Happy trails to you

Petoonya

Used to post on this board quite a bit. Our last cruise was an 18 day Wind Spirit Tahiti in August which is the reason that I’ve been absent for a while. The cruise was a repeat for us as we’ve done the 18 day several times. I highly recommend. My husband however did poorly on it. I’ve spoken before about his dementia. It’s now bad enough that he had great difficulty with this cruise. Just emailed my Oceania agent asking her to cancel our 2023 O cruises. Very 😢 

I’ll still be reading and watching. I know excellent Tahiti independent snorkel tour providers, day rooms in Papeete, car rentals- stuff like that for Tahiti. I like “dayuse.com” for day rooms at LAX! I still know the R ships fairly well, but outside of that I’m not much help.

I loved cruising Oceania! It was always dreamlike as soon as we were onboard. Have to keep “maybe” on the mind and keep positive. I’m “only” 70, and life dashes on. Enjoy the hell out of your cruises! Best to everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Used to post on this board quite a bit. Our last cruise was an 18 day Wind Spirit Tahiti in August which is the reason that I’ve been absent for a while. The cruise was a repeat for us as we’ve done the 18 day several times. I highly recommend. My husband however did poorly on it. I’ve spoken before about his dementia. It’s now bad enough that he had great difficulty with this cruise. Just emailed my Oceania agent asking her to cancel our 2023 O cruises. Very 😢 

I’ll still be reading and watching. I know excellent Tahiti independent snorkel tour providers, day rooms in Papeete, car rentals- stuff like that for Tahiti. I like “dayuse.com” for day rooms at LAX! I still know the R ships fairly well, but outside of that I’m not much help.

I loved cruising Oceania! It was always dreamlike as soon as we were onboard. Have to keep “maybe” on the mind and keep positive. I’m “only” 70, and life dashes on. Enjoy the hell out of your cruises! Best to everyone.

We'll miss you 😢, but do continue to contribute your knowledge to this board. You were a great contributor.

• Like 1

Petoonya, I was looking forward to  meeting you on the Regatta next April from Papeete to LA.  I am so sorry that your husband is unable to cruise anymore.  I hope for the best for you and your husband.

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear it Petoonya. I love reading your posts on the Windstar board. After I read your post about bringing a carry-on full of dog food for the starving dogs in Tahiti, I  decided you were my very favorite person on Cruise Critic. 

As you care for your husband be sure to take good care of yourself too.

• Like 2

I can only imagine how difficult this is for you both. My DH Kenneth just passed away the beginning of March and he had dementia as well as Parkinson's. If I might suggest a book that really helped me "The 36 Hour Day". It was so helpful and so many ideas and ways to help you care for him. There are a lot of resources out there and please lean on your friends and family for support. Best to you both.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I am so very sorry that you are experiencing this. I have had this experience as well. You must remember to take care of yourself and put yourself first once in a while. If that means taking a solo cruise for a week, just to give yourself a break...then do it.  There are many short term options for your husband which you and he may find acceptable.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the caring thoughts! Warm my heart.

Not leaving! Just being quiet, and I'll surely pop up when Tahiti is the topic 🙂

Some thoughtful friends here. Host Jazzbeau, LHT, and Avalong- my dear friend, to others who've posted and more..

1985rz1, you've always touched me with your thoughtful, caring, amusing posts!

Life is wonderful, I'm healthy and strong, and expect to cruise again one of these days so look for me. Jeez, I can even still put snow chains on my tires! I'll be posting 🙂

Love to everyone!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I am so very sorry that you are experiencing this. I have had this experience as well. You must remember to take care of yourself and put yourself first once in a while. If that means taking a solo cruise for a week, just to give yourself a break...then do it.  There are many short term options for your husband which you and he may find acceptable.

Thanks so much! Can tell you've been there. Family will be good to me with help with dh. Feel encouraged that it'll be ok to take a break by myself. Thanks again 🙂

• Like 1

Petoonya, I’m so sorry you & your DH are going through this. I understand how hard this is-I had to cancel our Tahiti/LA cruise in April due to my husband’s rapid progression. I wish we’d been able to meet up, but maybe when we start traveling again in the future. Hang in there, I know you’re medically trained & now focusing on just one patient, but be sure to take care of yourself as well.

Blessings 🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Life is wonderful, I'm healthy and strong, and expect to cruise again one of these days so look for me. Jeez, I can even still put snow chains on my tires! I'll be posting 🙂

Love to everyone!

Great to hear – if our snowbird plans ever fall through I'll give you a call to put chains on my car [I'm very healthy, but I've never been able to do that!!!]

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Oh Jazz- I'm a whiz with winter proofing. We live on a beach in Oregon where the winter wind can blow off the ocean 130 mph. So I can seal your dang windows in a flash too.

But driving on ice and snow even with chains.....???

I take a different approach:  we get out of Dodge [Gotham, NYC...] in early-January before winter really sets in and only come back for Holy Week because the Choir needs us – and when Easter is at its earliest in the cycle we may even skip that!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for all the caring thoughts! Warm my heart.

Not leaving! Just being quiet, and I'll surely pop up when Tahiti is the topic 🙂

Some thoughtful friends here. Host Jazzbeau, LHT, and Avalong- my dear friend, to others who've posted and more..

1985rz1, you've always touched me with your thoughtful, caring, amusing posts!

Love to everyone!

Petoonya-  You are much too kind, but thanks for the remarks.  

• Like 1