Are the Oasis class ships TOO big??

7 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Yea, it's funny.  We have felt crowding on some of the smaller ships, but the mega ships not so much.  We just got off the Symphony with 6000+ passengers and we always found a place [well, the pool deck can be locked out if not early like always; but solarium always had lounges].  One thing, you need to make show reservations first thing once onboard.  We've never been locked out of main shows [ice, aqua, or production]...but we have had to settle for a second or third showing [and usually can book only once per show per cruise depending].  Aqua shows seem more susceptible to cancelations [due to seas or weather], so book them as early as possible in case they have to postpone to another day [just our strategy anyway].  As far as embarkation, all has gone smooth for us for the Allure, Harmony, and Symphony.  But fair warning: the Port of Miami can be atrocious [why we try to book other ports if possible].  getting off the Symphony a few weeks ago was the worst we've EVER experienced.  We had a congo line all the way up Promenade, through hallway, back out onto deck 5, then twisting back through hallway to finally debark check out on other side of deck 5.  But that's just to get out into the chaos of cabs, shuttles, ubers, cars everywhere...everyone literally fighting one another for space to pick people up.  Terminal A [the RCI terminal] at least has shade.  I think there at least 5 other ships in port that day which contributed to the chaos.  But in defense of the Mega ships, probably more about Port of Miami than the Symphony [although, the congo line was very curious, ha]. 

We walked straight off the Allure last month at 8 am with our bags with no interruption  in Fort Lauderdale.

We did have the conga line about 5 years ago when we were late getting into port as there was a jumper ( on Oasis ) on the last night . Other than that incident we have never had an issue getting off.

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Dear @Bloomin Onion.  The question is one that can only be answered subjectively.   Too big for you might be just right for others.  Too big in ship size?  Or number of passengers (or too crowded)?  If you have sailed other ships and cruise lines, which ones fit your needs best?  

I mean mainly in the number of passengers. My main concern is it will take much longer to get on and off the ship at the various ports of call and on embarkation day, like for example the difference between leaving a high school football game and leaving an NFL game. 

Thanks for all the response y'all. 

We're deciding mainly between a 7 day cruise on Oasis that leaves Miami and goes to Labadee, St. Thomas, San Juan, and CocoCay vs a 9 day cruise on Grandeur of the Seas which goes from Miami to the Dominican Republic, San Juan, CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. Maarten. Its my understanding St. Croix is less touristy (and everyone I know who've visited there was there for work at the oil refinery) and not sure how special Puerto Plata is, if the two extra days on the ship can be better spent visiting the Miami Beach and Everglades National Park. 

Grandeur would be the second smallest ship we've been on (smaller than its sister the Enchantment of the Seas) and it has fewer restaurant selections and doesn't have the large water slides and zip lining on board. But the itinerary does seem a big more appealing since it includes TWO of the Virgin Islands (we had initially wanted to fly there and get a resort but that would be much more expensive) and St Maarten seems interesting (though Labadee as a private destinations sounds good too.) So the Grandeur cruise would be on a smaller ship but more days and more ports. If we go on Oasis, since there are large water slides on board I'll probably not pay extra on CocoCay for the amusement park section. Both CocoCay and Labadee look very appealing. 

So far I've been on the Carnival Ectasy back in 2000 from Miami to the Bahamas, that ship is small compared to all the rest but that was my first cruise but I was impressed. Also been on the Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore to Bermuda, then the Explorer of the Seas from Seattle to Alaska and Norwegian Getaway from New Orleans to Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. 

RCI ships seem better than Norwegian in that there are more places to relax and enjoy the ocean, Norwegian has more food selections but the restaurants take up a lot of space on the ships, also with Norwegian you have to pay to use the sauna and hot tub in the gym area while at least with Explorer of the Seas I didn't have to and they had a nice indoor hot tub. 

Edited by Bloomin Onion

13 hours ago, Bloomin Onion said:

But I'm curious if any of y'all think they're TOO big. Specifically does it take longer than usual to embark and disembark especially at the ports of call? Does the check in process take a lot longer, the lines within the ship for restaurants, stores, etc? The largest ships we've been on previously are Explorer of the Seas and the Norwegian Getaway. 

Also I noticed from the pictures a lot of the rooms have balconies overlooking the "Main Street" open area in the middle of the ship courtyard style. Is the soundproofing in these rooms really good enough where the noise from outside doesn't enter the rooms? 

No, Oasis is not too big. It is very well-spaced out, and the variety of venues and events keeps people apart quite nicely.

Now, don't get me wrong. 6,000 pax is something. One learns to book events instantly, not to show up to theater just a few minutes before a performance, and not to board from a port of call just as the ship is ready go set sail. But aren't those the rules of engagement in any midsize city and up nowadays?

6,000 pax capacity has its strength. It's not having to be the only person in a bar, it's lively nightlife, it's a great way to meet people. And crew does help. The ship functions flawlessly. Check-in / check-out lines are fast, disembarkation is smooth, and one can always find space in a hot tub. Frankly, having tried Oasis, I don't know if I can go back to smaller ships.

