, I flew extensively for work - but once retired, I could care less if I ever saw an airport again. Given the chance, I'd opt for sea transport over air anytime - but you may feel differently. If you fly, a few extra days to get used to the time change will enhance your trip.

Of all the Polynesian stops we made, we were least impressed with Papeete - we found it quite commercialized and the harbour less than clean. As was mentioned by @deadzone1003, it would be a shame to miss Bora Bora, although the HAL trip goes to Raiatea, which is almost as stunning. 

Pricing is similar in amount, but of course, HAL is two weeks longer. I believe you'll find Oceania to be more upscale than HAL, but you're paying for it. We have over 300 sea days on HAL, but have moved on, as we find their overall quality has declined significantly over the years - still adequate, but not nearly as special as it once was.

Regarding the length of a trip, that's entirely personal. We have been on a number of long hauls and always hate to get off the ship. We much prefer them to shorter, port-intensive ones - but others feel exactly the opposite. Use your 2023 trip to test how you feel.

Frankly, either cruise will be spectacular, so don't stress the decision-making more than it's worth.

Here's a teaser - Bora Bora.  🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.4d4decefdac06f170fc10544dba9e576.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

....Pricing is similar in amount, but of course, HAL is two weeks longer. I believe you'll find Oceania to be more upscale than HAL, but you're paying for it....

Perhaps cabin “pricing” on HAL is less expensive than on O. But savvy cruisers always look at comparing the bottom line “net daily cost” of all required and optionally desired expenses.
Make THAT comparison and you’ll find the real value of an O cruise which includes airfare (or an air credit), unlimited internet and all non-alcoholic beverages as well as no cost specialty restaurants and a choice of a cruise amenity from booze, excursions or SBC. Get a few O cruises under your belt and then add gratuities coverage, increasing levels of SBC, spa credits, air deviation fee waivers and even the occasional complimentary 2 week cruise anywhere O travels.

And that’s before the better O food/service/amenities/et al. are considered. 

I have never cruised on HAL so I can't speak to the quality of that experience. I have taken a 32 day cruise from Sydney to Papeete and a shorter 12 day cruise that was dedicated to French Polynesia and the Marquesas. Both trips were on the larger Marina. I could have stayed on the ship for another month. We never got bored. However, we also never had more than 2 sea days in a row. Some people love to sail just for sea days but I am not one of them. Both the itineraries have a LOT of sea days so if that is something you enjoy than I would chose the more appealing itinerary. Both also have lots of tendering which is not expedient on a larger ship. Oceania "R" ships only have about 650 people versus 2600. But with all those sea days there may be more to do on the larger HAL ship.

Papeete isn't that great. I would suggest you hop on the ferry which is right at the cruise port and stay in Moorea which is just beautiful. If you really want to see Tahiti than rent a car and drive all around the island and Tahiti Iti. 

You might want to explore expenses beyond the base cost of the cruise. Alcoholic drinks on Oceania are not cheap nor are their excursions. We have always arranged on own.

Both cruises look wonderful. Enjoy.

11 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

....You might want to explore expenses beyond the base cost of the cruise. Alcoholic drinks on Oceania are not cheap nor are their excursions.....

Excursions on O need not be too expensive. Select the O Life excursions option and you can double it’s value by choosing the allowable $199 ones that interest you. Add to that enough paid excursions to make the total number of tours meet the minimum YWYW requirement on your cruise and the paid ones will get a 25% discount. Together, you may find the cost comparable to DIY.
Perhaps more importantly in this age of Covid uncertainty related to itinerary changes, the convenience of O’s Destination Services handling all arrangements, changes, refunds, etc. can be priceless.

Of course, on Bora Bora, nothing beats the private tours offered by Patrick and his Maohe Nui outfit.

4937FB90-00B3-4F34-A010-E4389FB714AB.jpeg

I have been on HAL a couple of times, I am interested in Oceania.  I recommend comparing as many things as possible:

Cabin Size

Room Service

dining arrangement

laundry arrangements - self serv laundromats and valet service

Specialty restaurants

Ports called on and time in port

Number of sea days

Compare for both costs and if you like what the ship offers in each category.

