coffee

Fayecruises

Royal Class ships use a ground coffee in the DR, Buffet and for room service. Grand Class and the Coral & Island still use the liquid coffee concentrate, what you call syrup.

If you have the plus or premier fare or the coffee package then you can order the brewed coffee from the I.C. at no extra charge. Otherwise there is a charge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

too bad   going to be hard going on a world cruise    Years ago we went to Hawaii round trip on Princess and it was so bad that we bought a small coffee machine in Kona and got their coffee  I am not fussy about anything but coffee

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fayecruises said:

too bad   going to be hard going on a world cruise    Years ago we went to Hawaii round trip on Princess and it was so bad that we bought a small coffee machine in Kona and got their coffee  I am not fussy about anything but coffee

IIRC: on the world cruise, for every new segment you start over for benefits (i.e. if you're Elite, you get a mini bar with each segment). You could exchange the mini bar for the coffee package and get "the real thing" that way.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, skynight said:

Royal Class ships use a ground coffee in the DR, Buffet and for room service. Grand Class and the Coral & Island still use the liquid coffee concentrate, what you call syrup.

If you have the plus or premier fare or the coffee package then you can order the brewed coffee from the I.C. at no extra charge. Otherwise there is a charge.

Would you happen to know if they use syrup or ground on the Crown class ships?  Was on the Ruby recently and the coffee seemed to taste better than usual; not great, just better than on the smaller ships. 

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

IIRC: on the world cruise, for every new segment you start over for benefits (i.e. if you're Elite, you get a mini bar with each segment). You could exchange the mini bar for the coffee package and get "the real thing" that way.

thanks  I did not realize that    we have done two world cruises on Cunard (well the 2020 was not complete) and always got pre paid gratuities  and now it has to be added to the premium (i think that is what they call it) which includes beverages wifi and gratuities  

we bought plastic french press and brought ground coffee and made our own. then we bought coffee cards where you get free brewed coffee and cappuccino. now with plus package included in fares we get free brewed coffee or special ones.

4 hours ago, Fayecruises said:

I have not been on Princess for a few years   But then the coffee was horrible -- they use a coffee syrup   Is that still true

On the Grand and Coral Class, yes, but as of March the syrup changed from Douwe-Egberts to Nescafe which was a substantial improvement. Consider Starbucks Via in the two box set from the big box stores. Now that's a cup of instant to rival good brewed coffee.

Edited by mtnesterz

1 hour ago, Fayecruises said:

thanks  I did not realize that    we have done two world cruises on Cunard (well the 2020 was not complete) and always got pre paid gratuities  and now it has to be added to the premium (i think that is what they call it) which includes beverages wifi and gratuities  

Do you have the plus fare or the premium fare? If so then unlimited brewed coffee is included. Order from the app or from the TV. I guess you are on the Island Princess, no I.C., but they still have specialty coffees and brewed coffees. 

52 minutes ago, Fayecruises said:

I don;t have plus or premium yet since I did not book the cruise  yet 

I was just amazed that the difference between the standard and the plus is $6000  per person   

Remember that Plus includes the daily gratuities, Internet access, fresh brewed coffee and lattes, and up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day (6AM to 6AM).

3 hours ago, Fayecruises said:

I was just amazed that the difference between the standard and the plus is $6000  per person   

Plus is $50/day more than standard. For the number of days on a world cruise, that adds up.

As pointed out above, that does include the daily gratuities ($14.50/day for most cabins) and Internet ($10/day ($5 if Platinum or Elite status)). So if you would not be consuming at least $25 of beverages a day/person, it would not be worth the cost.

So for a 120 day world cruise, gratuities would be $1740/person and Internet would be $1200/person ($600 if Platinum/Elite). If two people in the cabin can share a single device at a time Internet package, then without the Plus package, only one Internet package would be needed

If not Platinum/Elite at the start of the cruise, you would become at least Platinum before the last segment of the world cruise.

7 hours ago, Fayecruises said:

Ditto what caribill sez.  You gotta put the pencil to it. 

14 hours ago, Fayecruises said:

I thought (and I could be way wrong, since I've never done a WC) that the grats were included for the WC on Princess. Maybe, they changed it?

For some, maybe on shorter sailings, where it doesn't add up to such a large total, a coffee a mixed drink, juice or water...  That would very easily get you over the additional dollar amount.   

It just varies per person.

If I am going to drink tap water, ships available coffee, with no specialty lattes etc,  no real number mixed drinks, wine.  Then of course, no need to pay.

Different choices for all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Yeah what is it with American's and starbucks? The most over-rated coffee in the world lol. We hardly have any Starbucks in NZ because we're coffee snobs haha. 🙂 

Starbucks has convinced their patrons that strong, bitter and burned tasting coffee is the hallmark of "high quality" coffee.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

I am on Sky princess in a fortnight.  I have Princess Plus .

What are my choices for coffee?

Would all forms of coffee / hot chocolate always be included in the Princess Plus package?

You can have any sort of coffee for free,  wherever it is served.  We tend to use the International Cafe when we want a coffee. We never, ever, have coffee in the buffet !

All forms  of  coffee/hot chocolate are included in the PP package.

18 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I thought (and I could be way wrong, since I've never done a WC) that the grats were included for the WC on Princess. Maybe, they changed it?

They used to open up world cruises with a promotion that if you booked the entire cruise (all segments), then you would get free gratuities.

Since they hope in general that 50% of passengers will book the Plus package and 25% will book the Premier package, both of which include gratuities, there is little incentive for Princess to offer free gratuities anymore.