Will he board with us?

mcatmcat

On more than one occasion I have seen the lower level check-in lines shorter than the D+ or P line. If the D+ or Pinns would go to the shorter line, they would be on the ship sooner. But, because of their status, they are "entitled" (I hate that word) to wait in the longer, and they do. When I'm in that situation where the line attendant says "Oh, you're Diamond, come over to this line". I'll say no thanks and just walk up to the counter in the "regular" line.

17 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi!!!

Im sailing from Miami old terminal. I’m on a suite but 2 of my friend are only gold. Do you think that they will be able to board with us?  

Thanks  everyone. 

Super easy solution to this. If your gold friends are really wanting to experience the perks of having a suite, they can easily upgrade to a suite. If they don't want to pay to play or suites are sold out, then it is not a problem for you to join them in their line. Just make sure you get the same check-in time.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pcur said:

I disagree.  Boarding in San Pedro in May, I accompanied my suite friends to their line, and my D+ friends accompanied me in the Pinnacle line in Baltimore last week.  

Both times we told the staff member that we were traveling as a group and wanted to board together.  The highest level person asked.  I was told if it's no more than 3 extra people it's not a problem.  Also, if they are family members there should be no problem.

I was specific that we were traveling together, but in different cabins.

There was no awkwardness with the staff:  ask a question, get an answer.  Go into the line.

We all went at the time the highest level person was assigned.

Apples to oranges.  You are pinnacle and the OP's friends are gold. Pinnacle members are occasionally given a bit more leeway due to their loyalty than someone who just started cruising and is gold.

19 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Good morning! Just a couple of comments about your post.

First, you might not want to say "Thanks everyone" when you are asking a question here on CC. Why? Because by the end of this thread I'm 99.999% sure there will be some posters here you definitely won't want to "Thank". 

Second, however you end up boarding with your friends, in their line, in your line, or some other way, have a nice, relaxing, stress free  cruise. By the end of this thread, you'll need it! 

nm

Edited by mcatmcat

This is really overthinking.  I was thinking of asking the same question as I am booked in a suite and my brother and his husband are not.  I planned on calling to ask RC.  Is there a rule that says that non suite family/friend cannot board with a suite person?  Is it in writing somewhere?  FAQs or policy?

If one person has been told no at the pier and another has been told yes, who is right?  I would not jump to the conclusion someone is trying to take advantage because of their status.

Edited by slyster
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slyster said:

This is really overthinking.  I was thinking of asking the same question as I am booked in a suite and my brother and his husband are not.  I planned on calling to ask RC.  Is there a rule book that says that non suite family/friend cannot board with a suite person?  Is it in writing somewhere?  

If one person has been told no at the pier and another has been told yes, who is right?  I would not jump to the conclusion someone is trying to take advantage because of their status.

Priority boarding is listed as a benefit of booking a suite.  It does not specifically say it is only for those in your suite but it doesn't not specifically say you can have your friends and family tag along either.  We sail in suites a lot but will also sail in a balcony occasionally, especially if we are sailing with others that do not book suites.  If we are in a suite, we do not bring the others into the suite boarding area, we go with them in their area and board with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Priority boarding is listed as a benefit of booking a suite.  It does not specifically say it is only for those in your suite but it doesn't not specifically say you can have your friends and family tag along either.  We sail in suites a lot but will also sail in a balcony occasionally, especially if we are sailing with others that do not book suites.  If we are in a suite, we do not bring the others into the suite boarding area, we go with them in their area and board with them.

That makes sense, but some people are saying if they ask a RC representative if their family/friends can board with them and they are told yes, they insinuate that they are breaking the rules.  

I'm only saying this because I was planning to ask and I do not break rules.  If a representative tells me no, or even well technically no, but you can always ask and see if the person at the pier says yes, I would not attempt to bring them to the suite line, but if I get a clear "sure, it is fine", I'm going to do it.  How do I know who here is right and who isn't unless I see it in writing somewhere.  

I will say that the thread gives me pause because it seems some have been told no.  If that is actually the case, I won't call.  I just don't like people insinuating or assuming someone is intentionally doing something they should not do. At the same time, someone here could ignore all the comments and go directly to RC about it. Of course, now I'm overthinking it LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, slyster said:

This is really overthinking.  I was thinking of asking the same question as I am booked in a suite and my brother and his husband are not.  I planned on calling to ask RC.  Is there a rule that says that non suite family/friend cannot board with a suite person?  Is it in writing somewhere?  FAQs or policy?

