Family cruise next year

We plan on taking my in laws and brother in law on a cruise next year for their retirement. Trying to figure out the best way to book rooms for  all of us, or to get an idea of the suite situation namely on Wonder or Allure. 
Ideally, my husband and I would have our own space, and my husband’s family (3 in total) would have theirs. 
what makes the most sense? separate cabins or a huge suite? 
Our family has never cruised and we want them to have the BEST time. 

thanks in advance ☺️🥳

Edited by SeaPink0409

12 minutes ago, SeaPink0409 said:

Ideally, my husband and I would have our own space, and my husband’s family (3 in total) would have theirs. 

Sounds like you answered your own question. I'd go with 2 cabins based on that statement.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Do you want to be in & sleep in the same room as your brother in law?

Wow. Why are you being so rude? I said IDEALLY everyone would have their own space. If you read my post, I was inquiring about the suites. But I guess you didn’t. 

if you don’t have something helpful to say, why say anything 😖 

• Like 1

There are suites that accommodate separate sleeping spaces but they are pretty pricey.  Only you know your budget/expectations and feelings about your in laws 😁.  I would suggest looking at separate cabins in proximity to each other.  My brother and I are extremely close but we are still getting our own cabins. 
BTW that particular poster is often rude.  You can, as I have, block his posts from your profile page.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

One factor to consider is that the really big suites with multiple bedrooms & bathrooms do come with some pretty significant perks. You definitely pay for them, as they are quite pricey, but if the upper end of the perks are 1) important to you and 2) within your budget, it's something to keep in mind. 

Personally, when I've treated family members to cruises in the past, I found what worked best was to get one big (but one-bedroom) suite as the "home base," and inexpensive cabins nearby so that our guests could have their own space to retreat to as needed.  For us, that worked better than having genie-level perks, but to each their own. 

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

One factor to consider is that the really big suites with multiple bedrooms & bathrooms do come with some pretty significant perks. You definitely pay for them, as they are quite pricey, but if the upper end of the perks are 1) important to you and 2) within your budget, it's something to keep in mind. 

Personally, when I've treated family members to cruises in the past, I found what worked best was to get one big (but one-bedroom) suite as the "home base," and inexpensive cabins nearby so that our guests could have their own space to retreat to as needed.  For us, that worked better than having genie-level perks, but to each their own. 

thank you!! This is the type of answer I was looking for. Very helpful, I’ve only cruised in a suite a few times, but was wondering about space and bigger suites on the bigger ships. 

• Like 2

When my husband and I sail with family or friends, it is important to us for each family to have their own room. Too much togetherness is sometimes just too much! When it comes to family relationships, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.I would suggest connecting cabins or just cabins near each other. Cabins next to each other can open the balcony divider and sometimes that suffices.

One thing to consider about having a suite for some and not for others: Coastal kitchen. We always make sure that we can all dine together.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Cruising with family can be so rewarding. I recommend using a good cruise travel agent. They can help you with all the little details to make the cruise extra special.

• Thanks 1

Yup. We are going with our son and his family next summer for an anniversary cruise.  Separate cabins on different decks is fine with me.  We'll all need a break from each other after a daytime of excursions, meals together, etc....

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

We’ve done a family cruise and are planning another.  We did exactly the same thing as others have mentioned.  We got all the adult kids and families their own room and we got a larger cabin to gather in.  After the last one we thought it really worked well. 7 nights is too long to be in a suite together, now there are 15 of us which would mean 2 anyway.  We do all stay in the same house for holidays but after about 3 nights even with separate bedrooms it get to be too much.  Having separate rooms give family space.  We meet for meals and excursions, sail away and  we’ve even had a party in our room.  This next time it will be 7 cabins.  Our kids would rather have connecting insides then one balcony so the littles can sleep better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

Yup. We are going with our son and his family next summer for an anniversary cruise.  Separate cabins on different decks is fine with me.  We'll all need a break from each other after a daytime of excursions, meals together, etc....

