Testing for Cruises Embarking in Athens

caymancouple

5 minutes ago, NtStiRReD said:

For info… we boarded the Sept 24 cruise on the Journey and did not need to show test results.  If you feel the need we found a pharmacy that did our test for €8 per person.  Money well spent for our peace of mind.  

NTSTiRReD

The folks at Azamara are going by what is on the website - testing still required.  Maybe the captain and hotel manager on the ship need to alert Corporate!

Understood.  However, the requirement was Greek in origin.  They (Greek port authorities) did not ask for test results to enter the port.  Azamara wasn’t asking to board.  Just saying.  We did however get tested but found out after the fact that the Greek health authorizes had changed the requirement.

43 minutes ago, NtStiRReD said:

Understood.  However, the requirement was Greek in origin.  They (Greek port authorities) did not ask for test results to enter the port.  Azamara wasn’t asking to board.  Just saying.  We did however get tested but found out after the fact that the Greek health authorizes had changed the requirement.

Have a great cruise.

When I was referring to "the website", I meant Azamara's website. I'm sure that it will be clarified prior to boarding October 18 but it would be nice for the "boots on the ground" to message the bosses.  How many phone calls in the queue to Azamara reps are people trying to get clarification after reading your posting?  Oh well...

My travel Agent spoke (by email) with her contact at Azamara today.  She was told that they "think by next week the covid test will not be required in Greece."  There was no confirmation that covid testing had been removed for any Azamara cruise leaving Athens, as has been reported here for the September 24th cruise.

23 minutes ago, Twiga said:

My travel Agent spoke (by email) with her contact at Azamara today.  She was told that they "think by next week the covid test will not be required in Greece."  There was no confirmation that covid testing had been removed for any Azamara cruise leaving Athens, as has been reported here for the September 24th cruise.

Azamara shore reps are always the last to know.

23 hours ago, cpristash said:

In response to my “phone call to Azamara”  I handed that task over to my cruise broker….his findings were….”there have been no changes as of yet”

I find this interesting….as we have boots on the ground so to speak and they contradict each other! Ugh!

"btw, it is also my understanding that we will be needing a visa for either Egypt or Israel….I was informed that Azamara will do this for us once on board …for a fee of course.  
Has anyone tried to do this on-line?

If so….please give the details!

I hae email confirmation from Azamara that they will arrange the Egypt visa on board for our Nov 8 Journey cruise.

• Like 1

No one has posted any links (or written confirmation) to any information from Azamara that covid testing is no longer required at Piraeus.  Can someone please do so?  I received our cruise booklet for a cruise on the Pursuit beginning on October 17th from Ravenna stating that a negative covid test is REQUIRED for boarding, although this is not true.  I wish Azamara would be proactive and tell us definitively what the requirements are currently.  The inconsistencies are very frustrating.  

12 minutes ago, Twiga said:

No one has posted any links (or written confirmation) to any information from Azamara that covid testing is no longer required at Piraeus.  Can someone please do so?

We can't do the impossible.  But there is posted evidence here that Azamara has dropped the requirement, and published rules from other cruise lines that they have dropped the requirement.  There is still time before your cruise for Azamara to update its published materials on this issue, but if not – keep checking Cruise Critic for reports from the Piraeus departures between now and your cruise.  That's what we're here for!

• Like 2

Azamara told my travel agent today that the Piraeus covid testing won't be dropped until possibly next week.  That conflicts with what people have said here.  I was just curious if anyone had received  anything written that the testing has been stopped.  I have not been able to find anything online.

From a passenger on the Azamara Quest who embarked at Piraeus on September 27:

3 hours ago, missminnie said:

Correct. We didn’t have a test and nothing was asked for when checking in. Just a check of vaccination records but no test was required. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We can't do the impossible.  But there is posted evidence here that Azamara has dropped the requirement, and published rules from other cruise lines that they have dropped the requirement.  There is still time before your cruise for Azamara to update its published materials on this issue, but if not – keep checking Cruise Critic for reports from the Piraeus departures between now and your cruise.  That's what we're here for!

Which other cruise lines have dropped testing requirements? 

Princess , updated 26/9 still requires testing.

Celestyal still requires testing until March 2023

Silversea still have a requirement as has  Royal Caribbean.

Received this email from Princess regarding my embarkation in Athens on Oct 8.  NO TESTING if fully vaccinated 

UPDATED GREEK HEALTH PROTOCOLS FOR YOUR CRUISE
We are pleased to share that our COVID-19 protocols for your voyage have been amended. As a result, the pre-cruise testing and vaccination requirements for this voyage have changed.

