Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

Why do we always have to hear about getting covid after a cruise.  Have people gotten covid after going to the grocery store, how about work.  You will get covid, if you are going to get it, where ever you are or where ever you have visited.  Cruise ships are no different.  First we complain about having to wear masks, then testing before a cruise, then not everyone wearing a mask although it is not required.  Covid is here to stay as is the cold or flu.  Can we just move on.  So tired of all this.  If you don't want to take a chance then stay home.  And no, I don't need a lot of judgemental people telling me what they think I need to do.  We will be on Quantum Sept. 19 and if we feel sick when we get home I can say we will not test.  Yea, I am one of those.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pcur said:

It makes a difference IMO.  I have read most of this thread, and what's missing is no one seems to be saying they tested positive after wearing a mask in the airport, on the plane, inside the cruise ship, inside buildings in port, and rinse/repeat going home.

This is what I have done since mid-January to mid-May I have flown 18 times one way, with all trips having stopovers, so that's at least 3 airports in 9 roundtrips.  I was on 3 cruise ships for a total of 58 days, and two trips were to see family with small unvaccinated children the first trip.

I've taken 21 COVID tests between my personal ones and those provided by the ships on consecutive cruises.

Countless ports and inside venues.  Exposure to literally thousands of people.

So, that's an complete inventory of my exposure, which was very high.  

All COVID tests were negative (double vaxxed and double boosted).

The difference from the people getting COVID?  I consistently wore a mask. Outside, no.  With known other passengers who were vaccinated, no.  Mostly vaccinated family members, no.  

To me it's just a basic policy:  if I'm inside somewhere with strangers who I don't KNOW they've been vaccinated (having a lower possibility of contracting the virus; NOT immune), then I wear a mask.  When I fly I never take it off except to eat or drink. I put it on when I walk in the airport, and take it off when I walk into my hotel room or get in my family's car.

My point is if one is not consistent, then one is exposed.  I finally found that I could fly and NOT come down with a respiratory infection:  something that happened almost 100% of the time before I wore masks.

Just an explanation; just my opinion; everyone should make their own decisions.  I just don't like being sick.  Period. 

You can't make that conclusion based on this thread.  When masks were mandatory, there were still people coming home with it from cruises, flights, etc.  I've also seen posts by people who wore masks and caught it.   As I said, we never wear masks and we haven't caught it in 5 cruises and 5 beach vacations where we eat out every meal.

• Like 5

The real issue with cruises these days, especially longer ones and B2B, is that COVID is easy to catch on a cruise and with the various cruise line protections ending (if you test positive on the cruise you've lost the rest of the cost of your cruise, no more prorated refund) it can be an expensive and unenjoyable experience.

If you catch COVID while at home, you have better access to medical care if you need it and even if you don't you won't be stuck in your cabin.

• Like 1

We have been on 3 cruises since the restart soon to be 4.  We do wear masks ( we are one of the few) in crowded areas, elevators, planes, airports, excursions that require buses.  

We’ve each had covid, separately.  We got it from family each time.  We didn’t isolate from each other, slept together etc.  it’s strange we didn’t give it to each other.  I’ve quit trying to figure it out.  

We prefer to mask, it’s no big deal to us.  If we still get it so be it.  We’ve done our part but we won’t let it stop us from traveling. Masking makes us more comfortable but we know it may not prevent it. 

• Like 3

Three out of nine of our family group on the July 8 Oasis cruise tested positive within 24 hrs of leaving the ship. All were boosted and tested negative to get on the cruise. My wife and I wore masks while being out in public she got it, I didn’t. Based on the feedback I saw from our group postings about 10% ended up positive post cruise.

Edited by Motorman23

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Why do we always have to hear about getting covid after a cruise.  Have people gotten covid after going to the grocery store, how about work.  You will get covid, if you are going to get it, where ever you are or where ever you have visited.  Cruise ships are no different.  First we complain about having to wear masks, then testing before a cruise, then not everyone wearing a mask although it is not required.  Covid is here to stay as is the cold or flu.  Can we just move on.  So tired of all this.  If you don't want to take a chance then stay home.  And no, I don't need a lot of judgemental people telling me what they think I need to do.  We will be on Quantum Sept. 19 and if we feel sick when we get home I can say we will not test.  Yea, I am one of those.

Why do we look both ways before crossing a street? If you’re going to get hit, it doesn’t matter. 

