Changes to Room Service and Dr. Seuss Breakfast Returning

Lee Cruiser

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

We never order breakfast for room service, so np there for us.  We do sometimes order the chicken fingers, sweet potato fries and chicken wings which all come with a nominal charge.  We have never been disappointed in the quality of the food - always brought hot and fresh to our cabin.  For the 15 or so dollars we are charged we find it well worth it.  Whether other people will find it worth it or not,  who knows.  Cost on everything have been going up - doesn't surprise me that CCL is raising prices on room service or wifi.

Personally, if I was going to spend an extra (roughly) $15 for food on a cruise, I’d go for a meal at JiJi’s or Cucina or even Bonsai Sushi or the Seafood Shack over room service wings, fries & tenders.  Maybe that’s just me, though…

• Like 6

Just now, Drew B 58 said:

Personally, if I was going to spend an extra (roughly) $15 for food on a cruise, I’d go for a meal at JiJi’s or Cucina or even Bonsai Sushi or the Seafood Shack over room service wings, fries & tenders.  Maybe that’s just me, though…

There are times those places aren't open - like for lunch.  We usually order these munchies around 2 or 3 pm when we get back on the ship from one of the ports.  (Last cruise bonsai sushi did not open until 4 - same with seafood shack.). And those munchies fed 3 of us, so to me $5 each is a bargain - lol!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

There are times those places aren't open - like for lunch.  We usually order these munchies around 2 or 3 pm when we get back on the ship from one of the ports.  (Last cruise bonsai sushi did not open until 4 - same with seafood shack.). And those munchies fed 3 of us, so to me $5 each is a bargain - lol!  

Ah!  I misunderstood.  I was thinking for one person.  That makes sense.

1 hour ago, UpstateCruizer said:

I remember those changes to the Captain’s cocktail party. When one of the cruise directors commented not many people showed up I asked why they didn’t advertise the party in the fun times…..he said “ Do you think we are crazy?” Well of course not since most people had no clue what a farewell party was and the complimentary drinks. That fell in line with having the $1 off to celebrate captains meet and greets. That didn’t last long either. 

At the time I had a friend on the CD's staff (now the Fun Squad) who said Carnival Corporated prohibited them from promoting it, other than listing it as an upcoming event in the Fun Times earlier in the week and one line on the daily schedule in the day of.

As popular as the Captain's party was, does anyone think there would have been "lack of guest interest" if they promoted a party with free drinks the same way they promote Inch of Green, art auctions, the spa, the steakhouse,  etc.?

Carnival thinks they're sly with their planted obsolescence schemes to ultimately cut amenities and death by a thousand cuts so they can ultimately blame "lack of guest interest" but some of us have seen it multiple times, are on to their game, and are voting with our feet and wallets.

• Like 4

Another cutback, another PIA. The way they word their cutback bs makes it sound like this is what passengers want. They obviously think we are ALL idiots.  The room service trays in the hall have food on them because, as stated above, the food was not good!  The $ breakfast items were worse than awful! 

We enjoy a BLT or other sandwich from room service for lunch, snack or dinner sometimes.  Only source of potato chips. The veggies & dip have really been missed by us.

The buffet the last 2 cruises was horrible. The MDR food items are now Barbie doll size servings.  Yeah, we’re moving on. What Carnival has left now is nothing like it was 12 years ago. Nothing special, nothing unique, nothing for us to entice others to join us. We’ll pay more for a better experience.  Thanks ……  

Poof ……

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

I haven’t sailed NCL, but by reputation, my impression is that they have always had less included and offered more for an up charge.  If that is the case, then the product they are keeping “consistent” is more in line with what Carnival and Princess are moving towards.  At that point, it comes down to price and preference…

I've sailed on NCL a bit. In my experience they have MORE included (drinks, spec dining, wifi usually). In addition, on newer ships there is a sports bar with complimentary bar food and serves as an alternate free dining venue with offerings Ike prime rib and seafood buckets. However, IMHO NCLs mdr food is not as good as Carnival. Theater entertainment is vastly superior on NCL as well. But......you do pay more up front for all that. But to my point, they have maintained that experience.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

...It's interesting that people mention wasted food.  I think people would waste less food if the food served (room service, buffet, etc.) were better quality.  You can't deliver terrible food to me and expect me to eat it.  If they took wasted food as lack of interest maybe they should be asking what people think of the food. 

