MDR menu in Blu

RickT

We are considering Aqua class for our next cruise.  My understanding is that the MDR menu is also available (S-Class in case that makes a difference).

- Is it correct that the MDR menu is available in Blu?

- If so, does it slow down the meal or otherwise disrupt service?

Always wanted to tru Blu but upon looking at their menus I suspect a few nights we’d choose MDR items. 
Thanks in advance for your answers. 

Because the blu kitchen is close to the main dining room kitchen on the S class ships you should be able to order from the MDR menu. This doesn’t work on the e class ships because the kitchens are too far apart.  Expect it to slow down service somewhat.

Edited by WestLakeGirl

9 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Because the blu kitchen is close to the main dining room kitchen on the S class ships you should be able to order from the MDR menu. This doesn’t work on the e class ships because the kitchens are too far apart.  Expect it to slow down service somewhat.

The Blu kitchen is close to the MDR kitchen on the M-Class.  On the S-Class, it is not close to the MDR.  Blu is on Deck 5 where MDR on Deck 3 & 4.

• Like 1

On occasion you may be able to order from the MDR menu but in our experience it is not an option, particularly if AQ is full.  The Blu kitchen is next to Blu on S Class (deck 5 aft) while the MDR is on deck 2 mid ship so quite a long way for a waiter to go to get a order.

Blu does however have some items that are not always on the menu,  Cesar salad,  shrimp cocktail, Onion Soup, baked & mashed potatoes and French fries come to mind.  Possibly escargot too. 

We did Aqua stateroom on a Bidup on Millennium last month as we wanted to try Blu.

We were not impressed with the Menu and mostly ordered from the MDR menu.

Also, we found that Blu was cramped and noisy so we would not bother spending the extra money again for Aqua over a normal veranda stateroom.

5 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Also, we found that Blu was cramped and noisy so we would not bother spending the extra money again for Aqua over a normal veranda stateroom.

Hmmmm. Say more about what you didn’t like about the Blu menu. I have a move up bid for a summit sailing and now I’m second guessing. 

7 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

Hmmmm. Say more about what you didn’t like about the Blu menu. I have a move up bid for a summit sailing and now I’m second guessing. 

You can see the menus on the app.

My experience:  on the Equinox (S-class) we were able to order the MDR in Blu.  I had always heard mixed things. Some said yes, some said no.  The first night we asked, and our waiter said yes, we could order from the MDR Menu.   Every night,  same table and servers, they would bring us the Blu menu and the MDR Menu when seated.  The waiter would go over items from each menu each night that he recommended.   Service was not slow, quicker then the MDR but not rushed, and Blu was full.  

We were happy we were able to order from both, if we needed to. 

We had a great experience. 

🍹

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, D. B. said:

We did Aqua stateroom on a Bidup on Millennium last month as we wanted to try Blu.

Personally, I really enjoyed the food in Blu and would definitely book Aqua again (if it was in the budget).  Just goes to show you, everyone has different tastes when it comes to food.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

I was on Summit in May and ate in Blu. I looked at menus in the app when I would mix and match ordering from Blu and main dining room. No problem and service was great. I like the smaller dining area in Blu and it is quieter and more attentive service. However I only book Aqua if I can get one of the aft Aqua cabins on deck 11 or if Aqua was only a couple hundred more than regular balconies.

Laura

Blu does have somewhat of a twist to it.  It isn't weird but they do some fun things.   We like it and the actual room itself as it is more intimate than the MDR.

If you are a "I know what I like and only eat that" then I would not spend the extra money on AQ and stay in a regular cabin. 

10 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

We just got off Summit last month.  There were a couple of night where I didn't find anything I wanted for a main course.  My wife noticed on the kids menu they had a 4oz filet, so I ordered that.  It was really good.  

On Millenium we found Blu was jammed and the tables were so close to each other that all the conversations overlapped, and some people were always trying to talk Louder than those next to them.

I had to request one night to move to a different table because guests who probably had too much Pre Dinner bar time were hard to tolerate.

22 hours ago, RickT said:

We are considering Aqua class for our next cruise.  My understanding is that the MDR menu is also available (S-Class in case that makes a difference).

- Is it correct that the MDR menu is available in Blu?

- If so, does it slow down the meal or otherwise disrupt service?

Always wanted to tru Blu but upon looking at their menus I suspect a few nights we’d choose MDR items. 
Thanks in advance for your answers. 

We mostly cruise in S-class.  On most of the ships, you were NOT able to order from the MDR menu.  The reason was the distance between kitchens and also the staffing issues.  The maitre d' also has a say in the policy.  We check out the menus and if we want to eat elsewhere, staff will assist in making arrangements.  

I've never had a problem ordering off the MDR menu on M or S class except for one time. My waiter  said we couldn't. We didn't put up a fuss and found something to order.

The next night with a different waiter, it was no problem.

The bottom line is it depends - on the ship, on the maitre d', on the capacity of the ship.  Most likely will allow on M class as opposed to the other two classes.

We personally enjoy just about all of the Blu menu and specifically book AQ for Blu unless we can afford the suite price.  In addition to the dinner, we like eating our breakfast there - much nicer than the buffet for sure, and usually better service than the MDR.  The "classics" such as chicken, salmon, strip steak, caesar salad and others are always available.  Unfortunately the waiters don't always advise people of this so if in doubt ask.  I suggest looking at the menu a day or two ahead and if you can't find anything you like ask the waiter if you can order from the MDR that day.  Even if they don't commonly do it with advance notice they might.

Do keep in mind that on some ships the kitchens are not close together so if you are asking last minute you are taking the waiter's time away from waiting on other guests.  If you are on one of those ships to be considerate it's nice to plan ahead or only do it if the dining room is not busy.

I usually sail in Aqua class and love dining in Blu.  That said, I usually order from the MDR menu.  Have done so on all 3 classes of ships.  

I look at the menus in the app before dinner, so I can order without the waiter having to bring multiple menus. 

We’ve sailed Aqua Class for the majority of our cruises and only once have we ordered from the MDR menu. It was on the Apex in March of this year. Our waiter mentioned on the first night that if we didn’t see anything we liked, he would give us a menu from the MDR. Several nights into our cruise, my husband mentioned to our waiter that he really had a taste for fish. He immediately told my husband that there was a wonderful halibut being served that night in the Normandy (I think). He ordered it for him and he loved it. No disruption to the amazing service we’ve always had. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...