New room service menu starting October 1

Honolulu Blue

4 minutes ago, spirit-wedding? said:

We have to pay 18% gratuity and a service charge?

I think mz-s was referring to the cash tip that many of us hand to the delivery person, on top of the 18% that is automatically charged.  I don't think that whole 18% goes to the delivery person, but gets split up amongst crew in that department.  Additional cash tip is completely optional.  I just like to make sure the person who delivers my food is adequately (IMO) compensated for the service they provide me.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, spirit-wedding? said:

The line for pizza is going to be even longer!  Does anyone know what the revised hours are for pizza?  I swear I read somewhere that the pizza place going to start offering pasta or something else in addition to the pizza.

Pizza is supposed to be open 9AM-4AM. But on the Sunshine this past week there was rarely anyone working at the pizza place until around Noon.

From 11:30PM-1AM, the Pizza place sets out trays of Stouffer's Lasagna and Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs on some nights. It's supposed to be every night according to the Hub app. At least one night on Sunshine this past week, they didn't set out anything extra and the line for pizza was probably 15-20 deep.

Carnival's included food program is basically worse than Golden Corral right now in my opinion.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Pizza is supposed to be open 9AM-4AM. But on the Sunshine this past week there was rarely anyone working at the pizza place until around Noon.

From 11:30PM-1AM, the Pizza place sets out trays of Stouffer's Lasagna and Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs on some nights. It's supposed to be every night according to the Hub app. At least one night on Sunshine this past week, they didn't set out anything extra and the line for pizza was probably 15-20 deep.

Carnival's included food program is basically worse than Golden Corral right now in my opinion.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thank you.  I thought I had gotten that idea of "expanded" or "added" options from somewhere early on in this discussion.  Even though I said I was going to stop, I keep looking back at the new menu and noticing more things my family has enjoyed many times (including grilled cheese, one of my favourite comfort foods) missing from Room Service.😢  The new menu is just so much smaller!  I'm really working on my feeling of gratitude overcoming my feeling of disappointment, right now.  Working hard at it.😐

After glancing at the old and new menus, I think the "added" is things that were free (coffee, juice) not are added a la carte options.  While technically Carnival didn't lie, it sure feels dishonest.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mz-s said:

18% service charge is added to all checks. gratuity is customary for all deliveries but not required obviously. The service charge is just additional profit for Carnival ($5 for a dry PB&J isn't enough as it is), it is not a tip given to the delivery or kitchen crew. If it was a tip they'd call it a gratuity.

I don't want to get into a tipping debate. I used to always tip for room service deliveries. I doubt I'll ever order room service on Carnival again - at these prices it's obvious they don't want anyone to actually order anything. $5 for a dry PB&J and $7 for half an order of TGI Friday's frozen chicken tenders is an insult.

From what I've read the PBJ is the best that most people have had (not high on my list of things to try) and the same thing is said of the tenders. They call what is added to the bar bill a service charge also, don't they? I know that they do for CHEERS. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mz-s said:

18% service charge is added to all checks. gratuity is customary for all deliveries but not required obviously. The service charge is just additional profit for Carnival ($5 for a dry PB&J isn't enough as it is), it is not a tip given to the delivery or kitchen crew. If it was a tip they'd call it a gratuity.

I don't want to get into a tipping debate. I used to always tip for room service deliveries. I doubt I'll ever order room service on Carnival again - at these prices it's obvious they don't want anyone to actually order anything. $5 for a dry PB&J and $7 for half an order of TGI Friday's frozen chicken tenders is an insult.

****Please do not turn this into another tipping debate or.......*****

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Was the brownie with toffee sauce always on the menu? And there is a chocolate cake on there now, too. I think they did away with it for a while because I used to always order it at night and then stopped.  I thought I stopped because it was taken off room service...I could be wrong on both of these things, though!

Hard to argue that Carnival didn't pull a fast one here and try to bamboozle folks with this. They must really think we are idiots. And the wings were already on there, I tried them and the cheesesteak, the wings were tiny and you only got a little mound and the cheesesteak was also a pretty small/narrow roll. This is simply a reduction and fee increase.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

I guess what jumps out for me is a pot of coffee for $3, but under complementary it justs says freshly brewed coffee. no reference to a pot or carafe. Are they only going to send a cup now?

When we've ordered morning room service it was a pot that held 4 cups of coffee as I recall (but of course my memory isn't what it used to be).

14 minutes ago, bigdog1958 said:

I guess what jumps out for me is a pot of coffee for $3, but under complementary it justs says freshly brewed coffee. no reference to a pot or carafe. Are they only going to send a cup now?

It looks like coffee is still complimentary at breakfast, and $3 if ordered any other time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

Was the brownie with toffee sauce always on the menu? And there is a chocolate cake on there now, too. I think they did away with it for a while because I used to always order it at night and then stopped.  I thought I stopped because it was taken off room service...I could be wrong on both of these things, though!

The Chocolate Cake was there before, "On The House".  And Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownies were already on the "Late Night Dining" menu for $2.

The old menu (copied from ObstructedView2's) post in the other thread:

https://i.ibb.co/6JsNdp8/20220925-182837.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vxQhgjb/20220925-182854.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, I will miss returning from a long, hot, energetic excursion to hop in the shower while waiting for my Room Service order of the (now absent) seafood salad on a croissant and a slice of delicious chocolate cake.  No charge - except for the $ to the individual who earned it by making the trek to my cabin to deliver it.  To simple me, that was luxury.  One of the things I really appreciated about cruising with Carnival.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

Wow, I will miss returning from a long, hot, energetic excursion to hop in the shower while waiting for my Room Service order of the (now absent) seafood salad on a croissant and a slice of delicious chocolate cake.  No charge - except for the $ to the individual who earned it by making the trek to my cabin to deliver it.  To simple me, that was luxury.  One of the things I really appreciated about cruising with Carnival.

