Nieuw Statendam 10/8/22 Relocation to Fort Lauderdale

richwmn

Saguenay is a beautiful little town. I did not do an excursion so took a walk about. The greeters and entertainment at the port were very good  and fun to watch. Visited the beautiful church, lit a candle and said a prayer. Also visited a couple of shops and bought a few souvenirs.  I like to buy chocolate at places I visit to check out the differences.

The town was quiet and it looked like some things weren't open because of the holiday. I liked walking about to see the town in general and see how the people live.

Rest of the day was usual ship stuff, pretty uneventful and relaxing. 😊

• Like 10

Good morning, all.

Yesterday was a lovely day in Saguenay.  I did the Zodiac excursion at Saguenay National Park.  It was freezing cold out on the water, but an exhilarating adventure worth every ice crystal that formed on me.  

Dinner and drinks afterward with @Cruising-along Carolyn and Henry was a ton of fun.  We laughed a lot and really worked those abs!   Off to the Meet and Greet now.

20221010_142124221_iOS.heic

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Another good day aboard Nieuw Statendam. With the time change today, breakfast was again later than I normally do, but many people missed the change and the Lido wasn't crowded. Breakfast was again properly prepared and tasty.

The Cruise Critic was well attended and active. It is always nice being able to put a face to a name. It started at 10:30 and lasted well over an hour.

Lunch was fish and chips in the Lido, which is something HAL does well. It was topped off with ice cream and peanut butter cookies. Everything was good and crew was as wonderful as always.

Next up at 1:30 was a military Meet & Greet which was also well attended. Lots of good stories and looks back at everyone's experience.

At 4:30 we had lightning trivia. This is a 30 question version where you have 30 seconds to answer and the answer is given right after the question. I had 21 out of 30, but was not near the top.

At 6:30 @Sharon in AZjoined me for Classic Trivia. It was a good selection of questions and we scored 13 out of 15, missing the bonus. We tied for first and won in the tie breaker.

Tonight is dressy so I might stay in - but who knows????

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

A sea day, so it was pretty low key for me. Tried the Grand Cafe for the first time, very good option for AM coffee.

It was wonderful to meet fellow CC peeps at the M&G. Thank you to Edi for organizing the meet and for putting together the ice breaker. 😀

• Like 4

Craig took a few pictures through the Lido windows of the sail into Charlottetown.  I especially liked this one. 
4B8CDAC4-4E51-462A-9695-A44EBE287F2B.thumb.jpeg.e30998bff2b5c39492373d5612d480c3.jpeg

This afternoon we are going on the PEI Coast, Lighthouses and Cellar tour. I think some of the roll call will also be on it, and also Debbie @dfish.  I’ll post pictures later. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from Charlottetown!

I slept 9 hours last night, the first good night’s sleep in a long time. I credit the gentle rocking of the ship. Yay!!

Last night we had dinner in the MDR with Debbie @dfishand were all pleased that the servings were larger than the other night. After dinner we enjoyed a great BB King show. I know we’ll be there a lot on this cruise. 

We also will be on the PEI lighthouses and wine tasting tour. It should be a great day!

8A1A2CD8-DB03-470F-935A-7303D2C790FC.thumb.jpeg.fb9fcfdb33640ad36f93d7a696eab342.jpeg

C849FD79-2CAD-4EAD-9EEE-C612C12D9E8A.thumb.jpeg.e206a1cc1e8a2fd729e6bc0bef96c95a.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to Edi for all of her work in putting together the M & G and icebreaker and to Rich for letting us know about this thread. We feel like rookies as this is only our 6th HAL cruise and 8th overall-but we have enjoyed chatting with great fellow passengers. Today was our PEI stop-we took a HAL morning tour out to the Anne of Green Gables house and the National Park. We had blue skies. After getting back around 12:30, John and I tried to get into Water Prince Lobster with no luck. Instead, we headed into town and had lunch at the Merchant Man Pub which had delicious  lobster rolls with huge chunks of lobster meat and hand cut fries. We wandered the shops on Queen  Street and were impressed that they had 3 bookstores within a couple of blocks. We finished wandering around by sampling Cow’s ice cream-another great food option. Tonight we are dining at the Tamarind-our favorite specialty restaurant. Our Pinnacle Grill meal on embarkation day was great. Our second night’s dinner was in the MDR and was a bit disappointing both meal and service-wise but the third and fourth nights in the MDR were outstanding in every way.  We enjoy trivia, but have only made it to one trivia session so far. I think I came in 2nd or 3rd in music trivia-close but no cigar. 
Beth

Edited by Bxianesq
Add name
  • Like 7

Took the PEI lighthouse and cellar tour with some new friends from the CC roll call. All wonderfully fun and nice people. 🙂

The tour was ok, I liked the lighthouses the best. PEI is more agricultural than I knew, potatoes are their major crop. Who knew? 

Charlottetown is a beautiful town. Next time hope to spend more time there.  Sailaway was lovely, as always.

• Like 6

@Cruising-along ha ha.  You mean you got more than 1 teaspoon of mashed potatoes and 12 kernels of corn.  We thought HAL was putting us all on a diet.  And it wasn’t just one plate that was light on food.  All of us got skimpy portions.  Tonight will be interesting:

It has been a great cruise so far.  Busy when I want to be, relaxing when I want, and great new friends.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It is a lazy day at sea. We had a morning trivia, I managed to tie for first and lose the tie breaker. More chances later. It is a beautiful day outside and we are half way to Sydney

Tonight's menu for the Main Dining Room as available on the Navigator

Oct13.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, erewhon said:

@richwmn Rich,  thank you for posting the menus, no mention of fruit crisps among the dessert options,  are they no longer available?

From experience in Feb. you need to ask for them. They were on display in the Lido at the Desert Station. You needed to take it around the corner to add a scoop of ice cream.

I have seen some ship menus that do list them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, erewhon said:

@richwmn  Rich,  Have just found your thread this evening, hope you can enjoy more Nobilos during the cruise.  Tthanks for allowing us to travel with you.

I don’t know about Rich @richwmnbut I’m enjoying a lot of Nobillo this cruise. 😁

It has been a nice sea day. We slept in and I finally feel like I’ve caught up on my sleep now. 

Wine tasting was at 2, Bingo at 3:30 (came within 3 of the blackout). Dinner tonight will be prime rib in the dining room with Debbie @dfish

Someone asked earlier about the Tamarind. Yes the NS has one. We have reservations in a few days. 

19F2B80D-A03E-4A06-A6C2-0258E95E6910.thumb.jpeg.982c9af1a63c98b6b1c2b692d1ec3d33.jpeg

• Like 11