GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Splendor

GeorgiaPeach51

Hubby is taking his white dinner jacket. Unfortunately, I just thought to get him to try on all his formal wear (he has 3 tuxes from our now non existent ballroom dancing group), only to discover nothing fits, not even one pair of black pants.

Short of going on a starvation diet (he refuses😄), he will wear the white jacket with a pair of dark gray trousers probably Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve.

I am taking one long dress, and a loose fitting cocktail dress for New Years in case I run into the same problem by the time we get to it. I think it’s quite likely😄.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegasdriven said:

Hubby is taking his white dinner jacket. Unfortunately, I just thought to get him to try on all his formal wear (he has 3 tuxes from our now non existent ballroom dancing group), only to discover nothing fits, not even one pair of black pants.

Short of going on a starvation diet (he refuses😄), he will wear the white jacket with a pair of dark gray trousers probably Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve.

I am taking one long dress, and a loose fitting cocktail dress for New Years in case I run into the same problem by the time we get to it. I think it’s quite likely😄.

My husband had Tux trousers that were too tight. He had the tailor on Regent work his magic for the princely sum of $15.

• Like 2

I think we better have a try on weekend! We had to buy hubby new trousers a few years ago. Like you we used to enjoy ballroom dancing and were in peak condition! We don’t dance anymore so know how the body morphology modifies!

Just now, vegasdriven said:

BBWC- wow, really! I think I will throw in a pair in case. Never even considered they would have a tailor on board. I assume this was pre Covid?

We have used tailor services onboard post-covid on Mariner as well as Voyager.  Tailors are on all ships more specifically to care for crew uniforms, etc.

• Like 1

Just want to say how much I have enjoyed your blog. It especially was interesting since I’ve been on the Explorer and Splendor. I’m curious if writing is your profession. You surely bring your experience to life. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We have just opened the weekend section of our newspaper. Pages 2 and 3 are an ad for RSSC.

There is a couple gazing fondly at one another in the photo…. He is wearing a suit!! It’s soft focus and I can’t decide if he has on a bow tie or if it’s just a shadow.

decision made, we are taking the suit! Ha ha.

No - that is definitely an open neck shirt with no bow tie 😜 her LBD is very smart though. That glass of champagne looks particularly welcoming  😂😂 My OH is taking a linen jacket but we are back before Christmas and no formal nights on the itinerary. Hope you have a fab cruise.

BBWC- wow, really! I think I will throw in a pair in case. Never even considered they would have a tailor on board. I assume this was pre Covid?

It was on this year’s world cruise. Tailors are available on all ships, as noted. Just call reception, they will make arrangements for the tailor to visit your suite and take measurements. It came back within a day, as well.

Hello Georgia Peach (and all); as someone on the Splendor from Barcelona-Miami, it was so nice to re-visit the cruise with this thread now that we are home and unpacked, returning to reality after a lovely cruise. Georgia Peach, your blog is a pleasure to read. And, from your photo, I think I encountered you and your hubby in the elevator one evening--you were both looking sharp as you were on your way to dine with a retired Admiral (?). I was the chap walking with a cane, which I use for better balance when the seas are a tad rough.  

Mostly, my and my wife's experiences were similar to yours. We did find occasional lapses in service in Compass Rose where at breakfast there occasionally could be long gaps in service, or at dinner when, occasionally, the timing was off. But not always, not major, and the fact that the servers were so willing to please, and so pleasant, well, that makes up for a lot. On other occasions, however, the service (and food) in that venue were great. Our favourite resto overall was Prime 7, whether at dinners or lunch. We did try Setta Marie, and the food and service were excellent, yet it can be a noisier venue when full. Pacific Rim, contrary to some reviews, we found to be excellent on both occasions we dined there. Chartreuse was also very good.

While I found the bar staff great, and with occasional service offered when lounging at the pool, some mixed a better drink than did others. As Georgia Peach suggested, one time when my dry martini was swimming in vermouth, I asked for a "do-over", resulting in a much improved version. Only if we mention (nicely) the occasional glitch does anyone know to fix it. 

