The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 11th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Presidential Joke Day, Son and Daughter Day, and Plan in the Sand Day

If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.--C.S. Lewis

Meal Suggestion for today - Personal Margherita Pizzas
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Black Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Angels & Cowboys 2020 Rosé (Sonoma County)
Destination of the Day - Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan Alaska US 11:00 AM To 7:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland eta 08/12

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Invergordon, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 23:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 08/12

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0811Atlantic.thumb.png.bd20d9c1d5dbd9ecb3f2d08c15ba3de3.png

0811Pacific.thumb.png.f1895b3a966ce0c7fb47984fb7440d4b.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good but for another day.  I’ve been to today’s port several times and it is a wonderful place to visit.  Today promises to be a busy work day.

image.png.e52090544480f1aafac4c5462a06b5ad.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Bertie and I saw a skunk on our walk this morning, fortunately we didn't get too close.

Presidential Joke Day!?   Some presidents have a sense of humour, others do not.  I remember Nixon of Laugh-in saying "Sock it to me?"   😁  I'm not sure what a "plan in the sand" is.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds great.  I'm sure I'd like the drink.  Hope the wine is not too expensive.

We've been to Sydney, but not on a cruise.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Interesting collection of days,  I haven't spent a lot of time in the sand in years.  A special salute to Sons and Daughters.  Thought provoking statement by Lewis.  Sydney is definitely an interesting port.  Looks like Zaandam is not that far away today.  I like the meal.  My alternative is Poached Orange and Grapes, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam August 11, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Fires near Seasick Sailor
Koningsdam crew member overboard 8/9
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
4 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon.

Another sunny day and 77°F.

We have lots of beaches nearby although we don't play or plan in the sand.

Pauline has had lots of presidential jokes sent to her but I wouldn't dare post them on CC.

Interesting quote.

Pizza sounds nice if it is on a thin Romana base.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG-20220811-WA0000.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Interesting collection of days,  I haven't spent a lot of time in the sand in years.  A special salute to Sons and Daughters.  Thought provoking statement by Lewis.  Sydney is definitely an interesting port.  Looks like Zaandam is not that far away today.  I like the meal.  My alternative is Poached Orange and Grapes, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam August 11, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Fires near Seasick Sailor
Koningsdam crew member overboard 8/9
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
4 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 13

Jim Beam Black Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
3 dashes Angostura® Bitters
2 ½ parts Jim Beam Black®
¾ part Vermouth, Sweet
Garnish with Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients in 3-piece shaker. Shake vigorously to chill. Strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 7.21.10 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the not quite Friday, Rich.  Is that supposed to be Play in the sand?

Roy

Proof reading is not one of my biggest talents. Yes it should have been Play in the Sand Day.

It must be time to take another cruise.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Thanks for the Fleet update. It is Presidential Joke Day. Better not go there; might get banned for life from CC.

Well, it’s time for my next cruise story, #2, Week 2. I call it:

An Appetizer to Remember”

Many, many years ago in a land far, far away; well let’s say January 2008, South Pacific, 35 days on the Ryndam, we had an adventure that we will never forget. At the beginning of the cruise there was posted in the Daily Program the notice of a recipe contest by the Executive Chef. The recipe would be an appetizer and the best dish would win a prize. So I told the Misses that I would submit my world famous appetizer, Fried Cheesy Grit Balls. Immediately the Misses replied, “Bob”, when she calls me Bob I know it’s serious; “Bob, do you know what happened last time you fixed the grit balls. You had to go out to the shed and get your Poulan chain saw to cut them”. I replied, “I made a little mistake. Instead of using the two pound bag of grit mix, I used the two pound bag of concrete cement mix instead 😀”. So We decided not to enter.

