AFTERNOON TEA

Tablelamp

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

So essentially, this isn't Butlins any more?  It's Cruising Ryanair-style?

Less of all that is fine by me. As you often say Harry. SAGA will continue all that stuff. P&O have provided an quite good cruise on the 4 we have taken since they restarted. Don't miss any of the good old days things.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Sawdan said:

Yes I can confirm that on Iona last time out no ANT in MDR.

Unfortunately the list of cut backs above is not exhaustive.

It's difficult for the cruise lines at the moment but hopefully things can return to more near normal standards in the not too distant future!!!

Anyone who hasn't cruised since before Covid please brace yourself as things are a bit different to what they were.

Oh dear!!  We haven't cruised since Nov 2019. and our next is Dec 2023.  We were quite looking forward to it, but I'll keep reading these threads and we can decide closer to payment due date. Avril

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh dear!!  We haven't cruised since Nov 2019. and our next is Dec 2023.  We were quite looking forward to it, but I'll keep reading these threads and we can decide closer to payment due date. Avril

Just have in mind Avril that there is a balance. A few folk lamenting the denial of their afternoon tea, compared with the continuous queue of people at the future cruises desk on Britannia and the thousands of folk booking every day.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

Very true.

I have just returned from a cruise on Azura, my first P&O cruise since pre pandemic which was also on Azura. Was amazed by the cutbacks, inter alia

No afternoon tea

Greatly reduced menu and wine list in the MDR

No theme nights in the buffet

No evening turndown service

no toiletries in cabin

No deck buffets on sea days

No deck parties

No speciality buffets -Neptune's, chocaholics etc

No in cabin port information. No port lecturer

No photographers (a blessing!)

Reduced number of entertainers - just one band (Pulse, excellent), a singer/guitarist Maddison (also excellent), a female solo singer and a coctail pianist. Plus of course the Headliners and a couple of cabaret artist. Increased use of recorded music in Manhatten etc

In addition to which:

the Glass house was mainly marketed as a restaurant, with all entrances apart from one roped off and a reception desk - "wait to be seated" - on the remaining one and closing at 10pm.

Brodies was dominated many evenings by football on TV

Ballroom dancing to recorded music every evening in the atrium, no  live band.

Very much no frills cruising.

They have not had a chocaholics buffet in MDR or a specified Neptune's buffet for years way before pandemic so that is not a recent cutback.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They have not had a chocaholics buffet in MDR or a specified Neptune's buffet for years way before pandemic so that is not a recent cutback.

On Britannia last week, lots of entertainers and shows. Guest speakers talking about things. Wine list seemed quite good.  Glass house available for folk who just wanted a drink. The P&O cruise ' experience ' is fine for us. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Just have in mind Avril that there is a balance. A few folk lamenting the denial of their afternoon tea, compared with the continuous queue of people at the future cruises desk on Britannia and the thousands of folk booking every day.

I'm looking at this from a purely personal viewpoint zap, and things like afternoon tea, lectures, no live music for ballroom dancing etc wouldn't bother us at all. We enjoy lazy days reading or simply watching the ocean, leisurely meals with a bottle of wine, a drink or two in a bar before some evening entertainment and back to the cabin which has clean towels in the bathroom, we're  not bothered about the turndown or chocolates on pillow.  We don't ask a lot from our cruises, but if the simple things that, in our opinion make it restful and relaxing, are missing then we may as well look elsewhere.

The queues of people booking future cruises will have a different reason for cruising than we do, and are also probably a tad younger too.

Avril

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm looking at this from a purely personal viewpoint zap, and things like afternoon tea, lectures, no live music for ballroom dancing etc wouldn't bother us at all. We enjoy lazy days reading or simply watching the ocean, leisurely meals with a bottle of wine, a drink or two in a bar before some evening entertainment and back to the cabin which has clean towels in the bathroom, we're  not bothered about the turndown or chocolates on pillow.  We don't ask a lot from our cruises, but if the simple things that, in our opinion make it restful and relaxing, are missing then we may as well look elsewhere.

The queues of people booking future cruises will have a different reason for cruising than we do, and are also probably a tad younger too.

Avril

After a few days, when the weather had warmed up a bit, I remember leaning on the rail watching the dolphins thinking why we had booked. We have cruised with Celebrity, RC and P&O this year. All a bit different and quite a difference in price. We booked for Iona next year and will probably book other cruises and flyaway holidays. As we have never had afternoon tea, or listened to a guest speaker, that is not missed. Some Folk will miss them greatly.  They won't book P&O. Simples.😉

Edited by zap99
  • Like 5

We have been on Britannia. Afternoon tea in buffet and Epicurean. I think help yourself is better

There were plenty of sandwiches and cakes on offer and you didn't have to worry about someone taking the one you wanted.

