Newer ships ambience

I have not sailed on the newer ships (Edge and newer) and remember some negative reviews against the Edge when she first sailed  (apart from the Virtual balconies).  Some of the concerns centered on the “weird” interactions between the entertainers wandering through the ship and suddenly appearing “in your face” anywhere on the ship.  This was concerning for me so I have stuck to the older ships. However, I am curious as to what the ambience is now on the Edge and Apex.  I might dip my tie in the water if it has cooled off some.  Thanks

ps. I am not asking for review of the virtual balcony as there are plenty of comments on that…pro and con. 

I’ve sailed both..never had anyone get in my face on Apex..that may have been part of the original show in Eden on Edge…it was edgy, per reviews. 

I would sail S Class or E Class again tomorrow. 

We were on Apex for 14 nights last fall, and loved it!  No in-your-face entertainers.  We loved dinner in Eden and could hear only some soft music from the bar area one deck up.  I had also read there were not enough quiet areas to read or watch the sea go by; however, we found quiet nooks on the ramp in Eden several times.  We are booked on Beyond in October and looking forward to it!

We sailed on the Edge way back in January, 2019.  We had no interactions with entertainers in any venues on the ship, including in Eden.

Our only complaint about the ship was lack of seating in the bar/entertainment areas.  The older ships have a number of different lounges with varying menus, atmosphere, and entertainment.  Edge had only a couple of larger lounges that filled extremely quickly (no seats left by 4pm) and did not have the intimate setting of some of the smaller lounges.  Because we like to cruise with friends and we meet for cocktails before dinner each night and would actually like to sit down(!), this was a big problem for us.

We were on the Apex for 4 weeks.   No one got in our face.  

As mentioned in the prior post the Edenist on Edge  would try to get you to interact with them but it was voluntary.  In the Eden dining room they only approached you if you held up the candle, in the lounge during their performances at night they would only approach you if you looked interested.   They have also removed the worship rock (stone)  that was in the center of that lounge and I guess changed that performance. 

Wouldn’t worry about anyone getting in your face except maybe those trying to sell  beverage packages, and spa treatments on the first day.   You can avoid those spa hawks by not taking the spa tour and don’t enter any raffles.  

Happy cruising 🌊🌅🚢🇺🇸

The short of it, that's gone.  Long, that was the original show that was ONLY on the Edge, I never experienced it but recall part of the forced interaction was if you had the specialty dinner, the costumed entertainers would often bring a dish to your table.  It changed before the pandemic and when it restarted (Was on the 5th sailing after the US restart) the Eden shows were replaced by musicians.  I'm not sure if the shows even resumed on the Edge but they reportedly happen on the Apex and Beyond.

We cruised the Edge pre Covid. Found the ship to be badly "under elevatored." Now with more concerns about overcrowding on elevators for health reasons I question whether I would be comfortable on an E class ship.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

They stopped doing that weird interaction stuff. That said, I find the E class beautiful,  but more emphasis on style than function and comfort.  I prefer the more traditional but will sail E class again in suite class if the price is right. 

oh this is good to know as I thought that was wierd.

I am seeing good prices for the Beyond in Nov and might book an inside just to see the ship

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm not sure if the shows even resumed on the Edge but they reportedly happen on the Apex and Beyond.

That is absolutely incorrect. Those shows were NEVER on the Apex or Beyond. 

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That is absolutely incorrect. Those shows were NEVER on the Apex or Beyond. 

Hmmm, I suppose I could have saw trip reports with pics of costumed dancers in the main theater I wrongly assumed were in the Eden.  To be crystal clear, since the restart, there have been zero Eden shows (dancers/aerialists in costumes) besides musicians?

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Hmmm, I suppose I could have saw pics of costumed dancers in the main theater I wrongly assumed were in the Eden.  To be crystal clear, since the restart, there have been zero Eden shows (dancers/aerialists in costumes) besides musicians?