It's true, the little things like that, bath robes in the wardrobe, twice daily room service, chocolate on the pillow - made you feel pampered. Carnival has lost a lot of that charm it used to have.

• Like 4

John Heald definitely led at least me to believe that the menu would receive an upgrade. At the very least, I was hoping that offerings around the ship, such as deli and whatnot, would have been available after hours, for a fee. That would have been a cool option. It is essentially the same, bland menu, for higher prices.

I have had the philly before though. It was very good. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It is essentially the same, bland menu, for higher prices.

Worse than that, it's actually a considerably diminished, bland menu, for higher prices.  So many items removed altogether.

I would have liked to see some of our now-gone favourites from Sea Day Brunch like chia seed pudding available on the RS menu for a fee.  We would gladly pay $7 for that.  And my DD20 would probably spend her whole S&S allowance on them, ordering several a day.

• Like 1

Funny... I was reading this and received an email from our shoreside concierge at Celebrity (upcoming sailing on the Reflection), and I thought "yep, it's definitely worth more upfront to get more - and not have to pay extra for a PB&J sandwich"! We managed to book a B2B on Celebrity in a RS for under $5k/wk. Yes, that's a chunk of change - but it's essentially all inclusive. We'll have tips covered, premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, specialty dining, suite restaurant, 2 liters of alcohol in our cabin (each week), etc... yes, a true vacation! 

We used to sail Carnival exclusively - and then decided to try another line perhaps 15 years ago. It was sooooooo nice to be able to have full/hot room service breakfast delivered to our cabin - white table cloth included. I've wasted my breath with Carnival for years, asking them to offer the same... or at a certain past guest level... or for those in suites. I was briefly hopeful that we'd at least see a coffee maker in the room when they promoted their Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras, only to have that perk pulled from the list only weeks prior to sailing. 

Yes - two different products, appealing to - and targeting - different groups of people. Having said all of this - we still enjoy Carnival and, when we sail with them, we just adjust our expectations. I'm REALLY looking forward to our ABC sailing on the Celebration next May - and the sizable OBC we'll both receive for our Milestone (75th) Rewards. 

Excerpt from today's Celebrity email: 

Additionally, as guests in one of our top suites, we are pleased to offer a complimentary minibar that is stocked daily. I was able to retrieve your previous mini bar selections from your previous sailing with us on the Celebrity Reflection that departed on February 26th, 2022, as follows:

•       (2) Grey Goose 
•       San Pellegrino 
•       Club Soda
•       Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 
•       Decaf Coffee and Decaf Tea
•       English breakfast tea
•       Heavy whipping cream
•       Lime slices
•       Coffee machine and tea kettle in suite
•       And a fan

As I would love the opportunity to have these Royal Suite Class Amenities available to you upon your arrival, please kindly confirm if these are still correct or choose from the attached liquor list.

I am delighted to let you know that you will receive unlimited complimentary Specialty Dining. Arranging for your dining plans before sailing will give you more time to relax and enjoy the Celebrity Reflection. Please find the attached sample menus for our Specialty Restaurants aboard the Celebrity Reflection to give you an idea of what each of them offer, ...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Funny... I was reading this and received an email from our shoreside concierge at Celebrity (upcoming sailing on the Reflection), and I thought "yep, it's definitely worth more upfront to get more - and not have to pay extra for a PB&J sandwich"! We managed to book a B2B on Celebrity in a RS for under $5k/wk. Yes, that's a chunk of change - but it's essentially all inclusive. We'll have tips covered, premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, specialty dining, suite restaurant, 2 liters of alcohol in our cabin (each week), etc... yes, a true vacation! 

We used to sail Carnival exclusively - and then decided to try another line perhaps 15 years ago. It was sooooooo nice to be able to have full/hot room service breakfast delivered to our cabin - white table cloth included. I've wasted my breath with Carnival for years, asking them to offer the same... or at a certain past guest level... or for those in suites. I was briefly hopeful that we'd at least see a coffee maker in the room when they promoted their Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras, only to have that perk pulled from the list only weeks prior to sailing. 

Yes - two different products, appealing to - and targeting - different groups of people. Having said all of this - we still enjoy Carnival and, when we sail with them, we just adjust our expectations. I'm REALLY looking forward to our ABC sailing on the Celebration next May - and the sizable OBC we'll both receive for our Milestone (75th) Rewards. 

Additionally, as guests in one of our top suites, we are pleased to offer a complimentary minibar that is stocked daily. I was able to retrieve your previous mini bar selections from your previous sailing with us on the Celebrity Reflection that departed on February 26th, 2022, as follows:

•       (2) Grey Goose 
•       San Pellegrino 
•       Club Soda
•       Lime slices
•       And a fan

As I would love the opportunity to have these Royal Suite Class Amenities available to you upon your arrival, please kindly confirm if these are still correct or choose from the attached liquor list.

I am delighted to let you know that you will receive unlimited complimentary Specialty Dining. Arranging for your dining plans before sailing will give you more time to relax and enjoy the Celebrity Reflection. Please find the attached sample menus for our Specialty Restaurants aboard the Celebrity Reflection to give you an idea of what each of them offer, ...

If X would only come back to sailing out of Baltimore, I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat, and probably sail them exclusively (when not taking the kids) for even twice that price!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

•       (2) Grey Goose 
•       San Pellegrino 
•       Club Soda
•       Lime slices
•       And a fan

I have an upcoming cruise on Reflection for $166/pp and will gladly pay for any extras I want and nothing I don't and come out miles ahead.

• Like 1