Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

We were in a CS on the Apex TA last November and had rough seas for several days from hurricane swells.  I remember when standing outside The Club waiting for an elevator thinking that the creaking was so loud it sounded as if the ship was going to crack in half.  It was really bad inside the suite for those days too.  Only kept me awake on the worst rough sea days but it seems this class of ship has  more than its share of creaky noises.

I was on the Beyond the beginning of January this year on deck 7 forward.  The seas were calm until the last night but there was a lot of banging and a noise that reminded me of when the anchor goes down.  I am a light sleeper but I always travel with earplugs.

I was on the Holiday Beyond sailing in Sunset Verandah # 9327. During 2 of the 3 last nights, I about lost it, due to the loud banging/creaking every 5 seconds. No matter how late, drunk, or tired I was, it was bad. This almost drove me to ANY other quiet spot! BUT, what a beautiful ship the Beyond is!

• Haha 1

I again raise the question, are these loud noises infrequent issues or are they inherent in the unhe hsual engineering design of the Edge Class vessels.   Rather than having a lot of structural weight support by the exterior hull, these ships rely on a strong core to support much of the weight and stress.  By moving more of the superstructure inward, the design allows for more living space closer to the outer hull.  This endoskeleton design has benefits in terms of cabin space but moves away from the traditional solid hull design.   With less solid superstructure on the exterior, is this leading to more flexing and noise?  

Hank

• Thanks 2

On 11/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, mfs2k said:

I'm thinking your cabin "container" may not be bolted to the frame and that's why you're hearing loud noises.  There are likely gaps between the container and the ship framework. 

If the bolts are missing, the metal on metal will creak and knock. 

Hopefully the ship doesn't make any sharp turns resulting in unbolted cabins sliding into the sea. Fingers crossed. 

When Beyond was built X had the design Stretched to add more Cabins.

I wonder if that could contribute to it "flexing" more?

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I again raise the question, are these loud noises infrequent issues or are they inherent in the unhe hsual engineering design of the Edge Class vessels.   Rather than having a lot of structural weight support by the exterior hull, these ships rely on a strong core to support much of the weight and stress.  By moving more of the superstructure inward, the design allows for more living space closer to the outer hull.  This endoskeleton design has benefits in terms of cabin space but moves away from the traditional solid hull design.   With less solid superstructure on the exterior, is this leading to more flexing and noise?  

Hank

We were on the Beyond in November 2022 and I read about all the banging noises, but we only experienced it a little bit on one night. We had fairly calm waters so I don't know why it clanged occasionally that one night. We were on deck 11 aft.

2 hours ago, D. B. said:

It is only 67 ft longer than the Edge and Apex (6.7%) , and only 24 ft longer than the Reflection; not sure if that makes a big difference.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Funny we were on the Infinity early Feb 2010 and we hit a Drake's passage storm  with 38 ft seas and 75 knot winds.  The Captain diverted to Ushuia and we still hit the tail end of the storm.  There was no direction to hide. 

Noise was extreme - the sliders were vibrating from the air pressure and the ship shuddered all nigh from waves hitting the hull.  Creaking was the less of the evils.

That is notoriously one of the roughest seas on Earth. More rogue waves occur down there than any other place on Earth. It's still really beautiful. I would love to do a South American cruise around the bottom and by the Chilean fjords. My in-laws enjoyed theirs. We did a land vacation through Patagonia, including Punta Arenas, right before Covid. We didn't go through the actual strait though.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:52 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I think you are onto something with the Edge class ship design being the issue. We experienced the same on Edge recently and just thought there was a troop of acrobats or herd of elephants above us. LOL! Seriously though there was so much noise day and night we thought we were going to loose it several times. Guess sleep deprivation does that to you! Between the banging, infinite balcony noises, and creaking/popping walls we didn't sleep more than a few hours at most per night if we were lucky.

This also explains why Guest Services who kept "investigating the source of noise" never came up with a reason or solution.

This makes me hesitant to book any other Edge Class ship...

On 11/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, RichYak said:

If it were me, I'd be posting that video on social media sites, tagging everyone I could think of that could effect change.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:21 AM, RobertoF said:

Finally had time to upload a video of what our cabin 6176 sounded like.  I unfortunately did not take a video of the first night leaving Port Everglades, since it was late and we were trying to sleep.  But this video of us leaving Nassau in calm conditions will give you an idea of what we endured:

https://youtu.be/W8kbP54Jj9c

OMG!  I think Celebrity has a major problem on their hands if others are experiencing noise like you did. This was the cabin they moved you to, correct? The audio is worth a million words. Forget sleeping, I don’t know how you enjoyed any time in your cabin. 

This video was taken from our original room on day 2.  They moved us to another room that was quieter but still had some occasional "popping" noises like in the video (nowhere near as bad though).  They also gave us access to another room to sleep in that was quiet.  We are hardly in our cabin except to sleep, so we managed OK with the accomodation, and we were appreciative that Celebrity was responsive and did not simply deny there was a problem.  We also noticed that if we opened the veranda window the noise stopped (although the AC turns off), so if it bothered us during the day we would just open the window.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:30 PM, D. B. said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've been on the first Edge out of the US and didn't experience these issues. Also, was on the Apex, and no noise.