As for soundproofing, I always book deck 14 central park balconies. Aside from a rare chair scraping, there's no noise pollution at all (and I'm happy to trade solarium proximity for the occasional noise).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bloomin Onion said:

We're deciding mainly between a 7 day cruise on Oasis that leaves Miami and goes to Labadee, St. Thomas, San Juan, and CocoCay vs a 9 day cruise on Grandeur of the Seas which goes from Miami to the Dominican Republic, San Juan, CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. Maarten. Its my understanding St. Croix is less touristy (and everyone I know who've visited there was there for work at the oil refinery) and not sure how special Puerto Plata is, if the two extra days on the ship can be better spent visiting the Miami Beach and Everglades National Park. 

You've hit it right on the nail head: larger ships are destinations in and out of themselves, but smaller ships get to more interesting places.

Puerto Plata is pretty much the same as Labadee (sight-wise) or CocoCay (swim-up bar and artificial pools).

If you want excitement (and crowds, a necessary fuel for action), go with Oasis.

If you want peace (even if boring), go with Grandeur.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We sailed Oasis end of August with 6500+ passengers and it felt to crowded for us when it came to elevator waits, long lines for WJ, packed pool decks on sea days and lots of rude people, IMO.  

We did WJ twice and avoided after our bad experiences each time.   

There are plenty of food options.

We did boardwalk balcony on Allure and didn't care for it.   You have to keep your curtains closed unless you want others across the way to see right in your cabin and it was noisy to sit on the balcony.  No noise issue in the cabin.  I guess we are just oceanview balcony kinda people.

I fully agree about the Windjammer. The lines for prime time breakfast and lunch are ridiculous. It should be at least 50 percent larger. It's poorly designed in my opinion.

• Like 1

We've been on Grandeur a few times. We are fine with it. We've never been on the big ships. Largest was Liberty. If you are cruising mainly for ports, then it is a hotel room that takes you to interesting places. ☺️ Grandeur is less crowded than Enchantment stretched. Service is good and staff is friendly. 

If you want the water slides and flow riders and things, then you should probably take the Oasis or Ovation class. 

• Like 1

Oasis class does a good job managing the crowds.  So, I wouldn't say its "too big" as opposed to "too much"  If you're the type of person who has the energy to go.  Or a type of OCD who wants to try everything that the ship has to offer, then Oasis class is "too much" for 7 nights.  I can't even fathom the 3 and 4 night runs on Oasis.  By virtue of having over 5400 passengers, they have multiple venues and multiple activities to split them up.  As a result, one can feel like they need to try everything in a giant buffet.

I know at the end of my 7 nights on Allure, I needed a vacation from the running around i did.

Personally, when I did my 12 night Enchantment back in March.  I found that pace so refreshing that I really actually relaxed.  Enchantment is a stretched Grandeur, but only has 1 specialty restaurant.  The fact that I felt like I did not need to squeeze in extras here and there because they were offered and available was a refreshing pace.

Was on the Freedom last week and on the Symphony this week. Both were/are full ships. I would say that the Freedom felt much more crowded. Oasis class does a great job of spreading out guests throughout the ship IMHO.

Our only question now is where we will go. Currently headed to Cozumel but there’s a tropical system headed in the same direction that we’re scheduled to cruise which is Roatan and Costa Maya. I’m guessing a trip to Nassau is in order after a rainy Cozumel. Captain announced yesterday when leaving Coco Cay that he was keeping an eye out for it. That should make some of the guests on this sailing happy. 😳🙂🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

We have been on Grandeur, and also Allure and Harmony.  Very different.  Enjoyed all of them.  Do you have kids along?  If so, go with one of the Oasis-class ships.  Grandeur is much smaller but a very high service level and very relaxing but much less to do on board.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bloomin Onion said:

Specifically does it take longer than usual to embark and disembark especially at the ports of call?

no

Does the check in process take a lot longer, the lines within the ship for restaurants, stores, etc?

no

We loved Harmony.

Edited to add: disembarkation on Harmony was a breeze after Thanksgiving week 2021. Disembarkation on Allure this June was pretty bad in my book, but in 2019 it was nice and easy.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

While this is such a subjective issue, count me one more to the no, it isn't too big ship and not really that crowder, other than when it is supposed to be like after shows or at port's gangway opening time. As some of others pointed out, the main concern from my experience is that there is rarely a place where you can relate to the sea once you're deep onboard, except maybe the pool decks. But that's sort of ok on me, once my unique experience was on a quite port intensive cruise in Europe, with only a sea day, and I was most of the day touring the ports. At night really it is for some entertainment followed by bed time.

12 hours ago, Rysyonok said:

go with Oasis.

If you want peace (even if boring), go with Grandeur.

Never had a crowding problem on O class, only problem is if you go with friends, somehow you never get to enjoy the ship.  We just got off Grandeur last month.  Won't be repeating, just doesn't have enough for us.  We pretty much just sat at the bars and conversed with the 2 couples we went with.  Odyssey and Icon will be just us!  We will have time to enjoy the ships.  I don't consider any of the sisters nor Odyssey too big.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

Remember, when Oasis was first being built, RCI also designed and built a new terminal in FLL just for that class. Significant difference was two boarding ramps, and more sections, so it wasn't as steep as the original terminals. And the ships were designed to be docked on the starboard side, so passengers had a smoother flow on and off.