The weather this cruise was fantastic! We also packed for cooler weather, so the laundry had to constantly wash my few short-sleeved shirts. It was also, for the most part, calm--only a few days of rougher seas, but even then, nothing too severe. 

The entertainment in various venues was very good. Some cast members can really sing. The guest performers who we saw (we dine later and do not rush a meal to attend a show) were excellent. One night at the cast "Broadway" show, which was very good, the lead singer carried on in a lounge with some members of the orchestra (they were all great) for a fantastic session of songs including by Elton John, and Sinatra, etc. It was standing room only, and a great way to cap the evening. 

Gino, the pianist and vocalist in the Explorer's lounge, is also not to be missed. He is very talented, takes requests, and is very approachable and friendly to all in attendance.     

We also enjoyed Bob, the lecturer on music history and related topics. An interesting speaker with topics to whom many could related. A nice way to spend some time in a later morning. 

As to the San Juan fiasco, the only criticism of Regent is that there should have been better communication and updates provided to those of us seated in the waiting area. As for the one couple who detained us all, from what I heard they may well have been fined (if so, good). But as others have stated, the process is out of Regent's control, including that the two elevators in the building were broken, making it very hard on those in wheelchairs, etc.  US citizens may wish to voice their views of this process to their elected officials. After all, in other first US ports of entry, the officials would come aboard to inspect if necessary and, if my memory works, on some occasions, all they would do (pre-Covid) is simply review the passports. When I asked a Regent officer why we had to go outside, she told me that this is what the San Juan officials insist upon. Apparently, they do not want to board the ship. 

At least we could walk off in Miami without a passport check (albeit the announcements were that we needed to have our passports ready for inspection). 

We met many lovely people on this crossing, and it was sad that the party ended last Saturday. But, we are on the Navigator in May, from Miami to Montreal (my home town), an eclectic itinerary. Perhaps on that cruise, Georgia Peach, we will meet. Yet due to the often slow internet (my experience when I did my daily email check to ensure no office crises, nor cat and dog emergencies), I did not try to read much else. It was nice to stay off the computer for a few weeks!

In addition to our May cruise, which was booked some time ago, we visited Eddie, the very knowledgeable future cruise consultant on Splendor, and ended up with two more bookings in 2024 and 2025. So, as we "put our money down", it must mean we enjoyed the product this time. 

Wishing everyone smooth seas and following winds. 

• Like 5

Ok. Here is how the debarking went.  Easy peezy.  The night before I threw things in my suitcase like a cat burglar getting ready to hop out the window as the owners open the front door.  Slammed that suitcase shut and that was as much attention as I paid to it.  It is crazy to me to gently fold and neatly stack clothing that is going to be laundered or dry cleaned on the other end.  But you do you!

We got up at 6:30 and did all the last minute stuff (including obsessively checking the empty drawers to be sure they are empty), then met friends for a last breakfast in Compass Rose.  We sat in the lobby for about ten minutes and shortly after they started calling numbers and colors.  We were group 2 red and off the ship in short order.  A brief line of about 5 people and we were gone.  Be sure you have your suite key card as you exit the ship because they have to track that you are not attempting to stow away by hiding in the closet or something.  Tempting, though!

We were going to share a van with another couple but there were none.  Only taxis that held two people.  Just then a rep of some kind came and said that since we had the Regent transfer we should go ahead and use the bus…she said it left every 10-15 minutes. Not.   But, we fell for it, and off we went.  I think taxis ran about $45.

Boarded the bus and sat for about 20 minutes then we were off to the airport.  About a ten minute drive.  First stop was for four American passengers.  Then the bus went to a different level of the airport and we walked straight into the Delta section of the terminal.  And there was the line.

About 60-70 people long and only one agent checking people in.  Really?  One agent?  Yes.  Ugh.  Once we cleared that it was a fairly short walk to a quick security line and the TSA check.  So, if you are tempted to book an earlier flight (ours was 12:15), be aware that these kinds of things can get ugly and stressful and you might miss your flight.

