Unpopular Opinion: Formal Night Lobster Isn't That Good

workfromship

The lobster you order in the MDR from the Steakhouse Selection is a Maine Lobster tail, not the rock lobster that is served on elegant night.  There is no comparison.  It’s much bigger and tastier. The Steakhouse lobster tail is well worth the upcharge.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 2

Just now, nwcruiselover said:

The lobster you order in the MDR from the Steakhouse Selection is a Maine Lobster tail, not the rock lobster that is served on elegant night.  There is no comparison.  The Steakhouse lobster tail is well worth the upcharge.

As of earlier this week on Sunshine the menu did not specify that the Steakhouse Selections lobster is a Maine Lobster tail. The Steakhouse menu did specify a Maine lobster tail.

• Like 1

The problem with the rock lobster / spiny lobster / warm water lobster on the cruise ships is that it is frozen, not fresh (and rather puny).  If you've only ever had it on a cruise ship and think you don't like this type of lobster, do yourself a favour - the next time you're in the Bahamas, go to a local restaurant and get it fresh.  Or better yet, go on an excursion and spear your own and have it fresh-cooked.  It's a completely different taste experience - so good!😋  Admittedly, it is still different in sweetness and texture from Maine lobster, but very, very good!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weird, I just posted this in another lobster thread, then saw this one.  So, for what it's worth:

The problem with the rock lobster / spiny lobster / warm water lobster on the cruise ships is that it is frozen, not fresh (and rather puny).  If you've only ever had it on a cruise ship and think you don't like this type of lobster, do yourself a favour - the next time you're in the Bahamas, go to a local restaurant and get it fresh.  Or better yet, go on an excursion and spear your own and have it fresh-cooked.  It's a completely different taste experience - so good!😋  Admittedly, it is still different in sweetness and texture from Maine lobster, but very, very good!

The other problem with cruise ship lobster, in addition to being frozen, is that it is baked/broiled, which can be a fine preparation, if you watch the dish closely to avoid overcooking.  However, the ship puts a hundred or so lobster tails into a single convection oven, and assumes that the cooking inside is equal in all areas, so some tails are overcooked here, and some are not.  Then, the same cart with a hundred lobster tails is put into a "hot box" to keep the food at a controlled temperature until needed, and so it gets even more cooked, and more dried out.  I've had incredible baked/broiled lobster, but it was done one at a time, and carefully watched.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

So is the cold water lobster. Not many lobster tanks on cruise ships.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

The lobster you order in the MDR from the Steakhouse Selection is a Maine Lobster tail, not the rock lobster that is served on elegant night.  There is no comparison.  It’s much bigger and tastier. The Steakhouse lobster tail is well worth the upcharge.

I agree. There is no comparison.

As for frozen, I've never met a lobster of any origin on any cruise ship that wasn't previously frozen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So is the cold water lobster. Not many lobster tanks on cruise ships.

Indeed, true.  But Maine lobster seems to 'hold up' to freezing better than warm water lobster, in my experience.  Of course all the lobster served on a ship are frozen.  But Abaco lobster is something entirely different (and quite lovely) when fresh.  That is all I am trying to share here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Indeed, true.  But Maine lobster seems to 'hold up' to freezing better than warm water lobster, in my experience.  Of course all the lobster served on a ship are frozen.  But Abaco lobster is something entirely different (and quite lovely) when fresh.  That is all I am trying to share here.

You should try Anegada lobster sometime.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You should try Anegada lobster sometime.

Pretty sure I have, many, many times.  Panulirus argus.  Same species as Abaco Lobster.😉

ETA:  I've even speared a few of my own, driven a boat while there were live ones scampering about on deck around my bare feet, and helped to prepare and cook them.😁

ET(also)A:  Heck, I even have a bumper sticker on my car, as well as a T shirt with a picture of one, both with the name of my favourite Abaco resort.🙂

Edited by ShakyBeef

52 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I agree. There is no comparison.

As for frozen, I've never met a lobster of any origin on any cruise ship that wasn't previously frozen.

I think it's a safe bet that nearly all, if not all meat that is cooked on the ship came onboard frozen.

