Encore Athens to Athens Oct 16-30 live-ish

calm down dear

For all the posters who are holding Seabourn accountable for all the lapses I say Thank you.  So many cheerleaders have basically declared you all as negative and you represent only a small hard to please contingent.

Not so.  I have a large circle of friends whom I have cruised with on Seabourn in the past.  They have all cruised Seabourn this year, as separate couples and as a small group and all of them said there have been severe lapses in service, cuisine and attitude.  The head office is ultimately responsible and I don’t think they care.

The idea that staff would speak to a paying guest about wine in such a condescending manner never would have happened before on Seabourn.  I have been taking a lot of land based luxury vacations this year including visiting fine dining and Michelin star restaurants and have not had any issues like the ones many are experiencing on Seabourn.

Seabourn should get its act together.  Thanks @calm down dearfor your reports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I have been taking a lot of land based luxury vacations this year including visiting fine dining and Michelin star restaurants and have not had any issues like the ones many are experiencing on Seabourn.

Same here, our post Covid luxury land based vacations have been phenomenal.  We are fairly new to the "luxury" cruising scene and these reports are very disconcerting.   

Thank you for the reports calm down dear.  Your experience here just isn't acceptable.  

• Thanks 1

Day 14 : Athens arrival. We were berthed by 2am - why we needed to leave delightful spetses at 430pm I have no idea. Suites had to be vacated by 8am which I thought was earlier than normal but can’t recall. Colonnade was rammed with leisurely breakfasters and their luggage, people were able to disembark from about 830 but we didn’t until 915 as we had a booked taxi and were all most last off - there seemed very few indeed left onboard but maybe they were on tours.

14 days was plenty, my reflection was “not the same”, by no means awful and to use an English word, it was fine. Service was not the same, there are definite shortages and I think some of the SOPs have been adjusted to save costs - rarely offered top-ups and some of the annoyances became frustrating as no one ever seemed to learn preferences like before - except where we sat at breakfast who knew my tea etc 

I especially detested the colonnade experience (except though at night on Keller night where it’s not a buffet) but the sushi restaurant was a boon, the patio was too cold generally for us and I don’t go on holiday to eat cheap burgers. I think it outrageous that mdr closed everyday for breakfast and lunch for the price we paid.

Food and wine were good to very good, true the included wines did have a couple of shockers but we always found something and in my view you don’t need to go to the (very marked up) premium list  ~ we did but only due to some generous obc. Getting servers to leave water or wine at table was impossible and getting new pours difficult. We never got a window table ever despite requests.
Cabin - we had standard veranda- spacious and we were well looked after by the 2 stewardesses.

So despite now being gold members did we put down a deposit for new Seabourn cruise …. No. Frankly the service now seems run by accounting eye not a guest experience eye - as I said by no means awful but we were pleased to get off.

Back to Silversea next year and let’s see.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, calm down dear said:

Day 14 : Athens arrival. We were berthed by 2am - why we needed to leave delightful spetses at 430pm I have no idea. Suites had to be vacated by 8am which I thought was earlier than normal but can’t recall. Colonnade was rammed with leisurely breakfasters and their luggage, people were able to disembark from about 830 but we didn’t until 915 as we had a booked taxi and were all most last off - there seemed very few indeed left onboard but maybe they were on tours.

14 days was plenty, my reflection was “not the same”, by no means awful and to use an English word, it was fine. Service was not the same, there are definite shortages and I think some of the SOPs have been adjusted to save costs - rarely offered top-ups and some of the annoyances became frustrating as no one ever seemed to learn preferences like before - except where we sat at breakfast who knew my tea etc 

I especially detested the colonnade experience (except though at night on Keller night where it’s not a buffet) but the sushi restaurant was a boon, the patio was too cold generally for us and I don’t go on holiday to eat cheap burgers. I think it outrageous that mdr closed everyday for breakfast and lunch for the price we paid.

Food and wine were good to very good, true the included wines did have a couple of shockers but we always found something and in my view you don’t need to go to the (very marked up) premium list  ~ we did but only due to some generous obc. Getting servers to leave water or wine at table was impossible and getting new pours difficult. We never got a window table ever despite requests.
Cabin - we had standard veranda- spacious and we were well looked after by the 2 stewardesses.

So despite now being gold members did we put down a deposit for new Seabourn cruise …. No. Frankly the service now seems run by accounting eye not a guest experience eye - as I said by no means awful but we were pleased to get off.

Thank you so much for taking all the time you did to write your live, balanced, and at times quite humorous  blog. I very much appreciated the opportunity to  learn from it, and sailing along (plus taking notes about certain port experiences!), as do others on this forum, as well as lurkers from other forums. 

If you go back to SS next year, I encourage you to do the newer ships (Moon, Dawn, and maybe the Nova though that is yet untested), as the reports (both formal and informal, on CC and elsewhere) from Whisper and Shadow post-Covid are not on average higher than on SB post-Covid. 

I wish you happy  future sailing, wherever you go!

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

If you go back to SS next year, I encourage you to do the newer ships (Moon, Dawn, and maybe the Nova though that is yet untested), as the reports (both formal and informal, on CC and elsewhere) from Whisper and Shadow post-Covid are not on average higher than on SB post-Covid. 

