Live on Splendor in Italy

coljack

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

coljack was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

My earlier live review from Splendor ended up titled only “ONB.”  If you are interested in current views on Splendor, open ONB from a few days ago.  That was in Spain, now we are on the next segment in Italy.  David Nevin still CD and still great. Passenger count rose from 625 to 675. Still feels very uncrowded. Our opinions of the restaurants: Compass Rose has been consistently excellent. Seta Mari and Pool Grill also excellent and better than we remembered. Prime 7 also very good. Chartreuse has never been our favorite but was very nice. Pacific Rim:  all we can say is it is a beautiful spot. We were long time residents in Asia so probably are hard to please, but the only thing we found worth ordering was the Meso Black Cod. Our dinner companions agreed and even sent back their lobster as “too tough to eat.”  I hope we just caught them on a bad day as we haven’t been back. Any other recent thoughts on PR?

Cofee still awful as it is poured  throughout the ship.  Order something made to order like a cappuccino or cafe americana and you will get a good tasting cup with no delay,

Guest performers were not nearly as good on this segment as on last. We don’t want to slam any individuals but will just say that we wish Regent was more consistent in who they contract. Dance and song team very talented but too much bump and grind choreography for our taste. 

we have been in a midship cabin on deck 8—right in the vibration zone some have posted about. We noticed it on a few days when there were light swells but it didn’t really bother us, but it is an odd vibration. 

As always, the great attitude of the entire crew is what makes Regent worthwhile and that includes a compliment for the great training they get from management. It has been great to be back on board. Also, we were surprised at how many first-time Regent guests we met on bound.  Not sure how to explain that but glad to see people are traveling again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coljack said:

Guest performers were not nearly as good on this segment as on last. We don’t want to slam any individuals but will just say that we wish Regent was more consistent in who they contract. Dance and song team very talented but too much bump and grind choreography for our taste. 

I happen to know a ship musician (on another line), and the cruise lines are having great trouble re-assembling their talent after the pandemic.  Our friend, in fact, is trying to recruit musician buddies to sign up.  Regent never did terribly well for big production shows, but the performers were often very good.  I think this is jut going to take time.

Agree on PR on Splendor,  some ok, but a couple of not so good.  The duck was a over cooked mess and our server was actually the worst I have had on a cruise or on land.  We will try it again January on the Explorer in January,  I hoping it was a new team and lack of training.  

We were very disappointed with PR on Splendor on our March sailing......from food to service. We have just put a hold on a 12 day March TA on Splendor and hope, should we do this cruise, for a better outcome in PR. We will have guaranteed reservations every evening so know we will eat well and to our liking.

My expectations of Pacific Rim are low.  We live in a city where we can get any kind of reasonably-authentic Asian cuisine we wish.  I'm hoping it will be a merely pleasant experience ; the quality of the food is paramount.  I remember the similar venue on Oceania Riviera being pleasant, somewhat ersatz and the ambience overdone as were all the specialty restaurants on Oceania, one of the several reasons why I didn't like Oceania.

26 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

We were very disappointed with PR on Splendor on our March sailing......from food to service. We have just put a hold on a 12 day March TA on Splendor and hope, should we do this cruise, for a better outcome in PR. We will have guaranteed reservations every evening so know we will eat well and to our liking.

How do you get guaranteed reservations every evening?  Is that a high level suite perk on Regent?

(I haven't been on Regent since 2019 due to some really horrible food issues,  but have been thinking of giving them another go)

48 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Yes, I'm with Catlover54--how do you get guaranteed reservations every evening? And if you're doubtful about Pacific Rim, does that mean you'll avoid it, i.e., so that you "will eat well and to our liking" every night?  Sorry, just don't get it.

19 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

How do you get guaranteed reservations every evening?  Is that a high level suite perk on Regent?

(I haven't been on Regent since 2019 due to some really horrible food issues,  but have been thinking of giving them another go)

15 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, I'm with Catlover54--how do you get guaranteed reservations every evening? 

We've not stayed in anything above PH, but I believe Seven Seas Suite and above have the ability to get a reservation at the specialty restaurants each night.   

https://www.rssc.com/experience/suites/distinctive-suites

@coljack, enjoying your continued reports from Spendor.

Edited by RJ2002

7 hours ago, coljack said:

Pacific Rim:  all we can say is it is a beautiful spot. 

We found it to be a drab room with food to match.  The outfits the servers wore didn't fit any of them well and (we thought) did not carry out the theme for that restaurant.  

Yes, we could choose where we wished to dine every evening by virtue of being in a Grand Suite (and a Master Suite works too - don't know about other suites).  Our butler would come around each morning and ask about our preference for the evening.  We enjoy dining early, so we had very little trouble getting a table then.  We don't know about those dining later.

