Two weeks until my first celebrity cruise!

FiremedicMike151

Just a quick 4 night cruise to dip our feet in the celebrity waters.  We’ve done carnival a lot, royal once, but splurged on the next level experience.

We couldn’t be more excited.  My wife and I work extremely hard, so for us a vacation is just sitting around in the peace and quiet and enjoy some warm weather and fruity drinks.  Our last few carnival cruises were OK, but honestly it’s to the point where every carnival cruise feels exactly the same as the last one, plus the rowdy crowds.. 

Unless I am horribly wrong and the celebrity experience isn’t what we think, we’ll be booking next our next cruise while on this one!

• Like 4

You didn’t say what ship you are on…but my experience with short cruises on Celebrity is that a four day cruise is not representative of Celebrity demographic.  Five day is much better.  On the five night you won’t see people in shorts and wife beater shirts on formal night…but you may on the four.  Five nighters are much more representative of the Celebrity experience.  EM

I understand that many may not have the opportunity to take longer cruises but I believe you will find that 4 day cruises attract a different type of cruiser than longer cruises.   3 and 4 Day cruises are often referred to as Party Cruises and attract a much younger party crowd than you will normally find on longer cruises on any line.    I hope you don't discount Celebrity because your cruise will probably not be representative of the experience you may have on the same ship with the same staff on a longer cruise. 

Honestly I think you will love the product. 

• Like 4

With the caveat that I’ve not done a celebrity cruise, a 4 day celebrity is significantly more expensive than a 4 day carnival, I can’t imagine it’s the same crowd.

Interestingly - 7+ day celebrity cruises are very close in price to every other line, sometimes much less when you add on alcohol to the other lines 

• Like 1

As others said - a 4 day cruise on Celebrity attracts a very different group from 7 day or longer cruises.  The longer the cruise the older the cruisers.  The rowdy Carnival atmosphere simply put would not be tolerated.  Nobody overserved etc.  Come back but make it a longer cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

With the caveat that I’ve not done a celebrity cruise, a 4 day celebrity is significantly more expensive than a 4 day carnival, I can’t imagine it’s the same crowd.

Definitely MUCH less likely to witness a slugfest on the pool deck, but as others have noted, different demographic than longer cruises.

That said, you'll no doubt enjoy the experience.  Totally different vibe, partly due to lack of someone yapping on the PA all day!

• Like 1

Hi.

If you are on the Edge sailing Nov 7th, we will see you on board!

Now in regards to the crowds...

Short four day cruises are almost all we do as we  live very close to Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Miami, retired, and do not like to leave our dogs with the kennel too long.

In the last year we have done four days with:  two Carnival, two MSC, one RCCL, one Princess, and a short two day on the Margaritaville at Sea Paradise, (Old Grand Classica).

We have also done a seven day  HAL.

We also do four day X cruises whenever they are available, (usually in Oct or Nov)

I can guarantee you that the crowd on a short X cruise will be nothing like Carnival, the crowd will be different.

They will be older, and much more behaved, no hairy chest contests, belly flops or fights in the clubs.

We are no big party people either, and I'm in my late 60s and my wife is in her mid 70s, ( yes, I married an older woman!)

And, contrary to what was mentioned, no wife beater shirts.

Funny though, the last wife beater shirt I saw on a cruise was some guy who was trying to get into the MDR, also with a backwards ball cap, ON AN X CRUISE IN ALASKA!

I'll be the guy in a Tux, and  I bet, not the only one.

Enjoy your cruise, maybe we will see you on board.

Oh, worst drunks I ever saw was the crowd on the last HAL sailing we were on... 2 for 1 happy hour,  good thing there were lots of scooters, cause they weren't walking too good!

Don't want to be a "downer" but a 4-night cruise is not the best way to explore a Celebrity cruise; too many rebel-rousers, drinkers, and party animals on a short cruise because of the lower price.  And a 4-night cruise in MHO is just too short; best to reserve a 7-night cruise at the least. 

Similar to what others have said, I have found 4-5 day cruises have one personality, 7 day cruises have a different personality and 9+ day have their own personality.  While 4-5 day cruises may be a little "festive" they definitely have a different vibe from Carnival, RC or NCL 4-5 day cruises.

I think you will have a great time & look forward to you sharing your thoughts on Celebrity after your cruise.

We have sailed 16 times on Carnival and enjoyed everyone and kept on booking them. We tried Celerbrity and now have about 40 cruises with them and most were 7 to 14 nights with many B2B.  Haven’t sailed on Carnival since 

We live too far away to do a short cruise unless doing a side by side with a longer one. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I always get such a kick out of the number of mentions of fights when Carnival vs Celebrity comes up. The one and only brawl I have ever witnessed onboard was on Celebrity. It was in the upper level of the dining room on a Bermuda cruise. I thought for sure someone was going to get pitched over the railing. It took security forever to show up. That would not be the case on Carnival. 

