eclipse still in port 10;25pm on 28th ???????

c-legs

Yes

Tug operators on strike. They refuse to remove fuel barge. I have a friend onboard. She suggested on another social media site that they may not sail until tomorrow.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/crews-strike-seaspan-s-tugboat-operations-at-canada-s-bc-ports#:~:text=The captains and other crew,collective bargaining agreement with Seaspan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

Yes

Tug operators on strike. They refuse to remove fuel barge. I have a friend onboard. She suggested on another social media site that they may not sail until tomorrow.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/crews-strike-seaspan-s-tugboat-operations-at-canada-s-bc-ports#:~:text=The captains and other crew,collective bargaining agreement with Seaspan.

Can't that barge just be pushed out of the way or towed by other vessels?

Re moving barge: probably not.  The thing can't just float around the pier area and does not move on its own AFAIK

Compensation? Why does everyone immediately want money.  This is not X's issue

I'm not on the ship. It's 3AM YVR time and my friend is likely sleeping  but if she posts again and I have time  I'll report back.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Can't that barge just be pushed out of the way or towed by other vessels?

not how it works . Tug boats have power that others don't plus there are liability issues. Also doing such a thing would damage another type of vessel

9 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

not how it works . Tug boats have power that others don't plus there are liability issues. Also doing such a thing would damage another type of vessel

If I understand it right then these boats serve no other purpose at the moment than to be in the way. It's the barge operators problem if the barge get damaged when they take part in a strike action and are towed/pushed.

1 minute ago, Fly and Sail said:

If I understand it right then these boats serve no other purpose at the moment than to be in the way. It's the barge operators problem if the barge get damaged when they take part in a strike action and are towed/pushed.

only tugs are built to push and pull other vessels. Any other type of boat will be damaged.

the barge may have been just left there by the tugs when the strike started

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

So, do the passengers get compensation?
Hard on Celebrity, as Eclipse cruises have already been impacted due to barnacle debacle.

I guess passengers could try and get compensated by the tug operators.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stavy said:

Has the ship been able to start their cruise?  We are on September 16 solstice out of Vancouver. Hope we won’t be affected…

Nope… we have friends on board… we’re supposed to board this Sunday so hope they get it figured out. What a bummer for those aboard now!

15 minutes ago, rudedoggy87 said:

I wonder why the Eclipse is the ship that drew the lucky straw to be targeted? All the other ships came and went yesterday. Disney Wonder just docked this morning (on time) next to Eclipse.

Prob because they couldn’t just leave with the fuel barge alongside. Otherwise I’m sure Eclipse would’ve been long gone. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

There are 3 other tug companies there.  You think X could deliver a suitcase of cash to one of them and get things rolling again!

That’s a incentive to stage a slow down or strike again.