Should Silversea be concerned about Crystal?

commodoredave

5 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Here’s a thought. Remember, Silversea “stretched” the Spirit by inserting an entire new section of the ship.  The same could be done in the Crystal ships, but in this case possibly replacing a section with a newly configured one. That would also allow the addition of verandas.

Except that would probably take at least two years to design, engineer, and build. And they're planing to start cruising next year.

It makes sense to combine 3 suites into 2 in some places. That requires some structural work, but not a huge amount. As long as they don't need to move the plumbing and ventilation stacks, moving walls and interior fittings is do-able. And it addresses the single largest complaint about the ships: suites which are much smaller than the luxury competition. So if three 200 square foot cabins become two three hundred square foot cabins, then the ships become much more competitive with SS, SB, and Regent ships. And a lower total passenger count makes the ships more appealing to many as well. As always, the devil will be in the details: are they revamping a few dozen suites, or many?

I wonder how long they can wait to announce details and itineraries, and start accepting bookings, if they truly aim to be sailing within a year? It's one thing to get the ships renovated, but they'll need to fill them with thousands of passengers to avoid hemorrhaging more money.

55 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Except that would probably take at least two years to design, engineer, and build. And they're planing to start cruising next year.

It makes sense to combine 3 suites into 2 in some places. That requires some structural work, but not a huge amount. As long as they don't need to move the plumbing and ventilation stacks, moving walls and interior fittings is do-able. And it addresses the single largest complaint about the ships: suites which are much smaller than the luxury competition. So if three 200 square foot cabins become two three hundred square foot cabins, then the ships become much more competitive with SS, SB, and Regent ships. And a lower total passenger count makes the ships more appealing to many as well. As always, the devil will be in the details: are they revamping a few dozen suites, or many?

I wonder how long they can wait to announce details and itineraries, and start accepting bookings, if they truly aim to be sailing within a year? It's one thing to get the ships renovated, but they'll need to fill them with thousands of passengers to avoid hemorrhaging more money.

And after 3 cabins are combined and made into 2 cabins, the you will be paying at least 1 and a half times as much for a cabin than you are now. Since they have to cover the costs of the upgrade, it's likely that you will be paying twice as much for a  cabin as you did before. Since most of the post seem to indicate that Crystal fans valued the money saving they got from having a small cabin, will they still book Crystal if they have to pay twice as much for a cabin that is still minimal size for the other cruise lines in the small luxury ship business.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

And after 3 cabins are combined and made into 2 cabins, the you will be paying at least 1 and a half times as much for a cabin than you are now. Since they have to cover the costs of the upgrade, it's likely that you will be paying twice as much for a  cabin as you did before. Since most of the post seem to indicate that Crystal fans valued the money saving they got from having a small cabin, will they still book Crystal if they have to pay twice as much for a cabin that is still minimal size for the other cruise lines in the small luxury ship business.

Yes we would if the new Crystal is anywhere close to the old Crystal. Waiting and hoping.

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We always booked a PH so I'm sure that's not an issue for us.

12 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I would certainly give it a try. 

• 2 months later...

Something similar to that.  For a few months (ending about a week ago) Crystal allowed interested customers to make a $500 deposit for which they would get first exclusive access to book the voyages when they were released.  This was open to anyone who made a deposit, and you would also get OBC if you booked within a certain period of the release of the schedule.  About 10 days later, former Crystal Society members are also given access.  Booking is open to the general public around March 1.  That's my general understanding;  there are more fine points and conditions that the Crystal superfans have delved.  I'm mainly interested in observing how the old SS owners re-imagine the line.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

I’m sure that the new Crystal will have its niche and fans, but I’m sure Silversea isn’t concerned. 

They would not be smart business people if they weren't concerned. There's not an infinite market for the type of cruises served up by Silversea, Seabourn, Regent and Crystal — and the prices they charge. When Crystal re-launches, they'll be aiming to attract nearly 2,000 people per week to their ships, and some of those 2,000 could otherwise be cruising on Silversea. Add to that that the new Crystal owner is the former longtime CEO of Silversea and son of its founder, so he's a knowledgeable and likely formidable competitor in the luxury cruise space. None of this says that the new Crystal, with their old ships, will derail Silversea — but you better believe SS executives are keeping a close eye on how things go with Crystal's reincarnation. 