That said, I've been on 15-ish of either line and honestly, they're not hugely different when comparing like-for-like (departure port, cruise length). Yes, Carnival has more active fun and an upbeat vibe with outgoing (and often loud) passengers, but there are tons of friendly folks on Celebrity too. The biggest difference is the number of children onboard. I like the energy kids bring, and honestly, their misbehavior bothers me less than badly behaved adults. I've seen more of that, yelling at crew especially, on Celebrity.

15 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

I always get such a kick out of the number of mentions of fights when Carnival vs Celebrity comes up.

Carnival does, after all, have a bit of a reputation as of late.  It's gotten to the point where several days ago, the line instituted a $500 fine for excessive 'rowdiness':

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/carnival-cruise-line-will-fine-passengers-24500-for-rowdy-behavior/ar-AA12InEP

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

I always get such a kick out of the number of mentions of fights when Carnival vs Celebrity comes up. The one and only brawl I have ever witnessed onboard was on Celebrity. It was in the upper level of the dining room on a Bermuda cruise. I thought for sure someone was going to get pitched over the railing. It took security forever to show up. That would not be the case on Carnival. 

That said, I've been on 15-ish of either line and honestly, they're not hugely different when comparing like-for-like (departure port, cruise length). Yes, Carnival has more active fun and an upbeat vibe with outgoing (and often loud) passengers, but there are tons of friendly folks on Celebrity too. The biggest difference is the number of children onboard. I like the energy kids bring, and honestly, their misbehavior bothers me less than badly behaved adults. I've seen more of that, yelling at crew especially, on Celebrity.

I always laugh at the comments about drunks on Carnival. With the exception of my last cruise with them (which was a 4 day filled with recent college graduates and quite the party),  I’d rarely seen the atmosphere everyone thinks Carnival is. I do typically sail at least 7 days and I think that’s just a different crowd than a short cruise on any line. That said, their food and service have slipped so much I’m not in a huge hurry to book another. 

The worst I’ve seen is actually on NCL. Three different 7 day cruises and witnessed awful, overserved, falling down drunks on all of them. Not the majority of passengers, but there. One elderly lady even had to be removed from the martini bar in a wheelchair she was so far gone. Another time a group of friends were carrying a passed out girl by her hands and feet into an elevator.  I never ran into that behavior on Carnival at least pre pandemic. I think now they are selling so many $50 and $75 cruises they are having issues with the crowd that’s bringing in, though. 

I’m also a Celebrity newbie and excited to try something new!

9 hours ago, Team Stag said:

Similar to what others have said, I have found 4-5 day cruises have one personality, 7 day cruises have a different personality and 9+ day have their own personality.  While 4-5 day cruises may be a little "festive" they definitely have a different vibe from Carnival, RC or NCL 4-5 day cruises.

I think you will have a great time & look forward to you sharing your thoughts on Celebrity after your cruise.

So, what do you see as the difference.  I have only been on one cruise to Bermuda, and it was a 10-day cruise.

6 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

The only drunk rowdies I have also experienced  were on Celebrity. Both were at the Elite HH  when they were in Michaels  Club or the Sky Lounge. 

The one was a rather large bully that was threatening the CC host.   He told her that he was Elite Plus, bigger than she was and  and would have her job and kept on ranting  and raving and threatening her.   She was in tears.  I stepped in and told him to leave her alone and try pushing me around.   I was half  his size but know how to defend myself.    She called security and I backed her up.   Never seen him again 

Another was drunk in the Sky Lounge during HH .   We got in when it opened and also had a premium drink pack.  There was a passenger at the table next to us that downed 2 beers before the server ever got to us.  He started to yell at her that he wanted another beer.  She said there are other customers that haven’t been served.    I ordered a premium beer using my drink pack.  She came to deliver it and he grabbed it off the tray. She told him it was a premium  beer and he would have to pay for it.  He told her to F off   Security came and hauled him away. 

Carnival is what it advertises. A Fun Ship. Service was always great and the food wasn't much different..  Passengers must  have liked it because they chow down the same as on Celebrity.   

We had fun but now enjoy the laid back experience on Celebrity 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

19 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

It took security forever to show up. That would not be the case on Carnival. 

LOL--- Now there's a good reason to go Carnival--- when there is a fight, a drunk goof , a loud mouth intimidating Staff, etc, Carnival's Security personnel are quick to the scene. 

On 10/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, canderson said:

Definitely MUCH less likely to witness a slugfest on the pool deck

However, very likely to see a slugfest in the Oceanview Cafe---( Bring elbow pads ).

That's another story for another day.

20 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

I didn't say it was totally untrue, just that my personal experience is the opposite, which is why it amuses me.

Our one and only Carnival cruise was an eye opener.  There was a wedding onboard and the groomsmen were 'over served'...to say the least.  Behaviour from one area to another....fights, harrassment, and our 'attractive staff-dancer daughter' spending some off time with us, was grabbed and pulled into their aggressive circle telling her she didn't have to spend her time with the 'older' people and come and have fun.  SHE never worked for them again after that contract.  ALL the groomsmen spent most of their vaca in the brig.  Yes, the ships have a brig.