Not all the wasted Room Service food is from what you describe here.  Certainly some of it is.  And I am no proponent of eating something unappealing.  But a lot of the food waste is from drunks and otherwise tired or lazy or forgetful people late at night that order it because it's free, because it's "no skin off their nose" if it is wasted - people who order it then pass out or leave the cabin and don't eat it.  And some of it is from unsupervised kids (often in their own cabins, with the parents in another cabin) that get a kick out of ordering a bunch of "free" Room Service food and then don't eat it.  And there are many other scenarios in which some people might order and not consume the food because, again, the waste of it is "no skin off their nose".  If they are paying for each of those food items, I am certain that many of those people would order less (or not at all), and thus waste less, because then they have "skin in the game". 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Very true.  Carnival had already scaled back room service long before Covid.  They had essentially said this same thing before, but when there was such a backlash they changed it to room service from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. instead.  Now, Covid has given them an excuse to go forward with that original plan from years ago.

COVID also gave them an excuse to go from optional once a day stateroom service to mandatory stateroom once a day stateroom service.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Not all the wasted Room Service food is from what you describe here.  Certainly some of it is.  And I am no proponent of eating something unappealing.  But a lot of the food waste is from drunks and otherwise tired or lazy or forgetful people late at night that order it because it's free, because it's "no skin off their nose" if it is wasted - people who order it then pass out or leave the cabin and don't eat it.  And some of it is from unsupervised kids (often in their own cabins, with the parents in another cabin) that get a kick out of ordering a bunch of "free" Room Service food and then don't eat it.  And there are many other scenarios in which some people might order and not consume the food because, again, the waste of it is "no skin off their nose".  If they are paying for each of those food items, I am certain that many of those people would order less (or not at all), and thus waste less, because then they have "skin in the game". 

Well for one thing room service hasn't been free after 10PM for years now.

For another, I am not convinced that there is any more waste from room service than any other food venue on Carnival.

It's plainly obvious to me the only reason that room service is no longer free is not because of waste, but because it's more expensive for Carnival to provide that service than it is to make everyone line up on Lido.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I remember when they tried to charge for room service a few years ago. Wow it didn't take them long to about-face on that. I doubt they will back down this time though.

I doubt it will change this time as well.  Covid has become the code word for every business that makes changes to their products or services.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

COVID also gave them an excuse to go from optional once a day stateroom service to mandatory stateroom once a day stateroom service.

While increasing the daily gratuity rate.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Well for one thing room service hasn't been free after 10PM for years now.

For another, I am not convinced that there is any more waste from room service than any other food venue on Carnival.

It's plainly obvious to me the only reason that room service is no longer free is not because of waste, but because it's more expensive for Carnival to provide that service than it is to make everyone line up on Lido.

You're right, Carnival did something towards curtailing the late night food wastage years ago.  All of what I said, though, still holds true, regardless of the time of day in which the wastage is occurring.

And again, you're right: there is certainly a lot of food wastage in other onboard venues.  But here is one area where they can make a small change that saves money and cuts down on some of that waste.  Just because there is other waste occurring doesn't mean that cutting waste in one area is pointless.

• Like 1

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

You're right, Carnival did something towards curtailing the late night food wastage years ago.  All of what I said, though, still holds true, regardless of the time of day in which the wastage is occurring.

And again, you're right: there is certainly a lot of food wastage in other onboard venues.  But here is one area where they can make a small change that saves money and cuts down on some of that waste.  Just because there is other waste occurring doesn't mean that cutting waste in one area is pointless.

