The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 7th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Friendship Day, International Forgiveness Day, and National Lighthouse Day

Being a woman is a terribly difficult trade since it consists principally of dealings with men.--Joseph Conrad, Chance

Meal Suggestion for today - salmon with spinach
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Doña Paula 2018 Estate Black Edition Red (Luján
Destination of the Day - Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/08

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Red Bay NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 - 14:00

Rotterdam

Rejkjavik, Iceland 08:00 -

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination St Anthony NL, Canada eta 08/08

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0807World.thumb.png.5fea1d150dfe31d0c26c08846c909206.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We've got a heat warning, so we won't be doing anything strenuous outside today.

Hello to all my friends on HAL.  I wish I could forgive and forget, but sometimes I can't.  Lighthouses are great.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds great, hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good afternoon.

It is currently 66°F and sunny in our back garden.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

We have a number of lighthouses around the rugged coast of the UK.

A true friend is priceless.

It is always best to forgive although sadly somethings are unforgivable.

A very true quote today.

Salmon sounds great.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

Prayers also for our friends in Israel and Ukraine.

Congratulations to all who are currently or soon to be cruising.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe day.

Graham.

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It was barely light when Bindi and I went out this morning. But it was a lovely walk. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! My friend and I successfully installed VeriFLY on her phone, completed her registration & uploaded her vaccination records. We even installed the NAVICA app needed for the proctored test. We earned our wine. Off to the gym. Then grocery shopping. And family visits. 

This one got me thinking…. 1918 seems so much further away from 1970.🤔

AE0B42BE-4785-4841-9706-B6A6F34307E1.jpeg.c13b25374fc15b90d53990df6551060e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Doña Paula 2018 Estate Black Edition 
This bold, red blend has a high % of Malbec in it. Very good - excellent ratings from both consumers and critics, and reasonably priced. Several online distributors with prices starting at $12.95.

90 Wine Enthusiast

Aromas of wild brush, black olive, rubber and wild blackberry comprise the nose. This Malbec-led blend feels lively and fresh, with blackberry, cassis and lightly toasted flavors. A steady finish offers no significant changes as it fades with ease.

Let’s see if the vintner’s fact sheet is legible. 
ED283730-1178-49BF-9A12-744B16DC6784.thumb.jpeg.57639c3d330aa32952a0906acad05a1f.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Built in 1875, the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screw-pile lighthouse on the Bay still in its original location, one-and-a-half miles offshore in the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the South River.Susquehanna River meets the Bay.

686B964E-88E9-479F-8986-3DA17E636FB0.thumb.jpeg.0898f7e6b60ebf834fe569108dae541c.jpeg
A National Historic landmark, built in 1875, the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screw-pile lighthouse on the Bay still in its original location, one-and-a-half miles offshore in the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the South River.

1A9AB8CD-B8DF-469D-96B9-8E6639F5EC13.jpeg.a19e515ed56ef0295620fab859ee34d3.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Built in 1875, the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screw-pile lighthouse on the Bay still in its original location, one-and-a-half miles offshore in the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the South River.Susquehanna River meets the Bay.

686B964E-88E9-479F-8986-3DA17E636FB0.thumb.jpeg.0898f7e6b60ebf834fe569108dae541c.jpeg
A National Historic landmark, built in 1875, the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screw-pile lighthouse on the Bay still in its original location, one-and-a-half miles offshore in the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the South River.

1A9AB8CD-B8DF-469D-96B9-8E6639F5EC13.jpeg.a19e515ed56ef0295620fab859ee34d3.jpeg

Thank you Tina.  I did lots of sailing around the Thomas Point Lighthouse when I lived in Annapolis. Brings back wonderful memories. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I edited my post incorrectly…wish I could delete it and start over… need more coffee.  

I have been lucky enough to see many historic lighthouses on the Chesapeake Bay.  Closest to my home is the Concord Point Lighthouse in Havre de Grace.  It is the 2nd oldest in MD built in 1827.    It is located where the Susquehanna River meets the Bay.  F895F02A-B829-415A-AAC6-B1B1FEF009B4.thumb.jpeg.08e8ce3aa523ffd87280182dfc94a6db.jpeg

Info about Thomas Point Lighthouse is correct.  Sorry for the double post.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be another hot one in northeast Ohio today.  We have been promised showers this afternoon, but we've been promised before and gotten nothing.  Not much on the agenda for today, but that is a good thing.  