Is there any particular reason you all HAVE to board together? Can you not just meet up a couple hours later on the ship. You’re all capable adults right. Why is this even an issue ffs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slyster said:

That makes sense, but some people are saying if they ask a RC representative if their family/friends can board with them and they are told yes, they insinuate that they are breaking the rules.  

I'm only saying this because I was planning to ask and I do not break rules.  If a representative tells me no, or even well technically no, but you can always ask and see if the person at the pier says yes, I would not attempt to bring them to the suite line, but if I get a clear "sure, it is fine", I'm going to do it.  How do I know who here is right and who isn't unless I see it in writing somewhere.  

I will say that the thread gives me pause because it seems some have been told no.  If that is actually the case, I won't call.  I just don't like people insinuating or assuming someone is intentionally doing something they should not do. At the same time, someone here could ignore all the comments and go directly to RC about it. Of course, now I'm overthinking it LOL!

I totally understand where you are coming from.  We don't try to bring others because if every person who is in a suite can bring an additional three people into the suite line as someone claims, that pretty much makes priority suite boarding useless.  We also do not as the concierge if we can bring someone in either as it puts them in an awkward position.  If they say yes to one, then they need to say yes to all.

There is always going to be someone who is going to share their benefits and strut around telling all that it is right, that just isn't us.  We will use the benefits that come with our crown and anchor status and our suite and will happily sit in the regular boarding area with our family or the schooner bar instead of a lounge all the other times.

Give them a call and see if you can get an answer.  I looked on the website but I can not see anywhere that says you can have others join you.  Either way, enjoy the suite.  Let us know if you get a definitive answer. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allie3490 said:

Is there any particular reason you all HAVE to board together? Can you not just meet up a couple hours later on the ship. You’re all capable adults right. Why is this even an issue ffs

No, but we are flying together, staying in the same hotel, traveling in the same taxi/uber.  We don't have our check in times yet, but if our times are pretty much the same, then naturally, we would want to board together.  

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I totally understand where you are coming from.  We don't try to bring others because if every person who is in a suite can bring an additional three people into the suite line as someone claims, that pretty much makes priority suite boarding useless.  We also do not as the concierge if we can bring someone in either as it puts them in an awkward position.  If they say yes to one, then they need to say yes to all.

There is always going to be someone who is going to share their benefits and strut around telling all that it is right, that just isn't us.  We will use the benefits that come with our crown and anchor status and our suite and will happily sit in the regular boarding area with our family or the schooner bar instead of a lounge all the other times.

Give them a call and see if you can get an answer.  I looked on the website but I can not see anywhere that says you can have others join you.  Either way, enjoy the suite.  Let us know if you get a definitive answer. 🙂 

Okay, I will do that.  Your reasoning makes sense.  You also can't have a rule for every single thing though it seems for some, this is a black/white issue.  If we use the suite lounge as an example, the suite lounge is for suite guests only, I would assume the answer will always be no, it's for suite guests only (unless we have folks 50/50 answers) and the guest will be told that each and every time.

Anyway, I will report back once I call because now I'm curious!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slyster said:

No, but we are flying together, staying in the same hotel, traveling in the same taxi/uber.  We don't have our check in times yet, but if our times are pretty much the same, then naturally, we would want to board together.  

So you go to the terminal together, you go to the suite line, they go to their's and you meet up onboard at a pre-determined location.  Chance are you may have different muster locations and would have to spilt up anyway.  

As some one else has already said, you have to think about the others that all want to do the same thing.  How would you feel if you were in a suite and every other party in front of you was a suite guest and a group of their non-suite guest friends.

I see it more of a question of "Should you" versus "can you."  My opinion, you should not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

So you go to the terminal together, you go to the suite line, they go to their's and you meet up onboard at a pre-determined location.  Chance are you may have different muster locations and would have to spilt up anyway.  

As some one else has already said, you have to think about the others that all want to do the same thing.  How would you feel if you were in a suite and every other party in front of you was a suite guest and a group of their non-suite guest friends.

I see it more of a question of "Should you" versus "can you."  My opinion, you should not. 