Cutting to the chase, several days into the cruise the cook off was between three ladies, one of which was a fellow CC member (Mrs. C ). It was staged at the old movie theater on the Ryndam where a portable kitchen was set up. The three judges included the Hotel Manager, Culinary Manager and the Captain Groothius. This was a big deal. The winner was Mrs C and the winning dish was “Mushroom stuffed with Crabmeat and Blue Cheese”. The prize was not a HAL shirt, bottle of wine, free cruise but to have the dish served at the Main Dining Room on the next night. This was pretty exciting!

So the next night we headed to the MDR. Two very interesting things happened. When we got to the MDR, the menu for the night was not displayed at the entrance, which is always done and as we walked to our assigned table in the MDR I could hear laughter happening throughout the MDR. We quickly found out why. The following is the original menu from the MDR that night.

EB02CECC-C6E9-4731-A8DC-1CC8FD38A430.thumb.jpeg.4d18cdb076b278af9b344fd2dc71b276.jpeg

No explanation required except that was the best Crap Meat I ever had! 😀 Needless to say it was funny but Mrs. C was not happen but she did say, “Another priceless HAL memory for me”.  I found out later that the staff knew about the printing error but decided not to change it.

But wait there’s more! As Paul Harvey would say, stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Fast forward 2-1/2 years later. We are now on the Voyage of the Vikings, Maasdam, 35 days North Atlantic. Early in the cruise we are headed to lunch in the MDR and as we round the corner in the hallway, here comes this man in a chef outfit. I immediately recognize him as the chief chef from our 2008 South Pacific. I stopped and asked him do you remember that 2008 South Pacific cruise and the error on the menu. He replied yes and then said in a deep German accent pointing to his behind, “I got my butt chewed out”.

And now you know the rest of the story. RedneckBob,  out.

• Like 11
  • Haha 22

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Proof reading is not one of my biggest talents. Yes it should have been Play in the Sand Day.

It must be time to take another cruise.

Take another cruise sounds like a great idea.

I let Pauline loose with the cruise brochures and we have seven booked🤫.

Lovely lunch today.

Graham.

IMG_20220811_121027.jpg

IMG_20220811_115136.jpg

• Like 32

Good morning, everyone.

It is starting out to be a beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  I'll celebrate Sons and Daughters Day.  Actually that is a day for everyone of us as we are one or the other.  I'm heading up to Michigan today.  We have a family picnic on Saturday.  It will be nice to see the whole gang as it has been way too long since I've seen most of them.  

Pizza Margherita (more commonly known in English as Margherita pizza) is a typical Neapolitan pizza, made with San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt, and extra-virgin olive oil. 

In June 1889 the pizzaiolo Raffaele Esposito, Pizzeria Brandi's chef, invented a dish called "Pizza Margherita" in honor of the Queen of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, and the Italian unification, since toppings are tomato (red), mozzarella (white) and basil (green), ingredients inspired by the colors of the national flag of Italy.

The origins of Pizza Margherita came from mixing similar toppings that were was already present in Naples between 1796 and 1810. In 1849 Emanuele Rocco recorded different pizza toppings like basil, tomatoes and thin slices of mozzarella; the mozzarella was thinly sliced, and added to the toppings already present.

The variations in Pizza Margherita will be the way the crust is made and the tomato sauce.  This first one is very basic and quick and easy.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/personal-margherita-pizzas/

862155053_margheritapizza1.jpg.a39dce080d3fac5533cc6d4e35783a83.jpg

This next one has a homemade crust and tomato sauce.  https://www.abeautifulplate.com/the-best-homemade-margherita-pizza/

2009414241_margheritapizza2.thumb.jpg.5a5e6300ad4644be60757c527022c074.jpg

This recipe offers a choice for the dough and a recipe for the sauce that uses fire roasted tomatoes.  Couldn't you fire roast your own on the grill?   https://www.acouplecooks.com/margherita-pizza-recipe/

1385774846_margheritapizza3.thumb.jpg.20250c1965e577286412da7f060eaf78.jpg

Here it is, ready for @ger_77 Gerry's Pizza Friday tomorrow.  Enjoy!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   I'm off!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another eerily colored marine layer. Perhaps the Saharan dust is making this happen. A super long walk this morning with Bindi. It is my favorite time to walk. The birds are just waking up and singing their morning songs. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites! @dfish, Debbie thank you for letting us know that American bumped you out of first class when they changed your flight. We were so distracted by the seven hour flight change, that we never though to make sure everything else was ok. It was, but it might not have been - so thank you for mentioning it.  