Today's meal is a great one.  Spinach always reminds me of Popeye.  He did a good job of teaching us kids to eat our spinach to grow big and strong.  

Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that originated in Persia.

It belongs to the amaranth family and is related to beets and quinoa. What’s more, it’s considered very healthy, as it’s loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.

Eating spinach may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, help prevent cancer, and reduce blood pressure levels.

There are many ways to prepare spinach. You can buy it canned or fresh and eat it cooked or raw. It’s delicious either on its own or in other dishes.  You can read more about the nutrative benefits of spinach here:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/spinach

This first one is a simple recipe and looks like how it would be plated on a BHB.  https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/416/pan-roasted-salmon-with-spinach-and-lemon/

646854313_salmonwithspinach1.thumb.jpg.bebd72652efa96e4fa0483ee8980241d.jpg

Here's a one skillet salmon dish that comes together quickly but looks very fancy.  https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/garlic-butter-creamed-spinach-salmon/

934772224_salmonwithspinach2.thumb.jpg.cb1f7593f427a1901dc55935c38ba9dd.jpg

Next up is a Mediterranean style salmon and spinach.  It looks so healthy!  https://juliasalbum.com/pan-seared-salmon-with-spinach/

254118009_salmonwithspinach3.thumb.jpg.8fee4de531db169c3059fce176290790.jpg

This one is for a creamed spinach served with grilled salmon.  https://www.eatwell101.com/grilled-salmon-recipe-with-creamy-spinach

2116024370_salmonwithspinach4.thumb.jpg.50a01f4ed31fc595ce1cac7bc797f5f2.jpg

This last one is one I have made and it is really delicious.  It is low carb for those who are watching their carbs.  In fact, all of these recipes are low carb!   If you're watching the calories you can leave out the cream.   https://cafedelites.com/creamy-garlic-butter-tuscan-salmon/

2085062545_salmonwithspinach6.thumb.jpg.a73a74ad2e4c7722e30a0b17fc1a0691.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Thank you to all who post and special thanks to Rich and Roy.

I have been pretty much AWOL.  Life is getting in the way.  New air conditioning system needed — being put in tomorrow, readying a business building for selling, finally got to NJ to visit DSIL, general caretaking of DH, dentist appts., etc. etc.  Doctor’s appointments this week for both of us.

My cleaning person of over 40 years is retiring.  How dare she — just kidding.  New person is not happy with our cruise travel schedule which means lost income for her.  We’ll see how this works out.

Next cruises for us are in November and December — unless my fingers get itchy and I book something else.  I would love to get back to Canada for a fall trip.

Happy Sunday to all.  Katherine 

• Like 25

Good morning  to all.I have a lot of opinions regarding the quote but better keep them to myself....my feelings on the subject  are not with my immediate  family but  "the world" in general. I will salute lighthouses  and international  friendship and like all the recipes.

My executive  chef would like the Mediterranean  recipe if I can find good salmon.Sundays are not the best days to buy fish but I could pick up frozen fillets. This will be the first time I drive to the store and I only plan a quick trip. 

Today is quite warm. I have asked the teenager to walk the dogs for another week as it is presently  a hard thing to do for me.I enjoy doing it  but think the dogs are better off with him.JV Football practice  starts this week and we are nervous about the hot and humid days.I remember  worrying  about this with my own son a long time ago. Amazing how time  flies.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Sunday Daily and Fleet Report, Rich.  3 great days to celebrate.  Forgiveness does not always call for forgetting what happened and going back to normal.  Lighthouses are becoming endangered due to both electronic aids and erosion.  I love the Conrad quote.  @RedneckBob tell DW she might not be any happier with any other man.  I've been to Delgada 3 times, Crystal Serenity in 2008, Queen Victoria in 2016, and Nieuw Statendam in 2019.  Since I don't eat seafood, I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Assorted Garden Greens, Marinated Pineapple Spears and Tagallatelle Verdi Alla Conti as served on MS Prinsendam August 7, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Tbay DH and DGS with Covid
Cruzn single pulmonary Fibrosis diagnosis
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
A rough day for Crusin Terri
Slow recovery for smitty and Tana
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Return of Sue’s bag
Our message from Vicar David
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
Bon Voyage AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) and Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila
1 part Simple Syrup
1/2 part Amaro Liqueur
2 dashes Bitters
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Orange Peel

Instructions
Combine simple syrup, Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila, amaro and bitters. Add ice and stir. Strain over fresh ice and garnish with an orange peel.