Not to mention the sound barrier at night. Who wants to risk sharing bedroom activity sounds with your family? Yuck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Not to mention the sound barrier at night. Who wants to risk sharing bedroom activity sounds with your family? Yuck. 

🙄 

assuming I hadn’t already thought of this?! Some of y’all are 🫠

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

As the old saying goes, fish and house guests start to stink after three days. 
Do you really want to be confined in the same cabin with your in-laws for a week?

I’d highly recommend separate rooms…

I was honestly asking how many bedrooms the bigger suites have on royal and if anyone had any insight to share.  
my husband and I will obviously have our own cabin, but was looking for a bigger space for my in laws. I guess I was not clear 🤔😵💫

1 minute ago, SeaPink0409 said:

🙄 

assuming I hadn’t already thought of this?! Some of y’all are 🫠

That would have been the first thing I thought of, and it would have immediately nixed the idea of sharing a room, or even a wall. But that's just me. I realize a lot of people don't share those activities with their significant others very often, and could go a week without worrying about it. 

21 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

At our age, it's the bathroom sharing that's too frightening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, SeaPink0409 said:

We plan on taking my in laws and brother in law on a cruise next year for their retirement. Trying to figure out the best way to book rooms for  all of us, or to get an idea of the suite situation namely on Wonder or Allure. 

thanks in advance ☺️🥳

Only you know the answer to this question

We are doing a family cruise on Wonder this Thanksgiving.  I would book Grand Suites next to each other and open the balcony dividers or get connecting if that's important.  JS are nice but don't allow access to the suite amenities like Suite sun deck, lounge, and Coastal Kitchen.  But there is the $ factor to consider.  This trip we got a great price on an OS for us, put adult kids in JS, and one adult grandson in a OV balcony.  But, all around if we did it again I would be perfectly happy with a GS and put everybody else on deck #2 inside.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

We had an OS on Harmony for me hubby, adult daughter & adult son.  She’s older & was supposed to get the sofa bed but he’s taller & conned is sister into taking the rollaway.  He is a charmer!  It was plenty of room and not the least uncomfortable.  We’ve never gotten a separate room for the kids, actually never occurred to us as they were growing up.  She slept with me & poor son got stuck with dad!  On our next family cruise, my nephew needs a roomie so the 3 of them are booked in a balcony but daughter will actually stay in our JS with us.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

I haven't read all posts, so I may be repeating something:

If money isn't much of an object, I'd book a 2 bedroom suite (Star Class), something like a 2 bedroom aqua theater suite or a 2 bedroom grand loft, if Wonder has those.  

The two bedroom suites would give you your space, give you mother & father in laws their own space and your brother in law, kind of his own space, he'd have a fold out couch and the whole living room to himself, kinda.  

JMHO

• Like 1

Our family (my parents, my husband and I, my sister, her husband, and their kids) do family cruises every four years or so.  We have always all had each family unit have their own separate cabin (and as my sister's kids get older they are debating two cabins for their family) and sometimes we aren't located in the same area of the ship depending on what kind of rooms we each want.  There are plenty of places all over a cruise ship to meet up and hang out.

One thing to keep in mind is that if one of you has a suite and some of the others don't, generally the others can't join the suite passengers in their benefits (Coastal Kitchen, suite lounge, suite neighborhood on the Wonder, etc.), so the people in the suite room miss out on some of the perks they paid for (or don't spend as much time with the rest of the family).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SeaPink0409 said:

thanks in advance ☺️🥳

It is a difficult question to answer without knowing your budget and your expectations.  Some people like to pay as little as possible on their cabin as they say they won't spend much time in it and would prefer to spend their money on other things, like specialty dining, drink packages, excursions, etc.  We sail a lot in suites but will sail in a balcony if the price is right.

I would do at least two cabins with the understanding that the BIL will likely end up on a sofabed in most cabin configurations.  If this is an adult, maybe a third cabin makes sense.  I would not want a big suite for everyone but that works for some families.  

I would read some reviews of the ships you are considering and look at the cruise line's website at all the different cabin types.  Time of year is going to make a big difference in price.  Holiday weeks and school vacation weeks tend to be more expensive too.

• Like 1