Carnival drops hairy chest game ,will others follow PLEASE. What else should go.

dolittle

So the hairy chest and belly flop contest are out . I hope other lines will follow and get rid of these classless and played out antics on all lines. I do wonder if they are trying to class up there rep. after it has taken a beating over some of the classless people getting in brawls at 5:00 in the morning. What else should go on cruise lines things that are classless or just played out. Mine and this is very big on Carnival is dancing waiters, played out most do not like it and some like it too much . 

Edited by dolittle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dolittle said:

I hope other lines will follow

What are the other lines which should follow?  I haven’t seen any of the “classless and played out antics” on Cunard, HAL, or Princess.  Maybe you should try those lines.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, dolittle said:

So the hairy chest and belly flop contest are out . I hope other lines will follow and get rid of these classless and played out antics on all lines. 

All lines?  I'm very confused by your post.  I haven't seen any of those games on any of my cruises in the past several years.  Sounds like you should consider something other than Carnival.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

What are the other lines which should follow?  I haven’t seen any of the “classless and played out antics” on Cunard, HAL, or Princess.  Maybe you should try those lines.

Thanks. Been on X many times.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My, my, what is a person of such high class doing on a Carnival cruise?  Surely the ship is large enough for you to avoid the antics of which you disapprove.  As long as these people are not parading through the MDR at high noon in their skivvies, the activities sound like great fun to me ... as long as I can be elsewhere.  If a ship or a cruise line drops an activity, it's generally from lack of participation.   

Sadly(to me) these antics are very popular . 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My, my, what is a person of such high class doing on a Carnival cruise?  Surely the ship is large enough for you to avoid the antics of which you disapprove.  As long as these people are not parading through the MDR at high noon in their skivvies, the activities sound like great fun to me ... as long as I can be elsewhere.  If a ship or a cruise line drops an activity, it's generally from lack of participation.   

Not sure if I am classy or not I do try (it is all we can do). We choose cruises by ports and sometime Carnival is the right line for what we want. Have met many great people on board and think they have a lot to offer ,I am glad they are classing up the product by getting rid of this nonsense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dolittle said:

So the hairy chest and belly flop contest are out . I hope other lines will follow and get rid of these classless and played out antics on all lines.

2 hours ago, dolittle said:

Thanks. Been on X many times.

What classless antics did you see on Celebrity? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Formal nights.

12 hours ago, dolittle said:

Not sure if I am classy or not I do try (it is all we can do). We choose cruises by ports and sometime Carnival is the right line for what we want. Have met many great people on board and think they have a lot to offer ,I am glad they are classing up the product by getting rid of this nonsense.

I wish they'd do more classing up. A good start would be screening potential passengers to ensure they are the right kind of people and not hideous members of lower social orders. Hairy chests, tattoos, buck teeth and men named Billy Ray would be immediately dismissed with a wave of the hand. Those of us with class and breeding should not be expected to endure a cruise with the likes of them. 

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, dolittle said:

So the hairy chest and belly flop contest are out . I hope other lines will follow and get rid of these classless and played out antics on all lines. I do wonder if they are trying to class up there rep. after it has taken a beating over some of the classless people getting in brawls at 5:00 in the morning. What else should go on cruise lines things that are classless or just played out. Mine and this is very big on Carnival is dancing waiters, played out most do not like it and some like it too much . 

What is your source for saying they are out? I know that they were paused during the return from the pandemic but I've seen nothing to suggest that they are permanently gone from a CD's repertoire. I find these events easy enough to avoid, that way I can do what I want and if someone wants to be "classless" than they can be.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

I wish they'd do more classing up. A good start would be screening potential passengers to ensure they are the right kind of people and not hideous members of lower social orders

Please tell me this is just a lame joke and not something you are serious about.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dolittle said:

Sadly(to me) these antics are very popular . 

Perhaps they are popular on shorter Carnival cruises but we have not seen antics like that on the other 16 cruise lines upon which we have cruised.  Things like hairy chest and leg contests have long been a fixture on Carnival which has never been a line to claim any kind of moniker.  You go on Carnival and you can expect silly games and too many silly (drunk) passengers.  If you have an issue with that stuff you might want to expand your horizons and move on to some other lines.

Hank

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

What is your source for saying they are out? I know that they were paused during the return from the pandemic but I've seen nothing to suggest that they are permanently gone from a CD's repertoire. I find these events easy enough to avoid, that way I can do what I want and if someone wants to be "classless" than they can be.  

It is from La Vid Loco channel Tony almost always gets it right.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I disagree.  What would help would be the enforcing of dress codes that currently exist.  

I tend to agree -- an environment where everyone is free to do whatever the hell he pleases tends to lower the lowest common denominator.  You do not need tuxedos and neckties - but with absolutely no rules the barbarians take over.

• Like 5

So the question is would you rather put up with the occasional parade of hairy chests or endure being surrounded by those demanding a more "classy" environment and dismissing anyone not dressed to their satisfaction as "barbarians" who "lower the lowest common denominator." 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, K32682 said:

So the question is would you rather put up with the occasional parade of hairy chests or endure being surrounded by those demanding a more "classy" environment and dismissing anyone not dressed to their satisfaction as "barbarians" who "lower the lowest common denominator." 

That is not the only way to put the question.

Why not put it the other way:  choose between putting up with  the occasional fellow passenger who prefers to change out of his sports clothes for dinner, and having to endure being surrounded by endless parades of shlubs?

• Like 1

I am curious as to why this went away. During these times, it seems that most things removed are to save costs. I don't know if something like this was that costly. I wonder if it is an attempt to "clean up" the environment. I have my doubts that other entertainment will replace it. 

These silly games often brought a smile to tons of people's face. On paper, it doesn't sound great. Even in person, it isn't always perfect. It is not as bad as the pearl clutchers on the internet made it sound. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

So true!  I drive my cruise TA nuts because we have no interest in booking any kind of 'Queens Grill' or 'Haven' or whatever cabins is 'special areas'.  We'd enjoy the luxury, but not our fellow pax gazing around and sniffing at the rest of the hairy horde on 'their' ship. 

Edited by jsn55
clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

That is not the only way to put the question.

Why not put it the other way:  choose between putting up with  the occasional fellow passenger who prefers to change out of his sports clothes for dinner, and having to endure being surrounded by endless parades of shlubs?

". . being surrounded by endless parades of shlubs?"

Have you actually encountered this?  I've been on a lot of cruises & cruise lines from the 4 day parties to whatever.  Individual malfeasance, sure.   But I've never experienced what you say.  I can only assume you are trying to get a rise out of someone?     

What I truly do not understand is how people let how others dress influence their attitude so much.  A baseball cap in the MDR is not worthy of going into a purple tizzy.  Guy wearing a plaid sports coat on formal night isn't worth jumping overboard.    Individuals are in complete control of their anger.  Why focus it on something so meaningless is beyond me.   Cruise ships seem to have a fair amount of folk who like to be upset about something.   I would say to my fellow seniors, things are not the way they used to be and being a constant whiner is not a good look.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 4

No one is (not me anyway) jumping overboard or going into any color tizzy's. I do think the reason they stooped pool games is it leads to other boorish behavior .  B.T.W . I doubt anyone objects to a plaid sport coat I think they look pretty good.

• Like 2

We don't like those games, so we don't participate and avoid being around when they are played. Other people like them and they do participate. I don't think I'm "higher class", those games just don't appeal to me.

Since there are announcements as to when the games are played, I can avoid them and let the people who enjoy them have at it.

• Like 6