Extra OBC

Vampiress88

34 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hmm...bit of a puzzle is this, I'm usually a bit wary when they are generous without needing to be!

1) It's clearly not linked to loyalty status, about why you get the OBC.

2) It doesn't appear to be linked to date.

3) It doesn't appear to be definitively linked to when you booked (we have had OBC based on booking either at, or close to launch).

4) It doesn't appear to be linked to the length of the sailing directly.

5) It doesn't appear to be goodwill "compensation" for reduced facilities on board.

So, I favour it being linked to the strength of sales for the cruise, and the company seeking to keep the "boarding" price quite similar. 

Also, then enticing more people on with extra OBC, but not to go so far that enough passengers look and work out that it is worth losing their (typically) 5% deposits by cancelling and rebooking, or using the "switch and upgrade" feature on their select price booking.

The interesting point is, for passengers now with substantial OBC, are they creating a type of "all inclusive" cruise by the back door, as you can essentially get a reduced price drinks/wine package using "their" money?  They must think that how much people will spend of their own money will either be the same or is going to increase as a result.

Or perhaps this is a cruise critic feature and they are wanting some better reviews 😂

I had simply assumed it was to try and minimise the number of people who decided not to pay the final balance and move the cruise further out, since all these £150 giveaways seem to be about 3 months prior to sailing.

9 hours ago, rumbalizw said:

I did think that , although, I've a friend who is on another ship who also booked on launch at a great price and got OBC awarded a few weeks back . So its not consistent

I agree, would be a whole lot better if they gave reasons.  We have had it (£200) for an Aurora 28 night Caribbean in November.  That was also booked on launch, but prices were nothing like as cheap as our October one which worked out at £81pppn for an HB grade balcony cabin, from Manchester, at launch, so perhaps not that easy to feel bad about it.  Most Azura cruisers going this autumn seem to have had the extra though.

Our price has changed a bit since as we have made it into a b2b, going out 29th September and also upgraded to a deck C HA cabin, though still calculated at launch prices.

Apart from them not saying why some people are/are not getting the extra OBC it is being applied on a cruise by cruise basis, which is extremely confusing.

Edited by tring

59 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had simply assumed it was to try and minimise the number of people who decided not to pay the final balance and move the cruise further out, since all these £150 giveaways seem to be about 3 months prior to sailing.

I think that is a valid point, though our extra £200 for the Aurora Caribbean was  added after we had paid the final balance.

With our Azura one at £81pppn for an HB grade balcony from Manchester, they could likely have still re sold it at the same price now, as those slightly longer, translocation, cruises were sold at very low prices, sold out quickly, and I have not seen them on sale since then.  Or they may be able to resell them for better prices as shorter cruises (e.g. 7 night + 9 nights).

Edited by tring

We have received the extra OBC for our November cruise on Ventura but nothing for our cruise on 6th October on Arcadia to see the Northern Lights. Has anyone else had extra OBC for this cruise?

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

we had it about a week before final balance so I assumed the same as you

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's what I assumed as well.

3 hours ago, tring said:

I think that is a valid point, though our extra £200 for the Aurora Caribbean was  added after we had paid the final balance.

With our Azura one at £81pppn for an HB grade balcony from Manchester, they could likely have still re sold it at the same price now, as those slightly longer, translocation, cruises were sold at very low prices, sold out quickly, and I have not seen them on sale since then.  Or they may be able to resell them for better prices as shorter cruises (e.g. 7 night + 9 nights).

If you paid your balance before others on same cruise did they would presumably give it to everyone on the cruise whether paid balance or not. Our TA only wants the balance a week before those booking direct have to pay but I know some TAs ask for it a month or more earlier.

My family are sailing Aurora Norway 9 December.  They are on early saver inside fare and were notified on 18 August they were getting the £150 per cabin.

We sail Britannia Caribbean balcony select fare 16 December and were notified the same day for the same amount.

10 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Also, then enticing more people on with extra OBC, but not to go so far that enough passengers look and work out that it is worth losing their (typically) 5% deposits by cancelling and rebooking, or using the "switch and upgrade" feature on their select price booking.

Hi

I'm curious, what do you mean by "switch and upgrade"?

On 8/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, Mad4WDW said:

Hi

I'm curious, what do you mean by "switch and upgrade"?

From the P&O Booking Conditions:

P&O Cruises will allow the transfer without treating it as a cancellation if the P&O Cruises holiday to which the transfer is to be made departs within 12 months (within 6 months in the case of transfer from a World Cruise, Classic Southern Hemisphere Journey, Grand Tour or Exotic Fly-cruise) of the original and is for a higher price.

Agreement to transfer a Package would also be conditional upon such a request being made more than 90 days before the original scheduled departure date; there being availability; and to payment of any expenses (such as airline and/or hotel charges) incurred by P&O Cruises as a result. Such a transfer would only be allowed on one occasion. The criteria for allowing transfers may be changed by P&O Cruises at any time without notice.