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 9.04.15 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

18 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you to all who post and special thanks to Rich and Roy.

I have been pretty much AWOL.  Life is getting in the way.  New air conditioning system needed — being put in tomorrow, readying a business building for selling, finally got to NJ to visit DSIL, general caretaking of DH, dentist appts., etc. etc.  Doctor’s appointments this week for both of us.

My cleaning person of over 40 years is retiring.  How dare she — just kidding.  New person is not happy with our cruise travel schedule which means lost income for her.  We’ll see how this works out.

Next cruises for us are in November and December — unless my fingers get itchy and I book something else.  I would love to get back to Canada for a fall trip.

Happy Sunday to all.  Katherine 

Welcome back.  I hope you can stay safely cool until the AC issue is fixed, this is a rotten time for that to come up.

Roy

• Like 22

Good Morning from another warm and sunny day at the beach

I will celebrate my friends. Forgiveness is hard and sometimes, I believe not really attainable. Best to ignore and move on and dont let it eat you up. 

I love lighthouses, they just fascinate me.  

Played golf yesterday, it was a bit warm but there was a nice breeze off the river.  THen I went to see a former neighbor who is in Assisted living. Really sad to see her as she was such an active vibrant person. Her " spark" is gone . We painted her toenails and did her hair. Not much else you can do. 

Quiet here today. Going to walk the beach tonite after the weekend crowds are gone.  

Enjoy your Sunday. Hope everyone is doing OK.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be another hot one in northeast Ohio today.  We have been promised showers this afternoon, but we've been promised before and gotten nothing.  Not much on the agenda for today, but that is a good thing.  

Today's meal is a great one.  Spinach always reminds me of Popeye.  He did a good job of teaching us kids to eat our spinach to grow big and strong.  

Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that originated in Persia.

It belongs to the amaranth family and is related to beets and quinoa. What’s more, it’s considered very healthy, as it’s loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.

Eating spinach may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, help prevent cancer, and reduce blood pressure levels.

There are many ways to prepare spinach. You can buy it canned or fresh and eat it cooked or raw. It’s delicious either on its own or in other dishes.  You can read more about the nutrative benefits of spinach here:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/spinach

This first one is a simple recipe and looks like how it would be plated on a BHB.  https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/416/pan-roasted-salmon-with-spinach-and-lemon/

646854313_salmonwithspinach1.thumb.jpg.bebd72652efa96e4fa0483ee8980241d.jpg

Here's a one skillet salmon dish that comes together quickly but looks very fancy.  https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/garlic-butter-creamed-spinach-salmon/

934772224_salmonwithspinach2.thumb.jpg.cb1f7593f427a1901dc55935c38ba9dd.jpg

Next up is a Mediterranean style salmon and spinach.  It looks so healthy!  https://juliasalbum.com/pan-seared-salmon-with-spinach/

254118009_salmonwithspinach3.thumb.jpg.8fee4de531db169c3059fce176290790.jpg

This one is for a creamed spinach served with grilled salmon.  https://www.eatwell101.com/grilled-salmon-recipe-with-creamy-spinach

2116024370_salmonwithspinach4.thumb.jpg.50a01f4ed31fc595ce1cac7bc797f5f2.jpg

This last one is one I have made and it is really delicious.  It is low carb for those who are watching their carbs.  In fact, all of these recipes are low carb!   If you're watching the calories you can leave out the cream.   https://cafedelites.com/creamy-garlic-butter-tuscan-salmon/

2085062545_salmonwithspinach6.thumb.jpg.a73a74ad2e4c7722e30a0b17fc1a0691.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thanks. What time do you expect me for dinner!

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Hello to all my Daily friends - although we've never met in person, it feels like we're a bunch of old friends here.  I can forgive, but sometimes it's darn hard to forget. 

Now you're not going to believe this, but here on the "frozen tundra" we actually have a lighthouse.  It's the only lighthouse on the prairies (go figure), built by the mayor of a small resort town who had visited the east coast in the 1980's.  It sits at the top of a hill overlooking Jackfish Lake, and has become a great tourist stop and backdrop for photos.  If you're interested, look up "Cochin Lighthouse".

Cochin Lighthouse - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Goimage.jpeg.b9731009c33a290b8e31daaa84a9ef00.jpeg  

A quiet Sunday for us - this morning we're off to a memorial service for one of the pioneers who used to farm by my in-laws.  He lived a good long life, passing at 97, so we're going to join the family to celebrate the life he lived and then join them for lunch.

