Dining changes

MeganGC1983

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

I am kinda ticked about the ice cream reduction.  Opening the ice cream at 11 a.m. is ridiculous.  

I literally haul French vanilla Coffeemate cups from home and STILL have to use ice cream to “doctor up” the swill they call “coffee” in the buffet.  And I wake up at 5-6 a.m. so it’s not like I show up late and expect fresh coffee.   

If kids are going to mess with the machines, I doubt it would happen first thing in the morning.  

With the curfew they now have, I'd say that the hours the ice cream is closed are now the hours there shouldn't be any messes made.

Let's face it, having the stations closed during the night isn't saving much in the way of ice cream stuff.  It's not having a crew member servicing the machine for all those hours.

I do wonder though... will the ice cream be available 24/7 in the family harbour lounge?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jl528300 said:

If I go to MDR and order two entrees, then later in the night I go to Chibang or something like that and order another one - is that tracked? Is it only MDR?

Thanks in advance.

They now ring up what you order in the MDR (I notice the $0.00 charges on my S&S statement) so it's certainly feasible they could charge you for extra visits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shof515 said:

they can still eliminate the first elegant night and then just have one elegant night

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they eliminated all the elegant nights. 

We could cruise any cruise (including 10+ day Europe cruises) with just carry-ons if we didn't have to bring "dress" shoes for my husband's size 12.5 feet and my two growing boys who are already in men's sizes even though they are 8 and 10.  

• Like 4

On 11/2/2022 at 9:57 PM, Drew B 58 said:

I completely understand and support the charge for a third entree.  I don’t understand the soft-serve ice cream cut back.  Don’t people “waste” ice cream every bit as much from 11:00-12:00 as from 12:00-11:00?  If anything, I think this will lead to MORE waste as people choose to get an ice cream they neither want nor need during the hours it’s open, just so they don’t miss out.

Good point. This will end up being my husband and kids. They will get it and take it back to the room and put it in the fridge for later...and it probably won't be eaten.

• Like 1

The increase in food prices shouldn't be a surprise.

Going to the supermarket has turned into sticker shock the last year.  Something I never really noticed or paid attention to before.  

I equate those ice cream machines with self serve soda (Ugh, nasty) so it's something I never used and would never miss if they cut it down to an hour a day. 

Cruising will continue as a popular travel venue and people will pay the price if it's something they want.

All inclusive vacations still nickel and dime for everything in between.

Smooth sailing!

• Like 5

On 11/3/2022 at 4:11 PM, Badfinger said:

But none of that matters to us anymore.  Given the horrible service,  long lines, and stale entertainment on our June cruise, unlikely we would pick a cruise as our vacation anytime soon.

Or perhaps try another cruise line. There are over 320 cruise ships out there and dozens of cruise lines. We've sailed on 8 different lines so far, looking to add MSC and P&O in 2023. 

Might I suggest you look at Celebrity, Virgin Voyages, Norwegian and possibly Royal Caribbean as other cruise lines to try?

• Celebrity is more of an 'adult-resort' feel with great dining, amazing pools and outstanding bars.
  • Virgin is adult-only with outstanding food (all meals included) and includes WiFi, soft drinks, gratuities and more in your cruise fare.
  • NCL Breakaway Class and Prima class have outstanding entertainment, amazing specialty dining and lots of fun things to do on the ships, or just chill at the waterfront.
  • Royal Caribbean is the most similar to Carnival, though their food is in general a step above Carnival and I prefer the entertainment on Royal vs. Carnival. 

Before giving up on cruising altogether, perhaps you just haven't found the right cruise line for your vacation style. If you really want to step up, then you start looking at Azamara, Seabourn, Oceania and other more luxury lines. 

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 3

It really isn't in your favor to book a Carnival cruise far in advance anymore. Get to your sail date and realize you have to bring your own sheets or toilet paper but you paid expecting those items to be included.

Might as well just stay at the La Quinta by the airport and eat at the Golden Corral at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

In my opinion Carnival has gone about this (and the last round of cutbacks) all wrong. Nobody can argue that their costs have gone up recently. So instead of all of this taking away ice cream nonsense, they needed to just raise the fares $20/person across the board. If they need to charge more for premium experiences like the steakhouse as well, so be it. I'm very understanding about having to pay a little more due to market conditions. I am FAR less understanding about feeling like they are cheapening my vacation and experience and taking away things that used to be included.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Super27 said:

In my opinion Carnival has gone about this (and the last round of cutbacks) all wrong. Nobody can argue that their costs have gone up recently. So instead of all of this taking away ice cream nonsense, they needed to just raise the fares $20/person across the board. If they need to charge more for premium experiences like the steakhouse as well, so be it. I'm very understanding about having to pay a little more due to market conditions. I am FAR less understanding about feeling like they are cheapening my vacation and experience and taking away things that used to be included.