Apologies for going OT... I've only sailed on SS once, summer of 2021, on the Shadow, which I disliked - the ship and its decor were outdated in many aspects.  I wouldn't mind giving their newer ships - Muse, Moon, Dawn, Nova, as you mentioned - a try in the future.

What about Wind or Cloud?  Are they similar to the Shadow, in which case I'll avoid those 2 as well.  

3 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

Apologies for going OT... I've only sailed on SS once, summer of 2021, on the Shadow, which I disliked - the ship and its decor were outdated in many aspects.  I wouldn't mind giving their newer ships - Muse, Moon, Dawn, Nova, as you mentioned - a try in the future.

What about Wind or Cloud?  Are they similar to the Shadow, in which case I'll avoid those 2 as well.  

Wind and Cloud have interesting itineraries.  They are small old ships that have been converted into expedition ships, that is their focus -- nature-focussed wonderful itineraries. Some frequent SS cruisers have also been happy enough with food, service etc.,  (though they are always quite happy no matter what , plus being a very frequent cruiser known to staff can in some cases make a difference in service, just like on other lines).  But they don't have the additional restaurant variety that being a bigger ship allows, don't have the SALT bar and restaurant or the Arts cafe.

Currently Wind is having bad sewage smell problems (which will hopefully be resolved), per another thread, but I have no post-Covid personal experience with her (there are no bathtubs in verandas, and I like bathtubs).

Cloud also had sewage issues last year but they are resolved (plus there are bathtubs in base veranda suites, a source of happiness in themselves :).

Take a look at the official CC member reviews that have beene posted, and the awesome itineraries (if that is your primary interest, you will be pleased). 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Currently Wind is having bad sewage smell problems (which will hopefully be resolved), per another thread, but I have no post-Covid personal experience with her (there are no bathtubs in verandas, and I like bathtubs).

I like bathtubs, too!

• Haha 1

That wine service was outstanding!  … for being abusive of a paying guest. 

I am looking at late winter cruise options, and am quite sure that is not the level of service that I expect, on a cruise or at McDonald’s. 

That one  post is prompting review of our cruising options. Pffft! To about $16,000 US in potential Seabourn revenue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, christraveller said:

That wine service was outstanding!  … for being abusive of a paying guest. 

I am looking at late winter cruise options, and am quite sure that is not the level of service that I expect, on a cruise or at McDonald’s. 

That one  post is prompting review of our cruising options. Pffft! To about $16,000 US in potential Seabourn revenue. 

While not excusing very poor wine service,  I would not make a decision on a cruise line based on the actions of one staff member.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

While not excusing very poor wine service,  I would not make a decision on a cruise line based on the actions of one staff member.  

I agree with SLSD.

I am disheartened that this one member received such poor service but many others who have high standards are more than happy with the wine service. I don't know what went wrong with that poster's service and understand if they never sail with Seabourn again. However after multiple days, way passed gold level, we have never experienced this and we last sailed in July/August.

43 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I agree with SLSD.

I am disheartened that this one member received such poor service but many others who have high standards are more than happy with the wine service. I don't know what went wrong with that poster's service and understand if they never sail with Seabourn again. However after multiple days, way passed gold level, we have never experienced this and we last sailed in July/August.

I also agree but certainly wouldn’t be basing a sail decision on the “premium” wine service. My incident was dealt with by maitre’d and was correctly a training matter. What I will say is the “new” premium service where you have to choose your wines in advance (and remember what you ordered) is poor, wines took ages to arrive but on plus side I sampled that nights “included” wines which always made my choice taste great ! The tip I learned from someone who commented was get the wine sent to cabin , open it yourself (or you still wait) and take it with you. You do though have to be vigilant against servers topping up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Thank you for your reporting on the Encore.  We spent three weeks onboard over the summer and your experience was very similar to ours.  Although we had a good time, we were also well and truly ready to depart at the end of three weeks.  The service, food and overall experience were just not up to the Seabourn standards of 20 years ago let alone pre-covid.  

Your comments about the Colonnade are spot on.  We dined at the Sushi restaurant way too much as a result of trying to avoid both the buffet and 'cheap burgers' on deck.  I hope you didn't try to get more than one reservation at TK per week...We asked and were firmly told NO multiple times.  Even when we turned up at 6pm (with the restaurant empty until 6:30pm), the maitre'd was adamant they were full.  This was in stark contrast to Sojourn where if they were empty early on, you were welcome to dine.

Personally I don't think the casual buffet dining aspect is going to change much as I feel Seabourn is moving to more of a Windstar model-Slightly down market, more casual and more of a party atmosphere.  It will still be a good experience, but one needs to adjust their expectations accordingly.  With the music changes due next year, Seabourn should become even more lively!  But at a minimum, I hope they consider improving the lunch menu in the Colonnade for those of us who do not wish to have a burger or buffet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

Thank you for your reporting on the Encore. 