We have never sailed HAL but have some friends that have and we’re ardent Princess cruisers.  When people graduate to the smaller ships rather than 2000-3000+ AND look for value, it is an easier decision to step up to Oceania. 
We have a friend who traveled with us about 5 years ago to the Med and Holy Land on Marina and absolutely loved the experience.  Since that time they went back to discount cruising with the multitudes so they could say they had been on a cruise again.  Came home and said, “It was OK, but was not Marina”. They also took the same 35 day HAL trip being discussed and said it was OK/Good but Not Oceania. They are now joining us in January on a South America, BA to Santiago cruise on Marina and are JAZZED to be back on Oceania. 

IMHO, I would take 21 days on Regatta with 600+ guests than a HAL cruise with thousands for 35 days.  Some similar port calls but it still is not the same. You throw in 5 Pacific Ocean sea days to and from Hawaii and the weather you can encounter just does not make the cruises even near comparable.  I use one word, VALUE and they are not in the same league. We have spent hundreds of days on the smaller R Class ships and would not trade them for the bigger HAL ships. Hundreds more on Marina and Riviera so there is no chance you would ever get us on HAL. 
To take a line from Nike, “Just Do It”. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

Bottom line. It comes down to ports. I have sailed  HAL and would do so again, but only for the itinerary.  Also, I would chose the itinerary that starts in Australia and ends in Tahiti.   Hawaii is not something to be visited from a cruise ship.

We sailed to French Polynesian with Oceania on Marina. Didn’t enjoy all of Patrick’s tour- namely the food. Bora Bora is quite commercial and in our opinion overrated. Moorea was a lot better. Quick ferry from Papeete to Moorea - many people stayed for a few days after the cruise. 
Loved Oceania but never sailed HAL. 

6 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I have been on HAL a couple of times, I am interested in Oceania.  I recommend comparing as many things as possible:

Cabin Size

Room Service

dining arrangement

laundry arrangements - self serv laundromats and valet service

Specialty restaurants

Ports called on and time in port

Number of sea days

Compare for both costs and if you like what the ship offers in each category.

Don't forget quality of food, the comfort of the beds on Oceania, and an item that you just can't measure on a spreadsheet. That would be the intrinsic value of being on a smaller Oceania ship and the overall experience of Oceania. It's not for everyone. There are those that still prefer the action and size of the Mass Market ships. I've met people that keep wanting what they have on those lines, and much of it doesn't exist on Oceania, and that's quite otay with me. 

Also, for those that plan on multiple sailings with Oceania their loyalty program is hard to beat. 

A lot of good advice.   It pretty much all agrees with what I was thinking.   Only difference is I think 3 nights on Tahiti will be nice.   Yes it may be commercial but I think we can take a nice Jeep Mountain Tour and see the country side.   Then I am guessing a better place for shopping, gifts and the like.   I have time to investigate.  

I checked a flight for general schedule and it arrives early morning.  I think I want to get to hotel and go to bed.  Get on the time zone.  

Thanks to all for your thoughts

Dave

Lets try and put it all in perspective.  Many of us who love cruising (and sea days) would give a lot of extra points to the HAL cruise because you would be getting 14 more days on a ship (what can be bad about that?).   

So lets talk about the two ships.  With HAL you are getting one of the newer (and larger) HAL vessels which arguably has multiple entertainment options (although no Production Shows).  With the Regatta you are getting a smaller (and older) "Renaissance" ship that has undergone major renovations but still has primarily smaller cabins (and small bathrooms) which were part of the original design of all the "R" ships.

So what do you get with "O?"  Most cruisers would make the case that "O" will get you much better cuisine (in both the MDR and alternative restaurants) than on HAL.  So the choice would really depend on your personal priorities.  Longer cruise on a bigger ship with so-so cuisine vs shorter cruise on a smaller ship with better than average cuisine.

Hank

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lets try and put it all in perspective.  Many of us who love cruising (and sea days) would give a lot of extra points to the HAL cruise because you would be getting 14 more days on a ship (what can be bad about that?).   