• Like 5

On 11/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, commodoredave said:

Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio, the founder and former owner of Silversea and a driving force behind the new Crystal, has now poached former Silversea executives Fabio Agostini, Kim Berman, Fernando Delgado Vintimilla and Fernando Barroso de Oliveira while promoting Camille Drevillon, also a Silversea veteran. Is d'Ovidio trying to recreate the old Silversea, would you be tempted to give it a try, and should execs at Silversea be concerned? 

The problem for me is the two old out of date ships.

There is too much quality elsewhere with other lines.

The issue will be that old Crystal cruisers think that they will be going back in time and getting what they had on old Crystal.

Some of those people will be in for a shock.

Let's see what reports we get when the day finally comes.

Time will tell,my bags are packed and I haven't stopped sailing on other lines.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Crystal itineraries and pricing are published. Based on the pricing, Silversea has nothing to worry about.. The new Crystal owners live in a fantasy world. Med cruises start at $500 USD per night for an entry level cabins (215 soft OV) on 20-25 years old ships.

Too bad. We wanted to have another option in addition to SS, SB and Oceania, but obviously not going to pay those prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Crystal itineraries and pricing are published. Based on the pricing, Silversea has nothing to worry about.. The new Crystal owners live in a fantasy world. Med cruises start at $500 USD per night for an entry level cabins (215 soft OV) on 20-25 years old ships.

Too bad. We wanted to have another option in addition to SS, SB and Oceania, but obviously not going to pay those prices.

I suppose that was inevitable in this day and age.

I can think of one person that will pay a Kings ransom just to get back on these old ships.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I suppose that was inevitable in this day and age.

I can think of one person that will pay a Kings ransom just to get back on these old ships.😁

I think they aim to be in the Guinness World Records as the most expensive luxury line with the oldest ships.

But wait, according to Anderson, they are not one of the luxury cruise lines. They "in a class by itself."

Now it's all clear. 

Its own class. Its own prices.

38 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I think they aim to be in the Guinness World Records as the most expensive luxury line with the oldest ships.

But wait, according to Anderson, they are not one of the luxury cruise lines. They "in a class by itself."

Now it's all clear. 

Its own class. Its own prices.

Yes,that may prove to be right.

Oceania have been slotted into the so called premium class of line also but new Crystal has some old Crystal guests that want luxury but are only willing to pay the premium price.

Manfredi will not be selling small suites on old ships for bargain basement prices as he will want a return on his investment PDQ

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,that may prove to be right.

Oceania have been slotted into the so called premium class of line also but new Crystal has some old Crystal guests that want luxury but are only willing to pay the premium price.

Manfredi will not be selling small suites on old ships for bargain basement prices as he will want a return on his investment PDQ

Well, it doesn't matter what Manfredi wants.. matters what the guests will think and if they will be willing to pay 15-20% more than SS or SB to sail in smaller cabins on 20-25 year old ships. But based on all the excitement on Crystal boards.. it's almost like they get those cruises for free.. people willing to wait over an hour on the phones. Go figure. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, it doesn't matter what Manfredi wants.. matters what the guests will think and if they will be willing to pay 15-20% more than SS or SB to sail in smaller cabins on 20-25 year old ships. But based on all the excitement on Crystal boards.. it's almost like they get those cruises for free.. people willing to wait over an hour on the phones. Go figure. 

There's someone for everyone.😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Truly Crystallised. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

There's someone for everyone.😁

Absolutely!

My problem is that I keep looking for logic and rationale in everything. But some things are not logical and not rationale. As my wife keeps telling me, "if you don't like it - don't buy".

I probably should start listening to her..

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Absolutely!

My problem is that I keep looking for logic and rationale in everything. But some things are not logical and not rationale. As my wife keeps telling me, "if you don't like it - don't buy".

I probably should start listening to her..

Very wise woman 

• Like 1

Was just looking at the website. Veranda floor plan still shows a small cabin, with a small closet next to the bed .One of the reasons we weren’t crazy about the old Crystal. Don’t see us sailing with them in the future.

Edited by fdnycruiser
Error by auto correct
  • Like 1