We spent three weeks onboard over the   I hope you didn't try to get more than one reservation at TK per week...We asked and were firmly told NO multiple times.  Even when we turned up at 6pm (with the restaurant empty until 6:30pm), the maitre'd was adamant they were full.  This was in stark contrast to Sojourn where if they were empty early on, you were welcome to dine.

Personally I don't think the casual buffet dining aspect is going to change much as I feel Seabourn is moving to more of a Windstar model-Slightly down market, more casual and more of a party atmosphere.  It will still be a good experience, but one needs to adjust their expectations accordingly.  With the music changes due next year, Seabourn should become even more lively!  But at a minimum, I hope they consider improving the lunch menu in the Colonnade for those of us who do not wish to have a burger or buffet.

I must have missed it, and am almost afraid to ask, but could someone tell me more about 'the music changes due nexrt year' ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

I must have missed it, and am almost afraid to ask, but could someone tell me more about 'the music changes due nexrt year' ?

Seabourn will be eliminating at least one of the bands in the Club and replacing it with a professional DJ.  I believe a guitar player (electric) will also be added.  The music (play list) will be modernized to reflect the current onboard demographics.  I've been told more rock, pop, and dance music.  There will also be the ability to request songs via the SB app and/or other portable devices.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Seabourn will be eliminating at least one of the bands in the Club and replacing it with a professional DJ.  I believe a guitar player (electric) will also be added.  The music (play list) will be modernized to reflect the current onboard demographics.  I've been told more rock, pop, and dance music.  There will also be the ability to request songs via the SB app and/or other portable devices.  

Thank you for your extra prompt reply!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, texanaust said:

That is not a change I will like.  I really detest DJs.  I guess I am getting old.  Most DJs have the music too loud for conversations and a nice ambiance.  I love the pianist in the Observation lounge.  Not crazy about electric guitars.  These types of music are what I have to put up with at the weddings of my kids friends.

If they start piping in loud music poolside I will definitely not be booking Seabourn.  I love sitting by the pool, reading a book, and listening to classical music on my headphones.  Don’t want poolside music to effect that.  I take a break from the pool even when the trio play outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of piped music, we were on the Quest late May/early June in the Adriatic. We had a fabulous cruise, only a couple of small issues not worth mentioning. BUT, the weather was boiling hot so we sought shade when on the ship. So one afternoon whilst docked in Brindisi we sat out at the stern on deck 5 to read in the shade. As we were docked we presumed the music we could hear was from the dock. Not so. It was piped in through speakers above us, not loud, but enough to disturb my reading. We asked for it to be turned off. (We were the only people sitting there). After a while the head bar person came and told us it was linked to all the music being played around the whole ship and she could maybe do it but it would be complicated. We said it didn’t matter, went and fetched earplugs and read like that. This was our tenth Seabourn and we do not remember piped music before. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texanaust said:

Seabourn will be eliminating at least one of the bands in the Club and replacing it with a professional DJ.  I believe a guitar player (electric) will also be added.

So currently there is the band, which plays the production shows and with some guest performers in the theater, and also plays in the Club some nights; a trio, which plays in the Club before and after dinner; and a piano player in the Observation lounge for pre- and post-dinner music. All the musicians participate in some of the pool deck parties. So are they replacing the trio with a single guitar player in the Club? That would be a step down, but possibly not a major downgrade. But if they eliminate most of the live music in the Club in favor of a DJ, however, or if they eliminate the band for live performances, that would significantly impact one of the aspects we've always enjoyed on Seabourn cruises. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

So currently there is the band, which plays the production shows and with some guest performers in the theater, and also plays in the Club some nights; a trio, which plays in the Club before and after dinner; and a piano player in the Observation lounge for pre- and post-dinner music. All the musicians participate in some of the pool deck parties. So are they replacing the trio with a single guitar player in the Club? That would be a step down, but possibly not a major downgrade. But if they eliminate most of the live music in the Club in favor of a DJ, however, or if they eliminate the band for live performances, that would significantly impact one of the aspects we've always enjoyed on Seabourn cruises. 

I agree with you.  We do not go to the club often, but if the music was from a DJ, we would not go at all.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, texanaust said:

The music (play list) will be modernized to reflect the current onboard demographics.  I've been told more rock, pop, and dance music.  There will also be the ability to request songs via the SB app and/or other portable devices.  

Awesome! Now I can finally get my favorite punk rock and rap onboard!!!😜

12 hours ago, margbem said:

On the topic of piped music, we were on the Quest late May/early June in the Adriatic. We had a fabulous cruise, only a couple of small issues not worth mentioning. BUT, the weather was boiling hot so we sought shade when on the ship. So one afternoon whilst docked in Brindisi we sat out at the stern on deck 5 to read in the shade. As we were docked we presumed the music we could hear was from the dock. Not so. It was piped in through speakers above us, not loud, but enough to disturb my reading. We asked for it to be turned off. (We were the only people sitting there). After a while the head bar person came and told us it was linked to all the music being played around the whole ship and she could maybe do it but it would be complicated. We said it didn’t matter, went and fetched earplugs and read like that. This was our tenth Seabourn and we do not remember piped music before. Am I wrong?

I have heard piped music on occasion but not often.