I do like today's menu suggestion, as both of us enjoy salmon, but DH has decided (since he cleaned the barbecue yesterday) that we're having smokies for dinner.  I guess it'll be smokies, dilled potatoes and coleslaw for us on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the safe passage of the much needed grain from that country.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate those on the happy list.  Stay well, wear masks when needed, get your boosters and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Have a Blessed Sunday!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 25

Good morning friends!  It's a lovely sunny morning here in the Cincinnati suburbs but we just checked the weather and we're expecting rain anytime between 12 and 5 pm.  After that DD plans on grilling steaks and we will be joined by her two oldest children who will come over to visit and have a great dinner.  Can't wait to see them!  Yesterday we spent the day chatting at the kitchen table and assisting DD with preparing materials for the upcoming 4th grade math class.  She will also teach science to 4th graders.  After that we went to Hobby Lobby for some crafting supplies, and then we all went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant.  

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I think all our days to celebrate are fine and dandy.  Friendship and forgiveness are wonderful.  I know of a few people I've had to forgive because somebody had to step up to break the impasse!  I'm glad I did, too.  Lighthouses are not only interesting structures to look at but so important for safety's sake.  The quote is so true!  I know a lot of you will enjoy the salmon dish today but I'm not a fan of salmon.  Good job on the salmon recipe today Debbie @dfish.  I'm not a red wine lover so thanks but no thanks Ann @cat shepard for the wine description.  

Ponta Delgada, Azores is a first time port choice and I know a lot of us have been there on our transatlantics.  Our first time there was in December, 2012 on Crown Princess.  We walked to a local brewery where DH went inside and chatted with the receptionist and she arranged a off the cuff tour of the brewing and packaging departments.  There were probably only 10 employees which is a huge difference from the brewery DH worked at for over 29 years.  

The second time we were there we went on a ship's tour of Crater Lakes outside the city because our cruising friends only take ship tours.  That was on Royal Princess in April 2015.  Our final time was on the 2018 Grand Med and Africa voyage on the Prinsendam.  That time we just walked around the town enjoying the ambiance of Ponta Delgada.  Here are the pictures of those visits.

Arriving at the Mel Abreu brewery in Ponta Delgada, which makes the Especial beer.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL4jGsFF_ko519qTBJb_Jpr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381071

When you open the doors at the entrance you are met with these stairs to reception.  Certainly different!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSnZGA9_RVttGkKZmeLUxC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381090

After explaining he was a former Anheuser-Busch Engineering manager and was interested in seeing their operations, we were instantly escorted into the brewing area.  I mean literally 5 minutes later!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8Sto6nIIkESXh3gLFveKl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381096

Some of the ingredients that make up beer.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIuEI4N_RShNIpdZOOf96pg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381135

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1EpTVtpKMD7MRO0foo4oA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381133

This was Jimmy who was giving us the tour.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIDTXOmYGKms2ULLekmfEx-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381184

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8I31LjRN-K7LLRn_9vspK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381150

Talk about a fresh sample of beer!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZnj3a1Hjq52yNc3GYUzdy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381201

Next up was the packaging side of the operation which was across the street.  Norberto took over the tour at this point.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJU1FvJqWboXnkIXfOo02Eh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381240

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKtc9-BL8LmSp_4uWhJcVLg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381212

The bottles go around the machine and are filled.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJpOb-b_Q3n_WAKUeaqSWeF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381212

After checking out all the kegs and shipping area, we went to the break room for a taste of some of their products.  Since I don't drink beer, I had one of the soft drinks they bottled here, Kima.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJT7C7gIWmKdXQEZm923AKx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356381223

I'll look for some Crater Lake pics from 2015 next.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

A cloudy morning here in northern Michigan but it is supposed to clear up.  It is supposed to be breezy and cool today.  I finally kicked my caffeine habit. I had been feeling palpitations so being so far from my doctors I figured the easiest way to help is stopping my caffeine. Three cups of coffee, a Diet Pepsi and a Lipton bottled ice tea was a lot per day. No palpitations since.   Missing the extra pep it gave me big time. No worries about AFib DF John has a CardioMobile and I checked myself and no AFib. 

Gardening today and making chili.  Thank you for the Daily Reports.  Friends are really important. Pass on cocktail the salmon but the Malbec looks great. Never have been to that port. Prayers for those on the care list.  Have a great  Sunday!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1