Guests who have booked an Early Saver or a Saver shall not be entitled to transfer to another Package and the provisions of this clause 15 shall not apply.

In terms of relevance to people who have booked a Select Fare - the following scenario could occur:

1) Cruise booked in March next year - let's say £1,000 each for two people sharing an inside cabin, total £2,000.  Customer pays £100 deposit (5%) and let's say has £100 OBC.

2) P&O then introduce an offer reducing the price of a very similar cruise (let's say same ship, the itinerary before or after the one booked) now £800 each.  They are also now offering £200 of OBC for an inside cabin, and even more OBC for a higher grade, including outsides, balconies and suites.  In this example, let's say that the price of the balcony cabin on this new cruise is £1050 pp.

3) The customer can't directly switch to the second cruise without losing their £100 - which some people may choose to, if the overall deal is better, which it would be in this scenario.  They also can't change their cabin on their current cruise, if the price has fallen, as they have to pay the relevant price when they booked.  

4) However, if the customer has booked a Select Fare and moves their booking before the balance due date, they could "switch and upgrade" their booking to the balcony cabin, for the new cruise; transfer their £100 deposit (and pay slightly more to make it 5 or 15%); and get more OBC.  In this scenario, the conditions are met.  The extra £100 paid in this scenario for the balcony cabin would be less than the extra OBC gained, so the customer would benefit from "switching and upgrading."

Some people won't want the hassle or want to check prices after they book, all fair enough.  However, if the deal is good, and the conditions are right then it can make sense to move bookings, particularly considering that on the new cruise you retain choice of cabin and dining.  This assumes you don't very particularly want a cabin number which may have gone by the time you come to switching bookings.  Hope this helps and sorry for the long-winded answer!

• Like 1

We got the extra OBC for our November Iona cruise (G238) as well.  Notified a couple of weeks ago, balance due this weekend.

Had as quick look at current prices.  The price for our grade has gone up by about £200pp, with only £60pp OBC.  When we booked we got £240pp (inc extra for BLC).

Extra OBC???

If anyone has a BLC.....Blue Light Card. Available to anyone who has been in the NHS, fire brigade, Ambulance, Armed Forces etc. Also the other card ....  Defence Card.

Phone up P&O and give your booking refs of your cruises. We got and extra £150 OBC on 2 of our cruises...not to be sniffed at.

28 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Extra OBC???

If anyone has a BLC.....Blue Light Card. Available to anyone who has been in the NHS, fire brigade, Ambulance, Armed Forces etc. Also the other card ....  Defence Card.

Phone up P&O and give your booking refs of your cruises. We got and extra £150 OBC on 2 of our cruises...not to be sniffed at.

That is only for cruises booked direct with P&O and not those through a TA.

1 hour ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Extra OBC???

I have a new blue light card, (which I had not previously realised I was eligible for), but I understand you can only use it for OBC if claimed when booking.  The defence card is different and it is possible to claim the OBC at a later date, not only when a booking is made.  Hence, from what you say, I assume you have a defence card.

14 minutes ago, tring said:

I have a new blue light card, (which I had not previously realised I was eligible for), but I understand you can only use it for OBC if claimed when booking.  The defence card is different and it is possible to claim the OBC at a later date, not only when a booking is made.  Hence, from what you say, I assume you have a defence card.

We have just claimed yesterday. One of the cruises we had already paid the balance. The other one is for January and that was purchased over a year ago. Just gave the guy both card numbers and told us which cruises they worked on. We have 4 booked, but only worked on 2, so still worth a go...

23 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

We have just claimed yesterday. One of the cruises we had already paid the balance. The other one is for January and that was purchased over a year ago. Just gave the guy both card numbers and told us which cruises they worked on. We have 4 booked, but only worked on 2, so still worth a go...

I have tried in the past with a BLC and have been told you only get the OBC if you ask at time of booking and not later and you have to book direct with P&O and not through a TA. OBC with a Defence card might be different T&C's.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, bobstheboy said:

14th January.  Good luck.

Ooh, we are on that cruise too but I havent heard anything. Did you say you booked through a TA? We booked direct so may (try to) give them a call if we dont hear anything by balance payment date. Have you paid your balance yet??

42 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

Ooh, we are on that cruise too but I havent heard anything. Did you say you booked through a TA? We booked direct so may (try to) give them a call if we dont hear anything by balance payment date. Have you paid your balance yet??

Booked through a TA. Haven't paid balance. 

10 hours ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Thanks. Can I assume you do have a blc then, rather than a defence card?  Sounds like P&O making a mistake regards their own rules, but we have come across that before.  Will ring next week and give it a try on a couple of cruises which we have booked direct 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 1