FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

9 hours ago, sgvcruiser said:

Just to piggy back on this topic. This will be our first HAL and San Diego cruise and we are given 12.50 boarding. Would it be better to show up later like 2 pm instead? 

Probably 

9 hours ago, sgvcruiser said:

Just to piggy back on this topic. This will be our first HAL and San Diego cruise and we are given 12.50 boarding. Would it be better to show up later like 2 pm instead? 

It depends on your priorities IMO.  If you hate standing in lines or waiting, the later the better. 

However, the first day there are a number of things we like to do (making reservations for excursions/dining/etc) and get settled in to our cabin (unpacking, checking out the cabin, attending the mandatory safety drill, and getting the feel for the ship).  Also, sometimes activities are scheduled for the 2-4 PM period (such as Mariner welcome reception).

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

Are your bookings linked? That may help get the same boarding times.

That's a good point!  I will get theirs and see if our TA can do that. It would certainly help! 🙂

19 hours ago, DENIE said:

I am "following" this post as there is so much good information!  Our cruise on Koningsdam departs on 12/3.  We have no status (this is our 2nd HAL cruise), and too early to have our boarding time appear. We are traveling with another couple, one of whom has mobility issues, but is not in a wheelchair (uses a cane).  Fortunately, we have a 2-bedroom suite reserved across the street at the Springhill/Renaissance by Marriott.  Hopefully we can get the same check-in time as we may need to help with his luggage.  At least we should have a comfy lobby to wait and ample opportunity for a good breakfast! Fortunately, all of us are very familiar with downtown San Diego.

My wife also uses a cane. In the past, the staff have seen her walking outside, and brought her a wheelchair. Then, after security and check in, she was transferred to another wheelchair and taken to the end of the boarding ramp, at the ship’s entrance. Then she resumed walking with her cane.

We are embarking from San Diego (11/26) and will find out if the process has changed. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 4:43 PM, RuthC said:

When wheelchair assistance is needed for embarkation, all status that might have gained you some priority goes out the window. 
Your name is taken, and people are boarded based on first come, first served. 

Boarding for wheelchair passengers cannot start before 11:30 since the 'pushers' are at lunch until then. On some ships there don't seem to be too many wheelchairs or pushers, which slows down the process. The more people who need assistance, the longer it will take. 

As always Ruth, you are very helpful. Thanks.

23 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Hi Ruth ....I hope a San Diego HAL sailing is in your future plans.  I'll make this a generic reply; however, I suspect you are 4*(+).

Arrive at the terminal, presumably via the parking lot and have your Boarding Pass in hand.

Door greeters will evaluate your Mariner status (and needs) and show you to either a designated ADA waiting area just inside, or to the appropriate lineup for security screening.

You will be assisted through security by ground staff to another set of chairs where the ship's pushers can take over, aid you through check-in, and up an elevator to the ship.

David

Ah, I should have read thru the entire thread, before replying earlier. This is great information, David. Thanks.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, DAllenTCY said:

Hi Ruth ....I hope a San Diego HAL sailing is in your future plans.  I'll make this a generic reply; however, I suspect you are 4*(+).

I'm pretty sure that a long time ago, RuthC mentioned she was Platinum, so definitely she's over 4* 🙂  I think she's pretty modest about that.  As I said, I think she's mentioned it only once or twice, unlike some posters who regularly mention their status.

Working as a house cleaner has shown me that some of the people who say the least are the ones who have the best reasons to say plenty, and choose to not say it. I suspect some of the highest status cruisers, best tippers, and most highly respected members of their home communities never mention it on Cruise Critic.

PS --- I'm looking forward to an opportunity to cruise from SD again.  Won't be soon, but it will happen 😃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

For those in the know: I have a 2:30 PM, Group J boarding time for the Koningsdam on November 19th.  It also states on the boarding docs that I must be on board by 3:00 (1 hour before departure).  With only a 1/2 hour buffer, should I go ahead and show up at 1:30 and if I'm not let in, just walk next door and wait?

Thank you,

Steve

19 minutes ago, stephenjstrong1972 said:

Hello,

For those in the know: I have a 2:30 PM, Group J boarding time for the Koningsdam on November 19th.  It also states on the boarding docs that I must be on board by 3:00 (1 hour before departure).  With only a 1/2 hour buffer, should I go ahead and show up at 1:30 and if I'm not let in, just walk next door and wait?

Thank you,

Steve

The port is strict according to everything I hear from people that actually work at the port. They will make you wait.

1 hour ago, stephenjstrong1972 said:

Hello,

Thank you,

Steve

Be there at 2:30.  Hopefully your boarding experience will be a good one.  The ship will sail when all groups have boarded and provisions have been loaded.  We were on the Koningsdam last week and it was dark before we finally pulled out.  

22 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Be there at 2:30.  Hopefully your boarding experience will be a good one.  The ship will sail when all groups have boarded and provisions have been loaded.  We were on the Koningsdam last week and it was dark before we finally pulled out.  

I am just off the Kdam today, along with Oaktree.  Our embarkation check in  time was 11:30 and we arrived in the hotel shuttle around 11:10.  In the past, shuttles could drive through the gate and onto the pier, but not this time.  Our shuttle unloaded in the lot before the gate and we had to walk our luggage through the gate to where the baggage handlers were.  We then walked to the staging area where there were already many passengers lined up behind time/group signs waiting to board.  As it happened, our group was called before we had a chance to get in line...were standing in the right place at the right time...we showed our passes and went into the terminal.  Once through security screening ( which went quickly) we went to priority check in and to the designated waiting area, where MANY people were already waiting.  Our group was called and from gate to our room was only 45 minutes!

Disembarkation went smoothly.  There was a huge line (past the Club Orange dining room!) but it moved quickly at 8:20, being controlled by staff, down the escalator to go through customs.  Customs line went quickly with about 5 stations open.  Much improved over our last time there in February....a pleasant end to a great cruise!

As oaktreeb said, go at your time....should go quickly, and yes, we didn't leave until 6 PM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Thanks to lais and DAllenTCY for all the tips on boarding in San Diego. I will be doing it in December so am staying up to date with your suggestions and information.

Hope your email hasn't changed since 2016.  I sent you a message.

Koningsdam Thanksgiving cruise......2,860 expected to board.

Please do not arrive prior to your Boarding Pass time slot.

Everyone must be present by 3:30 pm.

Have your passport along with your Boarding Pass clearly visible (not folded, or in an envelope).... and in your hand when you enter the terminal.  

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

9 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Koningsdam Thanksgiving cruise......2,860 expected to board.

Please do not arrive prior to your Boarding Pass time slot.

Everyone must be present by 3:30 pm.

David

Omg! Hal must be happy.  That's about 200 over ship capacity from what i can see.  Is that even possible? Thank you.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, farawaygal said:

To those of you who work at the cruise terminal will there be a Verifly lane for the Zuiderdam which leaves on Nov. 17?  Thank you.

We are not using VeriFLY at this port 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Omg! Hal must be happy.  That's about 200 over ship capacity from what i can see.  Is that even possible? Thank you.

Probably a lot of kids.  Didn’t Hal just recently have a kids sail free promo?  

• Like 1