So lets talk about the two ships.  With HAL you are getting one of the newer (and larger) HAL vessels which arguably has multiple entertainment options (although no Production Shows).  With the Regatta you are getting a smaller (and older) "Renaissance" ship that has undergone major renovations but still has primarily smaller cabins (and small bathrooms) which were part of the original design of all the "R" ships.

So what do you get with "O?"  Most cruisers would make the case that "O" will get you much better cuisine (in both the MDR and alternative restaurants) than on HAL.  So the choice would really depend on your personal priorities.  Longer cruise on a bigger ship with so-so cuisine vs shorter cruise on a smaller ship with better than average cuisine.

Hank

It’s not just the cuisine, which on a cruise of several weeks duration, would be a very significant (perhaps the most important) onboard factor.

It’s also things like space and crew to passenger ratios and the quality of service - as well as the aforementioned inclusiveness of necessary and optional items (e.g., an air credit for a transoceanic flight is no small item). 

As for the ships: newer does not mean better. And, in any case, Regatta recently received the multi-million dollar Oceania NEXT interior makeover (decoration/electronics/etc) given to all the R ships. FWIW: even Sirena, which only several years ago received a $40 million makeover to bring the former Ocean Princess up to O standards, had that work done. From the hotel side perspective, these are “new” ships with very high quality materials throughout.

And I’ll never understand some folks’ love for cabin size. It’s a ship and even the smallest cabins are larger than those familiar to us yacht sailors. 

Entertainment? Let’s not forget that O now uses the same talent management as NCL. So, with the exception of major production shows, it’s the same performers. IMO: Want a Broadway show? Go to Broadway.

I’m not saying that OP shouldn’t try HAL. Rather I am saying that comparing a mass market ship’s onboard experience to that of a premium or luxury line is a useless endeavor. Even the mass market lines recognize this - so much so that they’ve created ship-within-a-ship concepts to make up for their shortcomings (and then charge prices that are usually more expensive than the real thing).

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s not just the cuisine, which on a cruise of several weeks duration, would be a very significant (perhaps the most important) onboard factor.

It’s also things like space and crew to passenger ratios and the quality of service - as well as the aforementioned inclusiveness of necessary and optional items (e.g., an air credit for a transoceanic flight is no small item). 

As for the ships: newer does not mean better. And, in any case, Regatta recently received the multi-million dollar Oceania NEXT interior makeover (decoration/electronics/etc) given to all the R ships. FWIW: even Sirena, which only several years ago received a $40 million makeover to bring the former Ocean Princess up to O standards, had that work done. From the hotel side perspective, these are “new” ships with very high quality materials throughout.

And I’ll never understand some folks’ love for cabin size. It’s a ship and even the smallest cabins are larger than those familiar to us yacht sailors. 

Entertainment? Let’s not forget that O now uses the same talent management as NCL. So, with the exception of major production shows, it’s the same performers. IMO: Want a Broadway show? Go to Broadway.

I’m not saying that OP shouldn’t try HAL. Rather I am saying that comparing a mass market ship’s onboard experience to that of a premium or luxury line is a useless endeavor. Even the mass market lines recognize this - so much so that they’ve created ship-within-a-ship concepts to make up for their shortcomings (and then charge prices that are usually more expensive than the real thing).

We can agree to disagree on a few of your points.  I would not consider the old "R" ships a "Premium" product since their space ratios (about 44) is not much different than many of the higher-end mass market ships.  And the cabin sizes (and bathrooms) are far from what I would expect on what you call a Premium product.   Now if you want to compare HAL to a real luxury line (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Sea Dream, etc) than I would be in agreement that HAL is not even in the same ballpark as those lines in terms of luxury and quality.  But HAL also does not charge Luxury prices (except in their largest suites).  Another plus for HAL is that, like all the CCL products, HAL does offer significant discounts on International Business/First Class.

