Would a 16-year-old enjoy the Celebrity Beyond on a holiday cruise?

Sigyn

I'm looking ahead at Christmas 2023 cruises and I'm wondering if our son, who will be 16 for holiday cruises next year, would enjoy the Celebrity Beyond. Is there enough for a teenager to do on a Celebrity ship such as the Beyond? We are doing our first-ever holiday cruise this year on an NCL ship, the Prima, which is a brand new ship and it targets an older audience than your typical family-oriented ship, in that it doesn't have an abundance of water slides, games, etc. The Prima has a go-kart track, mini golf, darts, VR and AR experiences, etc. 

The reason I'm considering Celebrity for next year's holiday cruise is because my husband and I will be on Celebrity next summer to visit Alaska, and I've heard so many amazing things already about Celebrity that I know we are going to simply fall in love with the cruise line. And second, Celebrity has an amazing itinerary for a holiday cruise, heading to the ABC islands, Panama, etc., for an 11-day cruise that would just be unforgettable. HAL has a variation of that itinerary but I don't want to sail on HAL. And while Royal has it, too, I don't like the times Royal is in port and my friends all say that we'd enjoy Celebrity so much more than Royal. 

My big concern is whether our teenager would enjoy Celebrity. He likes to swim and, as a mostly only child (his step siblings don't live with us), he's used to doing a lot on his own. We'll be in port most days, and he likes to run and work out, play video games on his phone, nap, etc. It's not as if he has to be entertained 24/7. He is also used to going to high-end restaurants with us, and knows how to be sociable and handle himself around adults. He's very polite and well mannered. 

9 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I'm looking ahead at Christmas 2023 cruises and I'm wondering if our son, who will be 16 for holiday cruises next year, would enjoy the Celebrity Beyond. Is there enough for a teenager to do on a Celebrity ship such as the Beyond? We are doing our first-ever holiday cruise this year on an NCL ship, the Prima, which is a brand new ship and it targets an older audience than your typical family-oriented ship, in that it doesn't have an abundance of water slides, games, etc. The Prima has a go-kart track, mini golf, darts, VR and AR experiences, etc. 

The reason I'm considering Celebrity for next year's holiday cruise is because my husband and I will be on Celebrity next summer to visit Alaska, and I've heard so many amazing things already about Celebrity that I know we are going to simply fall in love with the cruise line. And second, Celebrity has an amazing itinerary for a holiday cruise, heading to the ABC islands, Panama, etc., for an 11-day cruise that would just be unforgettable. HAL has a variation of that itinerary but I don't want to sail on HAL. And while Royal has it, too, I don't like the times Royal is in port and my friends all say that we'd enjoy Celebrity so much more than Royal. 

My big concern is whether our teenager would enjoy Celebrity. He likes to swim and, as a mostly only child (his step siblings don't live with us), he's used to doing a lot on his own. We'll be in port most days, and he likes to run and work out, play video games on his phone, nap, etc. It's not as if he has to be entertained 24/7. He is also used to going to high-end restaurants with us, and knows how to be sociable and handle himself around adults. He's very polite and well mannered. 

Based on what you say is your son's habits you should be ok. But it will be 180 degrees the opposite of the Prima. Celebrity is a make your own kind of fun cruiseline. There's a new post here about a couple in their early 50s who said they were bored on the Solstice, and prefer Royal Caribbean. They felt there wasn't anything to do during the daytime, which is very true. Celebrity has very, very low key programming. I was just on the Beyond and the most high energy pool deck activity was dance cardio led by the CD. 

• Like 2

I think you answered your own question - NO for a teen on Beyond during a holiday cruise. First, let me inform you that we are on that cruise and are well into senior years like a lot of cruisers that have 11 day or more to cruise. Will there be other teens?

We just got off the Beyond on 11/4 after a 9 day cruise, and the demographics were well into the seventies with lots of wheelchairs and scoters, but few if any “teens”.

Hal

33 minutes ago, njsmom said:

We are doing our first-ever holiday cruise this year on an NCL ship, the Prima, which is a brand new ship and it targets an older audience than your typical family-oriented ship, in that it doesn't have an abundance of water slides, games, etc. The Prima has a go-kart track, mini golf, darts, VR and AR experiences, etc. 

I'm not sure why you think the Prima is less family oriented than other ships. There's two different slides,wet and dry, a water park for small kids, Virtual Reality games for older kids/adults, and the Stadium area with all the outdoor games. 