16 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, I'm with Catlover54--how do you get guaranteed reservations every evening? And if you're doubtful about Pacific Rim, does that mean you'll avoid it, i.e., so that you "will eat well and to our liking" every night?  Sorry, just don't get it.

Sorry for the confusion....our suite allows for guaranteed reservations at any dining venue each night. We will most likely give PR another chance but if no improvement, we will go to the other venues where we know food we enjoy will be served.

Currently on Splendor.  There is no 'ship wide' COVID testing.  If you feel unwell and contact medical and they believe/know that those symptoms could be COVID-related then they will test you.  That is what happened to us.  And we are currently in quarantine having tested positive.

Overall very well handled and very low drama.  Regent and the crew know exactly how to handle things and they are doing it very professionally

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hamasgirl said:

Currently on Splendor.  There is no 'ship wide' COVID testing.  If you feel unwell and contact medical and they believe/know that those symptoms could be COVID-related then they will test you.  That is what happened to us.  And we are currently in quarantine having tested positive.

Overall very well handled and very low drama.  Regent and the crew know exactly how to handle things and they are doing it very professionally

Hope you symptoms are mild and you are soon testing negative. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, coljack said:

My earlier live review from Splendor ended up titled only “ONB.”  If you are interested in current views on Splendor, open ONB from a few days ago.  That was in Spain, now we are on the next segment in Italy.  David Nevin still CD and still great. Passenger count rose from 625 to 675. Still feels very uncrowded. Our opinions of the restaurants: Compass Rose has been consistently excellent. Seta Mari and Pool Grill also excellent and better than we remembered. Prime 7 also very good. Chartreuse has never been our favorite but was very nice. Pacific Rim:  all we can say is it is a beautiful spot. We were long time residents in Asia so probably are hard to please, but the only thing we found worth ordering was the Meso Black Cod. Our dinner companions agreed and even sent back their lobster as “too tough to eat.”  I hope we just caught them on a bad day as we haven’t been back. Any other recent thoughts on PR?

Cofee still awful as it is poured  throughout the ship.  Order something made to order like a cappuccino or cafe americana and you will get a good tasting cup with no delay,

we have been in a midship cabin on deck 8—right in the vibration zone some have posted about. We noticed it on a few days when there were light swells but it didn’t really bother us, but it is an odd vibration. 

As always, the great attitude of the entire crew is what makes Regent worthwhile and that includes a compliment for the great training they get from management. It has been great to be back on board. Also, we were surprised at how many first-time Regent guests we met on bound.  Not sure how to explain that but glad to see people are traveling again. 

We will be on Splendor next month. What cabin are you in on deck 8, and what cabins are in the vibration zone?

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We will be on Splendor next month. What cabin are you in on deck 8, and what cabins are in the vibration zone?

If you haven't already, check the "Suite Guru" post pinned at the top of this Board. Check deck 8 and deck 9. First post has link to a spreadsheet for each ship.

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

If you haven't already, check the "Suite Guru" post pinned at the top of this Board. Check deck 8 and deck 9. First post has link to a spreadsheet for each ship.

I only see Deck 6 listed in the Splendor spreadsheet. What am I missing?

Oops. Never mind. This time I spotted the tabs at the bottom

Edited by RELS

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

I checked the spread sheet for the Splendor. Hardly anything was filled in. Again I would like to know what is considered the vibration zone on Deck 8 since our cabin is mid ship Deck 8.

You’re more likely to get a response to your question if you post it in a new thread. 

Edited by -Lew-

2 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

I checked the spread sheet for the Splendor. Hardly anything was filled in. Again I would like to know what is considered the vibration zone on Deck 8 since our cabin is mid ship Deck 8.

I'm the person that had a problem on Deck 9 in April (and wrote a review of our original suite). My cruise buddy and I are booking Splendor again for next year, and know that 717 and 847 are both good suites. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

3 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

And silly me, I didn't even know that Splendor had a vibration zone!

3 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I'm the person that had a problem on Deck 9 in April (and wrote a review of our original suite). My cruise buddy and I are booking Splendor again for next year, and know that 717 and 847 are both good suites. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

We're booked in suite 834 in a few weeks. I hope this problem isn't on Deck 8, too. The cruise is full, so not sure where they can move us to if we have the issue. I guess we'll see.

We were in Suite 1201 in March for a Caribbean cruise, and there was significant vibration felt during the evenings. We attributed it to being forward and high on the ship. Our upcoming TA for next March will be in a Suite on deck 10…..hopefully we will not have that persistent vibration there.