On 2/5/2023 at 6:28 PM, Boytjie said:

It is only 67 ft longer than the Edge and Apex (6.7%) , and only 24 ft longer than the Reflection; not sure if that makes a big difference.

67 feet could just be too much, but I'm not an engineer.  The Reflection is not an Edge class ship so I do not think you can compare since it is a different design.

58 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've been on the first Edge out of the US and didn't experience these issues. Also, was on the Apex, and no noise.

I was on the first Edge transatlantic, and I did have these issues when we sailed around a storm (midship cabin, deck 12). The creaking, popping and loud banging kept me awake, despite earplugs. I heard similar noises on Edge when we skirted a storm in the Caribbean, but they weren’t as loud (midship SS, deck 10). Though we did go around a storm in the Caribbean, I did not experience cabin noise issues on my recent b2b on Apex (SV, deck 8). For context, the roughest seas were on that 15-night Edge TA, and I was only impacted on the one stormy night. I believe this is an Edge class issue. It is certainly not limited to Beyond. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh no, no, no...just listened to the video posted by @RobertoF.  That is some serious noise...very distracting during the day and can only imagine that it's even worse when one is trying to sleep.  Celebrity should not sell these cabins until the issue is corrected.

I agree that the noise in the OP’s video would be impossible to ignore, but I don’t think Celebrity can simply put cabins on a “do not sell” list. Thus far, there’s no evidence that the horrendously loud noises are always present in specific cabins. Instead, there were multiple noise reports from midship cabins on upper decks on cruise my Edge TA, and reports about other cabin locations on Edge class ships on other cruises. Most - though certainly not all - reports have been related to higher seas due to storms. I had one miserable sleepless night on Edge, but that did not sour me on Edge class. I have b2bs booked on both Apex and Edge. We’ll see how things go in the North Sea and the Tasman Sea. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ljk76 said:

OMG!  I think Celebrity has a major problem on their hands if others are experiencing noise like you did. This was the cabin they moved you to, correct? The audio is worth a million words. Forget sleeping, I don’t know how you enjoyed any time in your cabin. 

This is exactly what my cabin sounded like, 11208, it drove me crazy. We were not in rough seas during this. I almost went out to the pool deck to sleep. This ship is so beautiful, I hope they can resolve these issues.

Considering the Beyond in 2024.  Having read this topic I have a question about the noisy cabins.  Most appear to be outside cabins, have there also been many reports of inside cabins with the same issues?  We have sailed Millenium class and Solstice Class many times and thought we would finally try the Beyond in an inside cabin.  I am afraid this issue would be a deal breaker for me if it is a problem. 

19 minutes ago, awfw said:

Considering the Beyond in 2024.  Having read this topic I have a question about the noisy cabins.  Most appear to be outside cabins, have there also been many reports of inside cabins with the same issues?  We have sailed Millenium class and Solstice Class many times and thought we would finally try the Beyond in an inside cabin.  I am afraid this issue would be a deal breaker for me if it is a problem. 

We’ve been on the Edge on deck 11 SV and experienced some rough seas and never heard a peep

7 hours ago, awfw said:

I believe I heard one complaint about noise on an inside cabin on the Beyond.  Staff at customer relations seemed confident that if we slept in an inside cabin there would be no noise.  I would be very confident that there will be no noise on an inside cabin on the Beyond, based on everything I have heard about the ship.  The fact that the noise went away when I opened the IV window tells me the problem is with certain IV cabins.  From what I have seen and heard, I would say the vast majority of the noise complaints, perhaps 90% or more, are from people staying in IV cabins.  That is why I am so confident that an inside cabin should be fine (along with oceanviews and probably sunset verandas as well since they do not have the stupid IV window).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:21 PM, Boytjie said:

We were on the Beyond in November 2022 and I read about all the banging noises, but we only experienced it a little bit on one night. We had fairly calm waters so I don't know why it clanged occasionally that one night. We were on deck 11 aft.

We were on Deck 11 (mid) in January and lucky to have calm seas, except for the last night which was a little choppy but nothing terrible.  On that night, there was quite a bit of clanging going on.  It sounded like a piece of metal was loose on the outside of the ship and was banging against the hull.  

I loved the ship though and would take my chances and book it again.  I hope they can eventually fix the problem.

Just off the Beyond in Sky Suite 10140 and relatives is 10142. The noise was unreal - cracking, popping and slamming (kept thinking the door was opening and closing) any time we were underway and even in moderate seas. It was worse when we had some rolling seas but still very noisy regardless. Noise cancelling headphones did not help. My relative had maintenance come twice to make "adjustments". That was a waste of time. Our assumption is that it is a design issue and there is nothing they can do to "fix" it. The noise was a topic multiple people joined in whenever we discussed, so not an isolated problem to this deck or class of cabins. We sailed on the Edge twice in same location (SS & CS) and never experienced anything like this. We won't sail Beyond again for this reason - my husband calls it Cap't Kate's Creaky Crate. It's such a shame, as this ship is beautiful and we loved almost everything about it - except if you want to sleep.

• Thanks 1