Although I agree that Carnival should raise the cruisefares to what is needed to keep a reasonable profit while maintaining product quality, I think they are unlikely to choose this route because it will scare away their target audience - the "I want to get me on a ship as cheap as I can" cruiser.  The onboard experience cutbacks aren't necessarily considered (or even known about, in the case of Blue Cards) by this target audience.  Carnival will keep cutting back as deep as they can while filling their ships with thousands willing to settle for what Carnival gives them.

Edited by ShakyBeef
left out phrase
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So instead of all of this taking away ice cream nonsense, 

They did not take away the ice cream only shorten the availability of it.  99% of the cruisers will be ok with this as they still have it available for 13 hrs a day...the 13 hrs the majority of cruisers are awake and eating on a regular basis.  When I am booking a cruise I cannot say the availability of ice cream plays into the decision, ever.  I am sure most people will get over it and enjoy their cruise anyway and if not, well there are other options out there if its that important.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Although I agree that Carnival should raise the cruisefares to what is needed to keep a reasonable profit, I think they are unlikely to choose this route because it will scare away their target audience - the "I want to get me on a ship as cheap as I can" cruiser.  The onboard experience cutbacks aren't necessarily considered (or even known about, in the case of Blue Cards) by this target audience.  Carnival will keep cutting back as deep as they can while filling their ships with thousands willing to settle for what Carnival gives them.

I think you're 100% right. But one would think the amount of flighting on the ships lately for example would cause them to think twice about just catering to the lowest common denominator among guests. It's just sad they aren't more focused on loyal repeat customers who obviously still appreciate that Carnival is a good value but also care about the experiences (and particularly food) they've always offered.

I am extremely brand-loyal, particularly in all of my travel choices Carnival included, but as we speak I'm currently shopping between Celebrity and Princess for my February cruise...the cutbacks have been annoying me for awhile, but the fact that I got woken up at 2am on my cruise last week by two of Carnival's blue card specials fighting in the hallway and slamming each other against my door reaffirmed that it's time to look elsewhere, at least until (hopefully) Carnival wakes up and realizes they need to reevaluate the direction they are going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

So instead of all of this taking away ice cream nonsense, 

They did not take away the ice cream only shorten the availability of it.  99% of the cruisers will be ok with this as they still have it available for 13 hrs a day...the 13 hrs the majority of cruisers are awake and eating on a regular basis.  When I am booking a cruise I cannot say the availability of ice cream plays into the decision, ever.  I am sure most people will get over it and enjoy their cruise anyway and if not, well there are other options out there if its that important.  

Why should I or anyone else have to "get over it" on a vacation that we are spending our hard-earned money on?!? Vacation is supposed to be about splurging and going all out, not just settling for whatever you can get. And no, I don't book my cruise based on the availability of ice cream, but I do book all of my travel based on not feeling like I'm being nickel and dimed or getting a cheapened experience. 

This is a much bigger issue than Carnival too. I've seen it with hotels as an example. I used to be a die-hard Hilton customer, had Diamond status for many years. Since the economic downturn in 2020, Hilton has taken the Carnival approach of cutbacks cutbacks cutbacks, while Marriott has consistently kept up a quality experience, admittedly at a slightly higher cost in most markets. I haven't stepped foot in a Hilton property since and don't intend to ever again...perhaps it's time to make the same type of choice with my cruises.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Super27 said:

I think you're 100% right. But one would think the amount of flighting on the ships lately for example would cause them to think twice about just catering to the lowest common denominator among guests. It's just sad they aren't more focused on loyal repeat customers who obviously still appreciate that Carnival is a good value but also care about the experiences (and particularly food) they've always offered.

I am extremely brand-loyal, particularly in all of my travel choices Carnival included, but as we speak I'm currently shopping between Celebrity and Princess for my February cruise...the cutbacks have been annoying me for awhile, but the fact that I got woken up at 2am on my cruise last week by two of Carnival's blue card specials fighting in the hallway and slamming each other against my door reaffirmed that it's time to look elsewhere, at least until (hopefully) Carnival wakes up and realizes they need to reevaluate the direction they are going.

I hear ya.

I wholeheartedly recommend Celebrity!  Although, I admit, I haven't sailed with them in several years, so their product may have dropped in quality as well.  So far, of the lines DH and I have sailed (CCL, RCI, NCL, & X), X is our favourite.  I hope to cruise Princess someday, but I'm so focused on embarkation port (Baltimore), that I don't think it will be anytime soon.

The Carnival cutbacks have been blistering my butt for many years now, waaaaay before COVID and their recent economical hardships.  Several years ago, I stopped cruising on Carnival unless the sailing was with a group of friends/family that wanted me to join them, or it was a deeply discounted (at least $3000 off through FunPoints on my Carnival MC) cruise.  Outside of these considerations, when I choose to spend my vacation money on a cruise these days it is with anyone but Carnival.  And it is the constant cutbacks and degradation of the onboard experience, including unsavoury behaviour of fellow passengers, that has led to this decision.  So, yeah, I get it.  I wish you all the best in finding a better cruiseline.  I don't doubt you'll find one.  I think you and I both feel that they're all better than Carnival.😉

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo
  • Like 3

On 11/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, Eli_6 said:

That's a good question regarding the Seaday Brunch because the menu is a little less clear on what is an entree and what is not...so can you order bacon, eggs, and their french toast or will that be three things?  

We just did a side by side on the Liberty & Mardi Gras. I always order the 12 Hour French Toast. It was awful! It was like white bread floating in a plate of oil. Yes I did talk to the MDR desk about it. 

Guess I'll be saving a lot of calories from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can you order the steakhouse menu to your cabin? I was able to do that on HAL and I enjoyed it a lot— my solo cruise and I ate on the balcony. My January cruise is with a group I don’t really know and my 25 year old is really going so he can hang out with his friends.  We literally got the last cabin available so we are waitlisted for dinner. I figure I’m going to be on my own for dinner and I would love surf and turf to my cabin.

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

I hope that the economy doesn't nosedive completely and dry up the discretionary funds of this new clientele and Carnival is left with a diminished customer base because many of us that were once loyal have fled to avoid the drama.

There were customers before you and there will be customers after you, but you should do what makes you happy.  If Carnival no longer makes the grade for you, its in your best interest to move on dont you think? 

Its unrealistic to think everything stays the same over the years, everything changes and loyal or not, there is always someone waiting behind you to get on.  People should never be miserable on vacation and when it gets to that point, time to move on to making yourself happy.  There are plenty of options out there to make everyone happy while on a hard earned vacation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

I hope that the economy doesn't nosedive completely and dry up the discretionary funds of this new clientele and Carnival is left with a diminished customer base because many of us that were once loyal have fled to avoid the drama.

There were customers before you and there will be customers after you, but you should do what makes you happy.  If Carnival no longer makes the grade for you, its in your best interest to move on dont you think? 

Its unrealistic to think everything stays the same over the years, everything changes and loyal or not, there is always someone waiting behind you to get on.  People should never be miserable on vacation and when it gets to that point, time to move on to making yourself happy.  There are plenty of options out there to make everyone happy while on a hard earned vacation.  

This was hypothetical. I am booked on Carnival real soon and will consider Carnival for the immediate future for certain cruises moving forward. While I am disappointed in what their business model is trending towards, I am not in the "Never sailing Carnival again!" crowd. They still offer the best deal in cruising and I wish them all the success and hope my hypothetical is wrong. But I strongly feel they just need to raise prices some, keep the experience the same and try to appeal to a better customer base. I have sailed many years on Carnival. While not the "classiest" line, they are hands down the "funnest" line at sea and we have loved the experiences. I am far from a hater, but sometimes you need some tough love. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. One thing is for certain, while some experiences are better than others, I am never miserable when I'm on vacation. Most of the best days of my life. Cheers! 😁

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

I haven't stepped foot in a Hilton property since and don't intend to ever again...perhaps it's time to make the same type of choice with my cruises.

That is what is great about having choices, you have them!  Its all good!

Very true. Sometimes I just get frustrated when I have a brand I really like and then they go and disappoint me. But at the end of the day you're absolutely right...it's all about choices and there are other options out there to explore that I might like even better so gotta see the positive!

• Like 2

I understand that things change and do appreciate a notice of the changes.

The length of the notice and the included lecture was annoying.  The notice made a lot of assumptions about peoples behavior.  Getting very tired of virtue signaling and being talked down to.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1