Early or late booking?

Tony1878

Hi all, first time poster on P&O, forgive me if this question has been asked 100's of times already.

Probably asking how long a piece of string is, but I would welcome some feedback please.

We have cruised a few times with various companies, but never with P&O.

We are looking at a couple of cruises from the UK as we don't want to go through the airport melee again until they sort themselves out, we have just returned to Manchester airport and waited 3 hours for our luggage, tested positive on day 2 on our return as well, so UK start and finish it is.

We have identified a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in June 2023, is it better to book early or later in your opinion?

Ship is IONA and the current price didn't scare me off, but I know I would be spitting feathers if it dropped a couple of hundred pounds later on.

We plan to use the cruise to see if we like the ship etc and will probably do a med cruise September.

Thanks for any feedback.

Impossible to know but I'd say unless you are set on a SPECIFIC June '23 cruise on specific dates with a specific cruise line then wing it and watch for deals nearer the time? With the current economy cruises outside of school holidays are somewhat slow selling. There will be deals.

Edited by pmd98052

2 hours ago, Tony1878 said:

Hi all, first time poster on P&O, forgive me if this question has been asked 100's of times already.

Probably asking how long a piece of string is, but I would welcome some feedback please.

We have cruised a few times with various companies, but never with P&O.

We are looking at a couple of cruises from the UK as we don't want to go through the airport melee again until they sort themselves out, we have just returned to Manchester airport and waited 3 hours for our luggage, tested positive on day 2 on our return as well, so UK start and finish it is.

We have identified a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in June 2023, is it better to book early or later in your opinion?

Ship is IONA and the current price didn't scare me off, but I know I would be spitting feathers if it dropped a couple of hundred pounds later on.

We plan to use the cruise to see if we like the ship etc and will probably do a med cruise September.

Thanks for any feedback.

2 hours ago, Tony1878 said:

Just an observation booking now for next summer is not early. We booked early for our Oct 24 cruise on day one of of the booking period. Booking now is what I call in the middle and could be the most expensive. Normally booking as we do gets the best price but at the moment for some cruises booking very late can get you a good deal. However there are no guarantees either way.

Edited by daiB

14 minutes ago, daiB said:

Just an observation booking now for next summer is not early. We booked early for our Oct 24 cruise on day one of of the booking period. Booking now is what I call in the middle and could be the most expensive. Normally booking as we do gets the best price but at the moment for some cruises booking very late can get you a good deal. However there are no guarantees either way.

Totally agree.  We recently booked a December 2023 cruise,  and felt that was a late booking ! Having said that,  the price for that cruise has now increased considerably. 

Normally, booking at launch,  say two years plus in advance, was always the best time to book.  However,  nowadays, unless you need a specific cabin or suite, that no longer seems to be the case, as P&O are struggling to fill their larger ships.

So, in essence, my post has been of no use  at all !

Whay I wouod say us that Iona is aimed at younger age groups, and they will suffer  most over the next few months with mortgage costs and fuel bills. So, will P&O lower prices to fill cabins,  or increase prices to try and maximise cabin revenue  ? Who knows. 

I think, if you see a fare that you think is good value, book it, and never look back !

Edited by wowzz

If we want to take a particular cruise we have no option but to book as early as we can, that is because we need an accessible cabin.

Very often we get a good price when we book as soon as the cruise is listed, but in the current market there are savings to be made and extra OBC if you leave it late; no good for us though.

Contrary to that last sentence, I have just looked at the price for the same grade cabin as ours (GC) on G318 - Iona to the Fjords.  The price is £900 more than we paid. They are currently giving away £200 more OBC than we got but, taking that into account, the net increase is still £700.

As already mentioned in" normal" times the best price is on brochure launch which is 2 years in advance so no way is June 2023 an early booking.

If you have to have set dates want/need a particular cabin I would tend to book now if what you want is still available.

If you have flexibility then I would wait to see what happens over the up and coming months as I think the  situation that we are....financial/global will worsen and cruise prices may be forced to become more competitive.

Whichever way you choose  once booked don't look at pricing again....if it's a price you have paid  you are comfortable with be content with that

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TigerB said:

Contrary to that last sentence, I have just looked at the price for the same grade cabin as ours (GC) on G318 - Iona to the Fjords.  The price is £900 more than we paid. They are currently giving away £200 more OBC than we got but, taking that into account, the net increase is still £700.

The Iona Fjords cruise I am still currently (long story) booked on, because I wanted a specific cabin - one with the curved balconies (didn't want to end up on the infamous deck eight) is currently £919 more expensive than when I booked on release.   £160 more OBC on offer now, but I can live with that.

Edited by showingdiva

Can't really add to what others have said. I have booked early, two years, and late 3 days ! So far I have not been upset with price rises after booking, but it will happen. 

If your travel dates are flexible and you don't want a specific cabin, maybe best to wait, but then again ......

I booked Iona next June for the Fjords.  Balcony was £1800 when I booked and today it is £2298.  I would suggest that the fjords cruises are popular and so the prices are likley to only increase as we get closer.

Edited by Harryjacobs

2 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

I booked Iona next June for the Fjords.  Balcony was £1800 when I booked and today it is £2298.  I would suggest that the fjords cruises are popular and so the prices are likley to only increase as we get closer.

I just wonder if there is a limit to how many people want to do a fjords cruise ?

Just now, wowzz said:

I just wonder if there is a limit to how many people want to do a fjords cruise ?

If you have already done a fjords cruise then I guess that there will indeed be a limit to how many times one would want to go.  But Iona is being pushed for younger and first time cruisers (I was one).  Next June will be my first and probly only fjords cruise yet when I mention to people my upcoming trip its suprising how many people have mentioned they too would like to go on a fjords cruise.

So I would wager its more popular than you think.

2 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

If you have already done a fjords cruise then I guess that there will indeed be a limit to how many times one would want to go.

We have done Fjords twice now, once on Azura and this year on Iona.  Have booked Fjords again for 2024 on Britannia.

I do not think I am alone in going multiple times.

• Like 3

Thanks for all your feedback,

Interesting that I appear to be late booking for next year.

I've never booked a cruise earlier than approx 6 months from sailing.

Something that I will definitely look at as I am now in the position to travel on .any dates

4 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

We have done Fjords twice now, once on Azura and this year on Iona.  Have booked Fjords again for 2024 on Britannia.

I do not think I am alone in going multiple times.

No you're not, I too have been to the Fjords three times. First trip was on Oceana, followed the following year by cruises on Ventura and Azura and I am also booked on Britannia in 2023 to go again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony1878 said:

Thanks for all your feedback,

Interesting that I appear to be late booking for next year.

I've never booked a cruise earlier than approx 6 months from sailing.

Something that I will definitely look at as I am now in the position to travel on .any dates

I think that booking early is probably the way to go for coveted cabins such as wake views. 

But, as I get older,  my time horizons get shorter. We have three cruises booked for next year,  but I am finding it difficult to summon up any enthusiasm to book a 2024 cruise. Too many unknowns in the current environment. 

So, I'm going to wait until mid 2023 before making any concrete plans for 2024. I have a sneaking feeling that, as long as you do not need a specific cabin type, there will be bargains to be had.

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, I'm going to wait until mid 2023 before making any concrete plans for 2024. I have a sneaking feeling that, as long as you do not need a specific cabin type, there will be bargains to be had.

We are holding off to an extent as well and have nothing for 2024 as yet.I have four cruises booked for next year and have already re- fared one on Princess as losing the £100 deposit was well worth it to save 5 times that amount and get an upgraded drinks package.

I think lots of people will be holding off for a variety of reasons.