Edited by kwokpot

My kids were 16 and 13 when we took them on Edge for Christmas in 2019. They had a great time! They've been on about a dozen Celebrity cruises, along with another dozen on Carnival and RCCL.

They're used to entertaining themselves and most importantly, they still like hanging out with us. They love the ports, the food, the shows, the live music around the ship, the silent disco and occasionally trivia. They use the app and always find something to add to their schedule. I've never heard them say "I'm bored". My son discovered the teen clubs this summer and really enjoyed himself, but neither of them have ever been into the kids clubs.

Here's our photo album from that cruise -- happy, smiling faces. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hU893tVRehasGiXh7

• Like 6

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

Yes, absolutely 100% yes, we did a 10-day cruise in the Mediterranean with my daughter over the summer and she had a blast. They will definitely be other kids onboard because it's the holiday season. The kids on her cruise still have a group chat going and they keep in touch. She is a cruiser for life!! No better way to travel. Taking her back on celebrity next summer to Greece and turkey. You don't listen to the naysayers on this board and go for it !

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure why you think the Prima is less family oriented than other ships. There's two different slides,wet and dry, a water park for small kids, Virtual Reality games for older kids/adults, and the Stadium area with all the outdoor games. 

I didn't think it was when I booked it, but then a lot of people who have reviewed it have said that. I think they mean for little kids. There isn't an abundance of things to entertain kids under, say, 12 years old. 

This is obviously a very individual specific question but we were on the Edge recently and found it to be a little "dull" especially at night and we are in our 50s.  Still loved it and are trying out the Apex next but I can definitely see where some teenagers might not be thrilled with the entertainment options. We saw a  few smaller children on our cruise but virtually no teens.  

2 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

My neighbor who is on her late 30's has been sailing Celebrity 3x a year for 10 years.  All she needs is a sun deck , good food, and the Caribbean and she is happy.    You know your son best 

This is exactly why we are breaking away from Carnival and taking our first Celebrity cruise in January. We don't want to be entertained 24/7 -- just want to relax. 

• Like 3

I would say yes!

Does he like good food? Great services? Pool? Whirlpool? Sun deck? Gym? A message? Spending time with family? Surrounded by very nice and polite people?

Would he be entertained with a phone? A book? Video game devices he can bring? Mostly good internet? Port excursions that you choose? Shows?

If he can answer yes to a good chunk of these questions, he will have a great time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When my 5 kids were teenagers on sea days they either slept in the room or at the pool, ate, listened to music, watched movies or tv shows they downloaded, ate, napped, and were happy.  Port days they always had fun as their dad prefers activities that are like teenagers.  So my question is do they need to be constantly entertained at home by you or the environment or can they adapt?  Mine fortunately were happy just doing their thing and relaxing at the pool or the room or the gym.  They had their phones and their laptops/tablets and headphones.  Some may say you should take their electronics away so that they can enjoy the experience and family time.  We save those times for meals and the ports.  They were much happier when we allowed them to enjoy vacations in their way and didn't force them to enjoy it in a perceived way.

My husband and I are on the December 22 2023 Beyond sailing as our kids are all grown and working and can't get off for 11 days.  When I showed them videos of the ship, they all said where was THIS ship when we were on cruises with you!  I think your son will like it.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

When my 5 kids were teenagers on sea days they either slept in the room or at the pool, ate, listened to music, watched movies or tv shows they downloaded, ate, napped, and were happy.  Port days they always had fun as their dad prefers activities that are like teenagers.  So my question is do they need to be constantly entertained at home by you or the environment or can they adapt?  Mine fortunately were happy just doing their thing and relaxing at the pool or the room or the gym.  They had their phones and their laptops/tablets and headphones.  Some may say you should take their electronics away so that they can enjoy the experience and family time.  We save those times for meals and the ports.  They were much happier when we allowed them to enjoy vacations in their way and didn't force them to enjoy it in a perceived way.

My husband and I are on the December 22 2023 Beyond sailing as our kids are all grown and working and can't get off for 11 days.  When I showed them videos of the ship, they all said where was THIS ship when we were on cruises with you!  I think your son will like it.  