There were lectures every sea day.

Lots of entertainment.

Toiletries were provided.

Enough choice on the menus, even if you didn't get your favorite every day

I think some people just go away for a moan.

Britannia the last 2 weeks was the happiest ship I have known. Didn't meet anyone who wasn't having a good time. As Zapp said every time we passed the cruise desk there was a queue 

• Like 15

19 hours ago, Denarius said:

Very true.

I have just returned from a cruise on Azura, my first P&O cruise since pre pandemic which was also on Azura. Was amazed by the cutbacks, inter alia

No afternoon tea

Greatly reduced menu and wine list in the MDR

No theme nights in the buffet

No evening turndown service

no toiletries in cabin

No deck buffets on sea days

No deck parties

No speciality buffets -Neptune's, chocaholics etc

No in cabin port information. No port lecturer

No photographers (a blessing!)

Reduced number of entertainers - just one band (Pulse, excellent), a singer/guitarist Maddison (also excellent), a female solo singer and a coctail pianist. Plus of course the Headliners and a couple of cabaret artist. Increased use of recorded music in Manhatten etc

In addition to which:

the Glass house was mainly marketed as a restaurant, with all entrances apart from one roped off and a reception desk - "wait to be seated" - on the remaining one and closing at 10pm.

Brodies was dominated many evenings by football on TV

Ballroom dancing to recorded music every evening in the atrium, no  live band.

Very much no frills cruising.

All the above is true, but we have not find they represent major problems.

I thought evening turndown would not suit us, but it really has not spoilt anything..

Toiletries and face cloths can be requested from your steward if you want them.

Deck buffets were always over rated.

We had deck parties on Britannia in June, none on Iona but she only has small open air pool areas.

All Ionas speciality restaurants are open, although I don't know if the Glass House is serving food, but would not want to eat there even if it did, nor in the Keel and Cow.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, happy v said:

We have been on Britannia. Afternoon tea in buffet and Epicurean. I think help yourself is better

There were plenty of sandwiches and cakes on offer and you didn't have to worry about someone taking the one you wanted.

There were lectures every sea day.

Lots of entertainment.

Toiletries were provided.

Enough choice on the menus, even if you didn't get your favorite every day

I think some people just go away for a moan.

Britannia the last 2 weeks was the happiest ship I have known. Didn't meet anyone who wasn't having a good time. As Zapp said every time we passed the cruise desk there was a queue 

Some folk moan about P&O based on what others have told them, not having cruised themselves since they restarted .

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm looking at this from a purely personal viewpoint

That is the only way to look at it ,read all reviews of those who have been on the ship that you have booked .You like what you see then fine. You have have plenty of time to decide before you turn a deposit into a full payment . Things, fingers crossed could be more to your liking by then .

• Like 4

When we look at all the various services that have been done away with, we realised that we never used any of them !

I'd rather have a cheaper cruise than worry about afternoon tea, turndown service etc.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think I might know the answer to this, but how about the lectures?  Used to enjoy those, but they were cut back even pre-Covid.  Were there any/many?

There was one lecturer, who gave talks on historic sea voyages etc. Did not attend any but I understand that he was very good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

One of the joys of the Glass House, was just turning up and sitting down, and being able to have just a drink, small plates or a larger meal at more or less any time

Also, another thought occurred to me. If they’ve roped off the entrances, does it make it awkward for people wanting to walk through to to forward staircase and the theatre? 

All the entrances to the main part of the Glass House apart from the one nearest the atrium were roped off along the throughway that connects the atrium and the theatre. This meant that the latter was not impeded but left the tables on the other side of the throughway in a kind of limbo. It was still possible to just go in for a drink if you sat at the bar or if there were non booked tables available. But P&O obviously now saw it as a book in advance restaurant and did not publicise this facility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

That is the only way to look at it ,read all reviews of those who have been on the ship that you have booked .You like what you see then fine. You have have plenty of time to decide before you turn a deposit into a full payment . Things, fingers crossed could be more to your liking by then .

Thank you kalos. I would hate to be thought of as one of the moaners who find problems without even being on a cruise post covid😉😇

Avril

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Denarius said:

There was one lecturer, who gave talks on historic sea voyages etc. Did not attend any but I understand that he was very good

Thanks for the information. That’s more or less it for me with P&O then. There were about 6 guest speakers on our first cruise with them, covering a very wide range of subjects, from film, through law to the history of cruise liners. All well delivered, all interesting, all educational in the widest sense of the word, and all well attended.

Every sea day was a pleasure, always interesting things to see and do. Last time, however, sea days were pretty dull, with not a lot to do. There now seems to be even less. I know we can read our Kindles, which we do, but we can do that anywhere, at much lower cost.

