Carnival Hub App Necessary?

MMfan14

I found the Hub App has become indispensable. Everything is right there, ability to scan activities over the whole cruise and check items of interest, ability to look at your statement, look at the dining room menu, and ability to make a dinner reservation while anywhere on the ship. Yes, one can find paper copies of the Fun Times. (It is now a simple single sheet of paper printed on both sides, not the four to six page brochure as it was a few yers ago.)  The Hub App information disappears after the cruise, so I do get a paper copy for post-cruise reference when I want to identify photos of performers or activities. We do not use the message feature. The Hub App should be installed before the cruise, but it can be installed on board if necessary.

I'm over 70 and find a smartphone now to be an indispensable part of everyday travel, whether it be getting driving directions to a destination, like the cruise terminal, or holding my airline boarding pass. I always have mine with me.

Edited by ahl
  • Like 5

What time do they have the simplified Fun Times available at Guest Services or the Coffee Shop? Is this something I could collect before heading off to bed for the next days activities? Or do they only put it out the next morning for that day? I love marking off what I want to do the next day.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, bguppies said:

Weirdest part was watching the usually hardworking crew, walking around like zombified American workers, staring at their phones when they were supposed to be working. (watched the guy at ther asian noodle place at lunch, check his phone 3-4 times in 5 minutes while he was making peoples noodles.)

Considering how easy it is for a crew member to get in trouble and even lose their job, I'm betting most of those looking at their phones were getting work related messages. On our last cruise were were talking with a crew member at breakfast whose contract was almost up. While we were talking she got a message on her phone. It was info about her new contract which would start in a couple of months. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

What time do they have the simplified Fun Times available at Guest Services or the Coffee Shop? Is this something I could collect before heading off to bed for the next days activities? Or do they only put it out the next morning for that day? I love marking off what I want to do the next day.

I was able to get the next day's Fun Times at the front desk before midnight most days. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 6:48 PM, Dixe Lee said:

Can the hub app be used without having an internet package? We weren’t planning on purchasing an internet package. I guess the days of checking our S&S accounts on the in-room TV’s are gone as well as purchasing shore excursions using the TV? Showing our age I guess 😳

I was on the Horizon in August, could still check account on the in-room TV.

As for me, I dislike using my phone on the cruise. I have a good digital camera and carry that for pics. My teens use their phones for photos, video, etc. so were more likely to carry them around all day (I did NOT buy the internet package). We mostly functioned without them. The first Seaday brunch I got quite  a shock when told I needed to have reserved the table on my phone, but the hostess was still extremely polite, took my sign and sail, and advised me to have a seat and wait. We always asked for menus in the dining room and they were willing to provide, though generally they only gave us one or two for our party of six. 

7 hours ago, Rudyard said:

Considering how easy it is for a crew member to get in trouble and even lose their job, I'm betting most of those looking at their phones were getting work related messages. On our last cruise were were talking with a crew member at breakfast whose contract was almost up. While we were talking she got a message on her phone. It was info about her new contract which would start in a couple of months. 

No.

Watched two guys setting up the buffet Sunday morning, stop and check the one guys phone and laugh at whatever they were checking out.

Then scroll a bit and laugh some more.

Went on for a few minutes until one of the ladies working down there started walking towards them and the one guy pocketed his phone.

Saw another guy while cleaning the railings on a stairwell early one morning leaning down in a corner scrolling through his phone for a couple of minutes, then pocket it and got back to work.

Also saw employees on their phone in the Alchemy bar area, Guys burger joint and the guy cooking in the Mongolian Wok station, while he was cooking. (that was actually impressive)

Phone out of his pocket repeatedly checking messages with one hand while cooking with a spatula in the other.

Edited by bguppies
  • Thanks 1

I guess the pressure from crew to use the HUB may differ based on ship, or venue, or crew member, or the alignment of the stars.

On our cruise, in the MDR the wait staff carried around menus and provided them automatically to folks who didn't have a device out.  For breakfast, brunch, and YTD, there were always people at the front desk checking in without the app.  We had set time dining, and one of the ladies at our table was a virulent anti-phone proponent.  She told us that she wouldn't be with us the next night because on a whim, she made reservations at the steakhouse.  Since she claims she is disconnected, I have to assume she didn't reserve using the HUB app.  My wife used the cabin phone (*gasp*) to make an appointment in the spa.

We did have our phones, used the app for many things, and loved its convenience.  Just not always.

The problem is, if a specialty dining venue, or one of the children's programs, or other activity requires HUB use, what do you do if you aren't connected?  Carnival has surprised me in the past, but it just doesn't seem Carnival-like to not have alternate options for those not using electronic devices.

• Like 1

I really hated the idea of using my phone all the time.  One of my favorite parts about cruising in years prior was putting it in my safe and not touching it again until the ship docked.  

