Nieuw Statendam 10/8/22 Relocation to Fort Lauderdale

richwmn

For the past few years I have started a thread with each cruise and invited everyone aboard to post. This time it is for Nieuw Statendam’s relocation from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale from October 8th – 22nd, 2022.

My journey to Quebec City started on Tuesday with a short trip from Athens to a hotel near the Atlanta Airport. I had called the hotel in advance to make sure they had a shuttle to the International Terminal, and I was told they did. I checked in and asked about the shuttle and was told they only went to the Main Terminal. They insisted that no one would tell me that they had one to International. I went to my room and checked Uber and Lyft and their maps seemed to indicate only the Main Terminal as well. I went back to the front desk and they said they would be happy to arrange for a taxi the next morning.

Wednesday morning I am at the front desk at the appointed time and my driver is already there. He takes me to a car that is definitely not a taxi. Since there is no time to make other arrangements, I get in. While taking me to the airport, I ask and he admits that he is an Uber driver. We get to the airport and the bill is $34. The hotel had booked me the most expensive Uber ride without asking.

Check in at the airport went fine with one small exception, the handle on my laptop bag broke and it fell maybe 2 feet. I was on my way!

I got to the gate and found power and tried to start up my laptop. It turns out that small fall had caused the hard disk caddy to unlock and it wouldn’t stay connected to the computer. So no laptop use for a while. Luckily my tablet had a full charge and I kept up with Cruise Critic there and played a few games.

The plane boarded on time and, thank you T-Mobile, I had internet for the entire flight. I again played a few games and kept up with Social Media. After an on time landing, a long walk got me to Canadian Customs and Border Patrol. After dealing quickly with the Kiosk I joined a long but quickly moving line to see an actual agent. Then on to baggage claim.

I watched the small amount of luggage go around without seeing mine. After a short while a Delta rep came up and asked if I was looking for baggage from Atlanta. When I said yes, she got my claim number and looked it up to find that my bag had been removed from the plane and was still in Atlanta. After filling out the required paperwork I was out of the airport and on my way to Ottawa.

Upon arriving in Ottawa I spent a nice evening with friends, but part of the evening involved trying to find out when my luggage would arrive. I went to sleep not knowing were my bag was. Thursday morning I awoke to find that my bag was on an Air Canada flight that would arrive at 10am. The bag finally arrived around 4pm, so all is good.

The laptop saga continued until today. I used duct tape to try to keep the disk in the side of the machine and that seemed to work until today. After it failed today I went to Wally World and got an adapter that is allowing me to use the laptop until I can get the part I need and replace it in Athens.

A little bit later I will go visit some other friends in Ottawa, then board the train in the morning. I should be boarding the ship around 5. Hope to see y’all soon.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

....not surprised with the poor service in Atlanta (hotel misinformation, rip off taxi, lost luggage)........I first started "transferring" in Atlanta when it was the "old" airport (over 50 years ago) but in the last few years we now avoid Atlanta (the airport and the city)....primarily because of the poor service.....Such a shame and as a Southerner, it is an embarrassment....and the saying was always "when you die, before you get to heavan you have to transfer in Atlanta"......We've been forced to find other alternatives.  LOL.  

Enjoy the trip and looking forward to following......(we almost booked that trip)

• Like 2

We will be on this ship out of FLL in March. Exciting stuff. Bummer of a trip thus far, but at least you got your luggage before you left. And depending on the hdd caddy, I've had good luck with a stack of business cards working well to wedge a drive in a broken caddy before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have a great trip, fellow Dailyites!  Will follow this thread by @richwmn.  Well, until Thursday anyway when I head to Netherlands.  Would have liked to sail with you guys again but I booked the 150th Anniversary when it was first offered, and I "unplug" while aboard.

• Like 8

The adventure begins.   Had a great dinner with Sharon @Sharon in AZand her DH, Craig.  Sharon thought it was cold out when we walked back from dinner.  I thought it was refreshing.

I am beat, but I'm going to try to stay up a little longer so I don't get up at 4 am.

• Like 16

9 hours ago, dfish said:

The adventure begins.   Had a great dinner with Sharon @Sharon in AZand her DH, Craig.  Sharon thought it was cold out when we walked back from dinner.  I thought it was refreshing.

I am beat, but I'm going to try to stay up a little longer so I don't get up at 4 am.

I was so cold I put on gloves!  And at 6:00am here in Quebec City it’s a chilly 35F degrees. Burrrr 🥶

• Like 9

After a 17-hour day yesterday we settled into our hotel in QC last night about 9:30 local time.  I can’t praise Hotel des Coutellier enough, we love it! 
I slept well and woke up at 7:45 (4:45 to this West Coaster). DH is still sawing logs. 
Can’t wait to see everyone!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

After a 17-hour day yesterday we settled into our hotel in QC last night about 9:30 local time.  I can’t praise Hotel des Coutellier enough, we love it! 
I slept well and woke up at 7:45 (4:45 to this West Coaster). DH is still sawing logs. 
Can’t wait to see everyone!

Omigosh, neighbor Carolyn!  Didn't realize that you were on this one too?  Are ALL the Dailyites on except me?  Should have booked this one instead. 

Well, at least on the 150th Anniversary cruise I get to see service dog Joska get her platinum medallion and y'all don't.  So there 😉😉😉!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6