I never get off a Carnival cruise wishing for more to eat but I do miss how things used to be.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I really enjoy afternoon free room service, and have on every cruise.  This will be SORELY missed.  I, for one, will just have to go find the deli (assuming its open) to replace it.

Some have reported the Deli on at least some ships lately has gone way downhill. Long lines, very slow service, and prepackaged, still partially frozen, food. That has not been my experience but I haven't cruised since May and Carnival seems to be moving at breakneck speed with the "guest preferences" lately.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Some have reported the Deli on at least some ships lately has gone way downhill. Long lines, very slow service, and prepackaged, still partially frozen, food. That has not been my experience but I haven't cruised since May and Carnival seems to be moving at breakneck speed with the "guest preferences" lately.

I can confirm this some of this. We just sailed on the Liberty and while the food was good, the wait for the deli was routinely over a half hour in line. 

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 1

I wonder how many of the angry people had to pull up Google to even find out what they are missing.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Agreed, I'm to the point in my life where I'd rather pay more and get an overall better experience than pay what I used to pay and get a materially worse experience.

Same here. I would totally pay double for my cruise for a sandwich brought to my room, pizza at 4 AM, and tablecloths at dinner. Enough is enough!

I always chuckle at the justifications for all of the FOMO. Room service is like $7. Some cruise lines are thousands more. If anything, I wish I'd eat less on a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

I can confirm this some of this. We just sailed on the Liberty and while the food was good, the wait for the deli was routinely over a half hour in line. 

I suspect it's going to get much worse in a few weeks as it will be the only place to get a sandwich and similar food once the room service menu goes away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

...and tablecloths at dinner.

Ah😢, tablecloths at dinner, oh how I miss them!  This is one of the many cutbacks for which I cannot DIY a workaround.

And, no, to all you who might snarkily suggest I bring my own:  I bring my own teabags, I bring my own mattress pad, I even bring my own butter now, but I won't be bringing my own tablecloth, thank you very much.😒

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

Ah😢, tablecloths at dinner, oh how I miss them!  This is one of the many cutbacks for which I cannot DIY a workaround.

And, no, to all you who might snarkily suggest I bring my own:  I bring my own teabags, I bring my own mattress pad, I even bring my own butter now, but I won't be bringing my own tablecloth, thank you very much.😒

You don't like the butter they serve?

1 hour ago, silvercrikhix said:

The room service trays in the hall have food on them because, as stated above, the food was not good!  The $ breakfast items were worse than awful! 

It has always been my opinion that this was part of the plan to end room service. Crap food that took you over an hour to get. Eventually you stop trying and Carnival says, see, no one orders room service anyway! Lets all forget the fact that it became so hard to use and so poor a product that the desire for room service had nothing to do with the decline. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You don't like the butter they serve?

Several years ago, and still true as of my last cruise (B2B Elation January 2020), they had switched from actual butter in individually-wrapped pats to a crock of whipped fake butter (margarine?) that was self-serve and communal.  Fake butter doesn't enter my house, nor my body when I can help it.  I have seen many people touch their hands to the edge of these crocks.  And I have seen too many fellow cruisers not wash their hands after using the restroom.  Ick.  No, thank you.🤢

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Several years ago, and still true as of my last cruise (B2B Elation January 2020), they had switched from actual butter in individually-wrapped pats to a crock of whipped fake butter (margarine?) that was self-serve and communal.  Fake butter doesn't enter my house, nor my body when I can help it.  I have seen many people touch their hands to the edge of these crocks.  And I have seen too many fellow cruisers not wash their hands after using the restroom.  Ick.  No, thank you.🤢

I am happy to report that is no longer the case! They now serve individual pats of butter in small silver dishes.

The butter crock thread is legendary.

• Like 2

I saw this coming months ago.  Carnival is slowly taking every opportunity to move passengers from complimentary food to paid options.  It is certainly a trend I don't appreciate as we used room service nearly every day.

• Like 1