• Like 1

Note that they fully EXPECT you to order or request more than one lobster tail on cruise-elegant night, and they provision the ship accordingly.  Your table server shouldn't even bat an eyelash if you ask for a second or third lobster tail; after all, they ARE kinda puny.  🙂  

It's been years, but back in 2012 the Chef de Cuisine on the Imagination (r.i.p.) told our Behind the Fun group that the ship's record for lobster tail at one sitting currently stood at...EIGHTEEN.  The fleetwide record at that time was...TWENTY-THREE.  

Caution:  this is not meant to be taken as a challenge.  Enjoy your lobster tails in moderation, folks!    😄   

Edited by Pellaz
corrected year
  • Haha 6

On our last cruise I ordered the lobster from the steakhouse and was fully unimpressed.  Formal night for the MDR I ordered something else, and they gave each of us a lobster tail in addition anyways.  

I actually thought the MDR lobster was better, but neither was great.  For our upcoming cruise, I've sworn to try foods I usually don't, so I thank you for the tip on the striped bass!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I actually thought the MDR lobster was better, but neither was great.  For our upcoming cruise, I've sworn to try foods I usually don't, so I thank you for the tip on the striped bass!

Whatever fish it is, the striped bass has been on the shorter cruise menu for some time and is good.

• Like 2

I'm not sure they can even legally call what they serve lobster...lol.  It always looks more like a jumbo shrimp like we get in mazatlan. The prime rib always looks like a burnt piece of leather too even when I ordered it medium rare.  "Elegant" night is a bust for us usually so we choose steakhouse or other speciatly dining.  The MDR has been very underwhelming for the past 5 years or so.  Bummer but we still have a fun time and choose other foods, even if we have to pay extra for them.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ohio Bucki said:

If you order lobster in the main dining room from the "Steakhouse Selection" part of the menu, is the lobster any different and/or bigger than the regular lobster you can order on formal night?

4 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

No, it’s the same.

Not the same.  Based on Carnival's website, the lobster and surf and turf entrees are both Maine lobsters. The free formal night lobster is Caribbean (rock) lobster.

Screenshot_20220927-184349_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, workfromship said:

My wife and I are frequent cruisers and currently living it up on Carnival Vista. We ALWAYS order lobster on the first formal night and are ALWAYS unimpressed with it. The mushroom risotto that also comes with the dish is always bland and gummy, nothing like a real risotto.

Here's a pro tip: Get the Pan Striped Bass!

I got out of my comfort zone last night and tried the Pan Striped Bass instead and was blown away due to how great it was! Not only was the fish perfectly cooked with a crispy skin, but the gnocchi that came with it was so flavorful! I'll definitely be getting it again in lieu of lobster from now on.

My wife and I sailed on Carnival Vista earlier this year.  We had the lobster in the main dining room and it was very good - the best lobster we have had in 30 years of cruising.  My wife is from Maine, so we are quite familiar with good lobster.  Carnival Vista's lobster wasn't quite on par with the best lobster dishes we've had at home or in Maine, but it was very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, chengkp75 said:

They're all frozen anyway, which degrades the quality significantly.

Exactly this. I grew up eating fresh Maine lobster and I've never met it's equal. Frozen lobster can be ok if it is cooked right, but that is the trick. My first experience with frozen lobster was in the Navy and they didn't cook it right. The last few cruises they've done a decent job with it and I found it edible. I have toyed with the idea of getting the steak and lobster from the steakhouse from the MDR menu but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (and that might be a bigger lobster, possibly even from Maine, but it is still a frozen lobster).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ohio Bucki said:

If you order lobster in the main dining room from the "Steakhouse Selection" part of the menu, is the lobster any different and/or bigger than the regular lobster you can order on formal night?

In my experience the "Steakhouse Selection" lobster tail was much better than what you receive on formal night.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed the lobster on every cruise, even the smaller ones that folks complain about. Hopefully, more people will start skipping it and there will be more for those of us who enjoy it. I 'd gladly attempt to put a dent in all that unappreciated/unwanted lobster. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1