Cruise Stops in Orlando and Miami

rjrpar

58 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

FYI - I just googled to see what it was, and the website says it's closed for a maintenance project. Exploration Tower | VisitSpaceCoast.com

Bummer...I hope that does not mean "closed down permanently".   They tossed a lot of $$ into that thing.  😮  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I suspect Royal associates Orlando and Port Canaveral , so folks not familiar with the area know what airport to book flights to.  

I should hope people are smarter than that and can Google airports on their own.  😮  

Melbourne has an airport near there also, and so does Sanford.  

So why don't they call Galveston port "Houston"?   Or why not Cape Liberty "Newark"??  🤔

My post is to let pax know on port stops that they will not be stepping off the ship and right into Disney World's front gate.  😉 

• Like 4

On 9/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, reallyitsmema said:

Oasis will not dock at terminal 5, that class only docks at terminal 1.

When we embarked on Mariner in July (at Term 5), Oasis came in and docked at Terminal 6(?).  I believe it was Harmony at Terminal 1.  In fact, the poster you quoted even said "near terminal 5". 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, reallyitsmema said:

Oasis will not dock at terminal 5, that class only docks at terminal 1.

There are times when another Royal ship is docked at Terminal 1 (Harmony or Independence). Then Oasis docks at Terminal 6 during her port of call (not Terminal 5, sorry about that). If Terminal 1 is open, then Oasis will dock there.

image.png.9ad66f8d1ca90d6b8d38f17a44b0cd43.png

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:22 PM, nelblu said:

Just like Florence and Rome they are some 1.5 hours from nearest port, but itinerary lists the cities and not the ports. 😜

Even worse, if ships call in Warnemünde in Germany, most itineraries say "Berlin" which is landlocked as well and a 3 hour trainride away.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:20 AM, sailor05 said:

Looks like we'll be at terminal 1 on the Oasis in October. Is there any bars/pubs within walking distance? Really not interested in the leaving the port area. Been there MANY times.

We like Fishlips Bar & Grill, it's pretty close to Terminal 1. They have a second floor deck with great views of the waterway and the ships. Their food is very good as well.

If we vacation in Orlando, we usually try to get in an afternoon trip to Cocoa Beach to visit Fishlips and do some cruise ship watching.

https://www.fishlipswaterfront.com/

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, island lady said:

I don't want to be adopted by the mouse...he has his large white mitts into too much already.  Even the ad Orlando had on TV last year, which claimed the "Beaches of Orlando" (AKA Tampa/Clearwater beach 45 miles away) had to be changed after they got into trouble for that.  

Orlando...you are in the middle of the state...no port, no beach.  😉 

Hey, at least UCF knows it’s in Central Florida, unlike USF NOT being in south Florida hahaha

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brandis said:

We like Fishlips Bar & Grill, it's pretty close to Terminal 1. They have a second floor deck with great views of the waterway and the ships. Their food is very good as well.

If we vacation in Orlando, we usually try to get in an afternoon trip to Cocoa Beach to visit Fishlips and do some cruise ship watching.

https://www.fishlipswaterfront.com/

We enjoy Grills, a stones throw from the aft of the ship, for pre boarding Bloody Marys on the dock. 😉 

Ya know, the OP question does bring up a good point.  We've made plans in certain ports and found when we arrived, our dock was in a wholly different place than expected, sometimes miles away, causing us to cancel things.  We haven't found a good source of information on the actual dock on any given itinerary. Good info on the ports themselves perhaps, but not the docks where any given ship might port.  Anyone know of a good source for this info, or where to look for a given booking?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinRon3 said:

Ya know, the OP question does bring up a good point.  We've made plans in certain ports and found when we arrived, our dock was in a wholly different place than expected, sometimes miles away, causing us to cancel things.  We haven't found a good source of information on the actual dock on any given itinerary. Good info on the ports themselves perhaps, but not the docks where any given ship might port.  Anyone know of a good source for this info, or where to look for a given booking?  

The port authority often has information. However, berthing assignments can change at the last minute. 

1 hour ago, LinRon3 said:

Aside from Cruise Critic?  Try a simple google search "Where do cruise ships dock for <insert name of port"?

Or, if you mean the actual dock number, once you know the marina/town, google their port schedule. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

Port Canaveral is a weekly port stop for the southbound NJ/NY trips that then go on to the Bahamas.  

For the Miami port stop (we've done it), there was a free (crew) shuttle to downtown- we asked at the Excursions Desk about it.   I was in the mood for Peruvian shrimp soup- Chupe  de Camarones

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davy jones said:

What tours are offered in MIA?  Many of the tours on the RCI site are shown as ending at the airport.  Do they have versions of these tours that return to the ship?  

Hey, Davy Jones, I have been wondering the same thing since we booked?  We are on the 10/29 sailing and still have not booked any MIA excursions because the name includes "in transit."   Please keep in touch and let me know if you learn more.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, island lady said:

Ships do not dock in Orlando.  They would have to put wheels on the ship to drag it 45 miles inland.  Orlando is not even in the same county as Port Canaveral.  

Orlando is listed as the port of call. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Do you actually know where Orlando is?   Apparently RCI thinks it is on the coast.  

Yeah, walking distance to the gates of Disney from the ship.  😄 

Why don’t you let this go. We all know where Orlando is and don’t need your sarcastic comments

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rjrpar said:

Why don’t you let this go. We all know where Orlando is and don’t need your sarcastic comments

I did let it go...check the quote just about mine.   Was just answering them back.  

Enjoy your Orlando visit.  

• Like 1