captains dinner

kilndude

23 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

I don't mean to disrespect, but why do people still call it Captain's dinner? I'm genuinely curious. 

My sister and I still call it Captain's Dinner  or Captain's Night even though we know it's no longer called that.

Old habits from the old days of cruising when Elegant Night was truly "Elegant Night."

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor
2 hours ago, sgttami said:

My sister and I still call it Captain's Dinner  or Captain's Night even though we know it's no longer called that.

Old habits from the old days of cruising when Elegant Night was truly "Elegant Night."

And some people actually haven't cruised on a Carnival ship since all the Carnival changes/ cuts 😐.

My idea of the "Captain's Dinner"is when we get to dine with the Captain , some officers and a few other couples at a 12 top table.  Never needed a suit when invited, dockers and a collared shirt were perfectly acceptable.

Now if it's about the Diamond Captains Brunch or dinner, it's even more relaxed.

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

My idea of the "Captain's Dinner"is when we get to dine with the Captain , some officers and a few other couples at a 12 top table.  Never needed a suit when invited, dockers and a collared shirt were perfectly acceptable.

Now if it's about the Diamond Captains Brunch or dinner, it's even more relaxed.

I have pics of my parents and their friends on their first cruise (1970 on the Oceanic from NY) when they dined with the Captain and the ladies were in gowns and furs and men were in tuxes.

I was very impressed at the time and WOWED by how luxurious cruising was.

But yeah, things change (LOL)

On 10/16/2022 at 6:28 PM, sgttami said:

23 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Back then it wasn't called Elegant Night, it was Formal Night. 

You are probably both right. Different names for different times and ships.

I vaguely remember as a child sailing when men wore suits to dinner EVERY night. But those were the days sailing was a means of transportation rather than a vacation.

26 minutes ago, icft said:

You are probably both right. Different names for different times and ships.

I vaguely remember as a child sailing when men wore suits to dinner EVERY night. But those were the days sailing was a means of transportation rather than a vacation.

The long time Carnival cruisers know formal night became known as elegant night when Carnival announced 9 years or so ago a change to a more relaxed style of dress on Carnival ships. John Heald mentions this at times in his writings.

Edited by sanmarcosman

22 minutes ago, kilndude said:

back to the original question . is it ok for the women to wear dress slacks to the dinning room also?

The dress code is pretty relaxed overall.  You do not need formal wear or even a suit. Slacks are common for females and if you take a simple collared shirt and chinos you will be in the majority for the males.  Dress up if you want but it is not required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kilndude said:

back to the original question . is it ok for the women to wear dress slacks to the dinning room also?

The dress code is very relaxed.  Just don't do the don'ts and you'll be fine.  I often wear capris or a skort for cruise casual evenings or a dressier version for cruise elegant evenings.

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire