Is Carnival really going to….

TRAYSEE

28 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Another way to look at it Shaky is that different cruise lines provide differing levels of service.  There are lines and cabins where one has an actual butler.

Yes, you're right.  I know.  I do cruise other lines and enjoy them and their suite perks.  On my Carnival cruises, though, I'm not looking for any of the bells and whistles which other lines offer and which Carnival never has. Certainly not wanting a butler here.  Just my usual Carnival cruise experience, part of which is regular ole Room Service (for which I am perfectly happy to pay) in the cabin type of my choosing, enjoyed in the way of my choosing that has absolutely no negative effect on any of my fellow cruisers (I promise I won't chew my Room Service food loudly on my balcony🤭).

Just in case there is still any mistake: I am not complaining here about the charges for Room Service or about anything, for that matter.  I am perfectly happy to pay for the Carnival-offered cruise experiences I enjoy.

ETA: In the post of mine that you quoted, I was simply trying to help another poster see why some might enjoy "sitting" in their "hotel rooms" onboard, since he expressed his lack of understanding (and judgment) about it.  I was not trying to imply in any way that I want Carnival to be something it is not.

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

If you read and understood what was being said in that exchange of posts, you'd realize that my post you quoted was defending myself against yet another baseless (and quite opposite to the truth) accusation made by some here with evidence of its utter fallacy.

There's nothing quite like taking the noble approach, only to have high-horsed ones like the following

23 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

And another thing - with my booking of high-end cabins, paying the higher gratuities that come with them, somewhat lavish onboard spending, and purchasing many Carnival Shore Excursions and add-on experiences over the years, one might argue that I am subsidizing others' cruise experiences, not the other way around, as you implied that I expect.  You know the type, book the cheapest room possible (sometimes with deeply discounted fares), and brag about a zero balance S&S account.  Some even smuggle booze, cabin-swap, remove tips, and indulge in other deceitful practices to save a few bucks at the expense of the cruiseline and fellow PAX.  So who is subsidizing whom?

Do you have any data in your scientific method to deduce which rooms types these people are? I have absolutely seen people engage in various "deceitful" practices in various room types. One of the wealthiest people I know is the first to remove his tips, throwing in another anecdotal example.

I'm sorry you read so deeply into my initial position. I even said it was fine if you preferred eating on your balcony. These threads usually involve "Carnival watered down the service, I'm going elsewhere." Then all of the reasons why a small amount of people need it. I was reinforcing that room service is generally recognized as a premium service (which you also agree on, so look at us, twins). I also commented on the other poster to state my preference. I apologize it hit so close to home. I also don't enjoy art shows, Cheers package, or FTTF. I'm sorry for whoever else's life I've ruined with that statement.

8 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If it was free, they are charging for it now above cruise fare. They have a mountain of debt to pay off.

That's not how it works.

Can you go into your boss and say, "I just got a huge new mortgage and a car loan, so you have to give me a raise"? The boss doesn't care.  You can ask for a raise for any reason (or no reason at all), but they will only give it to you if they think you are worth it.

Carnival is fully aware that their passengers don't care about its "mountain of debt". They are instituting additional charges because it believes enough passengers will think it is worth it to pay.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There's nothing quite like taking the noble approach, only to have high-horsed ones like the following

Do you have any data in your scientific method to deduce which rooms types these people are? I have absolutely seen people engage in various "deceitful" practices in various room types. One of the wealthiest people I know is the first to remove his tips, throwing in another anecdotal example.

I'm sorry you read so deeply into my initial position. I even said it was fine if you preferred eating on your balcony. These threads usually involve "Carnival watered down the service, I'm going elsewhere." Then all of the reasons why a small amount of people need it. I was reinforcing that room service is generally recognized as a premium service (which you also agree on, so look at us, twins). I also commented on the other poster to state my preference. I apologize it hit so close to home. I also don't enjoy art shows, Cheers package, or FTTF. I'm sorry for whoever else's life I've ruined with that statement.

Sigh...  OK, fine, I'll try once again at using logic with you and assume I'm speaking to a reasonable and moderately intelligent person, and not just someone who wants to lie about me and attack me with personal insults. 

I NEVER said anything about anyone's wealth.  Nor did I mean to imply it.  I have absolutely no idea the net worth of any of the people to whom I was referring, nor do I care to.  It's none of my business and totally beside my point.  I was defending myself against your baseless claim of expecting my "premium" experiences to be subsidized. 

The group of people to whom I referred when mentioning booking deeply discounted, cheapest accommodations while bragging about zero balance S&S I only know about from having met them onboard and from having read their posts on CC.  I have, I repeat: no knowledge nor desire to have knowledge of their income level.  It doesn't matter.  I was not implying they were "poor", as you stated before.  They could be a thousand times richer than I and my point is still valid. 

I don't care how rich or poor someone is.  Ever.  In any aspect of life.  Money or lack there of has never meant "better than" or "less than" to me and I resent the accusations of the opposite.

Just to be super clear: I have no judgments about people who decide to cruise this way.  They aren't affecting my enjoyment of my cruise in any way.  They can do them, and I'll do me.