You don’t say if you are vaxxed and boosted. 400 are still dying every day and thousands hospitalized — virtually all unvaccinated. If you are not, then good luck when you do get it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Got off Allure on 8/28 after 8 days with 5780 others.   On the FB page for this cruise many many people tested positive within days of getting off, some the day they disembarked.    We were told there were 90 plus cases on board during the cruise.   I avoided it probably because vaxed and double boosted, only went into WJ once when few there, got a separate table in MDR, did not attend parades and other very crowded venues, sat on aisle at all shows, washed and sanitized hands regularly.  Just normal precautions IMHO.  I had a fun cruise and did not feel I missed out on anything taking these precautions.   It's my 7th cruise since the restart.   I have 3 more booked through early 2023.    I believe Royal is moving too fast just like all the others, but I also will do what I can to protect myself and won't stop cruising.    I think allowing unvaxed onboard is a mistake, as is not continuing to serve people in WJ, and eliminating the testing and resum9ing parades and other mass events onboard.   These are small things that can keep numbers down.   Cruises are by definition very densely populated venues for an extended period of time and they cannot be compared to going to the grocery store IMO.   I would prefer slowing down, but I know much of this is a financial decision for a very stressed industry, and I will live with their decisions.   If cases get too high onboard and start costing them too much, then I foresee them stepping back again.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pcur said:

It makes a difference IMO.  I have read most of this thread, and what's missing is no one seems to be saying they tested positive after wearing a mask in the airport, on the plane, inside the cruise ship, inside buildings in port, and rinse/repeat going home.

This is what I have done since mid-January to mid-May I have flown 18 times one way, with all trips having stopovers, so that's at least 3 airports in 9 roundtrips.  I was on 3 cruise ships for a total of 58 days, and two trips were to see family with small unvaccinated children the first trip.

I've taken 21 COVID tests between my personal ones and those provided by the ships on consecutive cruises.

Countless ports and inside venues.  Exposure to literally thousands of people.

So, that's an complete inventory of my exposure, which was very high.  

All COVID tests were negative (double vaxxed and double boosted).

The difference from the people getting COVID?  I consistently wore a mask. Outside, no.  With known other passengers who were vaccinated, no.  Mostly vaccinated family members, no.  

To me it's just a basic policy:  if I'm inside somewhere with strangers who I don't KNOW they've been vaccinated (having a lower possibility of contracting the virus; NOT immune), then I wear a mask.  When I fly I never take it off except to eat or drink. I put it on when I walk in the airport, and take it off when I walk into my hotel room or get in my family's car.

My point is if one is not consistent, then one is exposed.  I finally found that I could fly and NOT come down with a respiratory infection:  something that happened almost 100% of the time before I wore masks.

Just an explanation; just my opinion; everyone should make their own decisions.  I just don't like being sick.  Period. 

This is absolutely not a criticism, I respect your policy and resolve to do all you can to avoid Covid.  But…  I hated the on again, off again mask wearing on ships.  And I found them very uncomfortable when I did wear them, which was everywhere they were required from the very beginning of the pandemic.  But, if I had to choose between all of those days of mask-wearing (58 on board ships alone) and, say, four days of mild Covid, I think I would prefer the four days of being sick.  I realize that many people are far more sick for far longer, and again, not trying to be offensive in any way.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

Got off Allure on 8/28 after 8 days with 5780 others.   On the FB page for this cruise many many people tested positive within days of getting off, some the day they disembarked.    We were told there were 90 plus cases on board during the cruise.   I avoided it probably because vaxed and double boosted, 

You were part of the 98.4% that avoided it onboard. 

We were on the Oasis out of NJ in May and on my last day had a tickle in my throat. It bloomed into a ~2.5 day cold. My Wife also had about a 2 day cold. We both tested positive for Covid. Our 2 children, who remained in close contact with us both on the cruise and in our home, were negative the entire time.

We do not seek out covid for fun, but we've resolved to live our lives, trust science (actual science) and get vaxxed and as appropriate boosted, live generally healthy lifestyles and move on.

My Wife and I are going back on the Oasis leaving 9/11, and we'll not mask, or avoid people but will practice proper hygiene. 

8 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Good for you for taking personal responsibility for your health, that's pretty much the essence of what most are trying to say. You are more than welcome to wear a mask wherever you want just don't expect others to wear one if they don't want to. 

That was my sentiment, too, in my last sentence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

This is absolutely not a criticism, I respect your policy and resolve to do all you can to avoid Covid.  But…  I hated the on again, off again mask wearing on ships.  And I found them very uncomfortable when I did wear them, which was everywhere they were required from the very beginning of the pandemic.  But, if I had to choose between all of those days of mask-wearing (58 on board ships alone) and, say, four days of mild Covid, I think I would prefer the four days of being sick.  I realize that many people are far more sick for far longer, and again, not trying to be offensive in any way.

I can see your point of view.  My situation is I am regularly around immune compromised people, and also friends that get sick for 3 weeks if they get COVID, even being vaxxed and boosted.  I do not want to give up these friendships, and my conscience won't let me take the chance of carrying the virus to them.  So, my answer is I get to travel and not get sick, and I get my friends and they don't get sick.  It's not just about me.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Did someone force you to read this thread?  If so, please complain and ask for a refund 🤣

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

You were part of the 98.4% that avoided it onboard. 