Today is my day off from the gym, so gardening, house stuff, Bindi walks and pool time is in my future. @kazu thinking of you, Jacqui.❤️

Bindi greets our mail carrier every time we see her, because Bindi knows she will get treats.

B074B675-3E23-49B4-AECF-1DE94209E3E9.jpeg.0a0fe6115f13ba32bb8cb7a985ab050f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Angels & Cowboys 2020 Rosé

Though rosés are not usually my wine of choice, this one sounds appealing. I would like to try it. Excellent reviews from critics and consumers and a reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $13.98.

Winemaker Notes

The 2020 Rosé displays a bouquet of summer orchard fruit ranging from tangerine to peach accented by aromatic floral notes of violet and rose petal. On the palate the racy acidity delivers a focused savory herb element and minerality, along with delicate watermelon, raspberry, and Rainier Cherry fruit. Fresh and quaffable, this Rosé possesses a thirst-quenching fruitiness and dry finish that call for pairing with charcuterie platters, oysters, or a simple bowl of fresh strawberries.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

Made from Grenache, this wine is light in color with an inviting, floral nose. Bright, zesty hits of grapefruit and tangerine dance around a svelte midpalate of focused acidity and lasting freshness. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

The teacher across the hall from me posts a Dad joke every day.  Here are a few Presidential ones that I remember that are appropriate for the Daily.

Q: Which rock group has four men who don’t sing?
A: Mount Rushmore.

Q: What did George Washington say to his men before crossing the Delaware?
A: Get in the boat…

And one on in honor of put zucchini on your neighbors porch day.

Q: If you crossed a zucchini with our first president, what would you get?
A: George Squashington.

Happily, I’m off to the beach to play in the sand!

• Like 20
  • Haha 16

A beautiful morning here in Michigan's UP.  54 degrees and going to the 70s. A day of gardening since it is supposed to blow out of the north so keeping the pontoon in one place is difficult even with anchor.   

Thanks @richwmnfor the Daily Reports.  @rafinmdthank you for keeping the daily care and celebrations.  Brief post today, returning to yesterday's to look for BA port photos.  Have a great day!

Bonus Daylily from Oakes I love it because it blooms later in the season. My tomatoes are going gangbusters. 

IMG_20220810_084652434_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220810_111702043_HDR.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning Dailyites. The rain that was due last night didn't make it and no rain in the forecast. A brush fire near one of our new developments here in Sun City had a major road closure. Yikes all the wood and trusses and homes started could have been very serious.

Prayers lifted to all on Roy's list and mine. Jacqui and Shadow hope all is well!

We have a video call with the VA in an hour so will come back to visit later.

image.png.2fb652fab156d9b1c4f13b56c8e73216.png

image.png.e5ac920075801b86b03d4b86d49d9ffe.png

image.png.75c0988d74dfd1fd988af781ace6d868.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. I will absolutely  celebrate  sons and daughters  and will not get myself kicked off the Daily with jokes about Presidents.Play in the sand day sounds like fun.

We have been to Sydney  a few times and the last was on a very rainy late May Maasdam cruise.Rain pants and hooded jackets saved the day.

Tana has a rebound case of covid with a high fever.DD and I found a private aide for this week to help us as we are both still very tired.This woman is just great and managed a difficult  situation  very well.She offered  to find someone for overnight but we decided we could manage ourselves.Well, suffice it to say we should have listened to the wiser woman!

There will be something  easy for dinner tonight but I have not decided on what yet.The recipes look great. Thanks Debbie  @dfish!Safe travels today

Terry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12