7 hours ago, janny444 said:

Cutback of Afternoon tea in the MDR wouldn't on its own be a deal breaker but when added to other " minor" cutbacks that all added to a more enjoyable experience which lifted it above 4 star hotels then it does become one.

I would think that P&O realise that they can get away with the cutbacks as their target market is directed at younger .....maybe new to cruising ....passengers that haven't experienced any of the cutbacks so don't miss what they have never had and are perfectly happy to accept what they now offer.

For us it has gone beyond what we expect so cruising is no longer for us but heh ho we are in the older passenger bracket not the up and coming passenger bracket.

Fortunately we have found alternative holidays which  for us are more enjoyable .

Interesting comments, and ones with which I largely agree.

Despite it all, I enjoyed the cruise. The ports were interesting and the food quality in the MDR was good even though service was slow and eratic. And the staff were always willing to please, my steward Prakash was one of the best I have ever had. But I was left with a feeling that the experience was not the one I expected when I booked during lockdown; that P&O have gone from premium to no frills cruising. I did not feel that I got value for the money which I had paid, especially when it became apparent that many (most?) of my fellow passengers had paid considerably less. But most of the many first time cruisers onboard appeared to be quite happy with what they got; as they say, you don't miss what you aint never had.

25 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Interesting comments, and ones with which I largely agree.

Despite it all, I enjoyed the cruise. The ports were interesting and the food quality in the MDR was good even though service was slow and eratic. And the staff were always willing to please, my steward Prakash was one of the best I have ever had. But I was left with a feeling that the experience was not the one I expected when I booked during lockdown; that P&O have gone from premium to no frills cruising. I did not feel that I got value for the money which I had paid, especially when it became apparent that many (most?) of my fellow passengers had paid considerably less. But most of the many first time cruisers onboard appeared to be quite happy with what they got; as they say, you don't miss what you aint never had.

We have been cruising for over 20 years and don't miss tea dances, or guest lecturers.  Never went to any

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been cruising for over 20 years and don't miss tea dances, or guest lecturers.  Never went to any

We’re all different, aren’t we. Never ever been to a tea dance - not even sure what one is. But the guest lecturers were one of the main attractions of cruising. I’d been trying to persuade a friend of mine to take it up for the ‘free’ cruises, but I doubt there’s much call for it now. 

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

We’re all different, aren’t we. Never ever been to a tea dance - not even sure what one is. But the guest lecturers were one of the main attractions of cruising. I’d been trying to persuade a friend of mine to take it up for the ‘free’ cruises, but I doubt there’s much call for it now. 

Absolutely. Each to their own. I once gave talks on a Saturday afternoon to a organisation for retired Clerks of Works. Before the first one I was asked to speak quietly as some members liked a nap in the afternoon whilst the OH was shopping. I didn't do many.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

On Britannia last week, lots of entertainers and shows. Guest speakers talking about things. Wine list seemed quite good.  Glass house available for folk who just wanted a drink. The P&O cruise ' experience ' is fine for us. 

I was on the same cruise and enjoyed it.

I am glad to read the moaners on this topic say they will never cruise P&O again,I find they are the type who perpetually moan on board,spoiling my cruise.

One of the reasons we ask for a table for two in the MDR.

No marmalade and jam in little dishes,,probably because the same moaners get more than they need,hence waste…..

ps there was jam and marmalade in little dishes last week on Britannia.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I was on the same cruise and enjoyed it.

I am glad to read the moaners on this topic say they will never cruise P&O again,I find they are the type who perpetually moan on board,spoiling my cruise.

One of the reasons we ask for a table for two in the MDR.

No marmalade and jam in little dishes,,probably because the same moaners get more than they need,hence waste…..

ps there was jam and marmalade in little dishes last week on Britannia.

DW likes marmite with her toast in the morning. He got it for her in one of the little dishes. He took the trouble to fill it right up. That's lots of marmite for 2 slices of toast.  She felt obliged to eat it all. 🤣

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

12 years for us, never been to tea dances, dancing lessons, only did one lecture and that was by Ian Ridpath which we enjoyed. We can’t miss what we have never partaken in. 

We try to book cruises with the minimal number of sea days, as we prefer to be visiting places rather than wandering around ship looking for something to do. On sea days we tend to sit on the balcony reading a book I have brought with me to pass the time between eating! Or find a quieter area on board to soak up the sun, (if it is warm that is), we don’t sit by the main pools generally as find it far too noisy. 

• Like 2

On Azura last month there were only 4 sea days on a 14 night cruise. There were guest speakers on each of those days, an ex-journalist in the 1st week, followed by a former DJ who gave 2 talks on Abba. I'm not an Abba fan but actually enjoyed these as he went right back to the group's origins and solo careers pre 'Waterloo' and showed some rare footage.