The elimination of the health questionnaire, the use of Ipad devices, and having the seapass cards in the stateroom streamlined the boarding.

The new muster system eliminated the crowds following the muster drill.

As more of the Oasis class ships were built, new terminals were built in Miami, Port Canaveral, and now Galveston. And, an actual terminal was built in Bayonne that accommodates the Quantum class, and the summer Oasis visits.

Debarkation was improved by the same features as embarkation,  and the implementation of facial recognition by customs and immigration worked very well.

Last Allure cruise, we docked port side in FLL. and the difference in debarking was obvious how much difference it was from starboard docking. The flow was just not there.

I am on Allure right now for our first Oasis class cruise. And while the ship itself isn't too big there are way too many people on it. I have never been herded around like cattle like we have been the past couple of days. The staff works hard at getting you service but the wait times for drinks is ridiculous. I actually love the ship itself. Walking through Central Park last night was amazing. You really can't believe you are on a ship while you are in there. We have 4 days left on this ship and maybe our opinions will change. But we currently don't think we will ever an Oasis class again. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I am on Allure right now for our first Oasis class cruise. And while the ship itself isn't too big there are way too many people on it. I have never been herded around like cattle like we have been the past couple of days. The staff works hard at getting you service but the wait times for drinks is ridiculous. I actually love the ship itself. Walking through Central Park last night was amazing. You really can't believe you are on a ship while you are in there. We have 4 days left on this ship and maybe our opinions will change. But we currently don't think we will ever an Oasis class again. 

right now, I am sure, a lot of the crew is still getting covid, so they are constantly short on staff. It has nothing to do with the Oasis class.

Oasis class our favorite.  Never felt they were too big.  Have been on Radiance, Freedom and quantum class, and find the smaller class ships lacking in things to do.  Looking forward  to our Wonder cruise in January.  On the other hand still trying to decide when to book ICON.  We're in our 70's so tend to stay mostly on the ship.  Most ports we've sailed to multiple times and don't find any excursions that appeal to us.  Love being on the ship when it's quiet.  Will probably get off at Cococay  but also been there twice and the excitement is definitely not hugely appealing anymore.

When we travel with our family, grandkids we do get off more.often.

I'm exploring cruise options for next year and several of the places we really want to visit including St. Thomas are on Oasis of the Seas or Harmony of the Seas, the largest class of ships not just within Royal Caribbean but in general. The marketing is proud of how big they are and how much they offer. But I'm curious if any of y'all think they're TOO big. Specifically does it take longer than usual to embark and disembark especially at the ports of call? Does the check in process take a lot longer, the lines within the ship for restaurants, stores, etc? The largest ships we've been on previously are Explorer of the Seas and the Norwegian Getaway. 

Also I noticed from the pictures a lot of the rooms have balconies overlooking the "Main Street" open area in the middle of the ship courtyard style. Is the soundproofing in these rooms really good enough where the noise from outside doesn't enter the rooms? 

No, you’ll be surprised at how intimate these ships are.  Generally, we’ve never felt crowded on Oasis Class Ships.   Have a great time!

Oasis has been around for 13 years.  Clearly not too big or they wouldn’t keep building them.  Didn’t our first 12 years again and mainly cruise oasis class ever since.  By far my favorite ships, and I’ve sailed on a lot of ships big and small.  

But I'm curious if any of y'all think they're TOO big

Yes. 100% yes. Especially as a traveler who doesn't have children (or nieces/nephews to take traveling yet), Icon (and other oasis class ships) especially feel too big and there's no amount of money you could pay me to be around that many screaming children.

I was on freedom of the seas in May and we docked behind Oasis. It was an interesting experience to see the sheer size of that ship and consider how many passengers were on it. I've noticed a trend with RCL toward inward looking spaces vs. outward- the latter of which is why I cruise in the first place, the former being for the benefit of the bottom line of the company.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, notscb said:

Yes. 100% yes. Especially as a traveler who doesn't have children (or nieces/nephews to take traveling yet), Icon (and other oasis class ships) especially feel too big and there's no amount of money you could pay me to be around that many screaming children.

I was on freedom of the seas in May and we docked behind Oasis. It was an interesting experience to see the sheer size of that ship and consider how many passengers were on it. I've noticed a trend with RCL toward inward looking spaces vs. outward- the latter of which is why I cruise in the first place, the former being for the benefit of the bottom line of the company.

I think you have the wrong impression about oasis class.  I probably did 10-15 Oasis class cruises before I started having kids and never once experienced what you are talking about.  If anything, the size of oasis probably makes it so you don’t have to be around kids if they bother you.  There are so many areas that kids just wouldn’t frequent and there are areas more suited for them that they probably congregate more there.  Regardless, freedom and other classes also draw a lot of kids at the times oasis does.  See a lot of kids on a ship is mostly the time you travel,  not oasis vs other classes.   

Maybe Icon will draw more kids with the massive water park, but oasis class historically has been great for balance IMO.  If you haven’t been on Oasis class, you might be surprised.