So after experiencing the relative joys of Business Class I wiggled around in Coach like a five year old in church.  And the tv didn’t work.  And the back of the seat was at my knees.  And I couldn’t recline and torment the person behind me.  I REALLY liked Business Class, and that knowledge is making my husband nervous.

So, now overall thoughts.

Loved the ship.  She’s a beauty.

The CD, David Nevin is fabulous. 
Loved our suite.

We thought the entertainment was excellent.  The entertainment staff is full of talent.

We enjoyed the games, the Mensa quizzes each day, and Trivia.

There is plenty to do every day.  More than enough.  I can’t imagine being bored.

There was so much to do that some days we didn’t really sit and read or relax.

95% of the food was excellent.  But there were some misses.  On Explorer our favorite restaurant was Compass Rose…the quality and variety made it hard to even go to the Specialties!  But CR was not quite as good this time.  I had three meals that arrived just warm, not hot.  I didn’t send them back since we were dining with others and I didn’t want to disrupt the flow of dinner.  In other circumstances I would have and I absolutely know they would have hurried to make it right.

We did not find quite as much consistency in the drinks.  On Explorer every time we ordered a Voyager it was the same, no matter where we ordered it.  There was not quite the same consistency on this ship…..training opportunities. 

Passengers were lovely.  Lots of smiling, happy people.  I strongly suggest being open to sharing tables if you want additional reservations in Chartreuse or Prime or Pacific Rim.  We met some really nice people, and hope to stay in touch with them.

After doing the activities and games, the daily riddle, Mensa and Trivia, we had about 230 points.  We exchanged those for a long sleeve wicking shirt, a polo shirt, two visors, one pink cap, and one sleeve of golf balls.  It was fun.  I’d recommend doing these things when you are on a low key trip like this with lots of sea days.  

I STILL didn’t do any of the crafts, for the second cruise in a row.  Time just FLEW.

So ends this saga.  I have loved and appreciated the support and comments and meeting some of you.  And hope to meet others on future cruises.  If you have further questions I will be glad to answer.  

Here’s to you all!  Safe travels!  I’ll end like I started, with champagne glass in hand.

image.thumb.jpeg.e100072b74d58f8af72fa547d4c2d5c5.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

On 12/3/2022 at 3:33 PM, PinkMEB said:

Just want to say how much I have enjoyed your blog. It especially was interesting since I’ve been on the Explorer and Splendor. I’m curious if writing is your profession. You surely bring your experience to life. 

Awww, thanks for posting!  No, I’ve never been a writer.  I was a teacher and then a regional manager.  

• Like 1

@ON cruiser  I think I remember you!  Looking forward to meeting up again on the Navigator.  I appreciate you adding your thoughts!  You addressed several things I forgot… I agree about the weather.  Excellent for the most part but warm.  Way warmer than our previous November crossing.  I was woefully short on warm weather clothing.

Also forgot to mention how much we loved Pacific Rim.  We had two excellent meals there.  The miso sea bass is the stuff of dreams, IMO.  

re San Juan, two additional thoughts.  One thing that made it so frustrating was that it basically chewed up the morning.  You couldn’t go to the gym, or the pool and just kind of fiddled around waiting to be called off the ship.  So it pretty much cost half of a day.

On the other hand, when we got to Miami we had passport in hand but no one even glanced at them.  They just waved us through.

And, thanks for the reminder about Gino.  Enjoyed him a lot.  And he does Name That Tune in the evenings.

One last comment.  I put my photo up, in spite of being reticent to do so, so I could meet people on the ship and get input from others as I posted comments.  I met with and interacted with lots of wonderful people as a result.  (Bob and Maria, Lorraine and Bob, to mention a few).  So I suggest this to others who do a trip report.  I think it is nice to know the face behind the words and I often read interesting or funny posts and wonder who the person is behind their CC name, and if I have passed them in the hallways or sat near them in a bar and never knew.  New faces, new places, new friends…

• Like 5

On 12/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, BBWC said:

I have seen entertainment staff help with checking in on embarkation day, but I think they have a different type of visa. Doesn’t NCL have a US-based facility where the production casts, including Regent’s, practice the shows? So I assume they are allowed to work in the US.