I hear you.  If I was not on these boards...and I walk up to a RC rep or call one and they tell me "sure, your brother and husband can board with you".  Who is in the wrong here?  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

On more than one occasion I have seen the lower level check-in lines shorter than the D+ or P line. If the D+ or Pinns would go to the shorter line, they would be on the ship sooner. But, because of their status, they are "entitled" (I hate that word) to wait in the longer, and they do. When I'm in that situation where the line attendant says "Oh, you're Diamond, come over to this line". I'll say no thanks and just walk up to the counter in the "regular" line.

So true, good hack!

2 hours ago, slyster said:

I hear you.  If I was not on these boards...and I walk up to a RC rep or call one and they tell me "sure, your brother and husband can board with you".  Who is in the wrong here?  

You would be in the wrong. It would be like asking a teacher if you could cheat and he/she said fine. Even if the teacher said yes you could cheat, you would still be wrong if you cheated, at least in my book.

I really don’t understand why boarding together is such a big deal to some people. Over the years we have cruised with numerous friends and family members who had different cabin types, different loyalty levels, and these days different check-in times. For us it is simple, we all board when we are supposed to and we meet at a predetermined bar. We have never had a problem doing it this way and I have never heard anyone complain that someone else in our group got on board 45 minutes earlier or something similar to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You would be in the wrong. It would be like asking a teacher if you could cheat and he/she said fine. Even if the teacher said yes you could cheat, you would still be wrong if you cheated, at least in my book.

I really don’t understand why boarding together is such a big deal to some people. Over the years we have cruised with numerous friends and family members who had different cabin types, different loyalty levels, and these days different check-in times. For us it is simple, we all board when we are supposed to and we meet at a predetermined bar. We have never had a problem doing it this way and I have never heard anyone complain that someone else in our group got on board 45 minutes earlier or something similar to that.

to me it’s the RC rep. They probably don’t care which is why they allow it or say it’s fine. It’s the same as the MDR host who says you can wear whatever you want on formal night or the pool attendant who ignores the person hogging a chair. 

If I have no idea what the rules are and I walk up to a RC rep and ask if it’s okay if my family or friends follow me through the suite line and they say “sure it is! Happy cruising” I would not be in the wrong.  For all I know it’s ok. 

I get what you are saying though. My point is not blaming the cruiser or guest, but instead blame the royal Caribbean rep for giving false information. I personally will not take a non suite guest through a suite line because it does feel like cheating (only because the CC suite police said so). We can board separately or in the other line. Im

trying to get you to see whose passing along wrong information.  

5 hours ago, slyster said:

There are publicly published rules/policies, there are company non-publicly published internal rules/policies, word of mouth rules/policies, and then there are employees/crew that either don't know the rules or ignore them for whatever reason(s).  So, in absence of a publicly published rule/police, we can only go by what we are told by the last employee we talk to, in person, on the phone, or on the internet.  So, it's a crapshoot in far too many cases.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

There are publicly published rules/policies, there are company non-publicly published internal rules/policies, word of mouth rules/policies, and then there are employees/crew that either don't know the rules or ignore them for whatever reason(s).  So, in absence of a publicly published rule/police, we can only go by what we are told by the last employee we talk to, in person, on the phone, or on the internet.  So, it's a crapshoot in far too many cases.  

Plus there are CC imposed rules/policies and customer self-imposed rules/policies.  😉

• Thanks 1

Is there anything that states you can bring someone with you in line?  There are some with airlines allowing access for specific customers (on the same reservation, for example).

The clear intent of the special boarding line is to provide a perk to those who paid or earned the perk.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by TexasRon
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

Is there anything that states you can bring someone with you in line?  There are some with airlines allowing access for specific customers (on the same reservation, for example).

The clear intent of the special boarding line is to provide a perk to those who paid or earned the perk.

Enjoy your cruise!

The only thing that I've seen in writing is the signs that state, "Star Class", "Suite Class", or Whatever Class.  I don't think I've read one once that said, "Star Class & Family and/or Friends", "Suite Class & Family and/or Friends", "Whatevers & Family and/or Friends" or "Entitled Class" & Family and/or Friends.  

I could be wrong, but I think the signs are fairly clear.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slyster said:

If you check in at the Suite line and they check in at the "regular" line, I'd be willing to bet that there will not be more than 5 minutes separating you. You can follow the rules and wait a few minutes and all board together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1