My son does a three-week summer camp where no electronic are allowed - just surfing, swimming, sailing, etc., and he LOVES it. He said it's actually a relief to not have to think about looking at his phone.  He makes new friends every summer. Of course, they keep in touch throughout the year with their phones, but that's okay.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, njsmom said:

My son does a three-week summer camp where no electronic are allowed - just surfing, swimming, sailing, etc., and he LOVES it. He said it's actually a relief to not have to think about looking at his phone.  He makes new friends every summer. Of course, they keep in touch throughout the year with their phones, but that's okay.

that's great.  One of my kids did 4 weeks in Botswana where they only could use their phones about 3x.  If an emergency, the group leaders would contact us.  He had a great time.  He was 15 at the time.  On our cruises or land, when they had their phones, they used them on down time not the ports as we were too busy.  I think this age is definitely easier than under 10.

• Like 2

Well we will have the answer to this next month when we take our 16 and 19yo on Apex over the holiday.  As stated, im sure it depends on what your kids want to do, but ours specifically requested no more RCL or NCL.  They just want to relax and do some diving at the islands.  We were on NCL Getaway last holiday and they really just spent most of their time either in the gym or on their ipads somewhere on the ship.  They didnt even want to to do the water sides.  They just looked forward to the shore excursions when we got to each port.  I thought the slides were fun though...

• Like 3

My DH and I sail Celebrity because we love the Celebrity experience.  Our kids, later teens, have been on Celebrity several times and have always had a great time -- probably the most fun as teens.  You just have to convince your son to go to the Teen Club the first night.  I read that advice before our first cruise with kids, and it was dead on.  My son still is in contact with kids he met on a cruise 10 years ago!  I find that most teens just want to hang out with other teens. 

As a side note, we took the kids on a high school graduation cruise on Royal since we thought they would enjoy alll the "fun" stuff (slides, ice-skating, surfing, etc.) -- they did not use these activities once!!  Go figure!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

My DH and I sail Celebrity because we love the Celebrity experience.  Our kids, later teens, have been on Celebrity several times and have always had a great time -- probably the most fun as teens.  You just have to convince your son to go to the Teen Club the first night.  I read that advice before our first cruise with kids, and it was dead on.  My son still is in contact with kids he met on a cruise 10 years ago!  I find that most teens just want to hang out with other teens. 

As a side note, we took the kids on a high school graduation cruise on Royal since we thought they would enjoy alll the "fun" stuff (slides, ice-skating, surfing, etc.) -- they did not use these activities once!!  Go figure!

All it takes is one kid I a group to say something isn’t “cool”..and that’s it ,it’s not cool. I can hear one now, that stuff is for little kids. 

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

All it takes is one kid I a group to say something isn’t “cool”..and that’s it ,it’s not cool. I can hear one now, that stuff is for little kids. 

Honestly, one of the fun things about taking teens cruising for Christmas is it allows them to be little kids again. They looked forward to doing some of the ship's activities, caroling, cookie decorating, gingerbread house making, coloring, and yes, even visiting Santa! It was almost like having my babies back for a moment or two.

I was sad the oldest didn't want to cruise this Christmas, but instead my husband and I will be going by ourselves the week before. This is the first time that's happened since 2015!

Holiday cruises are overflowing with families.   The average age is much younger than the typical cruise.  The workers tell us that the ship sails with close to maximum capacity, that is 3 to 4 in every cabin.   Those extra spaces are filled with children. 

I am sure that he will make friends to hang out with if he wants to.    

They have a teen program but many don’t like it because of the age range.   My niece was 17 and said she didn’t want to be around 13 to 15 year olds.   She said it wasn’t a good age to be on a cruise.   She wasn’t old enough to be considered a adult and felt too old (mature) to be grouped with the teens.  

Being 16 there may be a problem if he wants to use the gym.  I think the minimum age is 18.  There may be exceptions if accompanied by an adult.   I don’t really know as i don’t have to be concerned about not being old enough.  

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, miched said:

Holiday cruises are overflowing with families.   The average age is much younger than the typical cruise.  The workers tell us that the ship sails with close to maximum capacity, that is 3 to 4 in every cabin.   Those extra spaces are filled with children. 

I am sure that he will make friends to hang out with if he wants to.    

Being 16 there may be a problem if he wants to use the gym.  I think the minimum age is 18.  There may be exceptions if accompanied by an adult.   I don’t really know as i don’t have to be concerned about not being old enough.  

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It 16yo, we checked last year, however hes been using cruise ship gyms since he was 14 and has never had anyone ask if he was old enough. 

Is there an age restriction for the Fitness Center?

Fitness Center guests must be 16 years of age or older to use the facilities. Teenagers and children are welcome to enjoy the running track on the open deck. Guests 16 years of age and older will have full gym access between 6am to 10pm daily as well as a diverse range of complimentary fitness classes.

• Like 1