Guests ages 5 and above who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 do not require pre-cruise COVID-19 testing for this voyage. To be considered fully vaccinated a guest must have completed their final dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

Guests ages 5 and above who have not been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 are required to take a viral COVID-19 test within three days of embarkation and attest to a negative result. A self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) is accepted.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Post #71 from Missminnie on the September 27 Quest Greece cruise says they did not require a Covid test to board the ship in Athens.   Sounds good!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NtStiRReD said:

For info… we boarded the Sept 24 cruise on the Journey and did not need to show test results.  If you feel the need we found a pharmacy that did our test for €8 per person.  Money well spent for our peace of mind.  

NTSTiRReD

Same here. €8 at pharmacy next door to hotel. Although in the end we didn't need it I felt comfortable that I'd had it although the stress of waiting for the all clear email to come back wasn't so great. 

Of course we now have a ship full of people who have been tested and that is a comfort too. Eventually we'll need to accept that someone could bring it onboard at the start. Mask up and take the necessary precautions. 

Phil 

• Like 4

Just received the check-in notice from my airline for our trip from California to Athens where we will board Onward on October 1, 2022.  Sounds good?  But, do I schlepp the four proctored Covid tests which I already paid for, or do I believe what other cruise lines have published about testing no longer being required and numerous Azamara passengers who stated they did not need to present a negative covid-19 test result when they embarked Journey and Quest within the last few days.  The communications with Azamara corporate has been difficult - either they never answer your call or they fail to respond to an email or they fail to post notices pertaining to your cruise in a timely manner?  Do they realize those of us about to embark in Piraeus/Athens in three days would like some official information pertaining to our cruise when certainly the corporate office is aware of the lack of verified official information on this very specific matter of Covid testing. Do they even bother to look at what we their customers might be saying on this board?  Remember the days of Bonnie?  So sad they ended!  This pre-cruise frustration could be avoided if Azamara paid attention to its customers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeep61 said:

Just received the check-in notice from my airline for our trip from California to Athens where we will board Onward on October 1, 2022.  Sounds good?  But, do I schlepp the four proctored Covid tests which I already paid for, or do I believe what other cruise lines have published about testing no longer being required and numerous Azamara passengers who stated they did not need to present a negative covid-19 test result when they embarked Journey and Quest within the last few days.  The communications with Azamara corporate has been difficult - either they never answer your call or they fail to respond to an email or they fail to post notices pertaining to your cruise in a timely manner?  Do they realize those of us about to embark in Piraeus/Athens in three days would like some official information pertaining to our cruise when certainly the corporate office is aware of the lack of verified official information on this very specific matter of Covid testing. Do they even bother to look at what we their customers might be saying on this board?  Remember the days of Bonnie?  So sad they ended!  This pre-cruise frustration could be avoided if Azamara paid attention to its customers.

In your shoes, I think I’d go ahead and get the €8 local test. It’s pretty low stakes, and you’re covered if they ask for it, and not out much money if they don’t. Plus you have the peace of mind from knowing that you tested negative. 

As far as I know, (and I could certainly be wrong about this) there has been nothing official on any Greek government web site to require a test for the Port of Athens. It’s just been a port requirement that was there when it was there, and it is apparently no longer there. I hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks so very much for your input....I have emailed our hotel in the Plaka inquiring about pharmacies within  walking distance...They said that there were plenty and DID  NOT REQUIRE an appointment....

Fingers crossed that all is a moot point before Oct. 26th when we depart for our amazing journey!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, blobby113 said:

Guess what? Azamara required a negative test. I assume it was Azamara and not the Piraeus port authority, the representatives of which were a bit sheepish.

According to the website Azamara only require it if the port authorities demand it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riocca said:

According to the website Azamara only require it if the port authorities demand it.

Which they did not on the 24th and 26th embarkations. What is going on?  There were no €59 testing facilities in the terminal- nothing ……. It’s so unfair. They clearly were not required last week 

Edited by uktog

52 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Genuine question, who is actually looking at the test results Azamara or the Port Authorities? In fairness Azamara have never actually said a test is not required in Piraeus.

I agree but they arranged the set up of the $59 each tests in the terminal and there were no such facilities on 24th September in the terminal so they knew that day tests were not required 

Has anyone who boarded October 1 spoken with the hotel manager regarding the confusion?  Maybe the hotel manager can communicate the frustration of passengers directly to Azamara Corporate.  I would especially like to get clarification as to whether testing will be available at the port.  We plan on testing during our stay in Athens but have been told by Azamara customer representatives that testing would be available at the port.  Thanks.

• Like 4