Yes, they start out with rehearsals in Florida. Partly because of what they do, and partly because their actual employer may not be Regent/NCL but instead an entertainment contractor, they may have something other than the crew visa that others who work on the ship have. It would still be a “nonimmigrant” visa of some sort, which would limit their allowed activities to the terms under which the visa was issued. 

If they help with check-in on shore in the U.S., it may be that they are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. If it’s in a country other than the U.S. the rules of that country apply and they may not be as restricted. During the recent cruise, I saw the entertainment staff helping check-in on shore only in one port (I’m thinking it was Barcelona, but am not sure).  

16 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

So after experiencing the relative joys of Business Class I wiggled around in Coach like a five year old in church.  And the tv didn’t work.  And the back of the seat was at my knees.  And I couldn’t recline and torment the person behind me.  I REALLY liked Business Class, and that knowledge is making my husband nervous.

This made me laugh so hard! Have only flown business class on the two trips I've taken in the last year thanks to the included airfare.

Next week I fly from Tucson to Okinawa, Japan on my own dime, economy.

Pray for me!

2 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

This made me laugh so hard! Have only flown business class on the two trips I've taken in the last year thanks to the included airfare.

Next week I fly from Tucson to Okinawa, Japan on my own dime, economy.

Pray for me!

Oh, woe!  Wow, that is a loooooooong way.  We lived in Korea for a year when we were first married, and I still remember that dreadful flight.  It was centuries long.   And that was San Francisco to Seoul.  I expected the rise and fall of empires to have occurred during all that time.  By the time I fell off that plane I’m not sure I was fully aware of where I was.  BTW, we lived a few years in Tucson when my husband flew A-10’s.  I have great memories of Tucson.

I hope you will be able to sleep and that you find some great entertainment to distract yourself!  Safe travels…

GP thanks again for taking us along. I am looking forward to your next cruise and commentary almost as much as i am looking forward to our first cruise in 3 years that we will be on in January/February 2023.  If time and the internet allow, I will try and do a blow by blow of our trip though i doubt it will be half as entertaining as yours. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:18 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Awww, thanks for posting!  No, I’ve never been a writer.  I was a teacher and then a regional manager.  

I knew it, I'm guessing English, not math.  Your prose is both too clean and too lively to have not worked with words at some point.  Anyway, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

And your husband flew a Warthog?  Oh the stories....

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

I knew it, I'm guessing English, not math.  Your prose is both too clean and too lively to have not worked with words at some point.  Anyway, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

And your husband flew a Warthog?  Oh the stories....

@KenzSailing I guess you’ll be surprised to know that I taught elementary school for 20 years +, mostly fourth and fifth grades, and a few years of 7th and 8th grades in middle school.  My Master’s Degree is in Middle Grades Math and Science!  I am a book lover, though, and am a happy camper with a book in my hand.  

He flew A-10’s and F-16’s, and between the two he loved the old Warthog the most.  He always says, who wouldn’t love flying a plane that drops bombs, shoots missiles and has a Gatling gun on the front?  If you know the A-10 you must know about planes!

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 3

@gaeltrav someone named Mary is wanting to find you.  She posted on a Facebook page (RSSC Social Club) that she played Trivia with you on the Splendor but has lost your contact information.  She mentioned you by name and I gave her your CC name and how to contact you via this trip report.  Her post is below.  Hope this helps!

Joanie

This is a long shot,, but we just got off the Splendor in Miami (11/3). We made good friends with a lovely couple from Canada, and played on a Trivia team with them, daily. They gave us their contact info, but it was lost during packing. They were in Suite 838 and their names were Emmer and Dale. Emmer is a physician, retired. If anyone has their contact info, would you kindly let me know and we could go from there. We'd welcome other suggestions, as well. Thank you!