I have often been critical of HAL entertainment because of their elimination of "Production Shows" and the reduction in live bands.  That being said, the newer ships do offer multiple entertainment options with their Lincoln Center, BB King/Rolling Stone concept, Dueling Pianos, etc.  Personally I prefer just about any other mass market line over HAL when it comes to entertainment, but "O" is even more limited (especially on the "R" ships).  (We are still looking for the right opportunity to try one of "Os" new ships).

As to your reference to "ship within a ship"  (an option I do like) it does not really exist on HAL.  Yes, they try to mimic "ship within a ship" with some of their large suite amenities, but that is not even close to the "ship within a ship" concept we have on lines like Cunard, MSC, NCL, and the newer ships of Celebrity.  So this is not even an issue when comparing HAL to "O."

Hank

17 hours ago, DAF7065 said:

A lot of good advice.   It pretty much all agrees with what I was thinking.   Only difference is I think 3 nights on Tahiti will be nice.   Yes it may be commercial but I think we can take a nice Jeep Mountain Tour and see the country side.   Then I am guessing a better place for shopping, gifts and the like.   I have time to investigate.  

I checked a flight for general schedule and it arrives early morning.  I think I want to get to hotel and go to bed.  Get on the time zone.  

Thanks to all for your thoughts

Dave

In 2016, we visited Tetiaroa (Marlon Brando's former Tahitian island that he owned), it was quite interesting and enjoyable.  When you are in Bora-Bora, I would get a few couples and chartered a pontoon boat and just sailed around the island of Bora-Bora - you will see how beautiful Bora-Bora really is and you will be able to visit the north part of the atoll where all those over-the-water hotels are.   

We have been on both HAL and Oceania. We will actually sail on Regatta in April for a French Polynesia cruise. We were scheduled for the longer HAL cruise in March 2020 on a ship smaller than the Koningsdam but it was canceled. In my opinion the beds are very similar and I am not a foodie and have had good experiences on HAL. If you like sodas and specialized coffee than Oceania offers these at no extra cost. We always seem to get more shipboard credits when choosing HAL. So I shop around and until I find  my desired itinerary. We have stayed on Moorea and you can jump on a fast ferry from Papeete so it is an option rather than stay multiple days in Tahiti. 

Edited by madera1

I would go with Oceania anytime over HAL.  Having sailed both many times there is no comparison in cuisine and service.  HAL ships are way too big for me.  The dining  venues that are alternatives are good but cost extra. Nothing compares to the included alternates on Oceania.

• Like 1

If itinerary is important along with maximizing the FP experience, I recommend considering Paul Gauguin. PG makes French Polynesian feel, taste, and seem like French Polynesia. Oceania is a great product, but it comes nowhere near developing the sense of place that PG does. It depends upon what’s important to you. Are you going to FP to eat in an Americanized Italian restaurant ( which is good) and worry about sheet thread count; or are you going to more throughly experience FP?

I was on the Koningsdam in 2019, pre-covid.  My husband and I were in a Neptune suite, spacious and beautiful.  We had access to the Neptune lounge with drinks and snacks from early morning until about 8:00 PM.  We could take breakfast in a specialty restaurant, and had dinner in the “orange” restaurant.  There we could watch the chef and assistants make our meals that were fresh and excellent.  We enjoyed the variety of entertainments, and saw a dance spectacular — mainly ballet — that was the best we have seen anywhere.  Yes!  The ship was the largest we have been on, but lots of space for everyone, not only the suite passengers.

I think that the itinerary is most important.  And, of course,  Oceania will give you a suite experience without the extra costs as on Hal.  

Of course, if OP wants the true FP experience, there’s always a crewed yacht charter, which is not as expensive as most folks think.

Contact a reputable Yacht Charter broker like Ed Hamilton & Co. They will spend a great deal of time on best understanding your preferences/expectations/desires including the profiles of the essential crew as well as customized provisioning, itineraries and activities. Not unlike cruise ships, there’s also a wide variety of price points from basic to luxury and all of the above are assembled as a result of your broker communications at the outset and skipper communications once you’ve chosen your ride.

BTW: IMO, it’s the best way to experience many other island destinations (particularly the BVIs) without being bombarded by cruise ship throngs of passengers.

• Like 1