New menus on Symphony reported

John&LaLa

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

The two RCL I was on in 2019 (9 night spring and 5 night fall), escargot was available every night. There was an escargot shortage happening around that time, and what was available was tending a bit on the small side, or being replaced with scallops on some ships. So whether they were offered every night really depended on availability. The shortage appears to have relaxed in the last few years. Escargot are classified as a pest in the US, so trying to farm them here has crazy restrictions.

I remember the shortage, but Royal never removed them from the menu.  I remember my wife and I to tease the waiter and always ordered them and the reply was "they are not available due to shortages".  Towards the end of cruise on Valentine's Day, my wife ordered the escargots, as usual, and she was pleasantly surprised that the waiter delivered in full butter 6 escargots.  Don't know where they got them but became available ever since.😊

14 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I remember the shortage, but Royal never removed them from the menu.  I remember my wife and I to tease the waiter and always ordered them and the reply was "they are not available due to shortages".  Towards the end of cruise on Valentine's Day, my wife ordered the escargots, as usual, and she was pleasantly surprised that the waiter delivered in full butter 6 escargots.  Don't know where they got them but became available ever since.😊

😁

Last March, they were on the menu every night but were scallops instead, every night.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RedIguana said:

The two RCL I was on in 2019 (9 night spring and 5 night fall), escargot was available every night. There was an escargot shortage happening around that time, and what was available was tending a bit on the small side, or being replaced with scallops on some ships. So whether they were offered every night really depended on availability. The shortage appears to have relaxed in the last few years. Escargot are classified as a pest in the US, so trying to farm them here has crazy restrictions.

in 2019 we sailed on Grandeur for New Year 2019, in May on Adventure, in November on Anthem and for Christmas on Explorer. Each cruise had nights without escargots after certain night.

Not a huge deal, but it looked like a system. I was surprised to see it every night last 2 years. 

15 minutes ago, May B said:

Someplace I read there’s something new for dinner called cottage pie (not to be confused with cottage cheese!). I hope I get to try it on my four-night on Brilliance next year.

Meat pies, such as cottage pie, are typically on menus sailing out UK and some other countries in Europe.   I have not yet seen on sailings out of the US.

• Like 1

If anyone else wants to see all the new menus as well as the old menus for comparison sake, I found them all posted here:

Royal Caribbean NEW menus on Symphony of the Seas and OLD menus.

While I'm definitely not happy about all the cuts, I can understand the need to streamline the menus.  I just wish Royal would be transparent about why they are doing it.  It's a cost cutting measure.  Period.  As a stockholder and cruise lover, I want to see the line thrive.  But these cuts seem extreme.  It's looking more and more like the Carnival menu.  And there are reasons I don't cruise Carnival! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, relmondcrsise said:

If anyone else wants to see all the new menus as well as the old menus for comparison sake, I found them all posted here:

While I'm definitely not happy about all the cuts, I can understand the need to streamline the menus.  I just wish Royal would be transparent about why they are doing it.  It's a cost cutting measure.  Period.  As a stockholder and cruise lover, I want to see the line thrive.  But these cuts seem extreme.  It's looking more and more like the Carnival menu.  And there are reasons I don't cruise Carnival! 

I'm a shareholder myself, and if you start pinching pennies, it may come back to bite you. 

Also, will the decision reached, one way or the other, is predicated on the feedback from the Symphony trial basis.

Ps, Sorry, I was responding to post #134.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, relmondcrsise said:

We are also stockholders and loyal to Royal but we disagree with Royal doing these changes. Royal is raising the price of everything which is understandable due to inflation, but over the years we have seen way too many take-aways also which always leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  We especially do not like the single lobster tail issue since they are Caribbean warm water lobsters which cost a lot less. We will pay for a great cruise but we will not pay for Royal to become a Carnival knock-off cruise line.

• Like 2

As a Diamond member, bye, bye Royal Caribbean. It's been a great ride. You are killing yourselves with these stupid moves. I have one cruise booked on the Icon with a REFUNDABLE deposit, and will see if you come to your senses before I cancel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EdandMary said:

We are also stockholders and loyal to Royal but we disagree with Royal doing these changes. Royal is raising the price of everything which is understandable due to inflation, but over the years we have seen way too many take-aways also which always leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  We especially do not like the single lobster tail issue since they are Caribbean warm water lobsters which cost a lot less. We will pay for a great cruise but we will not pay for Royal to become a Carnival knock-off cruise line.

Yes, and it's not like they are going to start charging Carnival prices.  If I'm getting a budget cruise, I want to pay budget prices.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, Tatka said:

So they sell claws separately?

There are many places, even here in New England, where you can buy or order just the tails.  The meat from the claws and bodies can be used in other ways including being sold as is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

As a Diamond member, bye, bye Royal Caribbean. It's been a great ride. You are killing yourselves with these stupid moves. I have one cruise booked on the Icon with a REFUNDABLE deposit, and will see if you come to your senses before I cancel.

Let me guess. You've complained before how stale the MDR was and said if they didn't change you'd cancel all your cruises?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EdandMary said:

I believe the lobster tails mentioned in this new scheme are cold water lobsters, hence larger and better-tasting.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 9:16 PM, garrymorere said:

Night 3. I gotta say the shrimp pasta was very good, I think that’s new. Also had the chocolate custard, sorry photo came out super blurry, nothing special but nothing terrible either. 

4FA117B1-BAB8-4339-BAA4-942EC8C411F5.jpeg

536C3CE7-BD4B-478F-AD55-BCD1D0C414C9.jpeg

00EBA10C-4BA5-4412-92A8-8FFF071E2A46.jpeg

D67EF55D-0C41-4EE4-BF28-974265075A9F.jpeg

Is it Lobster night yet?    Would love to see first hand the size of the tail they are serving this week and if it is good.   Thank you 😀

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is it Lobster night yet?    Would love to see first hand the size of the tail they are serving this week and if it is good.   Thank you 😀

What a crappy Italian night menu.  Vegetable linguini--Got forbid.  Where's the lasagna or stuffed manicotti.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

What a crappy Italian night menu.  Vegetable linguini--Got forbid.  Where's the lasagna or stuffed manicotti.

Not a fan of Royal's Lasagna 

Would try the linguini and fall back on chicken parm

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I had the Spaghetti Bolognese from the kids menu on our last Quantum cruise and quite enjoyed it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I had the Spaghetti Bolognese from the kids menu on our last Quantum cruise and quite enjoyed it.  

I also had as an entree and as an appetizer and it wasn't that far off from the one offered at Giovanni's.

• Like 1