That said... the Hub app is really nice.  I love being able to set event reminders, order "room service" anywhere on the ship and check my account balance without using the insanely slow TV app.  

I'm also one who absolutely hates waiting in lines and the online check in for meals saved us from the line that used to stretch well out of the MDR down nearby halls.

Even my dad, who absolutely does not adjust to technology at all, found it useful on the Alaska cruise, and loved looking over menus (he can be very picky) before deciding on dining for the evening.  

We still don't get the internet package, and find ourselves generally happy with the experience.  If you aren't sure, try it as you can always put your phones away later if you don't like it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Even my dad, who absolutely does not adjust to technology at all, found it useful on the Alaska cruise, and loved looking over menus (he can be very picky) before deciding on dining for the evening.  

I have to admit even though I didn't 100% like the experience, but the menus and funtimes for the entire cruise in advance (as soon as you board) was an incredinly nice feature.

I always ask for physical menus in dining room.  After the first night my wait staff has the menus waiting for us - no problem.  I use the hub app to check my account balance, and check-in at dining room.  That is it.  I pick up paper Funtime 6 a.m. at guest services on my way to gym.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:50 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I had no issues not using the Hub on Mardi Gras for any of the restaurants.  

It may have been because ours was a summer cruise and the ship was packed. But Chibang and Cucina Del Capitano both insisted that we use the app to reserve a table. It was during the dinner time rush and they were very busy so that may have been a factor. Maybe on cruises that aren’t during peak season or when it’s not a busy time of day for them they might be able to accommodate you. But both times when I asked for a table they said “Sure, what time is your reservation?” And when I said I didn’t have one and would like to be seated at a table or make a reservation for as soon as possible they said I should be able to do that on the app. When I said I forgot my phone in the cabin and could they help me make a reservation they indicated that it needed to be done on the HUB app. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 6:20 AM, Schoifmom said:

Is it absolutely necessary?  No.  Is it incredibly helpful?  Yes.

You can access the Fun Times on it rather than walking down to GS or the coffee shop every day for the printed version.  

You can check in for MDR meals (YTD, Seaday Brunch, Breakfast).

You can check your S&S account without going to GS or using the Kiosk.

You can access all menus for the entire cruise (not just that day's).

You can access the room service menu, instructions for VIFP items, spa menus, etc without asking your Room Steward to bring printed versions.

Yes, you can do all of these things the "old" way, but IMHO it is much more convenient using the app.

See I don't like having to use the app, for the simple reason that I dont' want to lug my phone around. I have always cruised to completely disconnect from technology, I feel way more refreshed during and after vacation. My husband will carry his around so he can look up stuff and then tell me LOL

On 9/28/2022 at 4:52 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

I really hated the idea of using my phone all the time.  One of my favorite parts about cruising in years prior was putting it in my safe and not touching it again until the ship docked.  

That said... the Hub app is really nice.  I love being able to set event reminders, order "room service" anywhere on the ship and check my account balance without using the insanely slow TV app.  

I'm also one who absolutely hates waiting in lines and the online check in for meals saved us from the line that used to stretch well out of the MDR down nearby halls.

We still don't get the internet package, and find ourselves generally happy with the experience.  If you aren't sure, try it as you can always put your phones away later if you don't like it. 

Everything you said I agree with. I didn't want to use my phone on the last cruise but it really does make it a lot easier. I enjoyed looking at the events in advance and marking which ones I wanted. And also making a reservation for anytime dining each night was very easy and convenient. I don't like standing around at the check-in desk.

You have to give Carnival credit. they have really made the Hub app an indispensable and great tool for cruising. For someone like me, who has to stay connected anyways; it's great to have my Fun Times, instant dining reservations, menus, account summary, phone, e-mail, and camera all right there in one spot. Much easier than carrying around different rolled up papers, going to check various menu boards, going to guest services for my account balance, having to call for room service from my actual room where I'm told it will be ready in another hour, etc.

I know some folks just want to or need to die on the hill of keeping their phones locked away. That's perfectly fine. But I definitely forsee the days really soon when they will not have any printed menus, fun times, or guides.

I bet you they'll still hand you a printed out port shopping guide without fail though.... 🤪

3 hours ago, Ralphinsc said:

I know some folks just want to or need to die on the hill of keeping their phones locked away. That's perfectly fine. But I definitely forsee the days really soon when they will not have any printed menus, fun times, or guides.

Yes, that is just the way things are going to go.

Personally, I am OK with it. My phone has become basically the only tool I need when going out in life, why not on ships?