And the "some" I mentioned that engage in deceitful cost-cutting practices are not necessarily the same people referenced above.  If my wording in that post implied that I thought all people who book cheap rooms and brag about no spending also break rules and cheat, I apologize for the lack of clarity in my language.  The deceitful practice people are the ones I have an issue with, which shows, I think, in my language.  I am an honest, ethical, rule-follower who hates dishonesty and cheating.  But that was also not my point in that post.  It was about how I am the opposite of expecting my cruise to be subsidized, as you had implied about me.

I don't care what rooms people book or how they spend their cruise, as long as they follow the rules and engage in simple decency towards their fellow PAX.  And I certainly don't think I'm better than any of them.

Edited by ShakyBeef
"some", not "others"
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

That's not how it works.

Can you go into your boss and say, "I just got a huge new mortgage and a car loan, so you have to give me a raise"? The boss doesn't care.  You can ask for a raise for any reason (or no reason at all), but they will only give it to you if they think you are worth it.

Carnival is fully aware that their passengers don't care about its "mountain of debt". They are instituting additional charges because it believes enough passengers will think it is worth it to pay.

$30B in debt does not magically disappear. Everything and anything they can charge for they will. Prices of everything going up, nickel and diming, you name it.

• Like 1

Just now, BoozinCroozin said:

$30B in debt does not magically disappear. Everything and anything they can charge for they will. Prices of everything going up, nickel and diming, you name it.

They raised prices because they think people will pay it.  it.  That is true whether they have debt or not.  

Every well-managed company's pricing model is based on maximizing revenue, regardless of their debt. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 10:34 AM, pc_load_letter said:

Meh, sitting in a room on a cruise is a waste, suite or not.

I'm making an assumption here.  I'm guessing you haven't been cruising for over 20 years, been on 40+ cruises, or ever stayed in a suite.  For some people the cruise experience evolves over time.  To each their own.  There is no right or wrong way to enjoy your vacation.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:54 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I hope trays will be provided on Lido so if one wants to bring food and drink for more than one person back to the room, they can.  My past waitressing skills were put to the test when I wanted to surprise my DDs with breakfast in bed and no trays were available.

We packed our own tray last cruise. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Good score!  The Spirit class has some great "special" cabin choices.

Big Spirit class fan.  While we only have the bowling alley this time, We've got 31 days total aboard in the next year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I really doubt they expect many to actually pay for room service. I'm sure a few will but most people are just going to go up to the buffet.

I doubt we would pay for Carnival's room service unless they add better selections and it arrives in a reasonable time and at the correct temperature.  Other cruise lines do just fine with room service.  It is clear that Carnival doesn't want to invest the time or manpower in the service.  We use room service on other lines, but other than coffee first thing in the morning, we just grab and go with whatever we can find on Carnival. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 5:54 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I hope trays will be provided on Lido so if one wants to bring food and drink for more than one person back to the room, they can.  My past waitressing skills were put to the test when I wanted to surprise my DDs with breakfast in bed and no trays were available.

I searched Goodwill, and brought my own tray. I carry it in a canvas tote bag, but found I mostly used the tote bag for the silverware and my beverage tumbler with a leakproof lid. I also prepack packets of salt/pepper,sugar and ketchup packets for in cabin use or on areas far away from lido like the BBQ on aft ten of Radiance. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, adventuredancer said:

off topic. what is a bowling alley cabin

It is a regular priced balcony room that is configured differently from other balcony rooms.  Located in the aft, the balcony is about 2.5 times the size of a regular balcony.  Not on every Carnival ship.  We just had a bowling alley balcony room on Sunshine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

It is a regular priced balcony room that is configured differently from other balcony rooms.  Located in the aft, the balcony is about 2.5 times the size of a regular balcony.  Not on every Carnival ship.  We just had a bowling alley balcony room on Sunshine.

what do i look for in those?

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Here it is on Freedom's deck plans

bowlingbalcony.jpg.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

what do i look for in those?

If you find an itinerary that you want, check out the aft (back) of the ship on floors that have balconies.  Book that cabin!  I like that there is usually a chaise lounge chair on it where I can take a little nap with the ocean breezes lulling me to sleep.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 6:14 AM, shof515 said:

ive been on over 20+ cruises on multiple cruise lines and i never used room service. any i the only odd one? this room service change will have no effect on me

Dozens of cruise items don't affect different cruisers.  It doesn't mean any change for any item is noble.  For example, the majority of cruisers don't care of steam rooms (saunas) on cruises.  However, for us it's at least 25 % of entire cruise experience (I go there every day for 1.5 hours, and on see days I go twice).  Therefore, any change for that service affects us a lot (on couple cruises we had an unpleasant "surprise" when sauna was removed, and no one told us about that - the ships' deck plans still had it).  So, while, the room service change doesn't affect me either, it affects thousand of others.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

...So, while, the room service change doesn't affect me either, it affects thousand of others.

You must be mistaken.  According to someone here who's clearly an authority, Room Service is "something a dozen people find to be nice".  It can't possibly be thousands.  Perhaps you counted a few of those 12 people more than once?😉

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

You must be mistaken.  According to someone here who's clearly an authority, Room Service is "something a dozen people find to be nice".  It can't possibly be thousands.  Perhaps you counted a few of those 12 people more than once?😉

I like it!!!  Very nice!

• Thanks 1