But the more alarming part is that many, many more ended up positive the day they got off or the next.   One person posted that 8 of their 10 got sick the day they left or the next day.   So to become ill that quickly, it did happen on the cruise.   And this was before they start allowing unvaxed to cruise and allow people to not test.   

16 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

But the more alarming part is that many, many more ended up positive the day they got off or the next.   One person posted that 8 of their 10 got sick the day they left or the next day.   So to become ill that quickly, it did happen on the cruise.   And this was before they start allowing unvaxed to cruise and allow people to not test.   

Vax vs. unvax  is completely irrelevant  (other than making us that got vaxxed look like snobs).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 4

On 9/4/2022 at 8:41 AM, BND said:

Five cruises since restart (Nov/Dec b2b, Apr b2b and July) and DH and I haven't caught it.  We also don't mask unless required and have been out and about except for when almost everything was temporarily closed in 2020.  There are a lot of us who have cruised in the last year without catching it.  I personally know several.   

4 so far and haven’t caught COVID on any. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

3yorkies~ THIS is our plan for our cruise in 10 days. Just general precautions like we do in our everyday lives. I am a nurse and so far have avoided it (unless we've had it and been asymptomatic) and hope to continue my streak!

pcur~I totally agree with you. Some do not have the immune system to fight it like we healthy ones do. Those are the ones I worry most about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SchoolNurseMom said:

pcur~I totally agree with you. Some do not have the immune system to fight it like we healthy ones do. Those are the ones I worry most about. 

Ahhhh, you nailed it, SchoolNurseMom:  we ALL should worry about them. 

I'm a "it takes a village" type of person.  Whenever I help someone, like the lady at the grocery store who just couldn't get the heavy 24-pack of sparkling water out of the too-tightly stocked shelf, and she said thank you.  I told her my standard response to anyone who says that, "You're welcome, it takes a village".  Reminds people we are all in this together:  whatever "this" might be.

Safe travels.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

4 so far and haven’t caught COVID on any. 

Same with me, plus theater and sporting events. I haven’t even gotten a booster yet. But I have to by next month to go to Spain. 🙄

The way I see it is if some feel better masking up, then they aren’t hurting anyone. I will continue to live my life as I always have. I prefer to get some germs. Helps with my immunity.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, Jadesmom69 said:

I just got off Explorer of the Seas last Sunday and had a great time, but starting feeling sick that morning and immediately tested positive for Covid within an hour of leaving the ship.  I understand this was the chance I took when cruising, but it seems like a good amount of other people also tested positive within a couple of days of leaving the ship.  I was wondering if people on other ships recently had a similar experience.  Thanks

Fully vaccinated and double boosted here! Got off Adventure mid May and wife got sick covid19 on ride home and got paxlovid and recovered. I got covid19 shortly after and paxlovid recovered and rebound covid19 and still suffering long covid19 now. Supposedly 150 were quarantine onboard and not sure how many other passengers got covid19. It’s terrible and no joke if you get it!

• Like 3

I am all for helping out my fellow citizen, but I believe that people who have severe health issues, such as being immunocompromised, are always going to need to be in charge of their own health just as I am with my own.  I had "original recipe" COVID in November 2020 and luckily for me, it was just a head cold.  I've since been vaccinated and boosted, and have been exposed to Delta and Omicron multiple times, but so far I have not been infected by those variants.   Ironically, I've had a head cold since last week.  I've test every day - all and negative.  Still, because I obviously have "something", just as I would have three years ago, I will limit my contact with the public.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Same with me, plus theater and sporting events. I haven’t even gotten a booster yet. But I have to by next month to go to Spain. 🙄

The way I see it is if some feel better masking up, then they aren’t hurting anyone. I will continue to live my life as I always have. I prefer to get some germs. Helps with my immunity.

I sure hope you get the right "germs" to help with your immunity and not the wrong ones ☺️

• Haha 2

I've been on 2 cruises this year. April was a solo, no COVID and June with the family and no COVID. April cruise I wore mask while embarking and disembarking as those were the rules then. No other time.  June cruise we all did wear masks when we were stuck in the "loading area' in beautiful Bayonne, NJ when Oasis pulled away from the deck for over an hour before it came back to let another ship out of the dockyard. No more masks the rest of the cruise. 

My husband did get COVID when he went to a convention and masks were not required.

My teens just started school with the 1 really sick. We were sure it was COVID. Nope!  Sinus infection.  Tested at home and later in week at dr. office.  She is fine now.  Other had sore throat and turned out  was sitting eating lunch at school with a friend who did end up with COVID.  But no COVID for her.

You just don't know.....