• We now own a Tesla and with that I no longer carry keys unless I have to drive my truck (boo). I can do everything I need from my phone.
  • Most places thanks to COVID now accept tap-to-pay so I don't even have to carry my wallet on me in most circumstances.
  • I do all my banking on my phone. I only go to a branch to get money out for my cruises! Otherwise haven't been to a bank in years. I can even schedule my ATM withdrawals (also rare) directly from my phone and drive to the appropriate ATM and done.
  • I can do almost all communication for my work via my phone. I really only need to login for tools that I can't do on mobile easily (like closing tickets in Zendesk, running reports, etc).
  • I read endless books through Kindle and other e-readers versus a huge bookshelf and carrying books with me. 
  • Maps - I LOVE old school maps but Google Maps is a savior
  • Media and entertainment - don't need to say anything more than that
  • Communication - I communicate to my entire world through the phone.

Best part is that no one can easily break into my phone (multi-level security) and if I lose it all I have to do is remote wipe it (or it will on its own when someone tries accessing my phone more than a few times) and replace the phone. Within a few hours I would be back to normal. If I lost my wallet, I would have a major issue replacing everything. As soon as IDs can be digital (that should be soon) I won't even need my wallet. Power is never an issue (what if the phone dies??). I ALWAYS have a portable charger nearby, but I rarely ever need to use. I have them in every car, every backpack as they are so cheap now and I just check they are topped off now and then. 

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 3

Does the app show you where others in your party are at on the ship?  What I loved on Sky Princess is that I could let my kids have some freedom and do something without us and when we wanted to meet up with them, we just checked the app to see where they were. 

• Like 1

Just back from a cruise and didn't mind using the app once I got it to work. I use a protection software that would not let me connect to the ships Wi-Fi saying it was an untrusted network. Had to uninstall the security app from the phone and reinstall the Carnival Hub app and whaalaa it worked. 

On 10/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, Irule7 said:

Does the app show you where others in your party are at on the ship?  What I loved on Sky Princess is that I could let my kids have some freedom and do something without us and when we wanted to meet up with them, we just checked the app to see where they were. 

It has been a few years since we last cruised but I see that it has a chat feature offered for $5/device if you want to communicate with them. Or are you just talking about tracking their location?

Edited by mamiamjo
Correction

On 10/29/2022 at 12:39 AM, Irule7 said:

No, that's a function of Princess Medallion and not necessarily the app. Carnival would have to adopt Medallion for this to be available on the Carnival hub.

19 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

It has been a few years since we last cruised but I see that it has a chat feature offered for $5/device if you want to communicate with them. Or are you just talking about tracking their location?

It's a message service, kind of like text or whatsapp.  You have to have the app running on your phone to get the notification. 

21 hours ago, mz-s said:

No, that's a function of Princess Medallion and not necessarily the app. Carnival would have to adopt Medallion for this to be available on the Carnival hub.

Ah yes, if I would have used my brain and remembered that we had the medallions on us at all times I could have answered my own question, LOL.  

TIP :  Label your phones.  I use something like :
Carnival ShipName Nov 10-17
Cabin # 12345

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker I got from Costco on sale for 19.99 that came with 2 rolls of label tape, effectively making the label maker itself free.  It has gone on sale regularly over the past 10 years.  The label stays stuck and then peals off easily when the cruise is over.  I print a new one for each cruise.  https://www.costco.com/brother-p-touch-pt-2040c-label-maker-with-supplies.product.100504759.html

Also, I have another label we leave on our phones permanently.  On my phone I list hubby's number, on his phone we list mine :
If Found, Please

Call 123-456-7890  

We lost my brand new iphone, that I hadn't even made the first payment on yet, in a cab in Mexico (it slid out of my stupid girls pockets in my shorts when we were in the cab).  VERY luckily, we were able to get it back.  But it could have been disastrous and sad.  Lesson learned and we started labeling our phones after that.  It also works when you're on the ship if a kind soul finds it, they will know what cabin to return it to, or so guest services can return it to you.

24 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

TIP :  Label your phones.  I use something like :
Carnival ShipName Nov 10-17
Cabin # 12345

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker I got from Costco on sale for 19.99 that came with 2 rolls of label tape, effectively making the label maker itself free.  It has gone on sale regularly over the past 10 years.  The label stays stuck and then peals off easily when the cruise is over.  I print a new one for each cruise.  https://www.costco.com/brother-p-touch-pt-2040c-label-maker-with-supplies.product.100504759.html

Also, I have another label we leave on our phones permanently.  On my phone I list hubby's number, on his phone we list mine :
If Found, Please

Call 123-456-7890  

We lost my brand new iphone, that I hadn't even made the first payment on yet, in a cab in Mexico (it slid out of my stupid girls pockets in my shorts when we were in the cab).  VERY luckily, we were able to get it back.  But it could have been disastrous and sad.  Lesson learned and we started labeling our phones after that.  It also works when you're on the ship if a kind soul finds it, they will know what cabin to return it to, or so guest services can return it to you.

Alternatively, you can just make that image your lock screen image.  No need to deface your phone.