*Honest* Carnival food review!

LOL.  Yeah, every time someone posts a review (of anything) and puts "honest" in the title, I have to ask, "what, do you think everyone else is just lying?  That you're the only person who is being honest?"  Sheesh.

I didn't watch the video.  I'll decide on my own what foods I think are good and which ones aren't so much.  And, ftr, on one cruise a particular dish will be good, the next one not so much.  It varies.  Supplies aren't necessarily consistent.  Cooking isn't either.  Doesn't mean that one dish out of thousands across the fleet is horrible and no one should ever order.  Or the opposite.  That it's fabulous and everyone who ever cruises will love it.

😁

• Like 12

1 hour ago, CharismaticWoman said:

If you’ve seen our other videos then you know we always keep it real! Without further adieu: Our Mardi Gras food review 😁

Carnival Mardi Gras Cruise Vlog: Part 2 of Full Review - Let's talk about the food!

Thanks! I think you did a great job on the venues you covered.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I agree about the sandwiches being the specialty of Carnival's food. I think when people say they weren't able to find anything to eat onboard they mainly mean it didn't live up to their expectations compared to other cruise line's food quality. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

I think when people say they weren't able to find anything to eat onboard they mainly mean it didn't live up to their expectations compared to other cruise line's food quality. 

For me, I really mean that I can't find anything to eat onboard when I say that. On PCL, they have a huge emphasis on seafood, which I don't eat. I have left the MDR or buffet hungry bc I truly couldn't find anything to eat at that venue.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

For me, I really mean that I can't find anything to eat onboard when I say that. On PCL, they have a huge emphasis on seafood, which I don't eat. I have left the MDR or buffet hungry bc I truly couldn't find anything to eat at that venue.  

I have to infer that PCL is Princess.  I don't eat seafood at all and spent 14 days on the Discovery in April and never had a problem finding something to eat in the MDR.  Now, the lunchtime choices at the buffet......

• Like 1

I REALLY liked Emeril's and am delighted he will have a venue on Celebration. He doesn't try to duplicate what others serve, but puts his own interpretation on dishes.

Is his version of beignets different from Cafe du Monde? Of course. Did Cafe du Monde invent beignets? No. Beignets didn't originate in the US and predate New Orleans.

Food is highly subjective. Not everyone is going to agree.

• Like 1

The sandwiches on Mardi Gras are definitely great as is the pizza. I wanted to like Pig and Anchor but the service there was awful and slow but maybe it was just our waiter. It took 20 minutes to get drinks and over 30 minutes for food which is odd because it seems like the food is basically served cafeteria style so I don't know why it took so long. 

The biggest disappointment for me on Mardi Gras were the Caesar salads. I tried them three times as I enjoy having one with dinner. Twice in the dining room and once in the Italian restaurant. All three were awful with terrible limp, wilted lettuce and bland, watery dressing. The croutons were awful as well. 

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I have to infer that PCL is Princess.  I don't eat seafood at all and spent 14 days on the Discovery in April and never had a problem finding something to eat in the MDR.  Now, the lunchtime choices at the buffet......

Yes to PCL. 

I like beef. They have skimped on the beef options due to cost cutting. Hence why I sometimes go hungry sometimes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

LOL.  Yeah, every time someone posts a review (of anything) and puts "honest" in the title, I have to ask, "what, do you think everyone else is just lying?  That you're the only person who is being honest?"  Sheesh.

I didn't watch the video.  I'll decide on my own what foods I think are good and which ones aren't so much.  And, ftr, on one cruise a particular dish will be good, the next one not so much.  It varies.  Supplies aren't necessarily consistent.  Cooking isn't either.  Doesn't mean that one dish out of thousands across the fleet is horrible and no one should ever order.  Or the opposite.  That it's fabulous and everyone who ever cruises will love it.

😁

Bingo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I REALLY liked Emeril's and am delighted he will have a venue on Celebration. He doesn't try to duplicate what others serve, but puts his own interpretation on dishes.

Is his version of beignets different from Cafe du Monde? Of course. Did Cafe du Monde invent beignets? No. Beignets didn't originate in the US and predate New Orleans.

Food is highly subjective. Not everyone is going to agree.

Agree on Emerils, loved the beignets, but not really like the ones at cafe du Monde, which is fine

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree on Emerils, loved the beignets, but not really like the ones at cafe du Monde, which is fine

"Honestly" I prefer the beignets from Cafe du Monde, but my first choice is Coffee Call in Baton Rouge. I understand he isn't trying to duplicate.  I have no intention of trying chocolate or wild berry or any other abomination beignet from Popeye's, ever. Although I do love their chicken and also the biscuits. 

Now if they served Emreil's banana cream pie on the ships. Bam!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john91498 said:

Interesting title, all my reviews are lies...🤣😆😂

Yeah lots of YouTube cruise videos are titled that way and I always rant about it when I see it. My partner just rolls his eyes because I have to say something every time I run across it. Which I'll admit is frequently. 😄

On 8/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, DrSea said:

You do know you can request any food you want. As long as they have it they will make it for you.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, NCTribeFan said:

No, I understand. Look at Parodeejay, sometimes they sugar coat trying to stay positive when you can tell this food or excursion was atrocious. Everyone is told to hype everything on YouTube and sometimes you can get an elevated sense of worth in a review that is not justified. 

• Like 4

On 8/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, NCTribeFan said:

I mean, I rarely trust food reviews. Especially when the word "food" is in the title. Usually followed by "quality went down" "food was inedible" etc

On 8/17/2022 at 11:54 PM, calgaryhhr said:

The sandwiches on Mardi Gras are definitely great as is the pizza. I wanted to like Pig and Anchor but the service there was awful and slow but maybe it was just our waiter. It took 20 minutes to get drinks and over 30 minutes for food which is odd because it seems like the food is basically served cafeteria style so I don't know why it took so long. 

The biggest disappointment for me on Mardi Gras were the Caesar salads. I tried them three times as I enjoy having one with dinner. Twice in the dining room and once in the Italian restaurant. All three were awful with terrible limp, wilted lettuce and bland, watery dressing. The croutons were awful as well. 

I agree service at Pig & Anchor is slow.  After we were seated we got the ordering slip within 5 minutes or so but it was at least 10 minutes later before they were picked up.  We waited at least 10 minutes for our drink order to be taken and at least another 10 minutes to receive our drinks.  I would say it took 20 minutes to actually get our food.   Once we were done eating it was another 10-15 minutes before they realized we were waiting on out desert.  Overall, a meal that should be at most 30 minutes took well over an hour.

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You do know you can request any food you want. As long as they have it they will make it for you.

I have asked the waiter for a beef dish and they said that they didn't have any. Do I ask someone else? 

12 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

On a different thread there was a poster that requested mashed potatoes and carrots each night and got them with no problem.

They make those each night anyway, usually served with the strip loin.