No, you're conflating the shows on the inaugural season of the Edge with subsequent shows on all E-Class Ships. Some of the new shows do in fact include aerialists but they do not include audience participation nor do the performers interact with guests either in Eden or anywhere else on the ship. 

It was the inaugural season on the Edge that had those shows that caused all the controversy. I should know, because I was on one of the Inaugural cruises on the Edge. 

The first video below is the show in question from the Inaugural Edge cruise.  The second video is what shows in Eden are like now. Currently there are also shows in Eden that are sorta like a variety show, with various performances from onboard performers. It may be a singer, aerialists, violinists, artists all doing a little act within a larger show. It's generally over an hour since there's all these different performances.

Edited by kwokpot

4 hours ago, Formerly known as Seabee said:

I have not sailed on the newer ships (Edge and newer) and remember some negative reviews against the Edge when she first sailed  (apart from the Virtual balconies).  Some of the concerns centered on the “weird” interactions between the entertainers wandering through the ship and suddenly appearing “in your face” anywhere on the ship.  This was concerning for me so I have stuck to the older ships. However, I am curious as to what the ambience is now on the Edge and Apex.  I might dip my tie in the water if it has cooled off some.  Thanks

ps. I am not asking for review of the virtual balcony as there are plenty of comments on that…pro and con. 

The Edge is… edgy! The entertainment is long gone. Edge as someone else said, seems to be missing a few bars. More larger, but not large enough, bars. It has amazing art to discover, the 4 MDRs which are stellar, the great walking track and the Magic Carpet, which is a great daytime hang out spot.

Definitely worth one trip just to explore. Overall, a mixed bag for us - one more Apex scheduled for October, then no more Edge class for at least a year, so you can tell we didn’t abandon the other ships. 

18 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

No, you're conflating the shows on the inaugural season of the Edge with subsequent shows on all E-Class Ships. Some of the new shows do in fact include aerialists but they do not include audience participation nor do the performers interact with guests either in Eden or anywhere else on the ship. 

It was the inaugural season on the Edge that had those shows that caused all the controversy. I should know, because I was on one of the Inaugural cruises on the Edge. 

The first video below is the show in question from the Inaugural Edge cruise.  The second video is what shows in Eden are like now. Currently there are also shows in Eden that are sorta like a variety show, with various performances from onboard performers. It may be a singer, aerialists, violinists, artists all doing a little act within a larger show. It's generally over an hour since there's all these different performances.

That's what I said...lol...Not sure where the disconnect is but it sounds like we're confusing each other and most likely others, let me give a time line...You're welcome to make corrections if you'd like

2018 -2019ish/inaugural :  Eden costume dancers shows with forced interaction

2019ish -shutdown: Eden costume dancer shows, withOUT forced interaction which completely ended.

Edge Restart: When the Edge restarted (Apex/Beyond weren't sailing yet), I was on the 5th sailing post-restart, didn't have any costume dance shows, only un-costumed musicians.  I don't know if on the Edge if no-interaction costume dancer shows resumed or not.

Apex and Beyond inaugural-current: Have no-interaction costume dancer shows

Love the E-Class Because it differs from the other Celebrity Classes And other Lines. Enjoy it a great deal. Especially the wraparound walkway in Eden that goes around the stern. And the great 4 MDRs. 

but love (seem to be overusing that word) each Celebrity Class for their uniqueness. So no trouble going from Solstice to Apex to Summit…..and back again!

den

• Like 1

On Edge in April they barley had enough entertainers.  The Soul Waves (who were very good, and personable when we bumped into them for a late night snack) may have been flown in or transferred from another ship just to fill out the entertainment on that sailing.  Didn't see signs of anything interesting in Eden.  Mostly 1, sometimes 2 people on acoustic and a lot of furniture that is comfy, but ill positioned (heavy, but moveable) to really watch the show.

Edited by Cap_D